Sad day... Pauls in Milford, CT closes

Author
catarnett
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2008/09/18 21:08:45 (permalink)

Sad day... Pauls in Milford, CT closes

CT Post, Sept 18, 2008:

MILFORD - Paul's Famous Hamburgers, a fixture on the Boston Post Road here for 62 years, has closed.

The restuarant with its signature cheeseburgers, hot dogs, fries and onion rings is always closed Monday but did not reopen Tuesday and will not reopen, officials said Wednesday. Attempts to reach owner Edward Moore at the restaurant and at home were unsuccessful, but city and business officials confirmed the closing.

The Moores had opposed a plan by the city to sell nearly five acres of land behind the John Downs House on North Street to Milford Hospital, that would allow the hospital to enlarge one of two planned additions to its medical campus next to their restaurant.

Mayor James L. Richetelli Jr. said that the closing apparently had nothing to do with that issue. "My understanding is that they lost their lease.'' The property at 801 Boston Post Road is owned by Carl Villani, according to city land records. Villani also owns a glass repair shop and two houses near the corner of North Street and the Boston Post Road.

"Obviously it is very upsetting to see Paul's close,'' the mayor said. "It has been a part of Milford's past and like Harrison's (Hardware), we are going to miss it.''

City Historian Richard N. Platt and Robert Gregory, Milford's economic development director, said they've also lost a part of their personal past with Paul's closing: the hamburger stand was a hangout during their time as students at nearby Milford High
School.

Platt said the building is on the local historic inventory but has no protections. Built in 1946, the hamburger stand is too recent to be covered by the city's demolition delay ordinance, which gives the city historian an opportunity to intervene.

Gregory said that he and his wife Elinor have continued to eat at Paul's through the years. "Elinor compares it to Arnold's on 'Happy Days'. It was that kind of place,'' the city official said. Former Mayor Clifton Moore, who served in the early 1970s, was a partner in the business when it opened. The current owner is Clifton Moore's son, Gregory said.

"When we have our Milford High School reunions, people would go back to Paul's,'' he said. "It's another piece of my life gone. The Capitol Theater is gone, Central Grammar School is a parking lot.

"I'm working in my old high school,'' Gregory noted. The building was converted to the Thomas Parsons Government Center in the 1980s. "They are not going to tear that down on me.''

This is such a shame! I am so sad to see Paul's close :(

1 Reply Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18890
    RE: Sad day... Pauls in Milford, CT closes 2008/09/18 21:48:37 (permalink)
    Interesting. In 1946 I was hanging out at McCann's in Wildemere Beach, Penucchi's in Walnut Beach, the Anchor at the Anchor Beach in Woodmont, Tom's Villa Rosa in Woodmont and Sloppy Joe's at Bagel Beach in Woodmont. Never heard of Pauls.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1