Salty ham or sweet ham?

Author
BillVol
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
2006/03/04 00:04:50 (permalink)

Salty ham or sweet ham?

Which do you prefer for sandwiches?

Also, which are the best hams, by name, for sandwiches?

24 Replies Related Threads

stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 359
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/04 00:22:38 (permalink)
    I'm a "Black Forest Ham" man. There are so many. My local supermarket deli will give samples of every single one. I'll bet yours will too. Ask, try em all
    That is a style, and maybe you are also asking about maker's names.
    BillVol
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/04 23:34:00 (permalink)
    SC, doesn't Hormel make a Black Forest? If so, I've had it and it is awesome. Just confirms what I thought.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/05 15:06:50 (permalink)
    I prefer sweet ham for my sandwiches. Miracle whip one day, mustard the next, but always with a juicy slice of tomato on rye toast
    or a spinach wrap.
    Salty ham reminds me of what I put in my boiled red potato and green bean, and onion dish. A ham hock!
    Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/05 15:56:14 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Every Thanksgiving and Christmas, my father would get a Turner Country Ham, located in Fulks Run, Va. It is salty, and
    we'd let it sit in water overnight. Boy, is it good from you like country ham. I believe you can order them through the
    mail, but not sure. The Stern's reviewed the place...http://turnerhams.com
    Now my wife get Kirkland Ham from Costco. It is pre-cooked and spiral cut. Very good and easy to deal with.
    Neither hams are deli-like, but great on homemade sandwiches.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/05 16:14:45 (permalink)
    You folks might enjoy this link. It is regarding Benton hams between Vonore and Madisonville, TN. He specializes in cured hams which range in age from six months to eighteen months.

The Mayor, Janet and myself stopped by there and had some of his cured Italian ham. Obviously it was raw but age cooked and very tasty. He gave us a nice tour of his quality facility.

http://www.ourcoop.com/news/news2.asp?CAT=17&ID=1593

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/05 16:34:43 (permalink)

Comparing Country Ham and "City" Ham (sugar-cured) is much like comparing Beef Brisket with Corned Beef or Pastrami. They are roughly the same cut of meat to start with, but thats where the similiarities stop.
    It is possible to use them interchangeably in many menu items, but the character of the end product will be quite different as a result of whatever style Ham you choose.

I like them both, but prefer certain styles in certain menu items. For Breakfast- Country Ham and Eggs or Ham and Biscuits are great. For that stereotypical Ham Sandwich at lunch, the City Ham does it for me.
    Carved and served as a main course at dinner I must admit I like the Honey glazed City Ham better than the always salty Country relative.
    Both are really great when served in the context of the menu where they really fit.

Paul is right, We learned a lot on that trip thru the Benton Ham Production Facility! If you want to see how Country Ham is 'Made' stop in there when you make that trip to the Gatlinburg or Knoxville area.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/05 17:50:31 (permalink)
    Growing up "ham" was a Kracus(sp)canned ham or a sliced deli meat "boiled ham". Oh the eye opening when first encountering a "REAL" ham. A spiral cut now graces our holiday tables. While I can occasionally find a small(1lb)canned ham here they're not the same as probably corrupted memory recalls
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7019
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/05 18:41:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

You folks might enjoy this link. It is regarding Benton hams between Vonore and Madisonville, TN. He specializes in cured hams which range in age from six months to eighteen months.

The Mayor, Janet and myself stopped by there and had some of his cured Italian ham. Obviously it was raw but age cooked and very tasty. He gave us a nice tour of his quality facility.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Would you classify this cured Italian ham as prosciutto?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/05 19:07:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Would you classify this cured Italian ham as prosciutto?

Actually Lleechef, I would except I did not know how to spell it much less pronounce it.. If I recall correctly, it was cured for eighteen months. I may be wrong on that but it was a long time. It was pretty expensive and The Mayor bought it. Thank you Mr. Mayor!
    It was very good and just ask Al and Janet. It only lasted a few miles down the road before it was consumed.

Sincere thanks for your help.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxille, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/05 19:56:10 (permalink)
    Lisa,
    It was priced at a little over $12.00 a lb. We bought 1/2 lb. and sampled it for a mile or two down the road, til it was gone. I was driving so I had to rely on Paul and Janet to peel me off a slice...that wasn't the best idea I've had! But I did get a little taste now and then! It was really great.
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/06 13:30:47 (permalink)
    Best for a ham sandwich?

My money says Honey Baked ham off the spiral-slice bone. Beyond belief great. My personal recommendation? A slice of ham between two slices of ham.

Use the leftover bone for incredible black bean soup.

- Rusty
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7019
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/06 15:51:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Lisa,
    It was priced at a little over $12.00 a lb. We bought 1/2 lb. and sampled it for a mile or two down the road, til it was gone. I was driving so I had to rely on Paul and Janet to peel me off a slice...that wasn't the best idea I've had! But I did get a little taste now and then! It was really great.

Yep. Sounds like prosciutto to me. I bet it was delicious. In Belgium they make the same kind of ham from wild boar. It's called Jambon d'Ardennes and it's fantastic too.
    Catracks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/06 17:17:23 (permalink)
    I like sweet ham for just about anything. I love to fry up spiral sliced brown sugar glazed ham for breakfast.

It's funny because I grew up on prosciutto and Virginia ham. I still like it for certain things.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/06 17:28:19 (permalink)
    Sweet ham for me with a spicy glaze.... The best "ham" I ever had turned out to be a "Black Forest" Turkey Ham... excellent flavor all the way through.. I like my ham super smoky as well.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/06 17:34:35 (permalink)
    Lisa aroused my curiosity about prosciutto.

Since Al, Janet and myself enjoyed the Tennessee version of this some time back, I thought I would investigate it a little more. Apparently there is several versions of this cured ham which may be cooked or raw. It is cured between 18-22 mmonths. No wonder it is a little expensive but very tasty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosciutto

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/06 19:12:08 (permalink)
    I agree with everybody. Black forest for sandwiches, well-soaked country for special meals, regular "city" ham for everyday meals and leftovers.

But I found something "new" a couple of years ago. I was in Houston at[url='http://web.specsonline.com/specshome.htm']Spec's[/url] liquor store/high-end deli and kind of went crazy. Among my purchases was a big hunk of something called "speck." I got it home, plopped it into the freezer, and forgot about it until just a week or two ago. I dragged it out, figured how to slice it paper-thin, and have ben playing with it ever since. It's wonderful!

Speck is maybe half-way between country ham and prosciutto. Not as salty, lightly smoked, and quite lean. Thin-sliced it's a treat for a sandwich, chopped into scambled eggs, seasoning for vegetables, or simply eaten out-of-hand. I checked the price just now and it's about $12 or $13/lb.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/06 20:01:03 (permalink)
    Country ham (i.e. salt cured), is king in my area. Nothing better than a nice thick slice with breakfast along with some fried eggs, grits, & toast (with butter). Same also much to salty for sanwiches. I buy a good quality pre-sliced smoked ham for that as well as in most ham oriented dishes. Prosciutto and similar have just made an appearence locally. It is available only pre-packaged and in small amounts. Quite good; quite $$$, etc; of no use for an entree. Many folks I believe forget the opportunities that arise with fresh hams. As all know; with proper equipment, brine, & smoking; these are often much tastier than what is available "off the shelf".
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/07 07:09:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rustywolf

Best for a ham sandwich?

My money says Honey Baked ham off the spiral-slice bone. Beyond belief great. My personal recommendation? A slice of ham between two slices of ham.

Use the leftover bone for incredible black bean soup.

- Rusty

Years ago I'd have agreed with you, but Honey Baked ham has gone downhill to the point that it's more fat than meat. The last one we had was the last one we'll have. The value just isn't there, and I honestly think they've changed the spice mix. Our last one tasted like ham soaked in kerosene.
    Rick F.
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/07 11:49:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Country ham (i.e. salt cured), is king in my area. . . . Same also much to salty for sanwiches. . . . . Many folks I believe forget the opportunities that arise with fresh hams. As all know; with proper equipment, brine, & smoking; these are often much tastier than what is available "off the shelf".
    Good points, though I do enjoy a CH sandwich from time to time. In too much of a hurry one day I picked up a "picnic" ham thinking it was a butt. I went ahead and smoked it as I would have a butt anyhow, and it was fantastic. Took forever, though!

Try speck sometime (see my post above).
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/07 12:55:50 (permalink)
    Wallyum - If, per chance, you ever get a HBH as a gift, you know where to send it! - Rusty
    Catracks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/03/08 11:10:39 (permalink)
    HBH is way too expensive. Totally unreasonable. Supermarket spiral sliced honey hams are just as good and sometimes ridiculously cheap when on sale.

Honey Baked Ham stores in California have lines down the street on holidays. I just laugh and go up the street to Vons.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/04/04 16:30:10 (permalink)
    If I'm eating a ham and biscuit I want good old salty country ham, if I'm having a ham and cheese sandwhich I want either honey baked ham or brown sugar ham.
    Rick F.
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/04/10 20:13:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by SassyGritsAL

If I'm eating a ham and biscuit I want good old salty country ham, if I'm having a ham and cheese sandwhich I want either honey baked ham or brown sugar ham.
    Ditto! Two distinct flavors. And I like the H & B biscuits a little on the flat, dense side, so the bread doesn't overpower the ham. But I've discovered in recent years what "long in the tooth" means, so I keep toothpicks handy!
    Phildelmar
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    RE: Salty ham or sweet ham? 2006/04/10 20:38:04 (permalink)
    I tend to go the Smithfield route, particularly as one of my favorite dishes involves that, butter, and crab meat, quickly sauteed
    It is not health food
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1