Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
2007/03/28 21:44:26 (permalink)

Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food?

In our "Listen up, Turnip Gourmets!" thread http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18956 I expounded on my lifelong love and devotion for turnip roots. Rutabagas were mentioned in comparison to turnips.
I have a confession to make, folks. I am into my sixth decade of existence on this green Earth, and if I ever slapped a lip over a Rutabaga I don't recall it. I've always walked right past them at the produce stand and bought the turnips I was raised on, or bought seeds and raised turnips myself. If I've been missing out on something good all this time, please enlighten me.

38 Replies Related Threads

iqdiva
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/28 21:56:39 (permalink)
    You sure have Dickestep! The best greens in the world are rutabaga tops! You cook the roots with the greens like turnip roots.You can also add rutabaga to stews and soups.Or,pan-braise them with bacon grease,onion,salt and pepper and a little sugar.I also oven roast them with honey and butter.One other way is to cook the cubed rutabaga and apples or pears in apple juice or cider,salt,pepper and sugar.Then mash with butter,a little heavy cream and freshly grated nutmeg.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/28 22:38:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by iqdiva

You sure have Dickestep! The best greens in the world are rutabaga tops! You cook the roots with the greens like turnip roots.You can also add rutabaga to stews and soups.Or,pan-braise them with bacon grease,onion,salt and pepper and a little sugar.I also oven roast them with honey and butter.One other way is to cook the cubed rutabaga and apples or pears in apple juice or cider,salt,pepper and sugar.Then mash with butter,a little heavy cream and freshly grated nutmeg.

Well, if that don't beat all. Thank you, Iqdiva. I've always thought I was liberal in my eating habits, and I've had at least a taste of most of the animals that tried to eat me first. I reckon I'm going to have to buy or hunt down some of those rutabagas and see what they taste like.
    iqdiva
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/28 22:52:08 (permalink)
    Dickestep,we start our rutabaga seed in our gardens in late July.If you have a garden,try growing some this year.They are wonderful!
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/28 23:08:23 (permalink)
    quote:

Dickestep,we start our rutabaga seed in our gardens in late July.If you have a garden,try growing some this year.They are wonderful!

Thank you much, my planting time should be close to yours. Unfortunately, I haven't been doing my normal gardening the last several years. Life has thrown too many issues this direction. I did do my volunteer crop of turnips one year. You know, when you mow, then broadcast seed, and see how many volunteer to grow?
    That ground should grow anything as many horses, miniature horses, mules, and maverick calves as we raised there. I'll either sow some rutabaga seed this year, or corral some at the grocery to try.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8515
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/28 23:31:38 (permalink)
    I had to laugh when I saw rutabaga...Whenever I asked what was for dinner when I was young,my dad would yell"Rutabagas".I thought the name was horrible and turned up my nose(We never had them) Although one day my Mom made them(without my knowledge-I always ate my vegetables)having parboiled them and then frying them in a pan with butter,salt and pepper.I loved them!!!!
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/28 23:41:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by annpeeples

I had to laugh when I saw rutabaga...Whenever I asked what was for dinner when I was young,my dad would yell"Rutabagas".I thought the name was horrible and turned up my nose(We never had them) Although one day my Mom made them(without my knowledge-I always ate my vegetables)having parboiled them and then frying them in a pan with butter,salt and pepper.I loved them!!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha! That's wonderful, Ann. I had similar tricks I played on my children as most parents do, I suppose. I'm glad you liked them, when you were finally exposed to them.
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/28 23:51:48 (permalink)
    I like rutabaga's mashed with onions, in turkey pot pie, in a pot roast and this dish my grandmother use to make. Had rice, carrots, rutabagas, brown sugar and evaporated milk in it. Can't recall just how she made it but it sure was comfort food when I visited. I only remembered the pet milk and brown sugar cause I'd beg for a cup of coffee with both in it lol
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/29 02:22:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BhamBabe

I like rutabaga's mashed with onions, in turkey pot pie, in a pot roast and this dish my grandmother use to make. Had rice, carrots, rutabagas, brown sugar and evaporated milk in it. Can't recall just how she made it but it sure was comfort food when I visited. I only remembered the pet milk and brown sugar cause I'd beg for a cup of coffee with both in it lol

BhamBabe, that's awesome those rutabagas are so versatile, and I've never tasted them. Even the down home cafes I've had greens in seem to have held with turnip, mustard, and collard.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7058
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/29 08:18:11 (permalink)
    Corned beef and cabbage in South Boston is made with rutabagas instead of turnips. I worked as a chef (briefly) in an Irish pub and it was always rutabagas with corned beef. Actually, this was my favorite vegetable of the entire meal......forget the carrots and onions and spuds and bring on the rutabagas and sliced corned beef!
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/29 08:58:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Corned beef and cabbage in South Boston is made with rutabagas instead of turnips. I worked as a chef (briefly) in an Irish pub and it was always rutabagas with corned beef. Actually, this was my favorite vegetable of the entire meal......forget the carrots and onions and spuds and bring on the rutabagas and sliced corned beef!

That's a great recommendation, Pard. I normally do cabbage with my corned beef, but these sound like a good veggie for it. Thank you.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/29 12:32:15 (permalink)
    Growing up in Southern New England, the terms "turnip" and "rutabaga" were frequently interchanged. I'm still not sure I know the difference. I know (I think) that a white, purple-top is a turnip, but there are also yellow turnips (the kind that Eastham on Cape Cod was famous for). Is there a difference between yellow turnips and rutabagas?
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/29 13:25:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

Growing up in Southern New England, the terms "turnip" and "rutabaga" were frequently interchanged. I'm still not sure I know the difference. I know (I think) that a white, purple-top is a turnip, but there are also yellow turnips (the kind that Eastham on Cape Cod was famous for). Is there a difference between yellow turnips and rutabagas?
    Yes, there are several types and colors of turnips. The flesh of the rutabaga is usually said to be more yellow. I've heard there is also some confusion between our terms and those in Europe. I've also seen explanations rutabagas are called "swedes" in most of Europe.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/29 18:53:57 (permalink)
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10789
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/29 19:16:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10789

Thank you, Adjudicator. I love your treatment of yellow summer squash and onions on that thread, too!
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/29 23:04:31 (permalink)
    Dick, I always cook em with my pot roasts, cut them in 1/8th chunks and cook with the other veggies. Love 'em.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/30 10:58:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

Dick, I always cook em with my pot roasts, cut them in 1/8th chunks and cook with the other veggies. Love 'em.
    I'm going to pick some up and try them, the next time I'm at a store, Mike. It appears I may have been missing out.
    iqdiva
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/30 11:04:01 (permalink)
    Mike's right Dickestep.They are wonderful cooked with beef or pork roasts.I do that often.My friend you have definitely been missing a great treat!
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/30 11:42:51 (permalink)
    quote:

Mike's right Dickestep.They are wonderful cooked with beef or pork roasts.I do that often.My friend you have definitely been missing a great treat!
    I'll sure give them a try. I'll bet those things would store practically forever. The few I've handled have seemed quite sturdy.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/30 11:57:31 (permalink)

Sorry I'm late here. Rutabaga is the one food that I had real trouble with as a kid. The rule in our house was try at least a small"No Thank You Helping" of everything served at the meal. There were a few things that I would take in that descriptor. For some reason (long forgotten) Rutabaga was the most unsavory of all the list. I am not a turnip fan, but can tolerate small amounts in a Boiled Ham or Corn Beef dinner with lots of other veggies to help cover it. Turnip was served as a seperate side dish with the Thanksgiving and Christmas Family dinners and a teaspoon or so would wind up on my plate...with gravy over it I could get it down easily. BUT Rutabaga has never been served in any form in my adult homestead, and since Janet had never seen nor served it in her previous life, I think I can say it won't be appearing soon.
    iqdiva
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/30 12:02:40 (permalink)
    I wish you could have tried it cooked "southern style" Al!
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/30 12:36:50 (permalink)
    My grandmother raised turnips, but we preferred rutabagas. They were cooked down to mush, then further maesd like potatoes. She added salt, black pepper, red pepper, and a little bacon grease to it... GOD it was good. God bless her as she left us January of 89.

Dennis in Cary
    iqdiva
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/30 13:19:53 (permalink)
    My "every week" rutabagas are cut-up and cooked with bacon grease,a dash of sugar,salt,pepper and a little ham hock broth.I simmer them until they're cooked "down to the seasoning".I serve it with hot pepper vinegar.
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/30 21:31:29 (permalink)
    Rutabagas and turnips both rock HARD. Boiled and mashed with butter and salt and pepper and maybe a little bit of cream just like potatoes... nothing better!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/30 21:44:38 (permalink)
    Strange. Most of us southern folk like creamy mashed' taters. Give us the same with rutabegas and a revolt is at hand. Kinda' like creamed parsnips.
    iqdiva
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/30 21:55:56 (permalink)
    Adjudicator,I have made both mashed and pureed rutabagas. (Cooked in apple juice or cider with salt,pepper,and a little sugar then mashed or pureed with heavy cream and butter .)But,I prefer the Old Time Alabama Southern Style best! My "every week" rutabagas are cut-up and cooked with bacon grease,a dash of sugar,salt,pepper and a little ham hock broth.I simmer them until they're cooked "down to the seasoning".I serve it with hot pepper vinegar.
    iqdiva
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/30 21:57:34 (permalink)
    When I mash or puree rutabagas,I also add a little freshly ground nutmeg...
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/31 00:13:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Sorry I'm late here. Rutabaga is the one food that I had real trouble with as a kid. The rule in our house was try at least a small"No Thank You Helping" of everything served at the meal. There were a few things that I would take in that descriptor. For some reason (long forgotten) Rutabaga was the most unsavory of all the list. I am not a turnip fan, but can tolerate small amounts in a Boiled Ham or Corn Beef dinner with lots of other veggies to help cover it. Turnip was served as a seperate side dish with the Thanksgiving and Christmas Family dinners and a teaspoon or so would wind up on my plate...with gravy over it I could get it down easily. BUT Rutabaga has never been served in any form in my adult homestead, and since Janet had never seen nor served it in her previous life, I think I can say it won't be appearing soon.
    ROFLMFBO! But, but, but... All these other folks tell me the rutabaga is The Food of the Gods?
    iqdiva
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/31 00:15:00 (permalink)
    It is Dickestep...It is!
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutabagas vs Turnips. Am I missing good food? 2007/03/31 00:22:50 (permalink)
    quote:

I wish you could have tried it cooked "southern style" Al!
    I don't know if even you could change his mind, Iqdiva. He seems to be rather seriously anti-rutabaga.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1