SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS

Author
captain_keevin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
2006/08/16 17:37:28 (permalink)

SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS

My favorite ice cream place was found when I was visiting my son near Plainfield, Illinois, when he was living there about 5 years ago. Oberweiss is a dairy, I believe, out of Wisconsin, using all natural ingredients. They claim to be only one of two super premium ice creams in the country. In looking at their ingredients, they definitely have one of the highest concentrations of butterfat in the ice cream on this planet,( I believe it was 18%) but to put it mildly, it is heavenly! It's just a little bit of Paradise on a waffle cone. I wish that I was there, enjoying some of that great ice cream, right now.

29 Replies Related Threads

Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2006/08/16 18:02:37 (permalink)
    Oberweis is headquartered in North Aurora, IL and has quite a few locations in Illinois plus a few in neighboring states. You can always drive up to Carmel, IN for your fix.

http://www.oberweisdairy.com/web/default.asp
    FuwaFuwaUsagi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/24 00:01:04 (permalink)
    To my tastes, there are two great mass producers of great ice cream, Blue Bell and Oberweis.

I love both of them. In the Fox Valley of IL, Oberweis ice cream is legendary. It is so very darn good. My business travels take me frequently into Blue Bell territory.

A few years a go I thought of opening up a scoop shop, Oberweis was a natural choice, unfortunately they started franchising and that sort of drove a stake through the idea of an independent scoop shop featuing their ice cream. The only ice cream I thought could hold a torch to them was Blue Bell, but Blue Bell is geographically limited.

I have always wanted to do a taste test between the two. I think Oberweis is probably the premium winner, but not every one likes a super premium ice cream. Simply put, it can be too rich for some palates. For instance, though many would disagree, I don't particularly like Oberweis ice cream for typical sundaes, as I find it too rich, but I like nothing better for eating with in season fully ripened blue berries, black berries, raspberries, cherries, gooseberries, black berries, straw berries, or currants.

Oberweis ice cream, so good. Blue Bell so good.

fuwafuwausagi
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/24 10:10:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by FuwaFuwaUsagi

To my tastes, there are two great mass producers of great ice cream, Blue Bell and Oberweis.

I love both of them. In the Fox Valley of IL, Oberweis ice cream is legendary. It is so very darn good. My business travels take me frequently into Blue Bell territory.

A few years a go I thought of opening up a scoop shop, Oberweis was a natural choice, unfortunately they started franchising and that sort of drove a stake through the idea of an independent scoop shop featuing their ice cream. The only ice cream I thought could hold a torch to them was Blue Bell, but Blue Bell is geographically limited.

I have always wanted to do a taste test between the two. I think Oberweis is probably the premium winner, but not every one likes a super premium ice cream. Simply put, it can be too rich for some palates. For instance, though many would disagree, I don't particularly like Oberweis ice cream for typical sundaes, as I find it too rich, but I like nothing better for eating with in season fully ripened blue berries, black berries, raspberries, cherries, gooseberries, black berries, straw berries, or currants.

fuwafuwausagi

Nice to see that Oberweis, like Blue Bell, chooses to make only chocolate and vanilla sugar-free ice cream, since these are the only two flavors that we diabetic ice rream lovers will apparently eat. At least the industry is consistant.
    jman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1364
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/24 10:25:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Niagara

quote:

fuwafuwausagi

Nice to see that Oberweis, like Blue Bell, chooses to make only chocolate and vanilla sugar-free ice cream, since these are the only two flavors that we diabetic ice rream lovers will apparently eat. At least the industry is consistant.

Do I detect a little sarcasm? My guess is that the reason they both make only chocolate and vanilla is because of economy of scale. Just about everyone likes chocolate and vanilla, but when you venture away from those two, it probably doesn't pay them to make small amounts of any other flavors.
    toto11
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/25 20:23:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jman

quote:

quote:

fuwafuwausagi

Do I detect a little sarcasm? My guess is that the reason they both make only chocolate and vanilla is because of economy of scale. Just about everyone likes chocolate and vanilla, but when you venture away from those two, it probably doesn't pay them to make small amounts of any other flavors.

He doesn't know. Been through this debate before regarding Blue Bell.
    To prove the point, we have No sugar added Banana split in our freezer. Mom's got Great divide and butter pecan in hers.
    5 flavors are available at our bigger Publix, along with the yogurt.
    See for yourself, least they make a few.
    http://bluebell.com/What_Were_Crankin_Out/nosugar_icecream.aspx
    Still most people buy ice cream for that..'real ice cream'.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/25 21:06:46 (permalink)
    TNT-

Actually, I DO know. <moderator edit>
    I've already explained my opinions and situation point by point, and you never responded.

I just go to Braum's and have my choice of sugar free Vanilla, chocolate, butter pecan, chocolate almond, chocolate pecan, coffee or chocolate chip.
    toto11
    Junior Burger
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/26 20:47:49 (permalink)
    What kind of response DID you want? Like you stated..it's your 'opinion'. I'm just clarifying, WITHOUT the negativity. to FuwaFuwaUsagi and Jman, what's true. Go to ANY local store tomorrow, and tell me how many flavors, per brand, you can find that are NSA related. It's just amazing how many gripe, yet don't understand the logic, then blame the supplier or vendor.
    JamesA11
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/26 22:35:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TNT17

What kind of response DID you want? Like you stated..it's your 'opinion'. I'm just clarifying, WITHOUT the negativity. to FuwaFuwaUsagi and Jman, what's true. Go to ANY local store tomorrow, and tell me how many flavors, per brand, you can find that are NSA related. It's just amazing how many gripe, yet don't understand the logic, then blame the supplier or vendor.

I just came home from the 2nd shift and found this topic interesting, mayvbe i can shed a bit of light for you. Won't say which local grocery store here in Arkansas, but we are nationwide. OUr modular dropped today, which shows what company/vendor/supplier etc. space gets in the upcoming reset. Edy's and Breyer's have always had that space maxed out in past years but Blue bell finally outgained them. Course it's based on sales, all it is, pure dollars. That helps them with their size and pricer per ounce since Edy's and Breyer's went from 56? oz to 48 oz as of this week or next. price increase and smaller cartons don't win usually. Blue bell's still full half gallon. But that no sugar added drives me crazy at times. So many requests from customers and always never enough space. Then our frozen food manager will get that certain item, put in on the shelf when he sees the delivery drivers, and low and behold, it's there for weeks sometimes. Trying to cater to certain people just does not work. Just as the same with south beach diet f.f items and all the atkins diet plans last few years, it's phased out and we have to slot items that will sell, based on what the suppliers pay for their certain alotted space. Luckily endcaps are another option. We had Edy's slow churned and light in the display for a month and were able to sell more items to the ones that demanded it. But then after 4 weeks gave it to Blue Bell and they put just regular ice cream in and it was already +27% after the first week. 95% of the people i talk or see come for the simple fact of real ice cream, thus this is what you will continue to see at most grocery stores. The rest, well i guess the organic grocery type stores win their business.
    JamesA11
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/26 22:37:03 (permalink)
    Oopsie lol quoted the wrong post and person. Sorry TNT!
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/27 09:56:30 (permalink)
    [quote It's just amazing how many gripe, yet don't understand the logic, then blame the supplier or vendor.

As I've said before, TNT, I understand the vendor or supplier can't vend or supply what the manufacturer chooses not to manufacture.
    toto11
    Junior Burger
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/27 21:05:03 (permalink)
    quote:

[quote It's just amazing how many gripe, yet don't understand the logic, then blame the supplier or vendor.

As I've said before, TNT, I understand the vendor or supplier can't vend or supply what the manufacturer chooses not to manufacture.

'Choose not to manufacture'.
    Again, obviously not true. Blue Bunny manufactures 10 NSA Reduced Fat. In a 12 door frozen food set, they have 2 varieties. in a 15+ door set, they have 6. NSA Fat Free, they make 3. In the same size sets, 1 variety in the smaller doors, 2 or 3 in the larger doors.
    Edy's NSA slow churned light- 11 flav's. 12 door set, 4 of them. 15+, 8 of them.
    So why produce all these flavors when the stores aren't allocating the space for them?
    Exactly why Breyers, Edy's, Mayfield, Pet, Laura Lynn, Ingles Best are all going through the shrinking size phase yet at the same retail. Glad some companies head's above water at least. Sure they'll manufacture 5 still, and the new light flavors. And i'm sure the $$ demand on allocated space will continue, and sales will speak for themselves. Thus, your conclusion you've whined and griped about and have seen, will still always go to manufacturer and not Wally World or other grocery stores, where it should be directed at. Think about it, if that happened more (Publix is a great example) then you'd see a full shelve and more items produced. Some just don't throw money out for production when rotation, merchandising and space allocation just won't allow it.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/27 21:09:37 (permalink)
    BLUE BELL...the BEST..from Texas...have it shipped to Illinois.
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/27 22:00:59 (permalink)
    Braum's- the very best in five (5) states- OK, TX, AR, MO, and KS.
    And their milk is even better!
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/28 10:05:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mland520

Braum's- the very best in five (5) states- OK, TX, AR, MO, and KS.
    And their milk is even better!

Amen!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6903
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/28 14:04:43 (permalink)
    I like Blue Bunny super premium......consumed in LeMars, Iowa where it is made. It is fantastic.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/28 14:12:11 (permalink)

Again, obviously not true. Blue Bunny manufactures 10 NSA Reduced Fat. In a 12 door frozen food set, they have 2 varieties. in a 15+ door set, they have 6. NSA Fat Free, they make 3. In the same size sets, 1 variety in the smaller doors, 2 or 3 in the larger doors.
    Edy's NSA slow churned light- 11 flav's. 12 door set, 4 of them. 15+, 8 of them.
    So why produce all these flavors when the stores aren't allocating the space for them?
    Exactly why Breyers, Edy's, Mayfield, Pet, Laura Lynn, Ingles Best are all going through the shrinking size phase yet at the same retail. Glad some companies head's above water at least. Sure they'll manufacture 5 still, and the new light flavors. And i'm sure the $$ demand on allocated space will continue, and sales will speak for themselves. Thus, your conclusion you've whined and griped about and have seen, will still always go to manufacturer and not Wally World or other grocery stores, where it should be directed at. Think about it, if that happened more (Publix is a great example) then you'd see a full shelve and more items produced. Some just don't throw money out for production when rotation, merchandising and space allocation just won't allow it.

And some discontinue NSA cookies & Cream and make inedible banana split instead.
    But hey, keep up the Blue Bell can do no wrong rap - it's amusing, and I wonder if you get free ice cream for your efforts?.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6285
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/03/28 14:14:05 (permalink)
    Blue Bunny.
    toto11
    Junior Burger
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/04/01 22:07:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by myterry2

BLUE BELL...the BEST..from Texas...have it shipped to Illinois.

+1
    toto11
    Junior Burger
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/04/01 22:10:50 (permalink)
    quote:

And some discontinue NSA cookies & Cream and make inedible banana split instead.
    But hey, keep up the Blue Bell can do no wrong rap - it's amusing, and I wonder if you get free ice cream for your efforts?.

Sure. If i'd like. What do you get for your ranting and raving on these forums?
    'Can't do no wrong'..that's amusing. No wonder how they've stayed private, consumers like you would doom them. LOL>
    mross42345
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/04/07 21:19:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JamesA11

quote:
    Originally posted by TNT17

I just came home from the 2nd shift and found this topic interesting, mayvbe i can shed a bit of light for you. Won't say which local grocery store here in Arkansas, but we are nationwide. OUr modular dropped today, which shows what company/vendor/supplier etc. space gets in the upcoming reset. Edy's and Breyer's have always had that space maxed out in past years but Blue bell finally outgained them. Course it's based on sales, all it is, pure dollars. That helps them with their size and pricer per ounce since Edy's and Breyer's went from 56? oz to 48 oz as of this week or next. price increase and smaller cartons don't win usually. Blue bell's still full half gallon. But that no sugar added drives me crazy at times. So many requests from customers and always never enough space. Then our frozen food manager will get that certain item, put in on the shelf when he sees the delivery drivers, and low and behold, it's there for weeks sometimes. Trying to cater to certain people just does not work. Just as the same with south beach diet f.f items and all the atkins diet plans last few years, it's phased out and we have to slot items that will sell, based on what the suppliers pay for their certain alotted space. Luckily endcaps are another option. We had Edy's slow churned and light in the display for a month and were able to sell more items to the ones that demanded it. But then after 4 weeks gave it to Blue Bell and they put just regular ice cream in and it was already +27% after the first week. 95% of the people i talk or see come for the simple fact of real ice cream, thus this is what you will continue to see at most grocery stores. The rest, well i guess the organic grocery type stores win their business.

Only one chain uses the term "moduler". With the new sets, we can now stock every flavor we make.
    mross42345
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/04/07 21:25:44 (permalink)
    quote:

We had cookies n cream nsa for a couple of years, it just flat out didn't sell so they quit making it. The entire dietary line (yogurt, light, and nsa) make up less than 20% of our sales. We are not going to make a flavor that we can't keep fresh on the shelves.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/04/08 10:00:48 (permalink)

We had cookies n cream nsa for a couple of years, it just flat out didn't sell so they quit making it. The entire dietary line (yogurt, light, and nsa) make up less than 20% of our sales. We are not going to make a flavor that we can't keep fresh on the shelves.
    [/quot

I appreciate the calm, rational response, mross. Thanks.
    toto11
    Junior Burger
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/04/08 17:57:10 (permalink)
    Duh. What sells is what one will MANUFACTURE.
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/04/08 18:01:25 (permalink)
    Living in southern Ohio we are blessed with three great places for Ice Cream.
    Youngs Dairy in Yellow Springs Ohio
    Graeters with several Locations.
    and Ritters Frozen Custard

...Russ
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/04/12 12:24:42 (permalink)
    mross-

I picked up a container of your Blue Bell Butter Pecan NSA last night to try.
    It had an ice crystals in it and the consistancy of ice milk, the pecans were soggy and worst of all had it the same unpleasant chemical aftertaste that your NSA banana split has.
    Big_Ted
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/04/15 16:09:28 (permalink)
    I finally got a chance to try Oberwiess ice cream this week. While I enjoyed the chocolate and vanilla, I found a bit of a waxy residue. Also, the peach was way too sweet. Peach doesn't need to be sweet, it detracts from the chunks of peaches in the mix.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5081
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/04/15 16:26:55 (permalink)
    If you can't find any of the above brands, just make your own. It's so easy, "even a caveman could do it". Krups makes the best ($39.99) automatic ice cream maker. It turns out much creamier ice cream than the Cuisinart. And, you can make your favorite flavors without sugar using, Splenda.

I do it all the time and my friends go crazy over my ice cream.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13510
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/04/25 18:50:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Living in southern Ohio we are blessed with three great places for Ice Cream.
    Youngs Dairy in Yellow Springs Ohio
    Graeters with several Locations.
    and Ritters Frozen Custard

...Russ

Young,s Jersey high fat ice cream is very good. I have been there many times.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    PapaDog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: SUPER PREMIUM ICE CREAMS 2008/04/28 14:40:47 (permalink)
    The best Ice-Cream around is my wifes home made! Yeah Buddy! It don't get any better than that!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1