Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me?

Author
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
2010/07/31 00:54:37 (permalink)

Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me?

Recently went to a very well known restaurant in DC that is known for the best Pub/Pub-Irish Food in the city. I ordered the French Onion soup. It was great, but the salt was really intense. I thought about sending it back. I had my wife try it, and she said, "no, that's relatively normal."

Today, I had clam chowder in a well known Georgetown restaurant. It's also known for pretty good pub grub, including their clam chowder -same thing. Not as intense as the Irish Pub, but still super salty.

Now, I've only recently been diagnosed with high (elevated) blood pressure. And am on the lowest dosage -  a beta blocker. I haven't been avoiding salt, but have tried to not cook with so much with it at home. But I haven't cut it out, and recently used the salt shaker on some popcorn. So, it's not like I'm on a no salt kick in the least.

I don't even know my question here...is it me and my BP meds? or did I happen to choose the saltiest soups and salt is somewhere in my brain so I'm noticing it more? or has salt become the seasoning of the day?

Any BP medicated folks have some thoughts? (keep in mind, my doctor hasn't specifically said to me to lay off salt, but I have been watching my salt intake on the one hand, but definately have not specifially been following any low salt diet at all).

22 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10204
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/07/31 01:08:29 (permalink)
    My experience has been that when you eat in a restaurant, the food tends to contain more salt than home cooked food. I think most restaurant cooks use more rather than less salt to enhance the flavor of their food.
    Also, I find that if you have consciously cut back on your salt intake for a period of time when you do get something that has been salted above your accustomed intake level, the taste is accentuated. 
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/07/31 03:19:42 (permalink)
    You chose the two most salt laden soups there are. It's a rookie mistake. I am just teasing. There is no way you could have known beef broth can have as much as 900mg of sodium in one cup.

So let's do some simple math, since it's the only kind I can do.

Let's just say that in your bowl, there was 2 cups of beef broth. 1800mg right off the bat.

Now you & I both know there is a thick slice of bread on top of the soup. Bread has salt in it, let's just say 100mg. That estimate is on the low end, but we chose the brand whose sodium count is the highest for the broth, so it will balance itself out. So we are now at 1900mg.

We have not added the melty cheesy blanket yet. Cheese has quite a bit of salt in it, too. It's what makes it taste so darned good! So I'm thinking the 2400mg as the recommended daily allowance is going to be found in that one bowl of French onion soup.

New England Style Clam Chowder is also quite salty. And creamy. And delicious. I was craving some last week, but have not been able to find a canned brand under 480mg per serving. (Half the can, who eats half a can of soup?)

Scorereader 
    Now, I've only recently been diagnosed with high (elevated) blood pressure. And am on the lowest dosage -  a beta blocker. I haven't been avoiding salt, but have tried to not cook with so much with it at home. But I haven't cut it out, and recently used the salt shaker on some popcorn. So, it's not like I'm on a no salt kick in the least.

The sooner you do this the better off you will be. Start using pinches of salt to season things that NEED salt, like popcorn. Remove the shaker from the table. The reason I say this is because restaurant food is so high in sodium, that you will need to control it better at home, should the time come when your doc can't get that blood pressure down. It's much cheaper to change diet than it is to be prescribed an ACE Inhibitor in addition to the beta blocker you're on right now. I'm not saying that WILL happen, just that you should control factors that you actually can control.

I don't even know my question here...is it me and my BP meds? or did I happen to choose the saltiest soups and salt is somewhere in my brain so I'm noticing it more? or has salt become the seasoning of the day?

It is not you, or the meds. You chose the saltiest soups possible. Salt has been the seasoning of the last century. It's cheap & it tastes great on everything, so they put it in almost everything. Much to the chagrin of people like myself who will have HBP no matter what I do, until I can transplant.

Any BP medicated folks have some thoughts? (keep in mind, my doctor hasn't specifically said to me to lay off salt, but I have been watching my salt intake on the one hand, but definately have not specifially been following any low salt diet at all).

I already said it above, but just because your doctor hasn't told you to specifically watch salt, doesn't mean you shouldn't watch it anyway. Also watch little things like butter. Unsalted butter just doesn't taste the same, so if you start using that instead, you are going to notice things that you were once buttering before eating now remain unbuttered. You were just looking for the salt, and I speak from personal experience here. I don't butter bread or popcorn anymore with unsalted butter. Popcorn, I have to eat with salted butter. It just didn't work last weekend. I had some popcorn, I air popped it, I poured melted unsalted butter on it, and sprinkled some Penzey's Arizona Dream on it. I made an identical bowl for my mother using salted butter. I liked her bowl of popcorn better, so I need to watch things like that. 

If you want my list of do's & don't's for low sodium eating, let me know, I can paste it here from Fakebook. The diet plan I follow is called DASH. It stands for Dietary Approaches to Stopping Hypertension. There is a book you can buy, but you can print it for free from a .pdf file that they have on their website.

post edited by stricken_detective - 2010/07/31 03:29:07
    stricken_detective
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/07/31 03:36:57 (permalink)
    Scorereader, I have sent you the info from Facebook in a PM. It's mostly a guide on what to look out for & links on where to get some of the nicer loso items.
    waiterhell
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/07/31 07:33:41 (permalink)
    PUH-leeze share with with us all.

Shopping, even when reading the nutrional information, is daunting these days
    By the way, look out for "low sodium" - it may mean more potassium, yet another threat to those us on BP meds.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3144
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/07/31 08:52:23 (permalink)
    waiterhell

PUH-leeze share with with us all.

Shopping, even when reading the nutrional information, is daunting these days
    By the way, look out for "low sodium" - it may mean more potassium, yet another threat to those us on BP meds.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6346
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/07/31 09:59:00 (permalink)
    It is really simple. Salt causes fluid retainage which contributes to higher blood pressure. I check and record my weight daily as well as track calories and daily exercise accurately. If I eat a restaurant meal, even if my caloric intake says I don't exceed daily needs, my weight will increase the next morning. It has increased even after a 12 mile Nordic walk the day before when supposedly I ate 500 calories less than maintenance. It has increased as much as three pounds. That is because restaurants over salt all foods.

At home we have no salt shaker. I salt nothing. Foodbme is right in that using less salt you accentuate the salt you do taste. I can taste the natural salt in foods now.

If you read labels in grocery stores looking for low salt you will start to see a pattern by the food processors. The holy grail of making food taste better is salt, fat and sugar. So if a product is touted as low salt you can bet it will have a higher fat and sugar content over the regular product. Vice versa, reduced fat products tend to have a higher salt content. It can get frustrating if on a low salt, low fat diet and desire not to waste calories on empty sugar calories. That's one reason I attempt to eliminate processed foods in my diet and eat real foods as much as possible--foods that come with no packaging label.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/07/31 10:03:57 (permalink)
    I know that I don't usually analyze WHY a food is tasty, I just notice that it is. This is really noticeable if I heat a can of Campbell's Chicken with Noodles LOW SODIUM soup for a sickly relative. This soup is ready to serve and only contains 140 mg of sodium per serving. It is also hard to find and very expensive. It would take a long time for me to come to like the taste of this soup, due to its low sodium content.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/07/31 10:54:05 (permalink)
    Foodbme

My experience has been that when you eat in a restaurant, the food tends to contain more salt than home cooked food. I think most restaurant cooks use more rather than less salt to enhance the flavor of their food.
    Also, I find that if you have consciously cut back on your salt intake for a period of time when you do get something that has been salted above your accustomed intake level, the taste is accentuated. 

So true..

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7759
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/07/31 11:31:44 (permalink)
    I'm oblivious to Salt.  Lately 99% of my meals, I  prepare at home so I'm assuming that my daily salt intake is at 2400 milgrams or less considering I've been consistently loosing weight over the last few months. On the rare occasion I eat out I'm really not concerned about how much salt I take in. My blood pressure which I just took less than 15 minutes ago is 93/65 so I guess I personally have no reason to be concerned.

Again, in my opinion, sodium isn't the big issue, I think the amount of carbohydrates (even the daily recommended allowance by the FDA) is above and beyond outrageous.

For example, even in roadfood terms, some of the date shakes I had out in California and the sweet tea I've had down south are just way, overly too sickenly sweet to even consider remotely enjoyable.

If I ate the amount of pathetically over beyond sugary hostess pies and sodas that some people do, I would already be in a pine box and I'm not even diabetic!
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/07/31 12:40:09 (permalink)
    Many restaurants use a soup base that's either in a thick paste form or powdered for their soups. For example, the chicken base that I use is 810mg/teaspoon which makes a very weak cup usually requires double and still doesn't approach the taste that you would get from a canned stock like Swanson's.

At home, I have no choice but to make stock from scratch to keep the salt down. The lowest stock that I can buy without going to a specialty store is Swanson's low salt with is 570mg/cup. I save all the carrot scrapings,celery ends and leaves, onion tops and bottoms that I'd normally throw out in the trash and keep them in a big zip lock bag. I'll buy two packages of chicken backs and cut them each up with a cleaver into 4 pieces, throw in the bag of vegetable trash, quarter a large onion, fresh parsely, and then season with peppercorns and bay leaf in a 10Q pressure cooker. I use a fat seperator to remove the fat.

I freeze this up in 2Q containers until I need it. Only way I can make soup or anything else for my dad that requires chicken stock. It's darned near impossible to keep his sodium level down even trying to cook from scratch when a slice of packaged rye bread has 220 mg salt. Even if you bought only store brand products that are labeled low or no salt added, you can't keep the numbers below 1500 eating like a bird. 
    stricken_detective
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/07/31 13:26:14 (permalink)
    Dawn, Pacific Organic Low Sodium is the lowest sodium broth I have found. It's something like 70mg per cup. They sell it at my local grocery store & I stock up when it's on sale.
    jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/07/31 20:19:55 (permalink)
    Davydd

It is really simple. Salt causes fluid retainage which contributes to higher blood pressure. I check and record my weight daily as well as track calories and daily exercise accurately. If I eat a restaurant meal, even if my caloric intake says I don't exceed daily needs, my weight will increase the next morning. It has increased even after a 12 mile Nordic walk the day before when supposedly I ate 500 calories less than maintenance. It has increased as much as three pounds. That is because restaurants over salt all foods.

At home we have no salt shaker. I salt nothing. Foodbme is right in that using less salt you accentuate the salt you do taste. I can taste the natural salt in foods now.

If you read labels in grocery stores looking for low salt you will start to see a pattern by the food processors. The holy grail of making food taste better is salt, fat and sugar. So if a product is touted as low salt you can bet it will have a higher fat and sugar content over the regular product. Vice versa, reduced fat products tend to have a higher salt content. It can get frustrating if on a low salt, low fat diet and desire not to waste calories on empty sugar calories. That's one reason I attempt to eliminate processed foods in my diet and eat real foods as much as possible--foods that come with no packaging label.

Amen!
    stricken_detective
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/07/31 20:33:42 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    My blood pressure which I just took less than 15 minutes ago is 93/65 so I guess I personally have no reason to be concerned.

Shut the front door! What an awesome blood pressure. My doctor would be so proud! Dare to dream...

Davydd, thank you for the explanation & examples.

BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1160
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/08/04 09:59:48 (permalink)
    I think it's the way restaurants make their soup - they probably use a commercial chicken or beef base that can literally make gallons of stock, but very salty.

Scorereader, in the last month I've had to cut back on salt, and it makes me wonder too, seems like when I eat out, most dishes that I eat seem overly salty.

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/08/04 11:15:25 (permalink)
    DawnT

The lowest stock that I can buy without going to a specialty store is Swanson's low salt with is 570mg/cup.

Kitchen Basics brand vegetable stock has 330 mg of sodium per cup. We use it as a soup base when we don't have time to make our own stock. I think it has a nice rich taste. You can buy it at any store, it comes in a box.

stricken_detective
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/08/04 15:17:58 (permalink)
    kland01s

DawnT

The lowest stock that I can buy without going to a specialty store is Swanson's low salt with is 570mg/cup.

Kitchen Basics brand vegetable stock has 330 mg of sodium per cup. We use it as a soup base when we don't have time to make our own stock. I think it has a nice rich taste. You can buy it at any store, it comes in a box.

Pacific Organic Low Sodium is the lowest sodium broth I have found. It's something like 70mg per cup.
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/08/05 04:33:45 (permalink)
      Dawn T., I like your approach to this thread. I also make my own stock from beef bones for onion soup and demi glace. Reducing a stock by 2/3 or more certainly intensifies what ever salt content was originally in so I don't use any salt in stocks.

However, at the restaurant, I do use a paste like product that has 1200 mg of sodium per serving. I use less of this if I am making a gravy because the roux that we make uses salted butter. I don't think that anyone else at work tastes their results because when I get there at 3:00 pm, all of the gravies and au jus, are overly salted. I will correct them before I allow the cooks to serve then. All most all of our soups are house made so that we can keep control of the sodium content in check as most of our summer trade is with older tourists who like most of us are on some what of a restricted diet.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have my own problem with HBP. On my last two doctor visits for my annual, he has mentioned my HBP. He cited fat, salt, carbs, and stress as factors. "Drink more water," he says. Hell, I drink at least 8 glasses a day when I work on the line. (6 days per week)

So, tomorrow, I will be "gone fishing", on the orders of my physician to lower my blood pressure. Two birds with one stone, so to speak as omega 3 fatty acids and the relaxation will help!

David O.
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/10/19 22:25:37 (permalink)
    Yes, I think restaurants load up on the salt, MSG and olive oil.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4606
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/10/20 07:01:23 (permalink)
    The bottom line is that so long as the "unwashed masses" continue to buy soup and other grocery products with high salt ... so long as they reward restaurants that use salt instead of actual flavor, thing will continue to get worse.

Perhaps an uprising (on the order of the recent, yet only moderately effective negative spin on HFCS)  would help, but I don't see it coming.
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/10/20 07:38:40 (permalink)
    Kland01s:  Kitchen Basics real stocks rule!  I don't make my own stock, and I don't care for broth, so I buy Kitchen Basics.  Can't do without it.  Anything I make, they have a stock for it.  Super-high quality, and they make some salt-free versions, too.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/10/20 08:30:05 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

The bottom line is that so long as the "unwashed masses" continue to buy soup and other grocery products with high salt ... so long as they reward restaurants that use salt instead of actual flavor, thing will continue to get worse.

Perhaps an uprising (on the order of the recent, yet only moderately effective negative spin on HFCS)  would help, but I don't see it coming.
    I do not either but it needs to happen." />

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10204
    Re:Salt in soup! Am I just noticing how high this is? Is it me? 2010/10/20 11:43:56 (permalink)
    fabulousoyster

Yes, I think restaurants load up on the salt, MSG and olive oil.

So, what's the problem with Olive Oil?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1