The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Fri, 02/1/08 4:31 PM (permalink)
A friend sent me this which is just fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmM_UPU7bcY

Here's the text of what came with it:

Russia now has #1 fighter plane in the world... Su-30MKI- Vectored Thrust with Canards. As you watch this airplane, look at the canards moving along side of, and just below the canopy rail. The "canards" are the small wings forward of the main wings.? The smoke and contrails provide a sense of the actual flight path, sometimes in reverse direction.

This video is of an in-flight demonstration flown by the Russian's-30MK fighter aircraft.? You will not believe what you are about to see.

The fighter can stall from high speed, stopping forward motion in seconds.
(full stall). Then it demonstrates an ability to descend tail first without causing a compressor stall. It can also recover from a flat spin in less than a minute.

These maneuver capabilities don't exist in any other aircraft in the world today.. Take a look at the video with the sound up. This aircraft is of concern to U.S. and NATO planners. We don't know which nations will soon be flying the SU-30MK, hopefully China isn't one of them..

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Note:

Friends worked with advanced aircraft flight control systems and concepts for many years as an extension of stability control and means of control.
Canards and vectored thrust were among many concepts examined to extend our fighter aircraft performance. Neither our current or next generation aircraft now poised for funding & production can in any way match the performance of this Russian aircraft NOW FLYING in any near combat situation.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Fri, 02/1/08 5:11 PM (permalink)
    Impressive

I still love watching these[url='http://www.f22-raptor.com/media/video_gallery/videos/F22_AirShow_Langley.wmv']BIRDS[/url] fly over head at my dad's.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
      RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Fri, 02/1/08 5:17 PM (permalink)
      It is one hell of an aircraft, for sure. Early versions were comparable to the F15E; the added canards and thrust vectoring of the MKI, along with modern avionics and newer engines, validate the power of the design of the original SU-27.

In mock combat, American pilots vs American pilots, the Su-30-MK (not the newer MKI) defeated the F15E 9-1.

IMO the real difference will always be pilot and tactics.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
        RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Fri, 02/1/08 5:21 PM (permalink)
        "Russia now has #1 fighter plane in the world"

Sorry MFL but I doubt that.

MilwFoodlovers

RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Fri, 02/1/08 5:40 PM (permalink)
          JohnA, "I" never said that, let's be clear on that. Still, do we have any fighters that are better? I'm curious. I'm seeing that variations of this fighter have been around since 1996 and here's a clip of one crashing at The Paris Air Show in 1999 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL2oiW96PEE yet if we have the #1 fighter in the world, what model is it?

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
            RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Fri, 02/1/08 5:45 PM (permalink)
            NEVER underestimate the Russians.

EDIT: And never trust them.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
              RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Fri, 02/1/08 9:54 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Russia now has #1 fighter plane in the world.

Is curtains for moose and squirrel.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Fri, 02/1/08 11:05 PM (permalink)
                It is one hell of an airplane. But in a world where speed is life, the ability to stop and "cobra strike" is worthless. Situational awareness wins air battles. Someone is going to shoot someone else down from 50 miles away. The F-22 Raptor's stealth capability gives it a huge edge in the factors that really matter. Again, a superior pilot with superior awareness is much more important than being in a plane that has incrementally better performance.

And anyhow, these are weapons for the last war. These types of weapons will most likely never face each other, ever again. During WW2 the powers built hundreds of thousands of fighter planes; Germany built over 30,000 Me-109s alone! There are a few hundred SU30MKIs, and 91 Raptors. There are fewer than 1000 F-15A/B/C/Ds (not counting Strike Eagles). There are 217 Strike Eagles.

unabashed

• Total Posts: 435
                  RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Sat, 02/2/08 12:23 AM (permalink)
                  OUR F22 will blow it out of the sky 25 miles away.hmmm I hope so....
                  remember when we were lending money to Russia......stupid move.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                    RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Sat, 02/2/08 7:35 AM (permalink)
                    Tomcats could shoot down from 40-50 miles away and they're retired. We know about the Raptor, what's on the boards we are not aware of?

NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
                      RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Sat, 02/2/08 8:24 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by John A

Tomcats could shoot down from 40-50 miles away and they're retired. We know about the Raptor, what's on the boards we are not aware of?

Actually the AIM-54 Phoenix Missle used on the F-14 had a range in excess of 100 nautical miles.
                      http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/aim-54.htm

MilwFoodlovers

RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Sat, 02/2/08 10:12 AM (permalink)
                        Since my initial posting, I did a little internet sleuthing. It seems that India has invested heavily into the plane.Following joint manuevers, the Indians invited the American pilots to try them out for themselves. By all accounts the Americans were blown away and felt the Su-30MKI superior. That said, it appears the days of the one on one dogfights are gone the way of the flintlock. As several posters noted, any battles will be done at a great distance and our Stealth fighter-bomber should easily prevail.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                          RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Sat, 02/2/08 12:54 PM (permalink)

John posted this link some time back, looks like the Raptor was accomplishing the same manuevers, or not?

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23126&SearchTerms=raptor

MilwFoodlovers

RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Sat, 02/2/08 1:23 PM (permalink)
                            This wasn't the article I read yesterday but it dealt with the subject somewhat http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-2735-start-30.html
                            Watching these two video's I'm struck with the thought of what would Wilbur, Orville, Charles, Amelia, Willy, Billy and the other aviation pioneers think if they could have watched these video's?
                            120 feet, 10 feet off the ground in Kitty Hawk was flown only a little over 105 years ago!

Mack184

• Total Posts: 252
                              RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Mon, 02/4/08 8:31 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

This wasn't the article I read yesterday but it dealt with the subject somewhat http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-2735-start-30.html
                              Watching these two video's I'm struck with the thought of what would Wilbur, Orville, Charles, Amelia, Willy, Billy and the other aviation pioneers think if they could have watched these video's?
                              120 feet, 10 feet off the ground in Kitty Hawk was flown only a little over 105 years ago!

I have often wondered what people thought when they saw their first airplane back in the day. My grandmother was born in 1899, and lived until 1987. During her time we went from riding a horse to landing men on the moon. From counting on your fingers to IBM computers. While we often think that the world is changing quickly, I think it must have been unbelieveable to them.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                                RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Tue, 06/18/13 6:03 AM (permalink)
                                The Paris Airshow is on now. I've seen little on the news or in the papers. The most "exciting" stuff is sort of dull from a TV standpoint. A picture of a new fighter flying is more exciting than GE using composits in the hot section of an airliner engine, to save fuel. It would be exciting to see a new fighter, but I expect that the best ones are secret and hidden. My daughter saw the Amherst, Mass UFO a few weeks ago. Lots of folks have seen it and it doesn't even make the news. While I do think that there is other life "out there", I expect that most if not all of the UFOs are man made. I'd like to see some of them showing up at the Paris Airshow..............now THAT would make the front page.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                  RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Thu, 06/20/13 5:49 PM (permalink)
                                  Woo Hoo Sukhoi Flanker-H  !

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544
                                    RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Fri, 06/21/13 12:22 AM (permalink)
                                    I just tried to watch the Video and it's "Unavailable"

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                      RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Fri, 06/21/13 9:26 AM (permalink)
                                      The "bottom line" here is that, at taxpayer expense, our "military-industrial complex" develops technology that the Russians and Chinese steal while our TSA is looking up the skirts of elderly females trying to board a passenger plane on a wheelchair. 

We do not develop the technology because "we" need to see that everyone who wants one has a cell phone.  Absent our "civilized" priorities, they do.  OOPS!

My goodness, what would Eisenhower (Conquerer of the Nazis and Enforcer of Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, KS), JFK, or LBJ say about our present circumstance?
                                      <message edited by MetroplexJim on Fri, 06/21/13 9:31 AM>

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                        RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Fri, 06/21/13 6:42 PM (permalink)
                                        Here is the bad boy.  Quite impressive, I must say.

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
                                          RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Sat, 06/22/13 7:19 AM (permalink)
                                          Another cool website to check out:

www.shipshooter.com

tmiles

RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Sat, 06/22/13 7:25 AM (permalink)
                                            The paper had a Paris Airshow picture of the "new" Su-35 yesterday. It's an update that is expected to sell about 100 export copies. It is said to be cheap (in aircraft terms), fast, and very reliable/easy to maintain. It is certainly good looking and very large, and as long as it doesn't have to face modern U.S. airpower, should have a long service life. 

MetroplexJim

RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Sat, 06/22/13 8:28 AM (permalink)
                                              tmiles

The paper had a Paris Airshow picture of the "new" Su-35 yesterday. It's an update that is expected to sell about 100 export copies. It is said to be cheap (in aircraft terms), fast, and very reliable/easy to maintain. It is certainly good looking and very large, and as long as it doesn't have to face modern U.S. airpower, should have a long service life. 

It appears that Putin steals more than just Super Bowl rings!

tmiles

RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Tue, 06/25/13 4:23 PM (permalink)
                                                I don't know what is more upsetting, 1/ that a world leader would feel a need to steal a ring, or 2/ that our State Dept would ask the rightful owner to let it go. 

Sundancer7

RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Tue, 06/25/13 4:39 PM (permalink)
                                                  Do you think that with lasers, missiles, drones and other strange new weapons of war that high energy consuming fast jets will continue to be the norm.  Missiles that fire from drones, huge Navy planes and from other missiles appears to be more effective.  Lasers fired from incredible distance or missiles and lasers fired from satellites and now not only feasible but designed and apparently ready for use.

Paul E. Smith
                                                  Knoxville, TN

tmiles

RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Fri, 06/28/13 11:14 AM (permalink)
                                                    I don't know , Paul. Twenty years ago when I still qualified for a subscription to Aviation Week, I stayed up to date on non classified aviation matters. As a reserve officer, I was really up to date on Marine Corps aviation.

Today, my info comes from the mass market news press, and military thriller fiction, written by folks likes like  Bond, or Brown.

The USA F-22, is so far advanced that it was not even used in the last wars, because it had no potential foe. It went out of production early, because we were going to build more/cheaper F-35s. The F-35 has morphed into our most expensive weapons system, as we have asked for ever more complicated versions. I obviously have a soft spot for the Marine version, but there is a building undertone of whispers, ".....can we afford it??"

My ideas in the debate of what we can afford to build, is just one more uninformed opinion. I just hope that we build "enough" (whatever that number is) of the F-35s to last us to the time when we can build cheap unmanned fighters. There is a downside to that future........... Today only responsible countries with strong governments operate many new generation fighters. When the time comes that a 3rd world tin hat can obtain cheap, world ranging, weapons delivery drones, its gonna really suck. At 62, I don't expect to see it, but I'd bet that my kids will. 

MetroplexJim

RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Fri, 06/28/13 2:20 PM (permalink)
                                                      Nixon nailed it when he called us (the U.S.) a "pitiful, helpless giant".

Any one of our Ohio Class subs can devaste a continent.  Our ICBM fields can  ... our B-2's can ...

I'm speechless.

tmiles

• Location: Millbury, MA
                                                        RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Sat, 07/13/13 9:22 AM (permalink)
                                                        Last night I saw the new Eurofighter on "How It's Made". It, too, has the front canards that allow the same quick change in attitude as the SU-30MKI.  At a cool $100 mil each, it makes the $35 mil Marine version of the F-35 look cheap.

Update Dec 13. I saw in the paper that the early Marine F-35s will be a cool $100 mil each too. With the total buy now being WAY reduced, I doubt that it will ever get down to $35 mil. The Marines are getting the first F-35s because the old AV8s, although still effective, are getting horribly expensive to maintain.
                                                        <message edited by tmiles on Tue, 12/17/13 5:07 PM>

mhkyeung

• Total Posts: 9
                                                          • Location: toronto, XX
                                                          RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Mon, 07/15/13 11:27 PM (permalink)
                                                          the video is no longer available...

tmiles

• Location: Millbury, MA
                                                            RE: Russian Su-30MKI fighter jet Sat, 01/25/14 2:07 PM (permalink)
                                                            An update on costs. Earlier in this thread I commented on the F-35 which was hoped to be a low cost, all purpose fighter for the USA and it's friends. I have come across updated cost info that gives new costs based on expected buys. The cost includes the aircraft, pro rata R&D, and initial spares. Because of the high R&D component, the cost will rise rapidly if numbers are further reduced.

The F-35, A or B version $161 (mil)
                                                            For comparison
                                                            KC-130J tanker $101
                                                            CH-53K Heavy Helicopter $133
                                                            MV-22B Osprey $117
                                                            UH-1Y (way updated 60s Huey) $36
                                                            AH-1Z (a way updated Cobra) $36
                                                            Except for the Osprey these planes have been in production, with earlier models, for years.  

Another comparison:
                                                            The Marines are in the process of replacing the SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) with the IAR (Infantry Automatic Rifle). The total buy will be about 3000 units. In 2008 H&K was awarded the production contract for $23.4 mil, which is less than the cost for a single unit of the Marines cheapest helicopter. The debate is still going on if the IAR was a smart buy. (No R&D here, as H&K had it on the shelf)
                                                            <message edited by tmiles on Sat, 01/25/14 2:09 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com