Rutts Hut not that great

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/17 09:02:15 (permalink)
Nobody here EVER claimed a Coney Island style hot dog or chili is synonomous with Coney Island NY or a Rutts Hut hot dog. Again, the origins of the GENERIC TERM used in many venues and areas (not the preparation styles), trace back to Coney Island NY. HELLO!

Since this has been documented here (from several sources), and I have clarified my statement in every possible form of plain english, I will GLADY let this thread to return to the original topic of Rutt's Hut.

kboston
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/17 09:11:25 (permalink)
Rutt's is what it is.. If you grew up with it, it is more than hot dogs. I have the same problem with White Castle. I remember it being a better experience because of the people I was with when eating them. Without the crowd it is what it is.
KB
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18257
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/17 10:22:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CCinNJ

There is plenty of documentation listed (here) from several sources to support the origins of the generic phrase "coney" trace back to Coney Island NY.

If you have another explanation, feel free to provide it.

And I suppose all that documentation explains how what are known in many areas as coneys were originally sold by Greek immigrants using Greek meat sauce who either first lived in and around CIncinnati or were related to those who did.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/17 14:01:34 (permalink)
The origins of Coney Island Restaurants trace back to Michigan, not Ohio.

There is some documentation that Cheese coneys can be traced and linked to Coney Island Amusement Park, in Ohio.

Like I said a long time ago, the origins of the TERM Coney Island trace back to NY. Coney Island Amusement Park was renamed after Coney Island NY. The generic term ORIGINATES from Coney Island NY.

So, if you are inclined to trace the term all the way back to the original source, it would be Coney Island NY.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18257
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/17 15:25:32 (permalink)
Stick with it. Heck, even George, the Greek guy who owned Coney Island in Downtown New Haven at the corner of George Street and State Street back in the 1940s and 1950s, said he came there from Cincinnati where he'd worked for his cousin serving Coney Island hot dogs. He insisted he'd never heard of Coney Island in New York.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/17 15:47:30 (permalink)
Well, little did George know the origins of the term "Coney Island" in Ohio, indeed trace back to Coney Island NY.

Since you did mention this fact, in a previous thread there is not much more to say.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4755&SearchTerms=coney

Your quote...

This is getting ridiculous. I must point out, however, that your rersearch seems a bit flawed. Youy see, the Cincinnati Coney island Amusement Park (not theme park) began operations in the 1800s. It was originally called the Coney Island of the West, after the Coney Island in Brooklyn.

As to your having difficulty understanding how the guy at the coney place in New Haven never heard of the Brooklyn Coney Island, let me explain. He never heard of Brooklyn.
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2391
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/27 06:18:41 (permalink)
richardao1, I'm surprised you ordered so many dogs on your first visit. Why not order one of each, see how you like them and go back for more as needed? Prevents waste, lost money and frustration. Just my 2 cents.

cgpublic, excellent first post! Welcome to Roadfood!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/13 11:01:01 (permalink)
Wow, I just read the new hatchet-job review on the home page fo Rutt's Hutt.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/1362-6823/rutts-hut

Larry, come on now, tell us what you really think! 
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/13 12:24:24 (permalink)
His review is actually quite funny.  The hot dogs are fine.  We love going there when in the area. He is the first person that I have ever heard of that actually went in to the bar to eat.  Maybe the hot dogs just taste better when you stand up to eat them !

He complained about the relish being lefy out.  Why does he think that it is any different than mustard or ketchup being left on the table or the counter.  Perhaps Larry is not really a Roadfood type of guy.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/13 13:47:22 (permalink)

Wow !!!

Guess he does not like Rutts!!
Everyone has their own opinion but you have to try them yourself .
The Hot grill is nearby and serves a nice dog but I wonder if their is an ulterior motive to steer business to the  Grill ? Why mention another place in the review ?

I love Rutts and it has been on the Jersey Hot Dog Tour a few years , the relish is the best I've ever had .

The place is pure roadfood

Benzee
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/13 14:06:09 (permalink)
Message redacted. See correction below dated 06/14 @ 10:56 AM.
post edited by David_NYC - 2009/06/14 11:02:23
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2326
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/13 15:07:56 (permalink)
I wonder if someone goes to Rutt's Hut out of curiosity and likes it, does that mean that they were fooled by Larry's review? I understand that there are people who hate Rutt's Hut (my immediate family), but I don't agree with telling anyone not to eat there because you don't happen to like it.

I don't like Hot Dog Johnny's, but it is very popular and liked by a lot of hot dog aficianados. Others share my opinion. I would never tell anyone not to eat there. I would give my negative opinion and say that I don't think it's worth going out of your way for, but everyone should make up their own mind.

I do find it odd that Larry would hate Rutt's dogs but like those at the Hot Grill. If you have these dogs side by side (I have) either plain or with just mustard, they taste fairly similar. The Rutt's dog (Thumann's for deep frying) actually has a little more flavor than the Hot Grill's (Sabrett beef/pork) dog. Of course the dog at the Hot Grill is meant to be a holder for the flavorful chili or Texas Weiner sauce.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/13 15:42:42 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

He insisted he'd never heard of Coney Island in New York.

Well then, that's his fault he's an ignorant Greek SOB. 
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re:Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/13 17:11:18 (permalink)
I still haven't been, but I want to find out what all the fuss is about. I just avoid what I don't like. For instance, I don't eat relish or onion rings, so i just don't order them. If I do, indeed, find out that the hot dog is too greasy, I'll just take some napkins and blot the grease as best as I can. See, here's the thing, and there are many negative nay-saying sourpusses here on RF who are just always gonna be that way. To you I say THIS: Don't try to get Roadfooders to go over to your side just because you negatively reviewed a place, particularly if you are someone who was never on this site before.

The moral of the story? Make the best out of any bad situation! At least you can LAUGH about it instead of being a crabapple.

If I find I end up not liking Rutts when I finally go, I'll just say that for ME, it was no good. But not "Oh, avoid it". That's just ignorant. One man's trash, etc., and the opposite goes too.

Am I mellowing in my old(er) age???
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/13 17:11:25 (permalink)
If you order rippers, you can expect very dried out hot dogs.  If that's the texture you enjoy, then that's fine.  But, you really do not get to experience the taste of that hot dog because a lot of the plumpness, subtle bologna like taste, and juice texture are gone.  You can't even experience that first natural casing crunch.  Instead, you are chomping down into a spongy, crisp and dry textured over done hot dog.

I wish Larry would have just tried one of their regular deep fried hot dogs with mustard.....Then if you don't like it, fine..Complain.  Needless to say, Larry is in the minority.  This place is loved by many, many Garden Staters..Not me, incidently.  But they cannot all be wrong. 

For me, if I need a NJ deep fried dog and I am not near Ft. Lee or Rt. 46 in Clifton, I'm gonna still go to Rutt's. 

Careful when you ask for a ripper...It really is not for most peoples' tastes.  I don't feel it does justice to the over all NJ deep fried dog experience.

I hope Larry gives it one more chance.  Then..fine.  Trash it.
post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/06/13 17:14:42
beijinger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 180
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/13 20:16:18 (permalink)
    Never been to Rutt's, seems it hold a special status people go for the ripper even if its not the best way to enjoy a hotdog. Think novices be inclined to order a ripper (not knowing) and end up dissappointed.Before going to any status place wise to check the roadfood review so you can get full value for the status.
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/13 21:36:20 (permalink)
the fact that the reviewer (was that even a "review"?) thought that the dogs were done in a minute was somehow "suspicious" shows that he has no idea how the restaurant works, or how most hot dog restaurants work for that matter.  A naive and uninformed viewpoint is rarely helpful, or interesting for that matter.  That, coupled with the juvenile tone to the piece, essentially makes it pointless to my mind.

And, of course, there's no "downstairs", so I have to wonder how much this person was paying attention, at all.

"Trust me" he says?  Why on earth would I do that?  
tangerine
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/13 23:08:42 (permalink)
I found Rutt's dogs bland and the relish pretty good. The joint was filthy, though, and I have pretty low standards. 

Concerning the Sterns, I have to laugh at the number of times they rave about some rat-trap and the actual Roadfooders who visit say the place sucks.

As for Arpaio (and why is he mentioned here again?):  He spent $10,000 in taxpayer money to have Arizona State University study recidivism in the jail system. The result showed that there was no change in the rate at which inmates returned to jail.  Arpaio immediately declared that ASU was wrong.  He is a vicious, self-aggrandizing clown who has cost taxpayers millions in legal fees, lawsuits, attorneys fees, settlements, judgments, photos of himself, videos of himself, and maintaining his personal public relations staff.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/13 23:30:48 (permalink)
Beijenger - Excellent comment!

post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/06/13 23:32:11
John63
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/14 09:15:04 (permalink)
I have enjoyed the dogs at Rutts. I always take some relish home with me when I visit there. I think this debate on deep fried dogs could go on forever. I like deep fried dogs but would not begrudge anyone who didn't. As a matter of fact my girlfriend likes the deep fried dogs at Hirams better than Rutts. So tastes and opinions will vary.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/14 09:35:37 (permalink)
You girlfirend has excellent taste!
John63
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/14 10:47:45 (permalink)
Baah Ben

You girlfirend has excellent taste!

Yes she does. She is from Peru and had previously eaten at chain style restaurants or smaller ethnic style places. So my hot dog fanaticism has rubbed off on her. And Hirams is worth a visit also and there chili is really good.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/14 10:56:54 (permalink)
I made a mistake. I did not know that if you clicked on a "latest restaurant review" from the home page after signing in, any older reviews would not appear. Today, I pulled up the reviews of Rutt's Hut using the restaurant search feature from the main menu. The previous glowing review from the Stern's is still there, as is the rating (88%) from our site members. There are now also posted a total of two negative reviews.

While I happen to like Rutt's 'In-and-Out' dog with just mustard, I can see people from the NYC Metro Area that were raised on kosher-style franks may not appreciate this beef and pork dog. John Fox states his immediate family hates Rutt's Hut. Thus, I can understand some negative reviews being posted. But at least people can read all the reviews side-by-side and decide for themselves.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2009/06/14 14:24:40 (permalink)
A friend of mine has lived in Clifton for more than 25 years and had never been to Rutt's Hutt until a few years ago when I took him to try their deep fried dogs with their unique relish, he really enjoyed them. He said he had always wanted to try Rutt's, but after his experience at the Hot Grill he did not care for their deep fried Sabrett with their chili sauce, he stayed away from deep fried dogs.   
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1