Russian Borscht

Author
Laserwolf
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
2010/01/12 15:12:42 (permalink)

Russian Borscht

I was actually looking for another recipe when I came across this one for a Russian Borscht from an interesting site:  Russian Borscht. I'd really like to make this soon and was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me roughly how authentic the recipe is. I realize the Short Ribs are probably not the norm, but other than that will this taste like what Borscht should taste like?

Also, I want to make a few Russian sides to go with it and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. I know I want to do some sort of a bread, and I found the following recipe which sounds promising as well: http://www.recipezaar.com/Uncle-Bills-Russian-Cabbage-Rolls-35722.

Appreciate it.

6 Replies Related Threads

Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Russian Borscht 2010/01/12 16:47:38 (permalink)
    I have never had a borscht that had any meat product in it.  In the kosher tradition, borscht is dairy (at least in my experience).
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18704
    Re:Russian Borscht 2010/01/12 17:03:42 (permalink)
    Pigiron

I have never had a borscht that had any meat product in it.  In the kosher tradition, borscht is dairy (at least in my experience).

There are lots of borscht's with meat, including in the Jewish tradition.

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/SOUPS/Borscht_Winter_-_meat.html
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:Russian Borscht 2010/01/12 18:32:35 (permalink)
    the cabbage rolls recipe is pretty close to what my mom-mom always made - she came over here from poland. many polish/russian foods are similar, if not identical in some cases - recipes vary a bit by region.  so, i'd say that's a basically authentic recipe.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8119
    Re:Russian Borscht 2010/01/12 18:34:02 (permalink)
    Some borscht (s) have flanken in them.  I think Short ribs uld be perfect but trim off a lot of the fat first.
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Russian Borscht 2010/01/13 04:17:30 (permalink)
     I have seen a recipe from the Ukraine that calls for pork shoulder. There are a lot of veggies that go in there though. This is the style that we serve at the restaurant. I'll see if I can remember all of the veggies that go in.

Potatoes, Cabbage, Beets, Onions, Carrots, Kale, Turnips, Parsnips, Parsley, Cilantro, Garlic.

This soup is not pureed. Nor is it served with any dairy. Being that it is made with pork means that it is NOT Kosher.

David O.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re:Russian Borscht 2010/01/15 14:49:31 (permalink)
    In the 1960's we lived on an Air Force base in Tokyo, and my parents would go to a small restaurant downtown, owned by a Russian gentleman, and get an order of borscht and piroski(sp?).  The owner promised to give my mother recipes for both when they left for the states, but only gave her the piroski recipe - she experimented with years to make the borscht she remembered, but I don't think she ever did.  I don't even know if it's authentic, but she would make piroski once in a while.  Looking at the recipe, there's not a lot to the filling, ground meat, onion, and chopped boiled egg, rolled into a smaller version of an eggroll and deep fried.  She would put out small bowls of catsup, and hot mustard (Coleman's mustard mixed with ice water) for dipping.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1