Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1511
2008/06/10 15:52:42 (permalink)

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

I know this is a chain.. but is it a good chain? We are getting a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse here in Fresno, and I was wondering if it was worth the price? Anyone here ever been to one?

42 Replies Related Threads

doug_ua
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/10 15:57:32 (permalink)
    Jennifer - Ruth's is by far my favorite chain steakhouse. It is excellent. Great steaks, incredible sides, wonderful desserts. They serve their steaks sizzling in butter, but you can gte it without, if that is not appealing to you. Just be prepared to spend a bundle - probably $75-100+ per person depending on drinks. Definitely an occassion place, or an expense account place!
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/10 20:00:37 (permalink)
    I find Ruth Chris to be over rated. It's good, but not the best steakhouse. I would much rather go to the Prime Rib in Baltimore or Washington. The steaks are better, the pineapple vodka can't be beat, and the atmospher is better. Prime Rib still has a jacket requirement, so it feels a little more special. I also hate the way Ruth Chris packs in the people, you are pretty much sitting on top of the other patrons.

Now, I don't know what your options are in Fresno, and I realize you don't have a Prime Rib out there. So, if your choices are down to Ruth Chris or Morton's, I would go for Ruth Chris.
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/10 20:19:41 (permalink)
    this is why I will never set foot in a Ruth Chris Steakhouse and I hope others will follow suit as there are plenty of other good steakhouses.
    About three or four days after Hurricane Katrina, Ruth Chris' (a restaurant that prides itself and touts it's connections to New Orleans where it originated) management moved their national headquarters out of Metarie (not even New Orleans proper and not quite as decimated as NOLA) to Orlando where most of them had second homes. Such craven disregard for it's heritage and the plight of the community where it was founded coupled with a total "we're a public company and responsible solely to our stockholders" selfish attitude just disgusts me. Think about it.
    So I personally refuse to eat there. If you want an overpriced steak in a fancy chain there's always Mortons or the Palm or whatever but Ruth Chris NEVER.
    ok that's tonight's rant.
    Slim Strummer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/10 20:24:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

I know this is a chain.. but is it a good chain? We are getting a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse here in Fresno, and I was wondering if it was worth the price? Anyone here ever been to one?

Well, I like it. Depends on if you want butter on your steak. I have been to a few across this great land (numerous, numerous times), and was only disappointed twice--once in Beverly Hills when the hollandaise on the asparagus broke, and once in Boston (not sure why--probably because we got seated downstairs).

I have no complaints. It is a forty dollar steak (or whatever the hell they charge for these things these days) and it comparable to other forty follar steaks you can buy.

The issue of whether you should spend forty dollars on a steak is a whole other thread.
    Slim Strummer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/10 20:27:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pmrkr2

this is why I will never set foot in a Ruth Chris Steakhouse and I hope others will follow suit as there are plenty of other good steakhouses.
    About three or four days after Hurricane Katrina, Ruth Chris' (a restaurant that prides itself and touts it's connections to New Orleans where it originated) management moved their national headquarters out of Metarie (not even New Orleans proper and not quite as decimated as NOLA) to Orlando where most of them had second homes. Such craven disregard for it's heritage and the plight of the community where it was founded coupled with a total "we're a public company and responsible solely to our stockholders" selfish attitude just disgusts me. Think about it.
    So I personally refuse to eat there. If you want an overpriced steak in a fancy chain there's always Mortons or the Palm or whatever but Ruth Chris NEVER.

That is a HELL of a rant, and worth noting (if you fold non-taste factors into your choice of a restaurant). As for me, I will have to rethink the next time I want a crazy priced steak and Ruth's Chris is an option.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3751
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/10 20:36:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Robearjr

I find Ruth Chris to be over rated. It's good, but not the best steakhouse. I would much rather go to the Prime Rib in Baltimore or Washington. The steaks are better, the pineapple vodka can't be beat, and the atmospher is better. Prime Rib still has a jacket requirement, so it feels a little more special. I also hate the way Ruth Chris packs in the people, you are pretty much sitting on top of the other patrons.

Now, I don't know what your options are in Fresno, and I realize you don't have a Prime Rib out there. So, if your choices are down to Ruth Chris or Morton's, I would go for Ruth Chris.
    We love the Prime Rib............cannot do any better than this place for a nice evening out. In my opinion, RC is overrated and overpriced.
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/10 20:59:57 (permalink)
    As a pharmacist, I get invited to many "educational" dinner programs sponsored by the large pharmaceutical companies. Ruth Chris is a favorite of these companies, I've found, so I go there often. It's fine. I've eaten so many good steak dinners at places like this that I've seriously lost count. And I do tend to order steak when I go to these dinners, because it's not something I make at home.

In fact, my next dinner at Ruth Chris is next week. And I'll probably eat steak!
    amy112
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/10 21:51:37 (permalink)
    It's been several years since I went to Ruth's Chris, and while the food quality was excellent, it was very expensive and also extremely masculine in decor and menu.

Also, I hate the name. I heard an explanation of how it came about, but don't they have marketing people? It's an awkward mess of a name.

BBq King
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/10 21:58:30 (permalink)
    Yes, Chris Steakhouse did own something to the NOLA area but they owed more to their stockholders. It's not craven, it's called business. However, the chain did provide jobs to their NOLA employees in other locations, made paychecks available at any Ruth's location for all displaced employees, and insured that the chain would continue to operate smoothly in all their other locations. All this was an attempt to take care of employees as well as to try and protect shareholder equity. If any company you owned stock in did otherwise you would be the first to scream blood murder. Do go there because you hate the food, not because they made a good business decision.
    quote:
    Originally posted by pmrkr2

pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/11 00:03:47 (permalink)
    no i wouldn't scream bloody murder if a company i owned stock in made a morally responsible decision even if it was at the short term expense of my stock ownership. What they did was more about the comfort of their officers and less about what was good for the company and the community they lived in and take their heritage from. They could have established a temporary headquarters elsewhere for a period they didn't have to decide three days after the hurricane to relocate permanently. They abandoned New Orleans and it's people totally at a time when it took courage to stay and do the responsible thing. You know some times in a time of national tragedy there are things more important than the next two quarters, not just for the officers of the company but for the investors as well.
    And as I said earlier they were in Metarie and area that was not as effected as the city itself. But hey what's more important your 200 shares of stock or the lives of hundreds of thousands of people.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/11 00:29:47 (permalink)
    I agree with you 100%, pmrkr2 ... and you said your piece so articulately.
    I remember when I first heard the story on the news about Ruths Chris abandoning New Orleans, and I was very taken aback. It seemed like such a sudden, harsh decision.

It's become a cruel hearted world where all too much can be written off with "hey, it's just business!"
    , "gotta keep the shareholders happy"...
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/11 03:03:33 (permalink)
    We have an excellent steakhouse nearby called Cattlemen's (not affiliated the with Oklahoma Cattlemen's ) where I can get an amazing 2 lb porterhouse for an equally amazing price of 28.00! And that includes some really tasty sides... but I had to ask about this place since I've heard it touted on national radio shows..
    bouttime
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/11 04:00:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by amy112

Also, I hate the name. I heard an explanation of how it came about, but don't they have marketing people? It's an awkward mess of a name.

The chain was founded by the late Ruth Fertel, a single mother of two, in 1965, after she bought the existing Chris Steak House in New Orleans. In buying the restaurant, Fertel had to agree that the restaurant keep the "Chris" name for a specified period of time. After the original location sustained a kitchen fire, she relocated the restaurant about one-half mile (0.9 km) to the west on Broad Street and renamed the rebuilt establishment "Ruth's Chris." Under the purchase agreement, the name "Chris Steak House" could not be used at any other location, and she did not want to lose customers already familiar with the Chris name.[5] Fertel started to franchise the restaurant in the 1970s to locations throughout the United States and throughout the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth's_Chris_Steakhouse
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4274
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/06/11 07:51:41 (permalink)
    I've been to several Ruth's Chris on occasions when I was not paying and never once did I feel that the food, service, or ambience justified what my hosts paid. One time I was served a $40 a la carte bone-in rib eye that would have been decent if it was $14.95 at Steak & Ale (and included sides and the salad bar).

The bottom line here is that Ruth's Chris is not even in the same league as Morton's, The Prime Rib, etc., yet their prices are the same.

Here's a list of steakhouses that deliver value and quality for your dollar:http://www.allenbrothers.com/whoserving.html
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/07/26 20:18:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bouttime

quote:
    Originally posted by amy112

The chain was founded by the late Ruth Fertel, a single mother of two, in 1965, after she bought the existing Chris Steak House in New Orleans. In buying the restaurant, Fertel had to agree that the restaurant keep the "Chris" name for a specified period of time. After the original location sustained a kitchen fire, she relocated the restaurant about one-half mile (0.9 km) to the west on Broad Street and renamed the rebuilt establishment "Ruth's Chris." Under the purchase agreement, the name "Chris Steak House" could not be used at any other location, and she did not want to lose customers already familiar with the Chris name.[5] Fertel started to franchise the restaurant in the 1970s to locations throughout the United States and throughout the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth's_Chris_Steakhouse

I did some consulting work for Ruths Chris. As a patron, you will hear (a similar version) of the restaurant history, every time you dine (from your server). It is a maddening practice.
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/07/26 20:51:42 (permalink)
    And when the repairs in New Orleans to the levees are done most experts agree that it is very likely that it will flood again. The major part of Katrina didnt even hit New Orleans. I am not going to defend Ruth's Chris decision to move or not to move. I wouldnt move there. Mardi Gras in my opining is discusting. I was there in the 80s and the sex, drugs, drunken behavior, and the way people handled themselves was a joke. Similar to the stupidity that takes place during spring break in Daytona. I wouldnt want to raise my children there. If they dont fix the levees for the long term, stop the deterioration of the coastal wetlands. It will happen again just like it has almost every 40 years. I doubt I will ever go back unless it is for business. As to the steak at Ruth's Chris like any other top grade steak it is as good as it gets. Flemmings, Carvers, Hyde Park and other chains are all comparible. The three best steaks I have ever had were at Peter Lugers, XO Steakhouse in Cleveland (The best steak I have ever had) and a place I cant remember the name of in Vegas. On a scale of 1 to 10 Ruth's would be an 8.75...Russ
    jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/07/26 23:38:18 (permalink)
    After a few disappointing Ruth Chris meals in different locations, I prefer to go elsewhere. I've had much better steaks in Mortons, The Palm, Sparks and of course Peter Luger.
    cameron074
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/09/24 14:11:12 (permalink)
    I've been to the Ruths Chris in NJ on Route 10 once. I went expecting to pay an arm and a leg, but I also expected to get one of the best steaks ever. Boy, was I wrong. First of all, I asked for it medium rare. Came out EXTRA rare. Still bleeding, I couldn't believe it. So I sent it back and asked for another, this time medium. It came out again and was still incredibly rare. Not wanting to continue waiting(30 mins at that point) I dove into the steak. A great cut of meat had been turned into what seemed to be someones first steak grilling experience. I'll never go back. Arthurs in Morris Plains FTW.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/09/24 15:07:20 (permalink)
    I have found Ruth's Chris to be several notches below the likes of Morton's. There are other places I visit in their place.

One thing always puzzled me: if their meat is such high quality, why do they put butter on it. It should not need the extra fat to make it juicy.
    cameron074
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/09/24 15:36:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tsores

I have found Ruth's Chris to be several notches below the likes of Morton's. There are other places I visit in their place.

One thing always puzzled me: if their meat is such high quality, why do they put butter on it. It should not need the extra fat to make it juicy.

I've never been anywhere else where they served my steak with butter on it. I don't understand why it's needed, and don't personally know of anyone that enjoys it. For me, butter + steak =
    jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/09/24 16:20:11 (permalink)
    I swore them off after three mediocre meals in three different cities. The best chain steak I remember was at a Morton,s.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/09/24 16:28:55 (permalink)
    Ruth Chris is like any chain - you may get a good or bad experience depending on the location and the care taken by the local staff. That said, the rant above about being morally reprehensible to move a business is ridiculous. If the board decides a business moves - then so be it. I, too would consider a move from NOLA area given the devastation a storm could make to the area. They decided to move - that's their call. There's nothing immoral about it. How does anyone know it was for the "comfort of their officers" that dictated the move? Sounds to me like a good plan to get the hell out of the morass that is NOLA - otherwise known as "Chocolate City" as termed by the great mind of Ray Nagin (even if they were across the river in Metarie). Good for them.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5110
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/09/24 16:56:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim

I've been to several Ruth's Chris on occasions when I was not paying and never once did I feel that the food, service, or ambience justified what my hosts paid. One time I was served a $40 a la carte bone-in rib eye that would have been decent if it was $14.95 at Steak & Ale (and included sides and the salad bar).

The bottom line here is that Ruth's Chris is not even in the same league as Morton's, The Prime Rib, etc., yet their prices are the same.

Here's a list of steakhouses that deliver value and quality for your dollar:http://www.allenbrothers.com/whoserving.html

Jim, I will have to agree with you on this one. I remember when they opened their first location in Dallas on Greenville Avenue. It was OK then because we didn't have that many "steak houses" in Dallas at that time. However, since that first Dallas location opened about 1982 or so, RC has since moved out of their first Dallas location and then again out of their second location to where they are now on the North Dallas Tollroad.
    And, as far as I'm concerned, they still can't hold a candle to the more than 6-10 other "steak houses" we have in Dallas.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/09/24 17:08:26 (permalink)

We have found local places that serve fine steaks without the inflated prices of the 'upper chains' like Morton's or Ruth Chris. This is not a knock on the chains...but on the pricing. If you can get really good steaks (like we enjoyed on our Wisconsin trip last weekend) without breaking the bank, why select the expensive place.

I don't argue that they serve good steaks, but I can enjoy a dinner every bit as good, with fine service and comfortable surroundings without spending $100 per person to do it. We have been to Mortons twice, and will NOT do it again, even if someone else is paying.

Our total bill for 5 adults at the Prime Rib Supper Club and the Hookers Resort Steak place on the weekend (minus tip) was under $150 at each place. The food was outstanding and we didn't feel that we were spending our kids inheritance to take them to dinner.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5110
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/09/24 17:22:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

We have found local places that serve fine steaks without the inflated prices of the 'upper chains' like Morton's or Ruth Chris. This is not a knock on the chains...but on the pricing. If you can get really good steaks (like we enjoyed on our Wisconsin trip last weekend) without breaking the bank, why select the expensive place.

I don't argue that they serve good steaks, but I can enjoy a dinner every bit as good, with fine service and comfortable surroundings without spending $100 per person to do it. We have been to Mortons twice, and will NOT do it again, even if someone else is paying.

Our total bill for 5 adults at the Prime Rib Supper Club and the Hookers Resort Steak place on the weekend (minus tip) was under $150 at each place. The food was outstanding and we didn't feel that we were spending our kids inheritance to take them to dinner.

Gosh, Al, I didn't know "hookers" had their own resort.
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 861
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/09/24 17:29:27 (permalink)
    I think that definitly over-priced and frequently over-rated sums up my experience withhe chain
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/09/25 08:32:16 (permalink)
    I think most steak houses are decorated with the male customer in mind.

The politics of steak? Hey, it's roadfood.com We have lots of very smart people on this site. We're lucky to have them. This one is a real tough post.

Russ - I'm with you on this one. I saw this amazing documentary on Venice; they did solve their below sea level problem for the most part, but is was incredibly expensive. If you go in October to Venice, the start of their winter season, they still have to have these platforms that the city workers put down on top of their sidewalks and everyone walks on them! In September, when we went, we asked what were all these platforms?

Every night, if we returned to our hotel too late, we had to walk through our flooded street to get to the lobby. We actually had to check the time when we were out to dinner. We were blocks away from the water, too! Just trying to change the subject a bit here. I do understand pmrkr2's anger...I just don't happen to agree with the criticism of the firm.

Ruth's steak is pretty good. They're all good. The only one I am not too crazy about is Shula's.
    I just find it hard to justify paying so much for steak at any of these places, if not on an expense account. But, it sure is nice when you get invited out as a guest I love the side dishes...Especially the 1 lb baked potatoes! And, the creamed spinach.
    Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/09/26 10:19:59 (permalink)
    I absolutely LOVE Ruth Chris' Steakhouses. Never had a bad meal at any of them (been to a dozen or so). Personally the move NO to Orlando makes perfect sense to me but then again, I'm looking at the business side of the decision. My emotions will never get the way of the fact that they serve great steaks, IMO!
    NYC2SoCal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse 2008/12/02 01:05:07 (permalink)
    I find this thread interesting.. Especially the comments in regards to Ruth Chris'= Steak 'n Ale..

I travel quite a bit, and when I want a little TLC and pampering coupled with a good steak, I go to Ruth Chris.. I have been to probably over 10 different Ruth Chris' (multiple times each), and find their service as well as food satisfying. Waiters have always been helpful and attentive (and most importantly, kept my wine glass filled) :)

IMHO, they are my favorite chain (e.g. Mortons, Palm, Smith & Wollensky). Another thing to note is, Ruth Chris probably doesn't make my top ten steakhouse list.. Well, maybe 9 or 10 (the NOLA one).

For those that complain about the price, sorry to break it to you, but thats the going rate for premium steakhouses.. If you want it cheaper, then go to Steak 'n Ale, Outback, Lonestar, TLC, whatever.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1