Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
2003/12/09 11:43:52 (permalink)

Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin

I am in Bushie country and last night I had a contractor take me out to dinner at the Salt Lick BBQ 24 miles out of Austin. This is a beef BBQ specialty place and although pork is my favorite, this was as good as any BBQ I have ever had. The place is huge and I had ribs, brisket and sausage with some cole slaw. The ribs were huge, tasty, tender and unfortunately I had the sauce which was sweet and does not go along with my Atkins thing. I had it anyway and will work it out another way. The brisket was wonderful, tasty and tender which just the right amount of smoke. Nice and pink. The sausage was wonderful and the cole slaw was a little bland but no sugar which works for me.

This was as good of BBQ that I have ever had in my life.

I am meeting Bushie for lunch today and I cannot wait to see where we go. I would not mind if we went back to the Salt Lick. It was wonderful.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

36 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 12:13:30 (permalink)
    Sundancer, have a nice lunch with Bushie and send us some pictures of the BBQ!!!!!!!
    flattop5
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 12:32:40 (permalink)
    If you return to Salt Lick (and I wouldn't fault you for doing so), get the smoked turkey!!!
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 13:22:38 (permalink)
    Told ya Texas has some darned good 'que.
    Gator
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 14:08:32 (permalink)
    Some people rave about the Salt Lick, but IMHO, if you are looking for barbecue in the Austin area, you can do a lot better with less money and a shorter drive at any number of places, many of which have been reviewed by the Sterns on this site. I suspect a lot of folks like what they perceive to be the character of the place, sort of a barbecue version of a Cracker Barrel or similar (the all you can eat option is very popular), and, frankly, I think it blinds them to the fact that the barbecue is mediocre. I also think it's overrated because it serves dinner, while a lot of the great Texas smokehouses close by early evening, which means more people, while more intoxicated, are familiar with SL. I've enjoyed eating the ribs there, but they seem sort of grilled, rather than smoked, which is the preparation I associate with Texas barbecue. Just really not too complex, tastewise. Nothing much sticks out in my mind about the brisket or sausage. In short, if that's where people are going for barbecue hereabouts, then it's no wonder people can post, uncontested, on this board absurd claims like NC has the best barbecue, etc.

Well, that's my two cents' worth. Enjoy your visit. You are probably in good hands with Bushie.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 14:18:56 (permalink)
    Uncontested.......absurd claims......"probably" in good hands with Bushie???? Woah, you'd better watch it there Gator. Thems is some fightin words here where everybody's chili is good, every style of BBQ is good, all the lobster rolls and fried clams are good. AND.....BUSHIE, SUNDANCER AND MR. MAYOR are the Holy Trinity of this forum!!!!!!!!!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4633
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 14:29:33 (permalink)
    OK gator, we're hooked. Where is the best BBQ.....
    Gator
    Junior Burger
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 14:29:52 (permalink)
    lleechef, if you'll reread my post you'll see I'm calling "absurd" a recent thread claiming North Carolina has the best barbecue in the country, not calling sundancer's opinions absurd. As for Sundancer, he just hasn't been to Kreuz's, City Market, Opie's, Smitty's, Ruby's, Rudy's, Lous Mueller's, or any of the other places around here that, to me, make barbecue that is more interesting than the Salt Lick. Hopefully, he'll get the chance to do so on this trip.
    Gator
    Junior Burger
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 14:42:04 (permalink)
    I forgot to add John Mueller's, Sam's and Charles'. And Ben's Long Branch.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4633
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 14:46:37 (permalink)
    Can we take that to mean Texas has the best Q....

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 14:50:10 (permalink)
    For brisket, ribs and sausage - yes!

The eastern states have their pig and vinegar thing going on.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 15:08:10 (permalink)
    Hold on, hold on, I gotta cast my vote for best ribs: Dreamland, Birmingham, Alabama. Not necessarily the BEST Q, but best ribs I ever ate.
    Lone Star
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 15:10:26 (permalink)
    Oh lleechef - you know we just can't help ourselves!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 15:14:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Oh lleechef - you know we just can't help ourselves!

I keep forgettin.......that little bitty 'ol state down there.
    Lone Star
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 15:47:26 (permalink)
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 15:51:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I am in Bushie country and last night I had a contractor take me out to dinner at the Salt Lick BBQ 24 miles out of Austin. This is a beef BBQ specialty place and although pork is my favorite, this was as good as any BBQ I have ever had. The place is huge and I had ribs, brisket and sausage with some cole slaw. The ribs were huge, tasty, tender and unfortunately I had the sauce which was sweet and does not go along with my Atkins thing. I had it anyway and will work it out another way. The brisket was wonderful, tasty and tender which just the right amount of smoke. Nice and pink. The sausage was wonderful and the cole slaw was a little bland but no sugar which works for me.

This was as good of BBQ that I have ever had in my life.

I am meeting Bushie for lunch today and I cannot wait to see where we go. I would not mind if we went back to the Salt Lick. It was wonderful.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul, my pharmacist and friend told me about Salt Lick last year. His daughter is now in Austin, and he and his spouse visit Salt Lick on their trips to see her.

For the unitiated, Salt Lick is in Dripping, Texas, about 30 to 45 minutes from Austin, Texas. Greg says it's an all-you-can-eat kind of place that feeds one well for $13.95. Ribs, brisket, etc.

I hope you can squeeze in a visit to Lockhart for Kreuz Market. There are 3 or 4 other Lockhart places that rate high as well--Black's Barbecue, Smitty's Market, etc.

Paul, I have a huge folder of information and pictures on Lockhart barbecue destinations. Yell, and I'll send them your way immediately. Remember, I'm making a special trip to Texas next year, just to take in Lockhart's que.
    Lone Star
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 16:18:53 (permalink)
    Check it out for yourself -

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 16:19:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Hold on, hold on, I gotta cast my vote for best ribs: Dreamland, Birmingham, Alabama. Not necessarily the BEST Q, but best ribs I ever ate.

Without question, Dreamland Bar-B-Q is my favorite destination for barbeque ribs. Did you know they are now franchised and have locations open in 2 or 3 other cities, including Birmingham? I've heard the B'ham location is popular, but that came from a vegetarian friend. At any rate, in a state blessed with wonderful, authentic que, I won't be visiting any franchises.

Next Spring's drive to Texas for Lockhart barbeque will probably go through Tuscaloosa for a visit to the original Dreamland.
    Lone Star
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 16:26:18 (permalink)
    Jim - you have to go to the City Market in Luling if you are coming to Texas - it is by far the best in the State!
    Gator
    Junior Burger
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 16:43:59 (permalink)
    I like the great variety and consistency at Kreuz market, but, yeah, City Market is the real deal.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 18:12:11 (permalink)
    Well, the Sundancer just returned from lunch with Bushie where he took me back to Driftwood, TX for another round of Saltlick BBQ. It was just as good as last night. I got the smoked turkey as was advised by another post on this thread and the turkey was moist, tasty and very good. The ribs are pork and as last night, were delicious. I got the platter today and it only had two ribs. I wish there had been more.

I do not believe they offer all you can eat any more as I did not see it on the menu last night or today.

We had excellent servers last night and today. I must have been asked to refill my drink glass a dozen times and Bushie had the same type of service.

I recoginize that there may be better Q in the Austin area, but what we had was great and the company of the right wing Bushie was terrific.

He took me on an extended tour to Johnson City Texas to the Johnson Ranch. It was huge and I see why LBJ liked this colloquial area. Bushie pointed out where he had often bought chicken fried steak and we stopped by his favorite turkey and beef jerky place. I bought a dried sausage which I left in Bushie's beautiful SUV. Bushie, please keep it as a token of my enjoyment and the great trip we had. Bushie was a great tour director and pointed out all the neat restaurants he had stopped at. He likes to explore as well as myself.

It is great to visit with Roadfooders. This is my 2nd visit with Bushie as he was in Knoxville just a few months ago. I had Al and Janet in Knoxville just a few weeks ago. My list of friends is expanding.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 18:59:12 (permalink)
    I'm jealous! Nobody ever comes to Alaska! Sounds like you guys had a great time.........keep up the good Roadfoodin' and send us some pictures of the aforementioned excursion!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 21:24:31 (permalink)
    My plan had been to take Mr. Sundancer to Salt Lick as a Central Texas initiation. Turns out some SOB took him there the night before!!

I offered other options today, but his natural graciousness wouldn't allow it. We went and had a wonderful meal.

I've read all the posted comments, and all I'll say is that you DON'T HAVE TO EAT AT THE VERY BEST TO HAVE A GOOD TIME. Ahem.

In 20+ years of eating at Salt Lick, I had never tried the turkey. It was moist and tender and wonderful.

Mr. Sundancer, the Whittington's dried sausage you "forgot" was, and is, wonderful. Thanks.

We had a wonderful time today with beautiful Central Texas weather, although it was a might windy.

As stated in earlier posts, Mr. Paul "Sundancer" Smith is a very impressive man, and I'm very honored to call him a friend. I look forward to future visits.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 21:35:51 (permalink)
    Gee Bushie: You bring tears to my eyes. I am honored to know you an the "mayor".

Isn't it great to develope friends????

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 21:41:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Gee Bushie: You bring tears to my eyes.

Sundance, Libation does that!! Same for me!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 21:44:44 (permalink)
    Actually Bushie I have had no libation. I wish I had. I left you and worked until a short while ago.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2003/12/09 21:58:45 (permalink)
    REALLY glad you two got together.........good food... good friends......good family, what else is there?
    cindymuldoon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2004/07/11 13:10:47 (permalink)
    Was at the Salt Lick last week. Still have "All you can Eat" on the menu at $14.95. That price does not include beverages - soda, etc. (it's still a BOYB)or dessert (incredible peach cobbler and pecan pie). So, with tip you're really looking at $25 per person. Absolutely incredible meal. Anyone have suggestions for a similar sauce recipe? I know it's vinegar based with no tomatoes .... Thanks.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2004/07/13 15:20:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cindymuldoon

Was at the Salt Lick last week. Still have "All you can Eat" on the menu at $14.95. That price does not include beverages - soda, etc. (it's still a BOYB)or dessert (incredible peach cobbler and pecan pie). So, with tip you're really looking at $25 per person. Absolutely incredible meal. Anyone have suggestions for a similar sauce recipe? I know it's vinegar based with no tomatoes .... Thanks.

If Bushie is lurking, I am sure he can tell you exactly what the sauce is. He brought me a couple of bottles of Salt Lick Sauce the last time he was in Knoxville. It was very good.

I thought the ribs at Salt lick were very good. I have been there twice. Once with Bushie and once with one of our contractors. The contractor bought a huge combination plate with copious amounts of asssorted BBQ. Far more than what we could consume.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Salt Lick BBQ close to Austin 2004/07/13 16:39:44 (permalink)
    Hey Bushie, just to hijack for a second, do you know if the Copeland Inn ( I think it was called) in Copeland, Tx still has their all you can eat BBQ on Friday and Saturday nights? It's been years since I've been over that way, just curious. They used to bring out platters of BBQ and sides all family style.

The Copeland I'm thinking about is not too far outside Austin, not the Copeland south of Tyler.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1