Rutts Hut not that great

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
richardao1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2008/10/12 14:34:23 (permalink)

Rutts Hut not that great

I've heard of this place for years and had to try it out. I ordered 4 rippers and 2 well done as well as a chili. The well done dogs weren't bad but the rippers were absolutely disgusting. The chili was about a 6 out of 10

83 Replies Related Threads

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/12 19:34:35 (permalink)
    Rich - I would not have ordered the rippers. Did you order them because that was mentioned on tv or do you like a well done hot dog?

The NJ deep fried hot dog is definitely different. It is bland, sort of like bologna, and the texture and the condiments are a big part of the experience.

Personally, I have maintained for many years that our best NJ deep fried hot dog is at Hirum's in Ft. Lee. One big reason being I do not care for the mustard-relish condiment at Rutt's Hut.

Did you get to try Rutt's Hut's onion rings? I never had their chili..Did not even know they make one.
    DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/12 21:45:16 (permalink)
    I agree about Rutt's Hut, although I like the mustard/relish. I like deep fried dogs but I prefer all beef to beef/potk dogs. The onion rings at Rutt's are excellent but incredibly greasy.
    Personal preference is what makes this site so great, lots of opinions and discussions back and forth. Welcome to Roadfood Richardao1

Dave
    ShellysDawgHouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/13 06:59:05 (permalink)
    I never understood the obsession with Rutts. Went once and absolutely HATED it!! As for the mustard/relish stuff, Hated it too.
    Sorry to any/all Rutts fans but i guess it is an aquired taste. And i don't have it.

Oh and my husband ordered chili and they DON"T put it on the dog. They only sell it in cups!!! are you kidding me?????

rikshaw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/13 07:26:45 (permalink)
    After I visited RuttsHutt I felt their reputation was really overblown too. I feel more validated now!
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/13 07:34:35 (permalink)
    Since this place is so controversial, I think that I shall have to visit it!

Here is the Roadfood.com[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1362']review[/url], and here is a photo from it:

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10481
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/13 08:50:27 (permalink)
    I ate at Rutt's Hut for the first time about two months ago with my cousin Johnny. We usually have very similar tastes, but we were split on this place. We both thought the dogs were fine, but he didn't like the relish, while I did.

This reminds, I need to finish that trip report!
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/13 09:22:15 (permalink)
    It's like opera. We have it on good authority that it is sublime, but not everybody gets it.

The Bear
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 698
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/13 09:44:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

It's like opera. We have it on good authority that it is sublime, but not everybody gets it.

The Bear
    This sort of makes it sound like if you don't like opera, you're a dolt because you don't "get it".

Many love opera and many don't, just as many love Rutt's Hutt and many don't.

I like Rutt's Hutt but it's not among my favorites.
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/13 10:19:11 (permalink)
    Rutt's Hutt is a perfect example of how subjective personal taste can be. I don't know if I've seen any other hot dog rated more often as "the best hot dog in the country". I read opinions on various forums, and also in response to articles such as those in the Wall Street Journal and MSNBC. It seems that there is no middle ground regarding the hot dogs at Rutt's Hut. I'd say that 99% of the time opinions are either highly positive or highly negative. Rarely do you hear of someone saying "it's ok".

To many, it's an aquired taste. Others just don't like milder pork based dogs, or dogs that are fried. And the dog served at Rutt's isn't just a hot dog that has been dropped in oil. It's a frank that is made especially for deep frying. Some ingredients are added that cause the dog to puff up and to withstand the high temperatures of deep fat frying. So many people, after hearing someone describe Rutt's Hut in glowing terms, make the trip, only to discover that they hate the dogs there. My family says the dogs are like shoe leather. My father and brother think they are the best dogs they ever tasted.

I like them, especially with their relish. I don't particularly care for relish and always got my dogs at Rutt's with mustard only. I finally tried the relish and regretted not doing so sooner. It's unique, and like the dogs, you either like it or you don't.

Hot Dog Johnny's is similar in that opinions are wildly varied. I think their dogs are mediocre, and as stated many times, a large part of the appeal at Johnny's is atmosphere, which I discount when judging a hot dog. I can't taste atmosphere.

Rutt's Hut is definitely a place that you have to go to and judge for yourself.
    aribo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/13 16:22:32 (permalink)
    I think this type of hot dog has a small percentage of cereal filler?
    Maybe that's what makes them fry well?
    I like Rutt's, and many others.
    ShellysDawgHouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/13 16:39:53 (permalink)
    this is why opinions are like .... Everyone has one. And i don't fault anyone for loving it. But it must be like that Opera Bear spoke of, and i don't get it.

Enjoy and to each his own.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5110
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/13 16:42:02 (permalink)
    Although I've never been to Rutt's Hut, as a person who grew up on the streets of NYC, I'd have to say, I would probably have to "pass" if invited to try a Rutt's Hut dog.
    I guess I'm too old fashioned and too used to what I grew up with. I've seen the "ripper" on TV and I would not want to even try one.
    However, that said, I would like to try their (famous) relish if given the opportunity.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/13 16:45:35 (permalink)
    Rutt's ranks in the top 3 of the worst hot dogs I have ever eaten...onion rings are good.
    richardao1
    Junior Burger
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/13 18:34:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Baah Ben

Rich - I would not have ordered the rippers. Did you order them because that was mentioned on tv or do you like a well done hot dog?

The NJ deep fried hot dog is definitely different. It is bland, sort of like bologna, and the texture and the condiments are a big part of the experience.

Personally, I have maintained for many years that our best NJ deep fried hot dog is at Hirum's in Ft. Lee. One big reason being I do not care for the mustard-relish condiment at Rutt's Hut.

Did you get to try Rutt's Hut's onion rings? I never had their chili..Did not even know they make one.

Yeah I always look for these types of places, I'm live in NY on the Island. I travel all over for work and this makes it a little bit of fun to try and find these so called "famous landmarks". The chili at Rutt's had a kick to it but I didn't get to try the onion rings. If you want to try a good chili dog try Skyline I think they are a franchise. I tried a few of the dogs at Skyline in Columbus, Ohio and I have to say it had a nice taste to it.
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 277
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/14 13:45:53 (permalink)
    just a couple of points, to perhaps set expectations.

the chili at Rutt's is unrelated to the hot dog. it's not as though they're serving texas wieners, for which the chili is an integral part to the experience. it's just chili.

i've noticed that when you order a "ripper", you tend to get a more well-done hot dog than if you just order a "dog". the well done dogs here are not to everyone's taste, and probably aren't a good example of their product. some people like them, but i prefer their dogs cooked a normal amount. regarding the original post, the dogs ordered "well-done" should have been more well-done than the rippers, which makes me wonder if the original poster likes really well-done hots dogs, but didn't like the dogs cooked less (the rippers), which would be odd, but not unheard of.

i'm sure someone will correct me on my rutt's vernacular, but this has been my experience over the past 20 years.
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/14 14:12:26 (permalink)
    That hot dog looks like it came of out something that rhymes with (Rutt) "HUT"
    rezlesj
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/14 14:16:59 (permalink)
    As has already been mentioned, Rutt's is about the deep-fried hot dog and the relish. They are not the place to go for a chili-dog/texas weiner. Never have been. I don't think anyone would argue the point.

I am also not a relish fan, but enjoy Rutt's relish which is different than anything else I have tasted.

For myself, as for many others, Rutt's may be about nostalgia. Having grown up in Passaic, it brings back memories of going with my father, who lived in Passaic his whole life. He is gone now, and my eyes always tear up whenever I look at pictures of my kids when they were little, eating a ripper at the same child's counter I did when my father took me.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18866
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/14 14:32:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by richardao1

quote:
    Originally posted by Baah Ben

Yeah I always look for these types of places, I'm live in NY on the Island. I travel all over for work and this makes it a little bit of fun to try and find these so called "famous landmarks". The chili at Rutt's had a kick to it but I didn't get to try the onion rings. If you want to try a good chili dog try Skyline I think they are a franchise. I tried a few of the dogs at Skyline in Columbus, Ohio and I have to say it had a nice taste to it.

Skyline, a chain out of Cincinnati, does not serve chili dogs. They serve Coneys, which are small hot dogs topped with a Greek-style meat sauce.
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/14 15:10:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Skyline, a chain out of Cincinnati, does not serve chili dogs. They serve Coneys, which are small hot dogs topped with a Greek-style meat sauce.
    is this just semantics, or do you think there's a meaningful distinction between a hot dog with chili on it vs a hot dog with Skyline chili on it.
    Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/14 16:11:43 (permalink)
    Actually while Skyline calls their dogs Coneys, they top them with official Skyline chili but without the kidney beans which is more like a Greek style meat sauce than what anyone more than a hundred miles from Cincinnati considers to be chili. Hope that clarifies things.

Edited to add: Rutt's Hut is that great.
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/14 16:34:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Holly Moore

Actually while Skyline calls their dogs Coneys, they top them with official Skyline chili but without the kidney beans which is more like a Greek style meat sauce than what anyone more than a hundred miles from Cincinnati considers to be chili. Hope that clarifies things.

Edited to add: Rutt's Hut is that great.

i guess that's like suggesting that Goffle Grill and Falls View don't serve chili dogs, but rather they serve Texas Wieners, which are deep fried hot dogs topped with a chili sauce that isn't really chili in the form that anyone would eat chili.

i've had Coneys at Skyline and considered them to be a form of chili dog. perhaps I need to go back for more data points.

I had two dogs from Rutt's for lunch today, thanks to this thread!
    Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/14 17:21:58 (permalink)
    Always good to go back to Skyline, whatever the reason.

I think of their Coneys as chili dogs, too. Was just trying to muddle things up some with my clarification.

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/14 20:28:26 (permalink)
    John, Rutt's Hut sure does stir up the foodies doesn't it. Great to read all these opinions. It is a place you just have to try.

I am fairly confident, despite one's opinion either way on their hot dog, that most of you will like their onion rings. They are really good. I like watching them prep them up.

After your meal, why not have dessert at the Tick Tock Diner Just keep heading west.....
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18866
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/14 20:42:08 (permalink)
    I'd really like to try one of those rippers. They look -- based solely on the photos posted here -- delicious. I mean, come on, at the very worst it's still not one of those simmered-in-water things.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/14 21:02:16 (permalink)
    I've been to Rutt's three times and have ALWAYS been impressed---rippers with relish please!!! I declared it the winner in a seven hot dog run from Hot Dog Johnny's (disappointing, but what atmosphere!) in Western NJ, all the way to Libby's Lunch (second best) in Patterson.
    TheClairvoyant
    Junior Burger
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/14 22:34:16 (permalink)
    Rutt's Hutt's dogs are a love it or hate it experience.

I love them, my wife thinks they're foul.

I only recently started putting the relish on them (quite tasty). I used to just eat them plain.

The onion rings rule. They're not so much rings as they are a greasy mass of breaded onions that were rings at some point. So good, I wish I was there right now.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5210
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/15 10:34:10 (permalink)
    After reading the review and seeing the photos I agree with Michael...they at least merit a try. I believe I'd get one fully fried and one "in and out" for comparison.

What's the relish taste like? Onions, carrots, and cabbage don't exactly call to me.

Will they fry the "greasy mass of breaded onions" to order? I like mine really dark and crispy.

Brad
    acoustic blues
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 86
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/15 10:44:25 (permalink)
    Like TheClairvoyant, I love them, my wife hates them. She much prefers Johnny and Hanges. Doesn't bother me, I love J and H's as well.

ab
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Rutts Hut not that great 2008/10/15 11:07:01 (permalink)
    I live close, and been to Rutt's once. Once was enough.

Mr. Stern remarked that "Outside Rutt's, you will meet some of the fattest pigeons and most well-fed gulls anywhere. They cruise the parking lot looking for scraps."

Hmmm...those fat birds are finding plenty for a reason. Many curious people do not make it through the parking lot.

For those who are curious about the relish. The best way to start to decipher the recipe is at the base. Put some in a strainer, run it under water, and you will find out what is underneath the flavoring. The flavoring is mosy likely some combination of mustard, vinegar, sugar, and/or sweet pickle juice and various spices that you can decipher, with some practice.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1