Salsa

Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2004/12/20 15:53:44 (permalink)

Salsa

There's a brand of salsa that's made here in Knoxville that is utterly fantastic called Summertime. Found in most area groceries, not sure how widespread the distribution might be. It's really good.
There are other commerecially made salsas that are good as well. This might be a place to mention any that you like, as well as any restaurants that serve a good salsa, or perhaps someone will want to contribute a recipe or two.

7 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    RE: Salsa 2004/12/21 19:41:32 (permalink)
    Will someone explain the difference bteween salsa and picante sauce?
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Salsa 2004/12/21 21:54:08 (permalink)
    To my knowledge all salsa means is sauce in spanish. Picante means spicy-hot. Salsa like many other food terms (eg. brushcetta) has come to mean chunky tomato sauce served with chips etc.

One of my favourites is this;

Mango Salsa

1 semi ripe mango, diced
    1/2 red onion diced
    1 tomato skinned, seeds removed, diced
    1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce mushed up
    1 tbsp lime juice
    1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
    1 tbsp olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

Let stand for at least an hour mixing all the while.

Best served with grilled fish or coconut breaded shrimp.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Salsa 2004/12/21 22:46:46 (permalink)
    IMHO, which is the HO of someone who grew up 65 miles north of the border in SoCal, salsa is a brilliantly fresh, unadulterated chunky mixture of tomatoes, onion, chiles and cilantro, dressed with some fresh lime juice. We never called it salsa per se, although I've seen it referred as such. We call it Pico de Gallo. The heavily vinegared slop enjoyed by so many Americans such as Pace, Cholula, La Victoria etc is avoided like the plague. Vinegar is a preservative and a flavor thief, hence I assume the folks who make the aforementioned have something to hide in their recipe.

I do keep one brand of bottled sauce on hand as a quick enhancer for tamales, huevos or the odd beef tongue taco I bring home from the joint down the street. It is Pico Pica chile sauce, very rich and red with the goodness of the dried chile it is made from.
    It sports NO vinegar to rob the melange of chile and spices.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Salsa 2005/02/20 23:55:28 (permalink)
    Maybe the question should be asked another way. Who likes Taco Bell salsa sauce?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Salsa 2005/02/21 06:53:00 (permalink)
    Picante sauce is USUALLY served heated and as a "Sauce" along with something else underneath it---salsa is stand alone and usually served with something to dip into it.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Salsa 2005/02/21 09:27:23 (permalink)
    We make our own salsa which varies depending on what's fresh. The only bottled one I have tried and liked is called Mrs. Renfro's, not sure where it's made or if it's just a Chicago area brand.
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Salsa 2005/02/21 10:43:41 (permalink)
    My experience with Salsa is that it means something different everywhere you go. . . to some degree.
    The chunky stuff that the Capt. refers to is indeed authentic CalMex stuff. It's the way they do it over there both north and south of the border. Even the Mexicanos.
    If you go down to Mex. City and even further south, you'll get a pureed sauce with no chunks. Over on the Yucatan, it's chunky, but nothing distinguisable. . . like they pulse it in the blender.
    In Tejano faire, they seem to by cook the salsa for a relatively long time amiing it kind of a runny chunky thing.
    Salsa is like barbeque, they do it different ways in different place. One is no more authentic than the other.
    I love to cook Mexican food, but have had to admit my short comings as a salsa creator. While I still make my own sometimes, I know that a lot of the bottled stuff is better. . . although, my pico de gallo is the best.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1