Salt free diet or almost

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
2011/08/25 16:23:38 (permalink)

Salt free diet or almost

My age is dictating that I alter my dietary habits.  I have noticed some swelling around my ankles which could be indicative of fluid retention.  I have not paid much attention to the issue until now.  I started checking everything in my pantry and there is not much that does not have 200+ mg of sodium.  In addition, I have cut my caloric intake and eliminated alcohol altogether.  I will miss my evening cocktail and beers and Screw old age.

There may be some of you who have this issue and if so, can you share with me what you are using?

Thanks in advance:

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

25 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8401
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/25 16:52:02 (permalink)
    Paul, there are hot sauces that don't have salt.  You just have to read the labels because most do.

Herbs and dry spices help a lot.  Black pepper does wonders.

Stay away from all prepared foods.  Cook fresh ingredients whenever possible.  Get out that grill!  Vegetables on the grill might be the only food that is good for you and also tastes good.  (However my doctor said that they're bad for diabetics)

Now, if you could tell me how to entirely avoid iodine in a tasty way I'd appreciate it.  I only have to do it for 2 weeks and I can enjoy alcohol.  I can't even have things containing Red dye #3 including some of my pills.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8699
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/25 17:24:10 (permalink)
    I am curious, Mar-why would grilled vegetables be bad for diabetics? I am diabetic, and I never heard this...
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/25 18:02:47 (permalink)
    For dinner this evening, I am baking a chicken with some oil and a salt substitute and a salad with some oil and pepper.  Not great but it will have to do.  Not a large portion at that.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/25 18:20:59 (permalink)
    Ann,  it's a new study.  My doctor just told me about it.  It's not advertised for a lack of a better word because it can't be measured.... yet.

It's about the chemical reaction the sugars in all foods make when exposed to heat.  They are acting in different ways than normal sugars and they act on the body differently. 

I only understood  a little of what he was telling me as he tends to speak in doctor language.

He was telling me that all of the food items exposed to heat areas are bad... including the crust of baked goods. 

The insides are good and the outsides are bad.

Of course I'll be ignoring him on this one.  He's also ignoring it for now until more studies are done.

Diabetes is his passion and he travels all over the country lecturing on it.

Now I'm going to try to Google the subject with the limited amount of information I have.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/25 18:28:14 (permalink)
    Most of what I'm finding says to grill vegetables!

Maybe it's something about this:

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=newtip&dbid=38

Back to Paul....  Grilling really tastes good.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6431
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/25 18:30:58 (permalink)
    I don't salt anything and I check labels for the lowest sodium choices. When I make my pizza dough or bread I'll always halve the salt content of recipes. After a while you can actually taste the natural sodium in foods and a little salt goes a long way. You also start to taste the other flavors more distinctly. If anything, I may go heavier on the pepper to compensate.

Pre-packaged prepared foods and restaurant foods have a lot more salt than you know. I weigh and record my weight first thing every morning. After eating either, even if I keep my caloric intake below my burn rate, I will show a weight gain the next morning just from water retainage.

Oh, yeah, I am sipping a beer right now. I just came in from a 3 mile Nordic walk.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8699
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/25 18:58:35 (permalink)
    Being on a low sodium regimen, I use lots of fresh garlic.When baking a chicken, I actually make slits in it and insert peeled garlic cloves.Wonderful, subtle flavor. When doing pork, I add fresh rosemary sprigs prior to cooking.I also use no salt chicken broth when making potatoes-I actually boil potatoes in the broth.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/25 19:15:36 (permalink)
    Paul

I say to heck with what the doctor says, you only live once might as well enjoy while you can.

I just had a 103 yo friend pass away last week, she ate utz's cheese balls every day and had a shot of whiskey each night before her bedtime (at 7:30pm).  She also had limburger cheese and onion sandwich with a dark german beer at least once a week.
    post edited by CajunKing - 2011/08/25 19:17:06
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/25 19:19:59 (permalink)
    Cajun:  I probably have some issues that your 103 year old did not.  Believe me that I would not do this unless I had to.

Actually my baked chicken with a salad with only oil and pepper was not bad.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2119
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/25 19:32:14 (permalink)
    Unless your Doctor put you on a No-Salt diet, just cut the salt in recipes in half as Davidd said.  I stated doing that about 10 years ago.   ... I think if you ask you Doctor, he will tell you it is not the salt used in cooking, but the salt one adds at the table (salt shaker) that is the problem.     ... A body needs salt to live and for most functions.    ... But do watch canned foods and their salt content.  Some of these foods are entirely too high.

If you are retaining water, ask your doctor for a fluid pill and let him check you out.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/25 21:07:56 (permalink)
    I have been on Demadex (torsemide) for several years.  WOW does it ever work.  Take it and 30 minutes later....... and then 30 minutes after that and then...... you get the picture.

Paul
    I know it sucks to cut out some of the things we enjoy.  I have had to really watch things in the past year and a half.  I have become good friends with chicken breast and fish filets over the that time.

Mrs Dash makes some really tasty salt free seasonings blend.  From table to grill to southwest to carribean to italian
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/26 01:20:49 (permalink)
    the easiest way to avoid excess sodium is to cook your own food - from scratch.  this means no canned, frozen, boxed, bottled, packets or 'fresh' cold case items.  exceptions to these are items that have no added salt and/or sodium-based ingredients (which isn't too many things).

if you do use prepared items that are 'low salt' double check sugar content (sugar can be listed in at least a half dozen ways) as they'll up that to make up for the decreased flavor since there's lower salt content.  also look for msg - that's also added instead of salt (and sometimes in addition to).

there ARE prepared items that don't have excessive amounts of sodium or no sodium at all - you just have to read the labels to find them.

i use a lot of herbs and spices instead of salt - even if a recipe calls for salt, i put in half what's called for and, if needed, i add a touch more when i'm eating it - after i've actually tasted it (never just shake salt on anything without tasting first!).   i use salt sense brand - it's real salt unlike the 'substitutes'.  i found the substitutes cause increased heart rate (for me, anyhoo).
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/26 06:38:32 (permalink)
    I hope you will allow yourself the occaisonal treat of Mr. Benton's products.

Have you discussed this with your doctor? He may tell you to cut back rather than totally eliminating.
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 2052
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/26 11:40:00 (permalink)
    I'm on a restricted sodium diet also, along with diuretics....
    Cut out all the canned and prepared foods.. they are the biggest offenders.
    Read the lable on everything. Cook from scratch as much as possible, use salt substiute, mrs dash, etc.
    When you go out, ask the your food not be salted.
    Make sure that your buying chicken and pork that is not "enhanced"....it's injected with salt water.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3653
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/26 12:35:18 (permalink)
    Many brands of canned vegetables now come in "no salt added". They really are. Which means not all canned things are immediately off your list.

When you first start cutting back, everything tastes like crap. You will get used to it, but I found it was easier to wean us off salt rather than just cutting it completely. Also, using sea salt in a grinder at the table rather than a shaker of table salt makes us use far less than normal...sea salt for some reason tastes more like salt, so you use less. It might be psychological, but it works so I just go with that. The other thing we tried was to buy some of those salt packets like you get at restaurants. That way you have a controlled amount rather than a whole shaker to start with, so it tricks your brain into thinking that's all you can have for your whole dinner.

Agreed with everyone else...start exploring other seasoning blends, herbs, etc. that will add flavour instead of salt. Granted, there is no way it will taste like salt, but it'll be a flavour you like so you won't so much notice the absence of salt.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/26 16:21:16 (permalink)
    Davydd
    Oh, yeah, I am sipping a beer right now. I just came in from a 3 mile Nordic walk.

I heard on the radio yesterday that a study was just released that says non-alcoholic beer is the best restorer of what you need after exercise. Better than water and the Gatorades of the world.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1085
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/08/26 16:31:49 (permalink)
    Have you unilaterally self-diagnosed the ankle swelling as fluid retention?  Have you also checked with a doctor?

I suppose it doesn't hurt to cut back on salt, but swollen ankles can indicate lots of serious conditions, including heart failure, kidney failure, etc. 

Whether it is a sudden or a chronic problem, if it hasn't been evaluated, I would encourage you to consult a doctor.  I don't think you wrote that you had done so, but if you did, I apologize for overlooking it.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/09/21 11:17:41 (permalink)
    It has now been 26 days since I began my mostly salt free diet.  I have no more swollen ankles, lost about 10 pounds and with the exception of a few beers, I have mostly eliminated alcohol from my diet.  I also mostly eliminated fat.  I have existed on salads with a couple of tablespoons of dressing, nuts, berries and beer.  I have tended to fall off the wagon on weekends but not bad.  I do not overdose.

Unfortunately I do not see the end of this "temporary" diet.  My regular MD is aware of my swelling problems.  He did not advise anything.  The diet I chose is self imposed.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Laserwolf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/09/21 18:46:40 (permalink)
    Quite a few sodium free options on nutsonline.com including Roasted Sunflower seeds.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3653
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/09/21 19:53:13 (permalink)
    If truly all you're eating is salad, nuts, berries and beer, you're going to end up with far more health issues than swollen ankles. It is still a good idea to talk to your doctor about a diet, especially one that radical. Cutting back on sodium and fat is not necessarily a bad thing, but what you're doing really should be monitored by a doctor.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/09/21 22:44:03 (permalink)
    I really like some of the no-salt seasonings Penzey's offers. I used a new one called Forward on my pepper steak tonight and it came out great.
    Be careful about the fats you eliminate. Have a spoonful of peanut butter or some salmon or tuna every now and then. Your body does need a little fat.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/09/22 16:37:46 (permalink)
    I had a discussion with my MD.  He informed me that the average person consumes about 9 grams of sodium (salt) daily.  He informed me to keep it around 2.5 grams.  That ain't easy.  Very few foods are salt free.  For instance, most canned veggies are packed with salt are so are processed meats.

I bought a salt substitute and it is just OK.  Just to start off I have been trying to keep my salt consumption at around 1 gram which also is not easy.

I have an appointment with my MD in about three weeks and he will give me further advice.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/09/22 17:07:02 (permalink)
    I spent an hour at Whole Foods last night looking for a hot sauce that did not have some sort of salt other than Kosher salt which does not contain iodine.    Doesn't exists.

All dairy products have iodine in them so I was checking out the rice and almond milks so that I could eat cereal which is allowed...  Sea Salt!

You have to read all labels.

Congratulations on your success.  Keep it up.

By the way, when I got home from Whole Foods and spending $100 on fruit, nuts and vegetables I was informed by the doctor's office that I didn't have to have the nuclear scan, be on the iodine free diet, etc!

Keep up the good work, Paul.  It's good for you.

Sodium is not good for you so listen to your doctor and keep it in low quantities.

Clear liquors are good!  My doctor told me that!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/09/22 18:10:24 (permalink)
    Mar52:  I am glad that liquors are OK but unfortunately, I eliminated them also.  Just temporarily though.  Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

My weight has ranged for 189-193 for years.  Recently I jumped up to 204 and I noticed my ankles swelling along with my hands.  That is when the self imposed diet was started.  I am back down to 191 due to dietary habits, much much less salt and not liquor although I still imbibe beer on a regular basis.  Food ain't much but it includes baked chicken, salads with little dressing, fruit, veggies that I prepare myself and of course "beer"  I can't let go of everything.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Salt free diet or almost 2011/09/22 20:41:39 (permalink)
    Paul, that's terrific!

Now I want a beer.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1