Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 37 of 37
MollyO

• Total Posts: 2
RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin Tue, 07/13/04 7:27 PM (permalink)
As a Texan and great Salt Lick fan (esp during Wildflower season here in March and April) you ought to know that it's "dry out there", so bring your own wine or beer (a great way to save on the cost of dinner) and they don't take credit cards...

Chef Susan

• Total Posts: 84
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin Tue, 07/13/04 9:25 PM (permalink)
    The Salt Lick is worth a trip from Austin, as is Cooper's in Llano, Texas. My husband and I went on a tour of central Texax Barbecue places...ate at Kruez's, Central Market, Black's (all in Lockhart) then to Sam's (had the mutton and washed it down with a Big Red...was explained to us that it works like a degreaser), ate at the Iron Works, Salt Lick...and then drove to Cooper's. It was our favorite place to eat...and we would try everything we could including pork chops, links, brisket, chicken, turkey, along with the wonderfully simple beans, cole slaw and cobbler. We also discovered while at Cooper's that you can use the sliced white bread as a napkin on your hands..then eat it!

Grillmeister

• Total Posts: 204
      RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin Sun, 07/25/04 11:58 AM (permalink)
      While attending a seminar at U.T., I recently got the opportunity to compare some of the places mentioned here. As for the Salt Lick, I have to go with Gator hands down. I am a North Texan and know the nuances of BBQ in my region. The Salt Lick was good, BUT....different. It seemed the atmosphere was the big draw since I saw busses bringing in tourists, some of which were drinking wine from stemmed glasses with their 'que! From the article link one can see that the subtle connection to eastern 'que is there. The sides, again, were good but different. The coleslaw was especially interesting since it was based on vinegar, and not the traditional Texan mayo. I also overheard an older fellow (while watching the obligitory Austin bat flights) say that the Salt Lick "buys" their sausage. I have no proof of this and would like to hear from someone who might know for sure. It did seem much different compared to the places in Lockhart.

I have to salute the Lockhart establishments as far as capturing what I consider the essence of Texas 'que. We hit Black's, packed up a bunch of Kreuz's, and payed homage to Smitty's. The sides at Blacks seemed much more in line with my experience than did the Salt Lick.

All in all, it was an interesting week, and excuse me while I find some cholesterol medication!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
        RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin Fri, 07/30/04 6:00 PM (permalink)
        Salt Lick does not make their own sausage, as far as I know. (They also don't raise their own cattle, pigs, cabbage, beans, jalapenos, etc.)

Salt Lick is not one of the best places around, but it's a REALLY good place to eat. Their sauce is one of the most incredible, yummy sauces in America. (At the joint; the bottled version is not NEAR as good as what you get there.)

I get really tired of all the people who "dis" this place, particularly because almost 100% of those people are totally ignorant of what Salt Lick was 20+ years ago. Yes, it's not the place it used to be. However, it's still d*mn good, and it's still a place worth the visit.

Grillmeister

• Total Posts: 204
          RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin Sat, 07/31/04 10:27 AM (permalink)
          Bushie,
          If that was for me, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. There is nothing wrong with the Salt Lick...it's just of a slightly different genre than other places in our state. "Good but different". We all have our preferences, some of which span the specturm of 'que from the Carolinas to Texas, but Lockhart does it better. And yes, if the Lockhart places take the time to offer a more regional type of smoked sausage, more power to them!!!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
            RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin Sat, 07/31/04 11:05 AM (permalink)
            No problem, Grillmeister.

It wasn't really directed at you, but I suppose you did accidentally step in the line of fire. I totally agree with the "to each his own" concept. Like I indicated, though, I think Salt Lick gets a bad rap.

But, there are other windmills to chase, and I'm moving on...

synman

• Total Posts: 10
              RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin Mon, 08/2/04 9:17 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by MollyO

As a Texan and great Salt Lick fan (esp during Wildflower season here in March and April) you ought to know that it's "dry out there", so bring your own wine or beer (a great way to save on the cost of dinner) and they don't take credit cards...

Former Texan here, and while I really liked the brisket my one visit to Salt Lick (the south Austin upscale branch, not the original), I could not get past the sauce. While I am most definitely a condiment fan, their sauce is so distant from a Texas-style sauce...to my taste buds it was just wrong.

That being said, the south Austin branch has plenty of good-looking non-Q items, and the
              brisket queso dip thing was to die for.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 37 of 37

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com