Saltgrass Steak house

Author
trayguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Joined: 2006/05/13 16:52:00
  • Location: Fort Worth, TX
  • Status: offline
2006/05/20 02:47:23 (permalink)

Saltgrass Steak house

Here in Fort Worth we have a nice steak house called the Saltgrass. Anytime anyone is coming though Fort Worth come on in and have a great little steak and one of the best margaritas you ever have.
#1

26 Replies Related Threads

    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1036
    • Joined: 2004/01/13 15:02:00
    • Location: Plano, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2006/05/20 12:57:37 (permalink)
    A chain, but good value for their prices.
    #2
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    • Joined: 2006/06/05 17:41:00
    • Location: Glendale, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2006/06/06 12:39:18 (permalink)
    They're ok - I'd rate their steaks at roughly equivalent to Outback, but perhaps a tad pricier. You could do far worse - Texas Roadhouse comes to mind.
    #3
    TexSkills
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    • Joined: 2006/08/14 09:49:00
    • Location: JAX/Tampa, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2006/08/14 09:52:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roadrash

    They're ok - I'd rate their steaks at roughly equivalent to Outback, but perhaps a tad pricier. You could do far worse - Texas Roadhouse comes to mind.


    Actually, I would say Saltgrass is on a higher plane than Outback. Heck, so is Texas Land and Cattle. Both serve much higher quality food.

    It is a chain steakhouse but they do serve good food.
    #4
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1074
    • Joined: 2006/01/18 16:52:00
    • Location: Schertz, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2006/08/14 12:16:19 (permalink)
    I have eaten there before.I like the one on I10 and Heubner best but as you say they are pricy.The Texas RoadHouse in Live Oak here has pretty good steaks.I have never had to send mine back.They have always cooked it to my liking ,and have eaten there for birthdays,etc.And have always been satisfied.
    It gets really busy,i would say more so than the Golden Corral in Universal City,just down Pat Booker Road a few miles.The two towns kind of run into each other and share the same main street.

    It was started by the owners of a cattle ranch near Karnes City,south of San Antonio.Several years ago the owners put the place on the auction block,and i think someone else now owns the restaraunts.
    #5
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    • Joined: 2006/06/25 22:19:00
    • Location: Houston, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2006/08/24 11:17:16 (permalink)
    Salt Grass was started by some real estate investors here in Houston along with a seafood chain called Babins. I was so excited when I saw the first one going it in a space formerly occupied by one of my favorite all time restaurants, a prime rib place, and I had high hopes it was being revived. I always intended to go, especially when another location opened about 10 blocks from where I live, but I never got around to it. Both chains were bought by Landry's Inc. a few years ago and they're not on my list of places I really need to try. According to the website they serve Certified Angus, which I think means choice, not prime.
    #6
    martipr
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    • Joined: 2006/05/22 23:28:00
    • Location: Haltom City, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2006/09/06 21:04:48 (permalink)
    If Saltgrass was the only steak house in existence I would eat pork!!
    #7
    Big Sausage
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    • Joined: 2006/07/23 12:56:00
    • Location: marana, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2006/09/06 21:20:29 (permalink)
    Tried the one in San Antonio, not bad and would stop again. Buy no means in the same league as Flemmings or Mortons but a good mid price steak house.
    #8
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1074
    • Joined: 2006/01/18 16:52:00
    • Location: Schertz, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2006/09/07 10:04:52 (permalink)
    Haven't tried Morton's or Ruth Chris too pricey for me.I just stick to Road House and Outback isn't bad.
    #9
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8515
    • Joined: 2006/05/21 06:45:00
    • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2006/09/07 10:41:37 (permalink)
    Never heard of Saltgrass-regional?
    #10
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    • Joined: 2006/06/25 22:19:00
    • Location: Houston, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2006/09/07 15:53:23 (permalink)
    Started in Houston, locations in several TX cities, one in LA, 2 in CO, 1 in NV.

    http://www.saltgrass.com/

    The Saltgrass Trail was a cattle drive trail from the Texas coast up to ????? Not sure where it went.

    The Saltgrass Trail Ride is the most famous trail ride that leads up to RodeoHouston every winter, running from Cat Spring, Tx.
    #11
    trayguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    • Joined: 2006/05/13 16:52:00
    • Location: Fort Worth, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/03/17 21:05:50 (permalink)
    BTW guys Saltgrass has some of the best frozen margarites to drink also.
    #12
    NYC2SoCal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    • Joined: 2005/11/16 14:52:00
    • Location: Irvine, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/05/31 02:24:20 (permalink)
    The only thing I remember that I really liked at Saltgrass was their butter.. Sweet and smooth. When in Dallas, I go to Forks III or DelFriscos.. but then, they are not in the same price range..

    I would probably do TLC than Saltgrass..
    #13
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1118
    • Joined: 2007/06/11 08:48:00
    • Location: Austin, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/06/20 14:53:14 (permalink)
    My one and only experiencewith Saltgrass was a very bitter experience. I took my wife there for a birthday dinner and when she tried to order a glass of wine. We were informed that this was only sold by the bottle. Ok fine. To my amazement I could buy the same bottle at HEB for 8 bucks and got charged 23 bucks for the privilige of buying it at Saltgrass. To add insult to injury some one scammed my credit card number and made a few unauthorized purchases. I am not saying this is limited to Saltgrass this type of scam is mostly in the restauraunt trade. And buy the way the food wasn't that great. I'll eat lutefisk before I go back to Saltgrass.
    #14
    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1036
    • Joined: 2004/01/13 15:02:00
    • Location: Plano, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/06/20 16:32:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brisketboy

    My one and only experiencewith Saltgrass was a very bitter experience. I took my wife there for a birthday dinner and when she tried to order a glass of wine. We were informed that this was only sold by the bottle. Ok fine. To my amazement I could buy the same bottle at HEB for 8 bucks and got charged 23 bucks for the privilige of buying it at Saltgrass. To add insult to injury some one scammed my credit card number and made a few unauthorized purchases. I am not saying this is limited to Saltgrass this type of scam is mostly in the restauraunt trade. And buy the way the food wasn't that great. I'll eat lutefisk before I go back to Saltgrass.


    Three times retail is not unusual for wine in a restaurant. I'm not saying that is right, just common. It is the reason I rarely order wine when going out.
    #15
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
    • Location: Knoxville, TN,
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/06/21 19:31:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by plb

    quote:
    Originally posted by brisketboy

    My one and only experiencewith Saltgrass was a very bitter experience. I took my wife there for a birthday dinner and when she tried to order a glass of wine. We were informed that this was only sold by the bottle. Ok fine. To my amazement I could buy the same bottle at HEB for 8 bucks and got charged 23 bucks for the privilige of buying it at Saltgrass. To add insult to injury some one scammed my credit card number and made a few unauthorized purchases. I am not saying this is limited to Saltgrass this type of scam is mostly in the restauraunt trade. And buy the way the food wasn't that great. I'll eat lutefisk before I go back to Saltgrass.


    Three times retail is not unusual for wine in a restaurant. I'm not saying that is right, just common. It is the reason I rarely order wine when going out.


    Good move and neither do I unless someone with lotsa money is buying. I have my cocktails in the room or at home if someone else is driving.

    I understand that the restaurants have got to make their money but I travel and I would have a very hard time tacking on wine with a meal.

    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    #16
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4236
    • Joined: 2007/06/24 08:45:00
    • Location: McKinney, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/06/26 19:59:51 (permalink)
    My one experience with Saltgrass had me paying $23 for a thin piece of ribeye that was what I get with the $10.99 steak 'n eggs at IHOP.

    This chain has higher pretensions than Outback which has never disappointed me at 8 locations in 6 states even though I despise "kneeling wait-service".
    #17
    mlinkinhoker
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    • Joined: 2005/09/13 23:47:00
    • Location: Brentwood (Nashville, TN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/07/03 22:02:38 (permalink)
    Well, I don't typically eat steak out because I feel I can do a nicer job at home for a fraction of the price. But travelling on business lately, co-workers always want to go and I have never been disappointed. I find it better than Outback and would even put it up close to The Palm and Ruth's Chris. Definitely good for the money. They have just converted a Joe's Crab Shack into a Saltgrass here and I will definitely go there when I want a steak and don't feel like cooking.

    I will say that part of what I don't like about Outback and Logan's and some of the other places is the heavy spices. A good steak aged and cooked properly only needs salt and a simple small grind of fresh pepper. I can't stand paying for a steak and only tasting pepper and garlic even though I like those flavors. I want them to accent not dominate the steak. It's like when we take my oldest stepson out and no matter where it is, he ALWAYS orders a steak - the most expensive one on the menu - well done and smothers it in ketchup. Just order a burger.
    #18
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4236
    • Joined: 2007/06/24 08:45:00
    • Location: McKinney, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/07/06 06:51:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

    quote:
    Originally posted by plb

    quote:
    Originally posted by brisketboy

    My one and only experiencewith Saltgrass was a very bitter experience. I took my wife there for a birthday dinner and when she tried to order a glass of wine. We were informed that this was only sold by the bottle. Ok fine. To my amazement I could buy the same bottle at HEB for 8 bucks and got charged 23 bucks for the privilige of buying it at Saltgrass. To add insult to injury some one scammed my credit card number and made a few unauthorized purchases. I am not saying this is limited to Saltgrass this type of scam is mostly in the restauraunt trade. And buy the way the food wasn't that great. I'll eat lutefisk before I go back to Saltgrass.


    Three times retail is not unusual for wine in a restaurant. I'm not saying that is right, just common. It is the reason I rarely order wine when going out.


    Good move and neither do I unless someone with lotsa money is buying. I have my cocktails in the room or at home if someone else is driving.

    I understand that the restaurants have got to make their money but I travel and I would have a very hard time tacking on wine with a meal.

    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN


    Like any good Southerner I begin any fine dining experience with a Wild Turkey neat. After that tastebud numbing libation any "fine wine" is a waste of money!

    American restaurants and California vintners have been successful in building a "wine cult" that is laughed at in Paris where the only people that pay the big buck for wine are vacationing Saudis!
    #19
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1118
    • Joined: 2007/06/11 08:48:00
    • Location: Austin, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/07/06 08:27:28 (permalink)
    Oh you are SO right. Our society seems to create these markets where none should be. Witness the rise of Starbuck's. They sell the worst burnt coffee at enormouse prices, drive the small guys out and cater to an elitist cult desperately grasping the green and white cup. Then there's that fool on fine living "Napa Style" who makes it seem that if you don't entertain like he does and doit Napa Style you are scum. Give me a cold Shiner, a plate of beef ribs, some pickles and I'm a happy boy. And yes I drink Folgers.

    Ok I'm through.
    #20
    Smacapen
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Joined: 2007/12/30 10:39:00
    • Location: Fort Worth, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/12/30 10:55:54 (permalink)
    All Of You People Who Speak Ill Of Saltgrass Are Completely Off Your Hinges. Everything Is Completely Above Par. Matching Ruths Chris And Pappa's. THe Price Of Wine Is Expected Anywhere To Be At Least 3 To 4 Times More Expensive Than Retail, But Retail Shops Don't Have A Waiter Who Will Open The Bottle And Serve It And Let You Form Your Own Opinion Before Even Taking One Sip. Also The Size Of The Steak Is Not All That Matters. It Is The Quality. The Marbling, The Texture. Those Of You Who Are So Quick To Pass Judgement Might Want To Take Another Trip To Your Local Saltgrass And Enjoy Some Fondeaux Along With A Nice Room Temperature Merlot, And Top It All Off With A New York Strip Served With A Loaded Baked Potato, And Cool Down With A Scrumptious Slice Of Homemade Cheesecake. Enjoy The Full Experience Before And Then Come Back And Tell Me What You Think.

    #21
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    • Joined: 2006/09/08 07:12:00
    • Location: Miami, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/12/30 12:19:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Smacapen

    All Of You People Who Speak Ill Of Saltgrass Are Completely Off Your Hinges. Everything Is Completely Above Par. Matching Ruths Chris And Pappa's. THe Price Of Wine Is Expected Anywhere To Be At Least 3 To 4 Times More Expensive Than Retail, But Retail Shops Don't Have A Waiter Who Will Open The Bottle And Serve It And Let You Form Your Own Opinion Before Even Taking One Sip. Also The Size Of The Steak Is Not All That Matters. It Is The Quality. The Marbling, The Texture. Those Of You Who Are So Quick To Pass Judgement Might Want To Take Another Trip To Your Local Saltgrass And Enjoy Some Fondeaux Along With A Nice Room Temperature Merlot, And Top It All Off With A New York Strip Served With A Loaded Baked Potato, And Cool Down With A Scrumptious Slice Of Homemade Cheesecake. Enjoy The Full Experience Before And Then Come Back And Tell Me What You Think.




    Actually, that is too warm for the merlot, unless you have a chilly dining room.

    Reds: The bottles should feel cool to the touch, but not cold (about 60° F to 65° F).

    #22
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
    • Location: Knoxville, TN,
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/12/30 13:58:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Smacapen

    All Of You People Who Speak Ill Of Saltgrass Are Completely Off Your Hinges. Everything Is Completely Above Par. Matching Ruths Chris And Pappa's. THe Price Of Wine Is Expected Anywhere To Be At Least 3 To 4 Times More Expensive Than Retail, But Retail Shops Don't Have A Waiter Who Will Open The Bottle And Serve It And Let You Form Your Own Opinion Before Even Taking One Sip. Also The Size Of The Steak Is Not All That Matters. It Is The Quality. The Marbling, The Texture. Those Of You Who Are So Quick To Pass Judgement Might Want To Take Another Trip To Your Local Saltgrass And Enjoy Some Fondeaux Along With A Nice Room Temperature Merlot, And Top It All Off With A New York Strip Served With A Loaded Baked Potato, And Cool Down With A Scrumptious Slice Of Homemade Cheesecake. Enjoy The Full Experience Before And Then Come Back And Tell Me What You Think.




    Sounds to me like you work there. This forum really indicates what folks have experienced and their opinion. It may be accurate or inaccurate. You really need to read their post and if you do work there, please use their experiences to improve Saltgrass.

    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    #23
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    • Joined: 2003/07/13 22:24:00
    • Location: Northampton, MA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/12/30 14:57:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Smacapen

    All Of You People Who Speak Ill Of Saltgrass Are Completely Off Your Hinges. Everything Is Completely Above Par. Matching Ruths Chris And Pappa's. THe Price Of Wine Is Expected Anywhere To Be At Least 3 To 4 Times More Expensive Than Retail, But Retail Shops Don't Have A Waiter Who Will Open The Bottle And Serve It And Let You Form Your Own Opinion Before Even Taking One Sip. Also The Size Of The Steak Is Not All That Matters. It Is The Quality. The Marbling, The Texture. Those Of You Who Are So Quick To Pass Judgement Might Want To Take Another Trip To Your Local Saltgrass And Enjoy Some Fondeaux Along With A Nice Room Temperature Merlot, And Top It All Off With A New York Strip Served With A Loaded Baked Potato, And Cool Down With A Scrumptious Slice Of Homemade Cheesecake. Enjoy The Full Experience Before And Then Come Back And Tell Me What You Think.


    Boy It Is Hard To Read When The Entire Paragraph Is Written As A Headline!
    #24
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8515
    • Joined: 2006/05/21 06:45:00
    • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/12/30 15:02:15 (permalink)
    WhereGreggEats:My First Thoughts Exactly...lol!
    #25
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    • Joined: 2006/08/20 14:24:00
    • Location: mansfield, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/12/30 15:49:17 (permalink)
    Of the mid priced chains, those that serve usda choice steaks, I prefer Texas Roadhouse over Saltgrass and the others. For Prime, I prefer BOB's Chophouse in Dallas.
    #26
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    • Joined: 2004/07/13 08:49:00
    • Location: Chicago, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Saltgrass Steak house 2007/12/30 20:15:00 (permalink)
    When I lived in the Metroplex our go to place for steak was Cattlemen's Steak House in Ft.Worth. IMHO far superior to the Saltgrass Chain at the same pricepoint. Old time Staekhouse (1947 I believe) Served on Sizzling plates with choice of salad and Potato.

    For business my favorite was the Original Bob's Steak and Chop House On Lemmon in Dallas.
    #27
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1