SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/04/04 13:25:04 (permalink)
Mike,if you are have any trouble with these biscuits let me know...I'll be happy to help in any way .
A Creole Cook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/04/04 19:46:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

Well these sucked.

Didn't rise, dry, tasteless, just plain BAD.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

MikeS.

WOW!
These biscuits (?) look awful!

Never seen anything that looked like these. may I ask how you made them?
Maybe you can use them as weapons LOL
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/04/04 19:53:36 (permalink)

It looks like iqdiva has straightened you out on this, but it appears THESE were Elly Mae Clampett biskits.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/04/04 20:55:39 (permalink)
Best: Loveless in Nashville

2nd: Bojangles

3rd: Shatley Springs (between Jefferson, NC and Mouth of Wilson, VA)

4th: Hardee's

Cracker Barrell's aren't bad.

I always go for country ham or sausage gravy. For a sweet treat, mix some brown sugar or molasses with butter and slather that on a hot biscuit (the Pillsbury frozen biscuits are excellent for at home use).
mollydingle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 221
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/04/11 17:43:00 (permalink)
With all due respect to our not-quite reconstructed friends,we Yanks have good biscuits,too. Just harder to find.
Ain't NO ONE makes better biscuits than my Mum, oozing butter and honey, with wild bluberry honey!
steveindurham
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/04/15 00:22:56 (permalink)
Biscuitville -NC
Tudor's Biscuit World -WV, parts of Va.
pocodinero
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/04/27 11:48:03 (permalink)
Bisquets de Obregon in Cancun, Mexico (and throughout the country) are the best. If you are ever south of the (U.S.) border, make sure to try them.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1193
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/04/27 12:11:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by steveindurham

Biscuitville -NC
Tudor's Biscuit World -WV, parts of Va.

Really? We must have passed these places a hundred times over the years on our way to or from the Atlantic.

We'll have to check them out!
scottyg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/04/29 12:38:06 (permalink)
Biscuits? I've lived in Nashville TN for over 20 years. Loveless USED to be great but I've heard mixed reviews since the sale a few years back. I got a "to go" order a year or so back and it didn't taste as good as I remember but that was only one try. I'd put MY money on the Beacon Light! It's about 15 miles past Loveless Cafe on Hwy 100 (headed toward Memphis). TOTALLY different biscuits but INCREDIBLE!! Along with the phenomenal brown and redeye gravy (that's hard to find nowadays) AND the preserves. Strawberry is my favorite! I'd put them up against Loveless ANY day of the week (or weekend). S
dcwatts
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/07/08 22:32:56 (permalink)
There was an Emmy Award-winning documentary making the rounds of Public Television a year or two ago called The Rise of the Southern Biscuit which is pertinent to this discussion for two reasons:
  • Footage of master biscuit-makers in action (Mike S. take note)
  • A valuable list of specific biscuit eateries throughout the Southeastern US

Here is a link: http://www.theriseofthesouthernbiscuit.com/Biscuit_DVD.asp

... mmmhm - now I'm thinking I should whomp up a double batch to have plenty of leftovers for that[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Recipes/Recipe.aspx?RecipeID=64']bread pudding recipe[/url] from the Blue Willow Inn!

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/07/08 22:39:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by A Creole Cook

Anyone have a suggestion for the best roadside/Southern place to have good biscuits?

Thanks in advance

You Live in LA, CA
Get in your Car, drive 3000 Miles SE until you get to GA. Go into any mom & pop Greasy Spoon!
iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/07/08 22:41:43 (permalink)
Or,drive to Alabama to a good Southern cook's house !
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/07/08 22:43:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

Hardee's is known as Carl's Jr. out West. I never tried the biscuits there though.

MikeS.

Are you shure I think they are 2 separate entities!
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/07/12 23:27:55 (permalink)
Just slightly off topic...

I recently found a great product at a Wal-Mart SuperCenter in CT: Libby's Country Sausage Gravy (in a can). Wow...I was amazed as to how good it was. As good as homemade? Probably not, but being from CT, I haven't had that many versions of homemade gravy. All I know is that when I poured that over some freshly-baked Pillsbury frozen buttermilks, I was pretty sure I could smell the scent of magnolias! All kidding aside, a very good product, especially when you can't make your own.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/07/13 00:42:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

I recently found a great product at a Wal-Mart SuperCenter in CT: Libby's Country Sausage Gravy (in a can). Wow...I was amazed as to how good it was. As good as homemade? Probably not, but being from CT, I haven't had that many versions of homemade gravy. All I know is that when I poured that over some freshly-baked Pillsbury frozen buttermilks, I was pretty sure I could smell the scent of magnolias! All kidding aside, a very good product, especially when you can't make your own.

You poor Guy. You need to sign up for the work release program, Get permission from your parole officer, Buy a ticket on Greyhound and head South! Starting in VA and any state below that should should introduce you to what Southern Biscuits are all about. Don't forget the Sausage gravy & red eye gravy. File a trip report when you get back!
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/07/14 21:11:43 (permalink)
Foodbme, you're absolutely right. And that's why I'm traveling to TN in a few weeks to see my darlin' daughter and son-in-law. Because I miss them? Well sure, but more than that, I need a fix of B & G! Last time I was down there, I hit Loveless in Nashville...delish!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/07/15 00:53:59 (permalink)
quote:

Foodbme, you're absolutely right. And that's why I'm traveling to TN in a few weeks to see my darlin' daughter and son-in-law. Because I miss them? Well sure, but more than that, I need a fix of B & G! Last time I was down there, I hit Loveless in Nashville...delish!

I lived in Brentwood,TN for 4 years and my daughter currently lives in Franklin TN, we visit often. Both are suburbs of Nashville. Suggest you get some Hardee's biscuits while there. Also Checkout Mrs. Winner's Chicken. Both have good stuff for Chains.If you want to get some mixes to take home, I suggest Mrs. White's or Dixie Lily.
Midwestgirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/08/27 01:10:34 (permalink)
I personally gave up on trying to master the biscuit recipe. I have not a clue what I do wrong. Either they are too flat to doughy, heavy. Mike I have made biscuits that look like those also. So you are not alone. I now use those frozen Pillsbury biscuits. They taste like a great southern biscuit, fluffy and light and buttery. But hey, I will give iqdiva's recipe a try no doubt.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/08/27 10:12:35 (permalink)
quote:

I do make my own sausage gravy when I fry sausage but it is not always available. I have several cans of the libby's sausage gravy in the pantry and it works really good. I always add more pepper to it though.

I have also found that when I make my own gravy, I do not always have milk available as I never use milk as a beverage. I have tried using water instead and quite frankly, I can tell very little difference. I take the residual crubles and grease from the sausage and add a couple of teaspoons of flour, get it pretty and brown and add enough water for my use, let it get hot and stir like crazy until I get the desired consistency. I add enough black pepper to give it a kick and then I Pour it over the sausage and my baked frozen biscuits with some mello Joy coffee and my ugly dog and myself really enjoy it.

I am also a fan of the frozen Pillsbury frozen biscuits. They work real good for me.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4274
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/12/01 11:31:22 (permalink)
Kuby's Sausage Haus in Snider Plaza (across Hillcrest from Southern Methodist University), University Park (Dallas), TX. http://www.kubys.com

A true German deli/Restautant, they serve a plate-sized biscuit with outrageously good sausage gravy. (Just around the corner is the best BBQ in Dallas: Peggy Sue's and the best fried chicken/home cookin': Bubba's).

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/12/01 11:50:31 (permalink)
I sincerely wish I could duplicate Hardee's biscuits. I have tried many times but I cannot. When they are hot and fresh, they are to bsicuits what Krispy Kreme is to doughnuts when they are hot and fresh.

Sometimes I go to Hardee's and just get a couple of their hot fresh biscuits.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bigdave125
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/12/01 12:13:19 (permalink)
I may be missing something here, but what's wrong with "Bisquick"???

Get "Bisquick Complete" package at your local grocery store, follow directions on the package. Can't go wrong.

BTW, People here react to drop bisquits like its the plague or something! I grew up in Tennessee and Georgia and my Mom made me drop bisquits all the time! To me they are so much better than regular rolled biscuits! JMO.

Bigdave125

Link:
bettycrocker.com/products/bisquick/product-list.htm
CookieMonster84
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: SEEKING THE BEST most DELICIOUS BISCUITS! 2007/12/04 12:17:12 (permalink)
I agree - get back to basics. If I am really craving some biscuits, I will buy Grands Buttermilk Biscuits and bake them in the oven and then drizzly honey and a little butter on top...mmm...
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1