Salad pizza

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Salad pizza 2008/03/28 15:00:02 (permalink)
Excerpt from Pizza:From Its Italian Origins to the Modern Table
by Rosario Buonassisi

"When trying to define pizza, one sets out on a sea of troubles. And though these apparently idle musings on the exact definition of pizza may seem insignificant compared with deeper questions about existence, to food-loving persons such as myself they are of crucial importance. The history of food is an integral part of the history of humanity. So let's give pizza its due. Let us look for its humble beginnings and trace its long life to the present, where it has almost become its own food group. But that is rushing ahead. We shall begin humbly. And what's more humble than a rather acrid and technical definition? It will help us discuss both the Neapolitan pizza—pizza par excellence—and its lesser but still delicious cousins scattered all over the world. My definition runs as follows:

Pizza: a thin layer of leavened dough, ideally disk-shaped, made by thoroughly kneading wheat flour, yeast, salt, olive oil, and water and then covering with various ingredients before being baked in an oven. The different ingredients employed determine the taste and smell—and the name—of the various kinds of pizza.
divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: Salad pizza 2008/03/28 15:14:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Dive, there may be things you should not put on rice, but not that I've seen.

Joe

No ketchup on rice.
divefl
RE: Salad pizza 2008/03/28 15:24:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

by Rosario Buonassisi

"When trying to define pizza, one sets out on a sea of troubles. And though these apparently idle musings on the exact definition of pizza may seem insignificant compared with deeper questions about existence, to food-loving persons such as myself they are of crucial importance. The history of food is an integral part of the history of humanity. So let's give pizza its due. Let us look for its humble beginnings and trace its long life to the present, where it has almost become its own food group. But that is rushing ahead. We shall begin humbly. And what's more humble than a rather acrid and technical definition? It will help us discuss both the Neapolitan pizza—pizza par excellence—and its lesser but still delicious cousins scattered all over the world. My definition runs as follows:

Pizza: a thin layer of leavened dough, ideally disk-shaped, made by thoroughly kneading wheat flour, yeast, salt, olive oil, and water and then covering with various ingredients before being baked in an oven. The different ingredients employed determine the taste and smell—and the name—of the various kinds of pizza.

Well darn. All these years of adding red pepper flakes and garlic powder after they bring the pizza to me and I had no idea I was making it NOT A PIZZA. I don't know what I was eating but it was delicious.
porkbeaks
RE: Salad pizza 2008/03/28 15:34:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by divefl

quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

by Rosario Buonassisi

Well darn. All these years of adding red pepper flakes and garlic powder after they bring the pizza to me and I had no idea I was making it NOT A PIZZA. I don't know what I was eating but it was delicious.

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6311
RE: Salad pizza 2008/03/28 15:37:36 (permalink)
I agree with your definition. Sounds like the real thing to me!
divefl
RE: Salad pizza 2008/03/28 15:40:17 (permalink)
porkbeaks, your smileys are clearly superior to mine. We shall meet again!
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Salad pizza 2008/03/28 17:01:53 (permalink)
Like I said, we need a thread for the definition. What we say will be the final word! In my book anyway.......

Lee, that does not explain those "french bread" pizza that Stouffers makes.

Porker and Dive, we also need a thread on how to decipher strings of smileys! More than one = a string. TPRI = the possibilities are endless. R = are. :~)
Joe
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: Salad pizza 2008/03/28 17:57:07 (permalink)
I've never tried salad on a pizza. However, in my mind's eye, I can easily see a "white" pizza (no tomatoes, just oil, garlic, some herbs and grated cheese) served right out of the oven with a cool salad on top. You could even make the salad into a kind of antipasto salad with various cured meats, ripe tomatoes, roasted peppers, sliced onion, olives, etc., etc. Even some hard boiled eggs would work on this. Drizzle with good oil and vinegar. Sounds good, no?
porkbeaks
RE: Salad pizza 2008/03/28 18:44:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

I've never tried salad on a pizza. However, in my mind's eye, I can easily see a "white" pizza (no tomatoes, just oil, garlic, some herbs and grated cheese) served right out of the oven with a cool salad on top. You could even make the salad into a kind of antipasto salad with various cured meats, ripe tomatoes, roasted peppers, sliced onion, olives, etc., etc. Even some hard boiled eggs would work on this. Drizzle with good oil and vinegar. Sounds good, no?

Sounds like something I'd try. I think it would be called a White Pizza with a Salad On Top. pb
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Salad pizza 2008/04/02 04:12:40 (permalink)
The author who pointed out that all ingredients need to be cooked on a pizza has missed a few (not so outrageous) combinations I ate in Italy...granted, not certified as authentic Neapolitan, but still.
I enjoyed pizzas with fresh arugula and in one case, some kind of watercress (?) like green which was piled fresh on the pizza, with perhaps another ingredient, like prosciutto, with a drizzle of good olive oil. Delicious, and yes, you did have to eat it with a knife and fork, but then most Italians eat the serving size round pizzas with a fork and knife anyway.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Salad pizza 2008/04/02 13:54:03 (permalink)
Porker, Ciao's idea sounds great to me also!

Tac, thanks for the info about Itily and pizza!
Joe
divefl
RE: Salad pizza 2008/04/02 14:00:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tacchino

The author who pointed out that all ingredients need to be cooked on a pizza has missed a few (not so outrageous) combinations I ate in Italy...granted, not certified as authentic Neapolitan, but still.
I enjoyed pizzas with fresh arugula and in one case, some kind of watercress (?) like green which was piled fresh on the pizza, with perhaps another ingredient, like prosciutto, with a drizzle of good olive oil. Delicious, and yes, you did have to eat it with a knife and fork, but then most Italians eat the serving size round pizzas with a fork and knife anyway.

Who are we to argue with Italy? Oh right. I forgot.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6311
RE: Salad pizza 2008/04/04 18:52:37 (permalink)
Maybe the thicker Pizza Rustica would work with na great fresh salad and some balsamic viniger drizzled on it...or a spinach salad with some bacon bits in oil!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Salad pizza 2008/04/04 19:11:28 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Salad Pizza? Well, if you insist... but I think Chop Suey Pizza is a far better idea... after all, Marco Polo can be held responsible if it goes awry, can't he?
Exploringly, Ort. Carlton in Trunderrumbly Athens, Georgia.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1