Rutt's Hutt...big mistake

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Fred Ferris
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
2006/05/16 13:55:05 (permalink)

Rutt's Hutt...big mistake

That is, a big mistake on MY part, as I just had my first one (OK three) ever last week...and can only say I don't think anything else anywhwhere will ever measure up...I am tainted for life.....This is one place that truly lives up to and exceeds its reputation....

Let's see..it's about a 12-hour drive from Chicago to Clifton, NJ...If I leave now, I can be back here at work by lunch tomorrow...

52 Replies Related Threads

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/16 14:41:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fred Ferris

That is, a big mistake on MY part, as I just had my first one (OK three) ever last week...and can only say I don't think anything else anywhwhere will ever measure up...I am tainted for life.....This is one place that truly lives up to and exceeds its reputation....

Let's see..it's about a 12-hour drive from Chicago to Clifton, NJ...If I leave now, I can be back here at work by lunch tomorrow...

From the subject I thought this was going in a very different direction. I like Rutt's dogs, but had the onion rings once, and a greasier pile of onion rings I have never seen. I felt a bit queasy after eating them. I'll stick with the dogs next time.
    cbolado
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/16 15:01:13 (permalink)
    They're my absolute favorite hot dogs. And the relish! Mmmmm. I agree, the onion rings are incredibly greasy; I only made that mistake once. But I like their chili.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/16 15:55:56 (permalink)
    Rutt's is only a two hour drive...maybe I could put off the yard work and go tonight??? Hmmm....
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/16 15:58:36 (permalink)
    MMMM, good chili and real greasy onion rings!!! I'm in! Oh... and a great dog toooo, wow! Am I dreaaming? Actually I also like not so greasy onion rings but those sound good right now. Hmmm, I have two 1015 onions in tha veg bin! Shoot, I'm to lazzzzy! Oh well.
    Joe
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2335
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/16 18:57:38 (permalink)
    Fred,

It's nice to see that someone from a hot dog mecca like Chicago can enjoy a hot dog from Rutt's Hut. Cbolado, you too are from Chicago right? Or you just attended school there? It's surprising that Chicagoans would like Rutt's because their dogs may be an aquired taste. They are deep fried and mostly pork based. In Chicago the dogs are all beef and either boiled, or steamed mostly. Or charbroiled.

Rutt's is an authentic North Jersey deep fried dog that many people in Jersey don't have a taste for. On the other hand, those who like them rave about them. And the relish is unique and goes great with the dogs.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/16 22:35:10 (permalink)
    I've seen Rutt's on the Food Network and mentioned many times here.. I cant wait for the day I head back out that direction to sample them out... I love my chili dogs around here, but compared to the east coast, they sound pretty plain. I'm not a real relish fanatic, but sure will try theirs.
    Fred Ferris
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/17 09:58:28 (permalink)
    Vic..I am not a relish fan either..but Rutt's is like no other...think it has carrots in it....very unique taste without overwhelming the dog..

That being said, first try one plain...you really need to experience the taste of Rutt's dog without distraction!
    brookquarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 280
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/17 10:14:00 (permalink)
    Rutts relish may be the best I've ever had.

On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of the deep fried style. Consequently, I always order an "in and outer"- their least deep fried dog.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/17 12:56:34 (permalink)
    Back in my younger (and more stupid) days, I used to toss dogs into the fryer... Whoever thought they would be edible? Now I kick myself for not sampling one..
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/17 13:29:45 (permalink)
    The last deep fried hot dog I had was at Swanky Franks in CT about 15 years ago, and it gave me the worst case of the trots I've ever had. It put me off "rippers" forever, but I always did want to try Rutt's. Are the non-fried dogs there just as good?
    cbolado
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/17 14:31:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John Fox

Fred,

It's nice to see that someone from a hot dog mecca like Chicago can enjoy a hot dog from Rutt's Hut. Cbolado, you too are from Chicago right? Or you just attended school there? It's surprising that Chicagoans would like Rutt's because their dogs may be an aquired taste. They are deep fried and mostly pork based. In Chicago the dogs are all beef and either boiled, or steamed mostly. Or charbroiled.

Rutt's is an authentic North Jersey deep fried dog that many people in Jersey don't have a taste for. On the other hand, those who like them rave about them. And the relish is unique and goes great with the dogs.

Yep, I spent four years in Chicago for college, but I'm originally from Miami. Rutt's is my fave, but the Wiener Circle in Chicago comes in a close second. I guess it depends on my mood -- sometimes a deep-fried dog can really hit the spot.

The one thing I haven't really warmed up to around here is the Texas Wiener. It's good, but I'm just not too keen on putting chili on my hot dog. (I get Rutt's chili in a bowl and eat it separately. Wouldn't want it interfering with the yummy relish.)
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/17 21:24:27 (permalink)
    Pigiron -
    Sounds like Swanky's needed to change their oil.
    I've been to Rutt's many times and have never had to find a toilet in a hurry. I don't think you can get a non-fried dog there....but I never asked.

cbolado -
    A chili dog is not on the menu at Rutt's. They won't serve a dog to you with chili on it.

Vic & Fred -
    The relish is very unique and quite tasty.
    It definitely has some carrot, cabbage and green pepper in it.
    They also sell it by the pint.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/17 21:58:06 (permalink)
    WHAT? NO CHILI DOGS? Oh man... Now thats a sin.
    millerfla86
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/17 23:02:52 (permalink)
    Im live in Tampa,FL and everytime we go up to see my grandfather we make it a must to stop in and get some wellers and ripppers! Then we order atleast 5 rippers and wellers along with a side of relish...'travlin'!! My dad grew up on Rutt's since the 50's and now me and my mom love them too. My mom has on her Rutt's Hut
    t-shirt right now. I wish I could have a ripper with relish!!

O... Has anyone had their duck?!?
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1877
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/20 09:07:41 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

I'm glad another fan has found Rutts Hutt . The relish is the best I've ever had and I usually do not like it on a dog.

The rippers are probably one of the top three dogs I've had .
    We visited Rutts on our past two Hot Dog Tour held in the fall .
    Along with Hot Dog Grill , Syds , Father and Son and others.

For those of you interested check the Miscelaneous - Foods section , our Hot Dog Tour for the upcoming Fall has been placed in that section .

Hopefully we have Rutts on tthe intinerary again , we shall see.

Date to be confirmed shortly , but probably a Sat in Sept or Oct.

Benzee
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/20 10:28:13 (permalink)
    About 6 years or so ago, Linda and I watched a PBS documentary on the nations famous hot-dog joints and we knew right away that we had to visit all of them .................. Bags packed we made a eight thousand mile road trip one year sampling the famous and not so famous hot-dog joints throughout the US of A form California to Maine .................. our all time favorite and deemed the best.... Rutts
    pictured below is from our Rutt's visit. From L to R one cremator and two rippers........
    Fred Ferris
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/26 12:49:04 (permalink)
    Posting this photo is cruel and unusual punishment to someone living in Chicago 10 minutes before lunch time...

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2006/05/26 12:56:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

About 6 years or so ago, Linda and I watched a PBS documentary on the nations famous hot-dog joints and we knew right away that we had to visit all of them .................. Bags packed we made a eight thousand mile road trip one year sampling the famous and not so famous hot-dog joints throughout the US of A form California to Maine .................. our all time favorite and deemed the best.... Rutts
    pictured below is from our Rutt's visit. From L to R one cremator and two rippers........

Those O-rings don't look nearly as bad as the ones I had the last time there. Mine were a heap of greasy onions that almost had to be eaten with a fork they were so limp. Yours look MUCH better!
    ShellysDawgHouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2007/03/18 12:47:09 (permalink)
    I was recently at Rutts hut and was looking forward to seeing what all the hype was about and i have to say.... I thought they were thee worst hot dogs i ever had. I bit into one and all i could feel and taste was GREASE and it was horrible. I could not eat it. I don't know if they had a bad day but i won't rush back. And i was really looking forward to trying them.
    mbnybor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2007/07/14 21:35:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ShellysDawgHouse

I was recently at Rutts hut and was looking forward to seeing what all the hype was about and i have to say.... I thought they were thee worst hot dogs i ever had. I bit into one and all i could feel and taste was GREASE and it was horrible. I could not eat it. I don't know if they had a bad day but i won't rush back. And i was really looking forward to trying them.

On a whim we went today. Firstly, the entire ride I felt as though I HAD TO LOCK MY DOORS.
    Once there I was so disappointed but had to give it a shot.
    It was filthy but no worse than any other hot dog venue.
    The dogs were ok, neither better nor worse than I have ever eaten before. We got two rippers and put on the relish and mustard.
    "Eh" is my vote. It would have stayed an eh until just before we left.
    We ordered two for the road, one plain, one with bacon. I have a habit of watching my cook in in view. While my bacon was cooking and my dog/bun were on the counter in front of him, he was throwing hamburger patties onto the grill(grill isn't in view, just he is).
    1,2,3.......patties go on...."No no no,please tell me he didn't do that!?". YEP, with the hands he handled raw burger meat he picked up my dig to put on the bacon.
    Nope, CANCEL please, just get me another plain....we left.
    My husband was farting all the way back to Central NJ.
    I feel ok, and it would have stayed an eh..but now its a BE WARNED.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2007/07/15 08:22:49 (permalink)
    Well he's a man, men fart. I could fart all the way back to Central NJ and I'm in Southern Cal.
    loucrew
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2007/07/15 09:15:09 (permalink)
    Rutts Hutt is my all time favorite hot dog. I was introduced to them by my father who would bring me there before or after a yankee game. Now I take my kids whenever we go to the stadium or the meadowlands.
    ShellysDawgHouse
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2007/07/15 15:42:44 (permalink)
    I don't know. I just didn't see it. I went once. (maybe a BAD day???) I have never had such bad dog. The grease just squirted in my mouth and let me tell you...... It was NOT nice. In fact i VERY rarely throw food away and i dumped it. I guess it is an acquired taste that i do not understand and i love fried foods.
    Oh well. to each his own.
    mbnybor
    Junior Burger
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2007/07/27 11:25:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

Well he's a man, men fart. I could fart all the way back to Central NJ and I'm in Southern Cal.
    mbnybor
    Junior Burger
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2007/07/27 11:27:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

OK! We both farted!
    Relayed the story to many friends and half of them were horrified and the other half were just as disappointed that we didn't find them the best.

I'm stumped.

Boiled, then pan fried (in bacon grease) a few for my husband since then and he says he's over it. Just throw them on the grill for now on.
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2007/07/27 16:33:27 (permalink)
    quote:

I don't know. I just didn't see it. I went once. (maybe a BAD day???) I have never had such bad dog. The grease just squirted in my mouth and let me tell you...... It was NOT nice. In fact i VERY rarely throw food away and i dumped it. I guess it is an acquired taste that i do not understand and i love fried foods.
    Oh well. to each his own.

I feel the same way. I guess I'm in the minority with you. I've been there half dozen times and never ate anything what I consider good there.
    ShellysDawgHouse
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2007/07/28 06:54:54 (permalink)
    Tamandmik,
    I am sooooo glad you posted because i REALLY feel like the minority here when it comes to Rutts. I thought it was sooo bad. and i just don't see it. So thank you for making me feel like i am NOT crazy.
    It must be an aquired taste
    iamprov
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/10/16 00:58:00 (permalink)
    I've already got my first Rutt's order planned... one ripper, one weller, onion rings, a small chili, and a birch beer. Then two more of whichever kind of dog I liked better.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Rutt's Hutt...big mistake 2008/10/16 01:21:49 (permalink)
    quote:

Tamandmik,
    I am sooooo glad you posted because i REALLY feel like the minority here when it comes to Rutts. I thought it was sooo bad. and i just don't see it. So thank you for making me feel like i am NOT crazy.
    It must be an aquired taste

Maybe it is a "guy thing". The Jersey girls have spoken...and we say a collective...Bleh.

It is funny to listen to men get emotional, about a greasy, fried to tears, bland hot dog. Maybe it is a male bonding thing.

An authentic North Jersey deep fried dog that many people in Jersey don't have a taste for. Indeed.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1