SE Ohio

Author
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
2010/03/04 13:24:04 (permalink)

SE Ohio

Ok for my job I spend about 10 days each month down in SE ohio. I cover Meig,washington,athens, and hocking county. I am looking for good lunch stops in this area. I love burger/hotdog joints. As I was driving into the area I saw a sign for super dog in Nelsonville and became sad when I saw it was closed
  By reading on here. I have Harmar Tavern in Marietta on my list to try.

The main towns in the area I cover are Athens,Nelsonville, Marietta, Belpre. I get close to Galapalis(sp)

I do from time to time on my way back to cinci, drive down to new boston and hit hickies for burgers.

So I guess if there is anything inbetween se ohio and Cinci. I am willing to hit it also on my way home. So I guess that means all of Southern Ohio LOL.

27 Replies Related Threads

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/04 13:45:11 (permalink)
    I hope that you get some responses.  Some of my ancestors are lived in that area, and I plan to visit some day.  I checked on line, and there is not a lot of internet presence for any roadfood-type eateries in that area that I could find.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4585
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/04 14:20:37 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18464
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/04 16:45:17 (permalink)
    Try the Gun Room at the Lafayette Hotel in Marietta. Terrific food. Also, in Nelsonville, The Coffee Cup. Oh, and there's a Sonic in Nelsonville, too. In Logan, Bush's Restaurant has terrific country fried steak.
    donw9876
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/04 20:03:57 (permalink)
    Ok, finally a thread  about this area. A burning question for anyone in the know:

There is a place in McConnellsville called "Boondocks BBQ & Grill". My wife and I visit family down there and we debated doing BBQ there on one trip. Her uncle discouraged us from doing so, describing basically terrible service and an episode where they ran out of shrimp and served him fried chicken nuggets and passed them off as shrimp and then argued with him that it was "special" shrimp. Her uncle also witnessed the chef or manager arguing about the food with other patrons.

However, I can find no bad reviews of the place online. But it could be ballot box stuffing, I've run into strings of multiple great reviews of mediocre places online that all curiously have the same date.

Then I found a video on a Zanesville TV station's web site where the owner of the Boondocks described a visit from "DDD", and Guy Fieri supposedly told him that his BBQ was awesome, memorable, etc. (It wouldn't surprise me if Guy did so, he's sort of the mirror universe version of Gordon Ramsey and never says anything negative about any eatery.)

So what's the real scoop on the Boondocks in McConnellsville?
    post edited by donw9876 - 2010/03/04 20:06:23
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1093
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/04 20:26:04 (permalink)
    Even though it was the most hungover I've ever been (as far as I can tell, the main activity in Marietta is drinking), I remember having a really good breakfast at the Busy Bee.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/05 13:12:38 (permalink)
    Even though it isn't that far from me, I have done little exploring in that area.  The place I really want to try is Miller's Chicken in Athens.

http://www.columbusfoodie.com/2009/09/19/se-ohio-edition-millers-chicken/

If you get to Miller's please let me know how it was.

ardee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/05 23:42:44 (permalink)
    When you travel US-52, there are two possibles in Portsmouth (I see you are aware of Hickies, but I will list it anyway):

Scioto Ribber, 1026 Gallia St, Portsmouth, Ohio - speciality BBQ ribs

Hickies Hamburger Inn, 3800 Rhodes Ave (east bound US-52), Portsmouth, Ohio - speciality hamburgers 

When you travel on Ohio-32, you might want to try these places:

Frantina's Restaurant, 613 South West St, Piketon, Ohio - not outstanding, just a good local restaurant

Barbara's Restaurant, 924 E Main St, Piketon, Ohio - not outstanding, just a good local restaurant

About 5 miles west of US-23, just off Ohio-32, is Tom's Restaurant, 1911 Tennyson Rd - not outstanding, just a good local restaurant

The Lake White Club, which overlooks Lake White near Waverly. It has been in business about 60 years, and is known for its fried chicken - but it is only open from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. To find it, follow Ohio-104 to Lake White, then turn onto Ohio-552, then go about 3/4 mile to the restaurant which is on the left.

Diner 23, 300 West Emmitt Ave (US-23), Waverly, Ohio - not open on Sunday.

Another place I used to recommend was the Emmitt House, 123 North Market St (corner of Market St and US-23), Waverly, Ohio - I regret to say that this establishment went out of business in August of 2009.

And I agree that the Sumburger is a worthwhile stop, and it is convenient to US-35 and US-50.
    baughman
    Cheeseburger
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/07 11:07:19 (permalink)
    any one ate at what seems like a local chain McClure's? I have seen it in 3 or 4 towns down there. I see they have a hotdog in the windows which tends to get me excited lol. Take that as you will.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/08 13:52:08 (permalink)
    Can anyone in the SE Ohio area confirm that the Riverside Restaurant in Stockport has indeed closed?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/08 14:24:33 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Can anyone in the SE Ohio area confirm that the Riverside Restaurant in Stockport has indeed closed?

I just tried calling the place at (740) 559-2300 and got a message saying "We're sorry. The number you have dialed is not in service at this time."
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/09 07:57:57 (permalink)
    Michael-
    Thanks for calling.  That is definitely not a good sign. 
    donw9876
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/09 19:44:45 (permalink)
    What is the board's take on the Stockport Mill Inn?
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/10 16:15:05 (permalink)
    My husband's family lives outside Marietta, so we are in this area several times a year.

Marietta Brewing Company has been a favorite. They closed for a short period of time, but it looks as though they will be reopened by the end of March. The Galley is owned by the same people who ran another, now defucnt favorite, Cafenated. We tried the Galley, but I remember very little about it. There is a drive-up/take out window down on Pike Street called Cone & Shake. Nothing remarkable, but the only home grown eaterty you will find in the midst of the chains down that way. There is a sandwich on 3rd Street, called, interestingly enough, The Third Street Deli.

In Logan, we've enjoyed The Olde Dutch Pantry. It's across from the Walmart.

For the life of me, I cannot remember where we have eaten in Athens.
    Except Bob Evans. 

Cathy

baughman
    Cheeseburger
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/12 21:16:49 (permalink)
     So I hit Millers Chicken today.  Had a camera with me for work, and forgot to taked pictures while there.
        If it didnt have Millers Chicken real big across the top. you would never know That it was a chicken place. Just a big brick building with the small attached brick building which is Millers Chicken.
        As for the chicken i got it to go since i had more work in Nelsonville.
     Came in a brown bag, with a white foil lined bag inside. Inside that bag was a cardboard tray with the chicken in it. I got the 5 piece. 1 thigh,breast,leg and 2 wings. WOW that looks alot worse in writing then it did in the bag. 5 pieces of chicken. man I am tubby.

The chicken was really good. The first bite gave me two things. one was a slight KFC regular recipe taste. With alot more crispiness to the skin. The second flavor I placed after I moved from the leg to the wings. IT was Liver/gizzards. I believe they cook the chicken in the same oil as the liver and gizzards. Which to me is a good thing. I love liver and gizzards.
       THe flavor carried over into the meat. The meat was nice and juicy, along with a good amount of flavor. Seems most places can get chicken moist, but the meat needs salt or something sometimes. This was good thru out.
      The skin was nice and crispy and darn tasty.

As a friend who lives in Athens warned me tho. The chicken is pretty greasy. Which does add to the flavor. Yet the whole ride home from Nelsonville to Cinci. It felt like i had lipstick on.

Seems I have gotten really lucky with chicken places in the last week. Old Y restaurant in Winchester ohio was good. Country Inn in Mt Orab was faboo and Millers Chicken was a good treat also. 
       Then i realised i had eaten fried chicken 3 times this week. Time to switch to vegi's for a week or so, so that my greasy goodness level can come back down to normal levels.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/12 21:42:10 (permalink)
    baughman-
    Thanks so much for the report from Miller's.  You did a great job of describing the taste of the chicken.  Did you try any of the sides?

I need to get there soon.
    airman3
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/13 10:01:57 (permalink)
    About the Boondocks in McConnelsville.  I have stopped there twice and the food in just OK.  I have
    just stopped for lunch so I have not had the ribs.  I have been to several of the places that Guy Feri has
    had on his show and I do not think the Boondocks will make the actual TV show.  Would not drive the 30 miles
    from my house to eat there but it is worth stopping by if you go past.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3142
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/13 10:17:38 (permalink)
    At the moment I am thinking the fried chicken at the Old Y and Country Inn are about on par with each other.
    tames
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/13 12:14:32 (permalink)
    What about O’Betty’s Red Hot Dogs & Sausages in Athens?  I've personally never been but heard it's great. 
    copper80
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/22 19:56:35 (permalink)
    I see that someone referred you to The Gun Room at the Layfayette in Marietta..I have never had a good meal there so do not recommend it!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/25 19:12:49 (permalink)
    I've eaten at the Gun Room just five times. I've never had a bad meal there. And their made-on-premises corned beef hash  was excellent.
    boblane
    Junior Burger
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/25 20:21:10 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if this is in the exact area, but my wife and I at at the Old Canal Smoke House in Chillicothe on Tuesday evening.  She thought the pulled pork was some of the best she's had, and I was impressed with the ribs I had.  The brisket was OK, but not like Texas.  The sweet and spicy sauce was outstanding.  I was surprised and impressed with this sort of up-scale type of place.
    baughman
    Cheeseburger
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/30 21:14:53 (permalink)
    Only had a few stops around Jackson and Chillicothe today. So the wife wanted to come along with me while I worked. SO we loaded the kids up and headed out.
       For lunch we hit JR VALENTINES in Jackson. I have good memories of Jr Valentines I use to eat at the one in Kenton Ohio decades ago as a little boy with my grandparents. Today was all you could eat fried chicken so I didnt need to see anymore. It was really good. On par with the Old Y and Country Inn near cinci. Juicy and the skin was nice and crispy. Had to wait 20 minutes to get it because, they cook it to order. Was a nice stop. def would stop agian for the chicken.
       For Dinner we hit SUMBURGER in Chillicothe. For me it was a really good Big Boy burger. I got the regular Sumburger. If I go next time i would get the dbl Sumburger because the meat gets lost in the sauce. Would I drive out of my way for a Sumburger? Not any farther then I would for a Big Boy. Good but not drive 100 miles just to eat there good. Like Crabills or Kewpees. Now I might change my mind after I try the dbl. For me the shake was the best part not the burger. Of course there was alot of hype leading up to my eating there. so that could have been part of the problem.
      Out of the 2 I was happier with JR Valentines

I found out there is a old hotdog stand in Gallipolis. which I hope to hit next time down in the area. Remo's
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/30 21:44:19 (permalink)
    baughman

So I hit Millers Chicken today.  Had a camera with me for work, and forgot to taked pictures while there.
        If it didnt have Millers Chicken real big across the top. you would never know That it was a chicken place. Just a big brick building with the small attached brick building which is Millers Chicken.
        As for the chicken i got it to go since i had more work in Nelsonville.
     Came in a brown bag, with a white foil lined bag inside. Inside that bag was a cardboard tray with the chicken in it. I got the 5 piece. 1 thigh,breast,leg and 2 wings. WOW that looks alot worse in writing then it did in the bag. 5 pieces of chicken. man I am tubby.

The chicken was really good. The first bite gave me two things. one was a slight KFC regular recipe taste. With alot more crispiness to the skin. The second flavor I placed after I moved from the leg to the wings. IT was Liver/gizzards. I believe they cook the chicken in the same oil as the liver and gizzards. Which to me is a good thing. I love liver and gizzards.
       THe flavor carried over into the meat. The meat was nice and juicy, along with a good amount of flavor. Seems most places can get chicken moist, but the meat needs salt or something sometimes. This was good thru out.
      The skin was nice and crispy and darn tasty.

As a friend who lives in Athens warned me tho. The chicken is pretty greasy. Which does add to the flavor. Yet the whole ride home from Nelsonville to Cinci. It felt like i had lipstick on.

Seems I have gotten really lucky with chicken places in the last week. Old Y restaurant in Winchester ohio was good. Country Inn in Mt Orab was faboo and Millers Chicken was a good treat also. 
       Then i realised i had eaten fried chicken 3 times this week. Time to switch to vegi's for a week or so, so that my greasy goodness level can come back down to normal levels.

We will be hitting the Old Y this week.

baughman
    Cheeseburger
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/30 22:13:55 (permalink)
    we eat there on thursday nights alot. my youngest son takes Gymnastics across the street from the Old Y then.
      I notice they had a nice pie list. So got the homemade Peanut butter pie last week. was darn good to go along with the fried chicken. It lists they make all there pies homemade but who really knows. Have not asked yet.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/30 23:06:04 (permalink)
    baughman

we eat there on thursday nights alot. my youngest son takes Gymnastics across the street from the Old Y then.
      I notice they had a nice pie list. So got the homemade Peanut butter pie last week. was darn good to go along with the fried chicken. It lists they make all there pies homemade but who really knows. Have not asked yet.

Our group was there a while back and we feasted on their pies and they are all home-made for sure.

arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re:SE Ohio 2010/03/31 02:19:21 (permalink)
    baughman

any one ate at what seems like a local chain McClure's? I have seen it in 3 or 4 towns down there. I see they have a hotdog in the windows which tends to get me excited lol. Take that as you will.

I've eaten at the McClure's in MacArthur, but it was too long ago to remember much about it, sorry.  Glad you got to stop at JR Valentine's in Jackson, though.  We're not often down that way, but their pork tenderlion sandwich and onion rings are excellent.  I've been wanting to try their fried chicken, too.

I did get a chance to eat at Miller's Chicken in Athens.  Good, and not greasy on the day we went.  Macaroni salad and coleslaw were both tasty, too.  I thought Bush's restaurant had a juicier fried chicken, but Miller's was more nicely seasoned-- not too salty, not undersalted.  The pieces are definitely on the small side, though.  I think I ate the thigh piece in three bites.  :)

raisedin99
    Junior Burger
    Re:SE Ohio 2011/04/20 20:45:22 (permalink)
    ardee

Another place I used to recommend was the Emmitt House, 123 North Market St (corner of Market St and US-23), Waverly, Ohio - I regret to say that this establishment went out of business in August of 2009.
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////       
    The Emmitt House is back up and running again 4 of us stopped there yesterday evening and had a steak dinner, the Emmitt is just as good now as it ever was...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1