Rutt's Hutt...big mistake

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10272
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/10/16 02:10:48 (permalink)
Any Deep Fried Hot Dog ---Rutt's or anyone elses---Sucks!
vwgto
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/10/19 13:57:27 (permalink)
I think one of the secrets of Rutt's is to not go into the dining room. Go to the counter service area. It is simple and focused. The dining room is dingy and depressing. My wife could not get past that part of it...
travis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/10/19 16:14:21 (permalink)
Rutt's dogs are one of the premier dogs in this world, but they don't travel well - you gotta eat them then and there. Their chili is also one of the best treats New Jersey has to offer and it is excellent to-go even if you keep it for the next day; in the cooler it'll make it to Chicago.

It comes with or without beans (I am a beanless chili fan) and you get a neat little package of oyster crackers with it. Take some home and add a little chopped onion, hot sauce or dried pepper and maybe some shredded cheese (or for true Roadfoodies some spray sharp cheddar) - I keep my own dried habanero and spray cheese in my travel pack.

The chili goes well with your feet up while watching "CSI" or "Law and Order"
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/10/19 18:32:22 (permalink)
I think the dining room is quaint, a real throwback.

The Bear
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3727
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/10/19 19:46:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

I think the dining room is quaint, a real throwback.

The Bear

I agree. We loved standing at the counter eating our hot dogs and we loved sitting in the dining room and the bartender was terrific...... We really appreciate places like this............no cutsey waitstaff, no frills, and a really great place to take the grandchildren so that they can see what the "real" dining spots are all about.
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2336
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/10/19 19:55:18 (permalink)
Most of the time I grab a few dogs at the counter and eat them there. But on occasion I like to hang out at the bar. A special atmosphere and a great place to grab a few beers on tap. They even have Becks if you're in the mood to have something better than Bud or Coors. I've enjoyed going and having a couple of beers with my father and brother, then washing the beer down with a few wellers and some of their tasty homemade coleslaw. I've also gone with friends. Two years ago my wife wanted to take me out for dinner. I chose the Tap Room at Rutt's for beer and dogs.

The Galloping Hill Inn and Hirams are 2 other places serving good hot dogs and beer on tap. Great atmosphere as well.
puffh68
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/04 18:13:50 (permalink)
My father was deep frying dogs 50+ years here in CT. We continue that traditon at Mr. Mac's Canteen(Milford/Off i-95) or in Monroe CT (Rt25). I love them that way. I think if you over fry them too much they get too greasy. We deep fry them then finish them on the flat top grill to perfection.By the way we sell a ton of them....I remember John and a few hotdog tour people coming in a few years back. John take a drive back up 95 .....Also, epicurious.com had Mr. Mac's on their top ten list in the country. Rutt's was on it too. I have to get down to Jersey and try it out myself.
John Fox
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/04 19:16:12 (permalink)
I remember going to your place! One of the guys from Connecticut, Longdog, took me around to a bunch of places that day. The natural casing Hummels were delicious deep fried, then finished off on the griddle. The chili was the hottest chili I've ever had. Too hot for my taste. I remember the warning sign you had up. I forget which location we visited. But I'm up for a return trip.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5079
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/04 19:31:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

Any Deep Fried Hot Dog ---Rutt's or anyone elses---Sucks!

I concur.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/04 19:44:04 (permalink)
I have to be in the mood and I prefer an all beef dog like the one served at Amazing Hot Dogs to the beef/prok dog served at Rutt's

Dave
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/04 20:36:39 (permalink)
The onion rings at Rutt's Hut are greasy..Greasy good to me. They are not the ones with a bunch of breading (usually frozen) but rather made with a very thin coating of flours..You're getting almost pure onions and yes they are very greasy. Obviously not for everyone....In South Florida, several posters said they loved the Char-Hutt's onion rings..they are exactly the same way. I love their's too.

Fred - I'm suggesting before you make Rutt's Hutt your "very best hot dog" (glad we can convert you from those "salad dogs" of Chicago in any case) that you also try Hirum's in Ft. Lee on Rt 9W. I still do not think John Fox has been to Hirum's yet, but we have had this discussion for several years now.

John, am I correct that you still have not been able to get to Hirum's?

Foodbme--Too many smilies! Please contain your emotions. You will cause this site to go down according to the moderators! Like John Fox Hot Dog Guru says.."it's not for everyone." It is a very, very bland hot dog made of a combination of beef and pork or pork only...It's the unique texture, the blazing temperature that hits your mouth with that first crunchy bite, the condiments (I love the red and emerald green relishes and the brown mustard) and those two ice cold Yoo Hoos or a Birch Beer is fine, too. It's the whole package that give this dining experience it's favorable marks for me.

CC...Nope..I never saw too many girls in Hirum's. It's been a few years, but when I lived in Jeerze, I was at Hirum's at least once a week. Worked next door at Calahan's one summer, too. Another deep fried dog joint. Whenever I'm back in Bergen County, Hirum's is one of my very first roadfood stops.

So, Foodbme, just wondering? Do you like a good Chicago Salad Dog?
John Fox
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/05 19:49:56 (permalink)
Baah Ben,

I've been to Hiram's many times. You asked about it recently on the New Jersey Hot Dog Thread. Below is the reply that I've cut and pasted.

John Fox

1424 Posts
Posted - 11/16/2008 : 09:36:35
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hank's Franks is still there. I passed by it a few weeks ago on my way home from Attilio's Kitchen. I was there 2 summers ago and liked the dogs. Sabrett dirty water dogs that were tasty and hot although very small at 12 to a lb. I think I liked the chili. My review is on the gourmetchilidog.com or in the archives here from when I went with the S.W.A.T. Team. Very fast service as there was a line. They opened in 1959 and are still family owned.

Hirams is alive and well. They must be getting a lot of customers who frequented Callahan's. Baah Ben, you probably remember the old owner, Joe Barnao. He sold the place a few years ago to 2 of the guys who worked for him. Hirams opened in 1928 while Callahan's opened in the early 1940's. The 2 guys who bought it made a few small changes. One was to add a chili sauce to the menu. It's not a Texas Weiner type sauce like Libby's or the Hot Grill, but more of a spicy, hot chili similar to Father & Son in Linden. I've been back to Hiram's 2 or 3 times since we went there as a team 2 summers ago. Hirams took first place in the voting for best chili dog. It didn't place top 3 on my scorecard since it's a little spicy for my taste, but it does go well with the dogs. We judged dogs in 5 categories (grilled, boiled, fried, Italian style, and chili) and at the end were asked for our personal favorite dog overall of the entire summer. We went to 87 places and sampled over 100 different dogs since many places served more than one type of dog.

Out of 8 panelists, 5 chose Syd's, one chose Tony's truck, one chose Rutt's Hut, and one chose Hirams. Hiram's uses the Thumann's special dog for deep frying. It is made in varying sizes, but the same recipe dog is used by many places including Rutt's, Hiram's, Libby's, Goffle Grill, Pappy's, and others. Most use an 8 to a lb dog. Hiram's is 7 to a lb and a bit thicker than the dog at Rutt's. Since it is the same recipe, it tastes similar. I like this particular dog well done, so at Rutt's I ask for a weller. At Hiram's it doesn't come well done unless you request it. In Hiram's speak you ask for one "well". One other thing they do at Hiram's is to toast the bun. This isn't done at Rutt's or Libby's.

Hiram's has green relish and the usual assortment of condiments as well as burgers, fries, and beer. This dog compares favorably with Rutt's if you request it "well". I like the thicker size better than the Rutt's dog and the toasted bun is better as well. I love the relish at Rutt's better than any other relish. But if I was having just a plain dog with mustard, I would give Hiram's a slight edge ove Rutt's due to size and bun. I go to Rutt's more often simply because it is much, much closer to where I live.

Another interesting thing about Hiram's. They have one beer on tap (Michelob) and several brands of bottled beer. Last time I went was with the members of the S.W.A.T. Team. We enjoyed beers and dogs. A pint of Michelob was under $2.00; I think $1.50, which is a very good value. A friend had a bottle of Miller for around $4.00. She had less beer (12 oz to 16) and paid more for it. And Michelob is a much better beer than Miller.

Hiram's has a great atmosphere; one of the best for a hot dog joint. That in itself is not enough to entice me to go as Hot Dog Johnny's also is great for atmosphere, but the dogs are mediocre. And you can't taste atmosphere. But Hiram's has very good dogs if you like the milder, deep fried type, inexpensive beer on tap, and a great atmosphere. If it was closer to me, I'd go all the time.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/06 01:00:09 (permalink)
John..I never saw this response. Thanks. I remember asking about Hank's Franks, but I guess I never followed up or I would have seen this about Hirum's, too. Yes, I knew that two of the guys that worked at Hirum's brought the place.

I'm not a beer drinker so I never knew they had good deals on draft beer. They do have birch beer on draft. It is a great roadfood place.
adb280z
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/14 12:07:42 (permalink)
I live probably 10 minutes from Rutt's and have never been there. I need to fix that.
machineman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 95
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/17 07:22:18 (permalink)
I finally had the chance to try them last summer but I don't get the hoopla. How hard is it to deep fry a hot dog? They tasted just like I thought they would! Ick!

Ev1L
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/19 17:09:32 (permalink)
ShellysDawgHouse

I was recently at Rutts hut and was looking forward to seeing what all the hype was about and i have to say.... I thought they were thee worst hot dogs i ever had. I bit into one and all i could feel and taste was GREASE and it was horrible. I could not eat it. I don't know if they had a bad day but i won't rush back. And i was really looking forward to trying them.

But let's be realistic: as a cart owner, I am confident you have a preference for your own product .

To be honest, I have never had a deep fried dog but I would be more willing to drop by your cart for a dog than to have one deep fried.

How is the business going?
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/20 05:44:29 (permalink)
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/20 09:54:11 (permalink)
Miami Don,
That's so wrong! And I'm not even a huge fan of Rutt's Hut.

Dave
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7912
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/21 14:13:07 (permalink)
Don, are those Rutt's Rippers?  Is that mustard relish?

I'm thinking Fabs which I reviewed in my chili dog trip thread is copying Rutt's.

They also have Rippers and told me that the dogs were from New Jersey.

Now I HAVE TO GO BACK!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5079
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/21 14:33:30 (permalink)
MiamiDon

I know I'm probably in the minority, but, I'm sorry. I just could not eat that.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/21 16:43:13 (permalink)
mar52

Don, are those Rutt's Rippers?  Is that mustard relish?

I'm thinking Fabs which I reviewed in my chili dog trip thread is copying Rutt's.

They also have Rippers and told me that the dogs were from New Jersey.

Now I HAVE TO GO BACK!

Yes, Marlene, the photo is from the Roadfood.com review by Michael Stern.  With the new software, I couldn't figure out how to add text to the post.  I still don't.  Those are rippers, and the one has Rutt's proprietary relish.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7912
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/21 16:45:13 (permalink)
Thanks, Don.

Now I have to go back to Fabs and report back.

Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/12/21 17:02:22 (permalink)
TwinWillow..I am with you.  I do not like the rippers.  I also do not like Rutt's relish.  But, I do like their normal deep fried dog with an order of their greasy onion rings.

I think for those who have never experienced a NJ deep fried dog, this particular photo can be a turn off.   I wish someone would also  show one of their "normal" deep fried dogs, too. 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1