SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA??

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2004/01/20 12:49:28 (permalink)
BINGO !
Blarnson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2004/02/19 16:32:05 (permalink)
Being from the NJ Shore area myself and now living in Northern VA, what I wouldn't give for a Jersey Mike's sub and a Vic's Pizza.
jm199
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2004/02/19 17:05:48 (permalink)
As I previously posted (in this forum on page 1), if you have a hankering for good east coast submarine sandwiches, hoagies, grinders, zeps, calzones, strombolis, cheesesteaks, or real east coast pizza (you know the kind-hand tossed crust, (with the dough made on premises), fresh ingredients with loads of toppings) at reasonable prices, the very best place in the metro Washington, DC area is:

Giuseppe's
213 N. Washington Street
Rockville, MD

(Get directions before you go-it is tucked away in a tiny shopping center by the Rockville courthouse.)

301-424-0413

Try it, you'll like it. Tell Scott (the owner) that I said hello.

John
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2004/08/23 08:29:00 (permalink)
Just went yesterday with the family to The Italian Store. Despite the long wait at the counter while sandwich orders were filled, and the fact that two of their three pizzas were unavailable -- those being the White Pizza and Supreme Pizza -- the pizza is worth the wait. I was really hoping to try a white pizza -- never tried one, and I don't get to Connecticut very often, like never. So I will have to go back to try the famous white pizza ....
quote:
Originally posted by rbpalmer

I found this message in another thread and thought you might be interested, Farfel280. Hope you're still monitoring this thread.

For a kid from Queens that moves around a lot, finding "good" pizza can be tough. Florida was hard, California was IMPOSSIBLE, but in DC we got lucky.

The joint of choice for our family is "The Italian Store" 3123 Lee Highway Arlington, VA. (703) 528-6266. This is just across the river from DC... close enough to drive over during lunch, and I work in SE DC. It is in a Giant Foods strip center on Lee Hwy at Spout Run Pkwy. Easy access off 66, or the GW Pkwy to the Spout Run exit to Lee Hwy.

Pretty creative name, huh? The subs are excellent (long lines at lunch) but this is where I buy my pizza on the drive home from work. They do Neapolitan and Sicilian. Plain is excellent... toppings aren't necessary to hide the taste of the pizza like at those chain stores. It is a good Italian grocery with wine, pasta, cheese, and other imported items. They even sell Vespas (Italian motor scooters) out front.
Caio.
Vic
johno
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2004/08/24 01:10:34 (permalink)
There was a "Marino's Pizza" around Arlington. They have a strange pizza, made on huge 30"x40" pans, which they cut into about 5"x5" square pieces. Instead of Large/Medium/Small, you order a number of pieces cut from the pan and they finish baking it to your order. I can't quite say it's a great pizza, but it is different, and it is good. Every time I drive near Arlington, I stop there, have one piece, and more to take with me. The building looks like a converted 1950s McDonald's or something like that from that era. The last time I was there was two years ago, and I hope they're still there. I just found a listing on the web:

Marino's Pizza & Subs 3100 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Alexandria, VA 22305 Tel: (703) 548-8544
Big_Dawg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2004/11/08 13:16:24 (permalink)
I think 3 Brothers beats Guiseppe's, but only because of the flavor of the crust. G's is somewhat/slightly dry and bland, 3B's is sort of sweet, buttery savory. The balance of cheese and sauce on either is near perfect. G's proprietors are really great people too, they deserve their success; 3B's is becoming kind of chain -like, stores in Rockville, Hyattsville, Beltsville and Annapolis (Annapolis food not as good as the others) that I have been too.
jm199
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2004/11/08 20:17:24 (permalink)

And why would you want your pizza crust to taste buttery??? Real pizza crust does NOT have butter in it!
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2004/11/08 22:47:13 (permalink)
Was at Guiseppe's yesterday and just polished off the remains of one I brought home. The crust still has that very fresh yeasty taste that is the hallmark of a Squirrel Hill pizza. Lots of cheese too, but I will say that for some reason the take home pizza was a little blander than the slices I had in the store. Nonetheless this is the best pizza I have had in the Baltimore Washington area, and I would be a regular there if I lived closer.

They have moved to a new location next to the big movie theatre across from the Metro station in downtown Rockville, just off the Pike and Monroe Lane. There's also a Potbelly Sandwich Works adjacent. They make a pretty good tasting sandwich for $3.79.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2005/02/03 20:37:49 (permalink)
One of my new regular places is Litteri's italian specialty store in DC. Great italian subs. http://www.litteris.com
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2005/06/01 20:50:05 (permalink)
Nobody mentioned Vace - there are two that I know of, one in Cleveland Park, DC, and the other sorta near downtown Bethesda. You can get slices, a whole pie to take out, or dough to make your own, but there is nowhere to sit. They also offer a few cold subs and wonderful homemade fresh pasta of various kinds, as well as some Italian specialty items.
signman
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2005/06/01 23:31:42 (permalink)
You can bring some Vace carry out when you come over to Pizza Johns.
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 2011
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2005/06/02 11:34:33 (permalink)
The Family Pizzeria in the Dumfries/Triangle area was very popular 30 years ago. When I was back for a single visit 4 or 5 years ago, they had grown to several stores.
beckythemom
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2005/06/29 20:59:49 (permalink)
When I lived in Virginia (about 9 years ago) we loved going here to eat:
http://www.generousgeorge.com/main.html

And when I was pregnant seven years ago I used to drive the hour back to Sterling, Virginia to eat here:
http://shopleesburg.com/html/restaurants/emilios/home.html

I'd go to either again. Especially Emilio's. The "Mesquite Pollo" pizza makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2005/07/05 13:17:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dctourist

Nobody mentioned Vace - there are two that I know of, one in Cleveland Park, DC, and the other sorta near downtown Bethesda. You can get slices, a whole pie to take out, or dough to make your own, but there is nowhere to sit. They also offer a few cold subs and wonderful homemade fresh pasta of various kinds, as well as some Italian specialty items.

Here's a very interesting article about pizza in Italy and local pizza from the Washingtonian Magazine. It ranks a lot of the local pizzerias (including Vace -- thumbs up), and reinforces a couple of my beliefs, i.e., that all supermarket pizzas suck and eat-in pizza is always better than delivery or carry-out. http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/diningguides/2800.html
jmcho@hotmail.com
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2005/07/10 23:20:53 (permalink)
Well, I've done some looking myself -- and I am from Jersey as well.

Here are places I highly recommend for subs.

In Herndon -- The Deli (off of Elden Street/Baron Cameron) in the same shopping center as K-mart. Its a grocery type place -- but the owner is Italian and grumpy -- but makes a good sub. He has a second shop off of Jermantown Rd -- people like that place too, but I've never been there. On the other hand -- ther are no seats at his Herndon grocery and people line up. At first -- I was certain no shop in the DC-area could top them but then came new competition last year.

In Gaithersburg, MD (very close to Guiseppes), there is Gourmet Market (another Italian market) and the owners are Italian-Americans and from Brooklyn. They opened up mid-to-late last year. The owner was impressed with my raving about The Deli in Herndon that he went there himself and tried their subs. I mean thats how serious this guy takes his subs. Needless to say, Gourmet Market subs are the best in the DC area. I've made alot of trips around the area when someone raves about a sub. NOPE. Haven't beaten this place yet. They know how to make subs -- and its not this mainstream stuff -- they actually put the meat in the right order and the mortadella goes next to the Provolone -- and the lettuce is shredded to a fine mist. You got the idea?? Gourmet Market is off of 28 and the Quince Orchard intersection in a standalone building near the Fuddruckers. Its pretty BLEEPIN good (for the DC area). You know your there when you open the door and you hear all this pop Italian music.

Regards,
John
signman
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2005/07/11 02:21:24 (permalink)
John, That's a pretty strong recommendation. I guess I'll have to find the Gourmet Market on my next visit to the area.

skinsfan.06
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/17 13:59:36 (permalink)
SIGNMAN: You are scaring me! I actually went to High School in Squirell Hill (Allderdice) and used to go to Mineos (and Ailios) regularly. One of my classmates used to work at Mineos....a short guy named SCOTT. Wonder if it is the same guy.

In any event, to answer the origional post....I can't believe that no one mentioned "VALENTINO'S" which is in NOVA (Annendale). It is owned by these NY Pizza guys who moved to the D.C. area and started an authentic New York Style Pizza. They are also really creative with toppings. Some include egg plant, Meatballs the size of a small orange (seriously), Pasta (yes, pasta on top of Pizza), Chicken ala Vodka, etc. Although I wouldn't personally like eggplant on my Pizza, I like their innovation. BTW, the slices are absolutely HUGE!!!!!!

I am a Pizza nut. Every city I go to, I try to find the best Pizza joint, and I'm tellin' you, VALENTINOS Pizza is one of the top 2 or 3 Pizza's that I have ever had. Much better than Mineos (Pittsburgh) and several other of the above listed joints (that I have actually been to).

It's all about preference. The sauce is a little sweet. If you don't care for sweet sauce, you might only give it a 9/10 .
skinsfan.06
Junior Burger
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/17 14:03:08 (permalink)
By the way, VALENTINO's is off of the corner of Little River Turnpike and Beaueguard Street (right behind the Arby's).....down from the Landmark Mall.
signman
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/17 14:05:26 (permalink)
I'll be over that way at the end of the month so will check it out. Thanks for the directions.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/17 14:17:00 (permalink)
Those are some strong recommendations. I don't get to eat in the burbs that often, but I think I need to try these places.

Don't forget Vace's italian deli in Cleveland Park on Conn. Ave., the Italian Market in Arlington, VA on Rt. 29 at Spout Run, and Marcella's on Conn. Ave in Chevy Chase. The Italian MArket and Marcella's are so close to DC, you can smell Marion Barry's crack pipe.

Good italian is here, it's just not on every street corner like up North.

skinsfan.06
Junior Burger
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/17 18:16:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

I'll be over that way at the end of the month so will check it out. Thanks for the directions.

No problem. I (like you) grew up on Mineos Pizza in Squirrel Hill, so I know good pizza. If you ever been to NYC and had NY Pizza, it is the best....and these guys are Pizza guys from New York that relocated to the NOVA area. If you don't like it, I would really be surprised. Once again, IMO, this Pizza is much better than MINEOS PIZZA....but you be the judge.
signman
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/17 20:38:11 (permalink)
Just because I know Squirrel Hill pizza doesn't mean I grew up on it. I prefer Aiello's anyway, but I'm Bawlamer born and raised, hon.

What NYC pizza do you like? I get all confusedwhether I like Rays, or Famous Rays, or Ray's Famous, or Rays Original, or Original Rays, or Famous Original Rays, or Original Famous Rays,or Original Rays Famous, or Rays Famous Original, or Famous Original Rays, or Ray Bari. But you doesn't has to call me Johnson.
skinsfan.06
Junior Burger
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/18 10:20:01 (permalink)
quote:

Just because I know Squirrel Hill pizza doesn't mean I grew up on it. I prefer Aiello's anyway, but I'm Bawlamer born and raised, hon.

What NYC pizza do you like? I get all confusedwhether I like Rays, or Famous Rays, or Ray's Famous, or Rays Original, or Original Rays, or Famous Original Rays, or Original Famous Rays,or Original Rays Famous, or Rays Famous Original, or Famous Original Rays, or Ray Bari. But you doesn't has to call me Johnson.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought that you grew up on Squirrel Hill Pizza. My bad. You just sounded like the many Pittsburgers that I've come across.

In any event, I am a NATIVE WASHINGTONIAN (one of the few). My family moved to Pittsburgh we lived there as a child before I moved to Baltimore (your home town) when I was 17 to attend college. As for Pittsburgh Pizza, actually, I used to flip-flop between Mineos and Aiellos. They were about even IMO.

I lived in BMORE for nearly 20 years and have yet to find any good pizza there. As far as NYC Pizza is concerned, I like Lombardi's....but all of them are good. Haven't had a bad slice up there yet.
Funktron
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/18 10:30:39 (permalink)
I'm from Northeastern PA----Wilkes-Barre area---and there are several different styles of tremendous pizza there. Now, living in the DC area, sadly, I must agree with the majority of you----there isn't a great pizza to be found here. Case closed. The closest thing to good that I've found is pizza from "The Italian Store" in Arlington, VA, any of the Mama Lucias scattered around and also a place in the Tysons Mall, Lucianos. Lucianos and The Italian Store also make pretty decent subs. Again, not Wilkes-Barre PA standards---nothing like a good hoagie from the northeast----but these DC subs are pretty good. The pizzas I mentioned are "acceptable." The Italian Store extra large size is a good pie. DC has great Thai food and some other good ethnic food, but pizza is just not our thing.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/18 11:03:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Funktron

I'm from Northeastern PA----Wilkes-Barre area---and there are several different styles of tremendous pizza there. Now, living in the DC area, sadly, I must agree with the majority of you----there isn't a great pizza to be found here. Case closed. The closest thing to good that I've found is pizza from "The Italian Store" in Arlington, VA, any of the Mama Lucias scattered around and also a place in the Tysons Mall, Lucianos. Lucianos and The Italian Store also make pretty decent subs. Again, not Wilkes-Barre PA standards---nothing like a good hoagie from the northeast----but these DC subs are pretty good. The pizzas I mentioned are "acceptable." The Italian Store extra large size is a good pie. DC has great Thai food and some other good ethnic food, but pizza is just not our thing.

Case closed? I'm from NY, and I think you've been drinking too much Yuengling or maybe too many long neck bottles of Stegmeier. "Acceptable?" compared to PA pizza? you must be kidding. PA pizza is the worst! (aside from maybe Michigan) those different styles include a dried out dough with ketchup. Let's not make PA pizza what it isn't.

And I'll argue that Luciano's a more than "acceptable." It's thin, crispy on the bottom, soft and chewy on top, the right amount of sauce and cheese, and the sauce has the right amount of sweet, tang and seasoning. Plus, others have mentioned some other great spots.

(PS Just kidding about the Yuengling and Stegmeier )
skinsfan.06
Junior Burger
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/18 12:41:01 (permalink)
Yeah, I kinda agree with you SCOREREADER. D.C. has some pretty decent Pizza places. The problem is that they are not on every street corner (like NY, Chicago, etc.). Between D.C. proper, Maryland burbs and Virginia Burbs, you can find some good pies. Now, any of you guys who live in the "metro" area.....do yourselves a favor, won't you, and go to VANENTINO'S PIZZA IN ANNENDALE, VA. How good is their Pizza? Well, put it like this, I live in MARYLAND....and I go over go VIRGINIA, about 40 minutes from my house, to get their PIZZA . I LOVE it.....and they have some good Pasta dishes. If you like New York Pizza....get it here, locally, from New York Pizza makers.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/18 12:55:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

Good italian is here, it's just not on every street corner like up North.

I'm wichyou skinsfan.
I'll be sure to try Valentino's within' the month, you try Marcella's and/or Vace's and tell me what you think. They're both closer to you than Annandale. Vace's remind me of home.
~Scorereader.
signman
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/18 13:57:53 (permalink)
Skinsfan, As I probably posted back at the beginning of this thread, the only pizza in Baltimore that I go out of my way for, about a 25 minute drive, is Pizza Johns on Back River Neck Road in Essex. It's a style all their own, but very tasty, and loaded with quality toppings.
Funktron
Junior Burger
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/18 16:16:00 (permalink)
Scorereader: Actually, Pennsylvania is an oddity. I didn't mean to say that ALL PA pizza is good. In fact, there are pockets of PA, such as Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton that have terrible pizza. But I believe parts of western PA/Pittsburgh have good choices and I know for sure that Wilkes-Barre and the surrounding areas have great pizza. Some of it (Old Forge Style) is kinda dry like you described, though some people go crazy for it. I enjoy the round, thin pies with lots of sauce and a style of cheese that just doesn't exist in DC. Also, there is another style up there----little rectangular cuts with a crispy fried crust on the bottom, that are very good. And the original Grotto Pizza was Harvey's Lake, PA---now there are Grotto's in other areas too.
Funktron
Junior Burger
RE: SOS: Any decent pizza/subs in Northern VA?? 2006/05/18 16:17:19 (permalink)
quote:

Skinsfan, As I probably posted back at the beginning of this thread, the only pizza in Baltimore that I go out of my way for, about a 25 minute drive, is Pizza Johns on Back River Neck Road in Essex. It's a style all their own, but very tasty, and loaded with quality toppings.

Is there a place in Baltimore called "Bops" Pizza? I heard it was good.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1