The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Rutts Hut Road Trip Questions

ZekeTheCat

• Total Posts: 127
Rutts Hut Road Trip Questions Thu, 09/2/10 4:41 PM (permalink)
I wil be driving in the Pa /NJ / NYC area next month and was interested in going to the famous Rutts Hut in Clfton NJ while in the area - for hot dogs of course.

Was wondering how bad the driving is on the expressways/ highways in that area to get there - will be coming from I-80 ?

Also do they "dress" the dogs for you or is it "do it yourself" and are their onion rings any good ?
Thanks for any help or info .

johnlockedema

• Total Posts: 155
    Re:Rutts Hur Road Trip Questions Thu, 09/2/10 8:41 PM (permalink)
    Onion rings are decent.  RH is a few minutes away from the Giants Stadium/Meadowlands complex.  If there is a Giants or Jets game that day the traffic can be awful.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
      Re:Rutts Hur Road Trip Questions Fri, 09/3/10 9:04 AM (permalink)
      It shouldn't be too bad driving unless you're heading east on I-80 or Rt 3 during the AM rush hour, or west during the PM rush hour. You can listen to 1010 WINS radio on the ones for traffic reports along the way.

The famous relish is "do it yourself".

Enjoy.

tommyeats

• Total Posts: 277
        Re:Rutts Hur Road Trip Questions Sat, 09/4/10 9:29 AM (permalink)
        You shouldn't have any problem at all, regardless of football games.  You'll be taking 80 to 20/21, and you'll be there in about 10 minutes after getting off of 80. 

Enjoy.

Dog Boss

• Total Posts: 206
          Re:Rutts Hur Road Trip Questions Thu, 09/30/10 11:40 AM (permalink)
          remember theres a few places in clifton , getty ave grill , rutts, the hot grill and papaya king.......... all with in minutes of each other,  the hot grill , getty and  papaya r very close to each other, you can sample 4 within a hour

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
            Re:Rutts Hur Road Trip Questions Thu, 09/30/10 2:19 PM (permalink)
            Two others that are close by are the Midtown Grill on Main St. and the New Corral on Hazel St. Within minutes of the Getty Grill and Papaya King. Both serve Texas Weiners.

ZekeTheCat

• Total Posts: 127
              Re:Rutts Hut Road Trip Questions Thu, 10/7/10 8:24 AM (permalink)

While in the NYC area yesterday, I finally got to Rutt’s Hut in Clifton, NJ. No sweat on driving there - not any worse (or better) than any other metropolitan area in non rush hour times.

The deep fried (ripper) hotdogs (Thummins) were pretty good but maybe a little over hyped. Onion rings were flaky and tasted OK. Service was adequate but rather cold and unfriendly.

I also tried Papaya King there in Clifton. Very friendly service and the dogs were very tasty and good.

I recommend both when in the area.

Heading next to Hershey Pa , I stopped at Senape’s Bakery in Hazleton Pa . I wanted to get a sausage pitza but their tavern (who makes the pitza) wasn’t opened until later in the day so I settled for a box of their pitza from their bakery - basically a bread type crust with a liberal amount of sauce and scantilly applied cheese topping cut into squares and boxed up. Again it wa OK and tastes good but a little over hyped.

http://www.roadfood.com/F...with-pics-m122861.aspx

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 185
                Re:Rutts Hut Road Trip Questions Sun, 10/24/10 10:06 AM (permalink)
                The problem I have with Rutt's Hutt is MapQuest and GPS's tend to screw up directions. I live about an hour away. There's a "River Road" or something similar on BOTH sides of the river, so every time I'd get somewhere TomTom would say I am going the wrong way, recalculating route, then when I'd get to the other side it'd say the same thing.

I know where the place is (kind of), so I know what kind of area it's in to look for, but I still get lost mostly every time.

Dog Boss

• Total Posts: 206
                  Re:Rutts Hut Road Trip Questions Sun, 10/24/10 1:04 PM (permalink)
                  yuppicide

The problem I have with Rutt's Hutt is MapQuest and GPS's tend to screw up directions. I live about an hour away. There's a "River Road" or something similar on BOTH sides of the river, so every time I'd get somewhere TomTom would say I am going the wrong way, recalculating route, then when I'd get to the other side it'd say the same thing.

I know where the place is (kind of), so I know what kind of area it's in to look for, but I still get lost mostly every time.

really have to pay attention to a crazy exit , it really just sit's just off 21s  your heading 21 north so, did you look at the map before leting your gps show you .......

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                    Re:Rutts Hut Road Trip Questions Sun, 10/24/10 8:42 PM (permalink)
                    Yup,
                      The trick is there are 3 Clifton exits as you head north on 21. You want the 2nd exit. You drive up the ramp and make your 1st left, otherwise you head into a junkyard-looking block...which I'm always tempted to explore, but never do...cause I'm a'scared.  After you make that left, you make your 1st left. Then you drive, oh, about 1/8th of a mile and Rutt's will be on your left. That last half mile, essentially the location of a recurring nightmare someone from out of state might have about Jersey,  is the perfectly  fitting lead up to a dining out experience at Rutt's. 
                      The Bear 

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                      Re:Rutts Hut Road Trip Questions Tue, 10/26/10 7:00 PM (permalink)
                      The Bear !!!
                      You are funny buddy and so correct , I often wondered about venturing into that junkyard looking block right off the exit , are they hot dog lovers? lost in time back in the 50's, or some great mechanics , who really knows and I dont want to find out either .
                      I have never had a problem with the directions , but could see where one would
                      One of my favorites and well worth a trip in my opinion .
                      Benzee

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                        Re:Rutts Hut Road Trip Questions Tue, 10/26/10 8:34 PM (permalink)
                        Hey Benzee, old pal. Your curiosity is hip. What say we combine a quick reconnasissance trip down Junkyard Lane with our next trip to Rutt's? Should be fun. 

The Bear

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                          Re:Rutts Hut Road Trip Questions Tue, 10/26/10 9:03 PM (permalink)
                          Hey Bear ,
                          I'm in buddy , I can provide security and you can write about the adventure
                          Benzee

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com