Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota

Author
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 305
2003/06/24 19:34:30 (permalink)

Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota

I ate at Sammy's in Winona, Minnesota. The pizza tastes like true NY pizza should taste. It had a garlic taste to the crust, good amount of olive oil and not too much tomato sauce. Thin crust as it is in NY.

Sammy's has all the usual pizza place food.
I rarely find good NY pizza outside of NY. This place impressed me, and for pizza, that is hard to do.

I am a native of Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn and I know NY Pizza better than anything I ever put in my mouth. Sammy's is GOOD.

Prices are very reasonable.

Winona is on the Mississippi River between the twin cities and La Crosse, Wisconsin.

Sammy's has a lunch buffet.

Their address is 126 West 2nd Street.
They are two blocks from the river. They have been in business since 1957 and there are about 25 Sammy's throughout Minnesota.

Has anyone else ever been there? What do you think of Sammy's?

12 Replies Related Threads

canoodle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota 2003/08/04 21:09:40 (permalink)
    This is my first post. I couldn't help but reply to your Sammy's experience. I live in Minot, ND and we have a Sammy's about a mile from our house! We eat there at least once a week and usually get the pepperoni mushroom with extra cheese. YUM!
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota 2003/08/12 16:33:19 (permalink)
    Man, I could not believe that I found a good, NY pizza three blocks west of the Mississippi. I am from Brooklyn. Once, I met my parents up there (my wife is from the La Crosse area) and we all went to Sammy's and they could not believe how good the pizza was.

Sammy's is the place to go for NY pizza in the midwest.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota 2003/10/18 19:50:43 (permalink)
    New website:

http://www.sammyspizzahibbing.com/

original in Hibbing (birthplace of Bob Dylan)

and the one I went to in Winona

http://www.winonaradio.com/sammys/pizza.shtml
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota 2003/10/18 19:52:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by peppertree

New website:

http://www.sammyspizzahibbing.com/

I wonder if the Zimmerman ever ate any Sammy's before he left for New York?
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota 2003/10/21 09:12:02 (permalink)
    I must admit, I read the thread and couldn't believe what I was reading. I have tried Sammy's when I lived in Duluth. I didn't care much for it at all, but then again, I am from Chicago, so, pizza is different from Chicago to Brooklynn.
    I'll give Sammy's another try. A friend of mine has a son who goes to school in Winona. Next time I go with him to bring his kid money or something, I'll suggest Sammy's.

Are you on Sammy's payrole???
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota 2003/10/23 17:42:49 (permalink)
    No, I live in Texas and am a native of Brooklyn. It is possible that the quality is not consistant. I went to the Sammy's in Winona and their pizza was fantastic. I could not believe it was possible in Minnesota.

Their pizza in Duluth may use a different recipe. I can only speak for what I ate in Winona. I went there in two different years, and it was consistant.
    Angie469
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota 2003/12/19 10:42:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by canoodle

This is my first post. I couldn't help but reply to your Sammy's experience. I live in Minot, ND and we have a Sammy's about a mile from our house! We eat there at least once a week and usually get the pepperoni mushroom with extra cheese. YUM!

I am a native Minnesotan and I haven't had a Sammy's pizza in over 9 years.... As a matter of fact, I haven't had a really good pizza since I left Minnesota... I can hardly wait to go home for Christmas so I can have a Sammy's pizza!!!! I have been thinking about one for about 3 months now
    mikeyjake
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota 2004/05/19 12:58:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by spadomanI am from Chicago, so, pizza is different from Chicago to Brooklynn.

Apparently, so is spelling.

;-)

m
    bobt
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota 2004/06/25 10:45:27 (permalink)
    Im from Hibbing where Sammys pizza started(actually is started in a small town west of hibbing but didnt get big till it moved to hibbing) All the sammys around the midwest arent consistent with the way the pizza tastes for some reason..even the original in hibbing isnt as good as it use to be when the original family of Perrelas owned it..the new owners arent quite getting it right...The family of the original family have opened the largest Sammy's ever in Coon Rapids minnesota outside minneapolis...I havent tried it yet...but Im sure its a great pizza...Another great place for Sammys Pizza is Eau Claire wisconsin..they do a great job too...Its kind of a crap shoot whether or not the sammys in any given town is just so so or great.
    carlylynn88
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota 2004/08/18 01:21:37 (permalink)
    Hey I just read this and was very excited. I am a student at Winona state and just got a job at Sammy's Pizza. I have not eaten there yet but after reading all of your posts I am even more excited to start there and try some of their pizza.
    bobmackenzie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota 2004/10/23 12:58:09 (permalink)
    Does anyone know whether or not the Sammy's Pizzas in Minneapoils and Wayzata are associated with the Sammy's in Duluth and Hibbing?
    raptero
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Sammy's is NY pizza in Minnesota 2006/06/08 19:38:40 (permalink)
    There are 18 Sammy's Pizza and Restaurants in Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota, referred to collectively as Sammy's United. While each Restaurant is individually owned, all the restaurants use the original recipes and the best description of the arrangement is that Sammy's United is a Family of Restuarants.

To Update the link mentioned above, the new website for the Sammy's Pizza & Restaurant locations in Grand Rapids, Hibbing, and West Duluth is as follows:

http://www.sammyspizzas.com
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1