Sally's Apizza Question

Author
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
2006/07/28 11:49:32 (permalink)

Sally's Apizza Question

I’m coming back from Hartford to Fairfield County on Saturday and wanted to stop in New Haven to give Sally's a try (or Modern, if Sally's line is too long). Anybody know what times are best to arrive or when to call for a possible reservation? I know the lines at Sally's can be torturous, especially with the preferential treatment that is given to the regulars.

6 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10106
    RE: Sally's Apizza Question 2006/07/28 13:09:30 (permalink)
    I have only been to Sally's once, so I'm sure there are others out there who can give you much better advice. But, I had heard that it is better to go late than early. So I got there at 9:15 on a Saturday night and got a table right away. Who knows, maybe I just got lucky. Good luck!
    KarenZ
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Sally's Apizza Question 2006/07/28 18:42:47 (permalink)
    Careful! I just saw an ad from Modern that they're closed in late July. I think Pepe's takes their break later in summer. And, well I still have never been to Sally's.

~ K
    KarenZ
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Sally's Apizza Question 2006/07/28 18:43:54 (permalink)
    Psst...I've always gone around 3...right between dinner and lunch. Again, that's Pepe's.
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Sally's Apizza Question 2006/07/28 20:38:02 (permalink)
    Jack, if Sally's line is too long, why not skip the New Haven thing altogether and stop at Pepe's in Fairfield? Or have you already been?
    JBarry713
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: Sally's Apizza Question 2006/07/29 02:02:30 (permalink)
    If Sally's line is too long or Modern is closed (if anyone could confirm this , it would be real helpful) than the Pepe's in Fairfield it will be, I've been to the New Haven location many times and eventually need to try out the other location.
    FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Sally's Apizza Question 2006/08/04 18:35:08 (permalink)
    ah, something to which i can speak in great detail- i have spent my life plotting an easy in and easy out to sally's. i recommend the following- EITHER:

get to Sally's at 4 o'clock- no later- you will be the first person on the line, wait one hour and 10 minutes till sally's open's officially (at 5:10 i do believe)- even if there are a bunch of reservations, you were first on line, so you will definately sit in the first seating. come any later than 4 and some other smart group will be standing in front of the door and you will wait for HOURS...

OR

show up to sally's at 9 or 9:15 p.m.- you should have a very short wait if any and should get your pies pretty quickly. anytime in between 4 and 9 and you should reasonably expect a 2 hour wait before you see a pizza- and it's been more than that...

the only other option is to go into sally's the evening before and make a reservation- they do accept reservations and that will get you in ahead of any line- but you'll still wait a while for your pies, but let me stress that in my opinion ANY amount of wait for sally's is worth it- handmade artisanal pies made by the Sal Consiglio's family with love and care and expertise.

and if i may recommend some things to try at sal's - tuna fish pie ( i like a red pie with tuna, mozz, and anchovie...), bacon and onion white pie, any garden pie she will make for you, the pepperoni and sausage are both excellent, and the potato pie is also quite interesting. and if i may also recommend, the best way to experience sally's is to order a bunch of small pie's- they come to the table faster, they are usually burnt a bit more, and you get to try many different pies. enjoy and please report back on your experience- there has been some naysaying about sally's lately and i still believe it is the greatest pie in the world (though my many pies at fairfield pepe's as of late have ALL been excellent- the chicken pie at pepe's fairfield really took my by surprise- wonderfull). enjoy frank booth
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1