Russian food anyone?

Author
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1422
2014/02/16 17:08:30 (permalink)

Russian food anyone?

So, I've been inspired by the Olympics location to try some food from Russia and former USSR countries.  Does anyone else have some tasty items from this area that they've made and would like to share?

This is one version of Khachapuri, a Georgian cheese bread.  It came out tasty, but the cheese flavor was kinda wimpy, so I'd amp that up if I made this again.

Maybe it's meant to be eaten with a swig of vodka.

21 Replies Related Threads

ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1021
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/16 17:23:56 (permalink)
    A tin of caviar and many swigs of vodka
    ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1021
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4078
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/16 17:30:43 (permalink)
    Looks great. Plus what ChisOC said!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/16 18:42:49 (permalink)
    When I was the chef for the Riboud family (CEO of Schlumberger) in Paris we had a guest who was the curator of the Hermitage Museum in Leningrad, now Saint Petersburg.  He brought a 1-kilo tin of caviar and several bottles of vodka.  That was the first course of the dinner, the other courses were mainly seafood as Mme. Riboud told me that langoustines, shrimp, scallops, lobster, etc. were not available in the USSR.  She saved me "some" caviar and vodka.  When I was done cooking the next 4 courses I sat down and opened the tin of caviar, expecting to find maybe a teaspoon...........what I found was about 8 oz. of the best caviar on the planet.  It was divine.  That was the only Russian food I ever had.  The vodka was.......well, vodka.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/16 19:38:09 (permalink)
    lleechef

When I was the chef for the Riboud family (CEO of Schlumberger) in Paris we had a guest who was the curator of the Hermitage Museum in Leningrad, now Saint Petersburg.  He brought a 1-kilo tin of caviar and several bottles of vodka.  That was the first course of the dinner, the other courses were mainly seafood as Mme. Riboud told me that langoustines, shrimp, scallops, lobster, etc. were not available in the USSR.  She saved me "some" caviar and vodka.  When I was done cooking the next 4 courses I sat down and opened the tin of caviar, expecting to find maybe a teaspoon...........what I found was about 8 oz. of the best caviar on the planet.  It was divine.  That was the only Russian food I ever had.  The vodka was.......well, vodka.

You definitely had the best part of Russian food!
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/16 20:17:17 (permalink)
    Great story, lleechef!  I have never had really good caviar.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/16 20:20:31 (permalink)
    While living part time in London during the late 70's and 80's,
    I made a caviar inquiry to a friend of Russian decent. She put me in touch with a diplomat from Iraq who managed to procure a two kilo tin of 4 star (the biggest & best eggs) Russian Beluga for £350.00 cash. That would have been about $400.00. In Russia the caviar is preserved with 2% Borax instead of salt. The caviar was delicious and, I still have the empty tin to this day.

It seems back then, the Syrian diplomat bought the caviar from Russian (USSR) diplomats who brought it in via diplomatic pouch to sell on the black market in the UK.
    love2bake
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/16 21:57:33 (permalink)
    The blini recipe looks very good!  And I have the ingredients, so might give it a try.

For better or worse, I've not gotten a taste for caviar--maybe it's the kind I had, but I just wasn't a fan.  Didn't hate it, either.

I'd like to try a decent vodka, though. 
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/16 22:37:28 (permalink)
    love2bake

The blini recipe looks very good!  And I have the ingredients, so might give it a try.

For better or worse, I've not gotten a taste for caviar--maybe it's the kind I had, but I just wasn't a fan.  Didn't hate it, either.

I'd like to try a decent vodka, though. 

Forget the vodka.  Try a decent caviar! 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/16 23:32:52 (permalink)
    lleechef

1 kilo equals 2.2 pounds. At today's prices, you were eating pretty high on the Sturgeon!!!!!!!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/16 23:35:27 (permalink)
    The bread looks very pretty and tasty! 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18661
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/16 23:49:42 (permalink)
    In the late '60 the Russian cruise ship Aleksandr Pushkin made its first call on a U.S. port in Charlotte Amalie in the U.S. Virgin Islands. There were welcoming ceremonies with all the government officials of the Virgin Islands and as a reporter I had to be there. The trouble was, my kids had the day off from school and I had to take them with me. While all the official stuff was happening the ship's captain spotted the girls and left the ceremonies to talk with them, and he was joined by a dozen or so crew members. The ship had been away from home for about two months at the time and the captain and crew missed children. The next thing I knew both girls (Deb was in second grade and Cher was in fifth grade) were being fed caviar and Russian "champagne." Unfortunately, they fell in love with caviar. Even worse, they both still love the stuff.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/17 01:19:04 (permalink)
    Foodbme

lleechef

1 kilo equals 2.2 pounds. At today's prices, you were eating pretty high on the Sturgeon!!!!!!!!

Even in 1984 prices I knew I was eating something special that I probably would never again have.
    The other interesting thing about the curator (whom we called "Lubo", a shortened version of Lubochievnskzy (sp?) was that he was permitted to come to Paris but was not allowed to take any money from the USSR with him.  Not one ruble.  He was a very kind old gentleman and seemed quite at ease when President Mitterand came to visit. 

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/17 02:20:05 (permalink)
    That looks so pretty L2B!

The traditional cheese used in the old country is a "pickled" cheese called sulguni. The characteristics of sulguni are sour - salty - elastic.

In lieu of sulguni... mozzarella provides the texture & feta is a popular secondary cheese to mirror the sour/salty characteristics of sulguni.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2014/02/17 02:25:16
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/17 10:57:04 (permalink)
    love2bake

So, I've been inspired by the Olympics location to try some food from Russia and former USSR countries.  Does anyone else have some tasty items from this area that they've made and would like to share?

This is one version of Khachapuri, a Georgian cheese bread.  It came out tasty, but the cheese flavor was kinda wimpy, so I'd amp that up if I made this again.

Maybe it's meant to be eaten with a swig of vodka.

L2B, it looks like a Gold Medal performance to me. The outer crust is browned nicely, the cheese is melted. I think it may take a L2B twist, Caramelized onions and a different, more flavorful cheese. When I made calzones for my Cafe, I always like the Ricotta, Mozzarella cheese and spinach combination. You have the bread part down pat, the inside ingredients are open to your creative skills and imagination that you are already gifted with............pnwc
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/17 12:13:41 (permalink)
    Looks great
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/17 12:21:09 (permalink)
    I'll have a slice, please.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/17 12:49:00 (permalink)
    When I was there about 15 years ago, everything seemed to be pickled.  Fish, pork, beef, veggies and cheese.  Even som of the soups seemed pickled/  I sorta liked it with my vodka.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN   
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/17 15:04:57 (permalink)
    Back in the New Wave/Punk music era, a popular place for New York musicians to go after the gigs (and the after hours bars) was the Kiev, a Ukranian restaurant (open 24/7). I hear it closed down in 2000, and has since reopened under new management; not sure if it is the same. It was Eastern European/Russian food, heavily Jewish influenced. A lot of smoked fish and dairy/noodle recipes.

Bart
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/17 15:46:58 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

When I was there about 15 years ago, everything seemed to be pickled.  Fish, pork, beef, veggies and cheese.  Even som of the soups seemed pickled/  I sorta liked it with my vodka.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN   

I understand a lot of the citizens and government members are pickled too.
    " />
    love2bake
    Re:Russian food anyone? 2014/02/19 07:56:39 (permalink)
    Thank you, everyone!

CC - thank you for the research on what would've been the traditional cheese!  I'd probably try mozzarella (already in it) and feta. 

pnw - yes--caramelized onions would be delicious!

Sundancer/Paul - there was a segment on the Today Show yesterday that had all kinds of pickled stuff--mushrooms, pork belly, apples (!!) and, of course, pickled herring and beets. 

bartl - I'm a big fan of smoked fish and loved the stuff I've gotten at Jewish delis--do you know if that's traditional Russian/former USSR?

ed - haha--definitely pickled people!  I've seen a few vodka tastings on TV since the Olympics started.  Would be a fun promo for a local bar, I'd think.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1