Sacramento to Miami

Author
jcastner
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2003/09/18 23:42:28 (permalink)

Sacramento to Miami

Will be driving from Sacramento Ca to Miami in a couple of weeks. Needles, Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, Memphis and Tallahassee are all planned overnight stops. Any suggestions for meals enroute?

7 Replies Related Threads

Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Sacramento to Miami 2003/09/19 01:18:19 (permalink)
    If I were making that drive, and didn't know where to start, the first thing I would do would be to buy a copy of Roadfood. That said, I would stop the first night not in Needles, but in Laughlin. I would have dinner in the Boiler Room at the Colorado Belle, and order the grilled salmon.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Sacramento to Miami 2003/09/19 05:31:10 (permalink)
    Pete's right on the Needles stop...Laughlin offers much more in the way of creature comforts without the 'creatures' common in Needles.
    If sticking to the freeway is important Kingman AZ is only about 50 more miles east of Needles. It offers better accomdations than Needles, but lacks Laughlin's food choices.
    If you've not done it before, include the BIG TEXAN STEAKHOUSE in Amarillo TX as a food stop. It is right on I-40 on the east side of town. You will see Billboards for it starting a hundred or more miles west of the place.
    We like to stop at VAN'S PIG STAND in Shawnee OK..east of OK City for lunch or dinner when on I-40. Good Pork BBQ.
    Others have more current info on AR and TN. Good Luck and please report back to us!!
    St. Louis Browns fan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Sacramento to Miami 2003/09/21 17:47:11 (permalink)
    Arrive hungry in Albuquerque and go to the Sanitary Tortilla Factory downtown. Stay at the El Vado for a real nostalgia trip. Mac's is a good local Tex-Mex fast-food joint. If you want a good pizza (I'd stick with New Mexican and Mexican food), Dion's is a local place that makes a good thin crust pie.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Sacramento to Miami 2003/09/21 19:33:57 (permalink)
    jcastner, assuming you all will be coming through Arkansas on I-40, Fort Smith to Little Rock to Memphis, I'd recommend you consider the following restaurants along that route (although realize any would be just a meal stop since your overnight stops are OKC and Memphis): Rivertowne Barbecue (Ozark), Old South and Whattaburger ( 2 separate restaurants - Russellville), La Hacienda Mexican Restaurant (and a catfish restaurant, name of which I can't remember - Conway), Roy Fisher's Steak House (North Little Rock), Cotham's (Scott - east of North Little Rock & 9 mi. detour to south), Craig's Barbecue (DeVall's Bluff), Sawmill Restaurant (Forrest City), Margurita's Mexican Restaurant (West Memphis). If you will do a Roadfood search of these restaurant names you'll find previous more detailed reports I've posted re all of them (as well as posts from other Roadfooders re several of them). Then with your being in Memphis overnight, you might want to do a search of the word "Memphis" or go to the topic of Barbecue and research the subject of Memphis Barbecue. Quite a bit of information there. Not sure of the route you'll be taking from Memphis to Tallahassee. Realize you might be going on through Tennessee to Nashville and down, but just guessing you'd more likely be going US 78 to Birmingham, AL, or I-55 to Jackson, MS. If you take US 78 to Birmingham, I'd recommend a stop in Holly Springs, MS, for hamburgers at Phillips Grocery there and when get to Birmingham, a little detour to the west out to Bessemer, AL (Birmingham suburb) for a meal at The Bright Star Restaurant there. Both Phillips Grocery and The Bright Star are covered more fully in other posts you can get through Roadfood search. If you go I-55 from Memphis to Jackson, MS, there have been several recent topics re Jackson restaurants which you can find. Little different subject from food, but you might want to stop at the State Welcome Station at Fort Smith to see if they now recommend traveling I-40 all the way or recommend at certain sections between there and Conway detouring down to US 64 to avoid highway construction tieups. Think most of the I-40 work is completed between Fort Smith and Conway as is most of it between Little Rock and Memphis. Know you will hit some bad construction tie-ups between Conway and Little Rock, but if you are not familiar with the area, I hesitate to try to recommend alternative routes for that 30 miles. If you are going either US 78 or I-55 from Memphis, you probably plan in West Memphis to take I-55 at the I-40/I-55 split and cross the Mississippi River on the I-55 bridge. However, due to the terrible road construction mess from that split to the bridge, you might do better going on in on I-40 and crossing the I-40 bridge; then going down either Riverside Drive or I-240 to get to either I-55 or US 78. Have a good and enjoyable trip, hope you have time to stop for plenty good roadfood eats, and that you all will let us hear of this adventure.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Sacramento to Miami 2003/09/22 13:03:22 (permalink)
    For further suggestions for Albuquerque, check out the thread entitled "Albuquerque and environs," currently on page six of this forum.
    jcastner
    Junior Burger
    RE: Sacramento to Miami 2003/10/03 18:19:11 (permalink)
    Thanks to those of you that responded. I am leaving Sunday morning and plan on stopping at many of your suggestions. Will let you know how the trip was when I get back!
    Dalderis
    Junior Burger
    RE: Sacramento to Miami 2003/10/10 15:16:38 (permalink)
    We drive from San Jose to Tampa each Fall to visit relatives and friends. But we use I-10 because it is faster (I think) and the weather is better. We look for good meal stops in Tucson, Las Cruses, San Antonio, Houston, Bay St. Louis, Tallahasse and on down into Tamps.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1