San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3900
2013/07/16 14:37:51 (permalink)

San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days

I am planning a trip for the beginning of September with my son and his girlfriend. I looked over my last list and so many thing have changed that I wanted some new suggestions. Sears Fine Foods is still a given, but we are open for other places. And any suggestions about a reasonable place to stay where I can actually park a car without them taking a lien out on it would be appreciated.

Food wise, looking for seafood and other interesting things. Hog Island Oyster Co. is already on the list, as is L'Osteria del Forno for Italian. My son wants Incanto----any feelings about that? In Monterey I am competely open since I have not been there in 10 years and in Napa, No way to do the French Laundry so looking for less. Is that burger place, I think it's Taylor's Refresher, still good?
Thanks in advance!

16 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10083
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 14:46:37 (permalink)
    EdSails-
    Taylor's Refresher in St. Helena is now known as Gott's Roadside.  Cousin Johnny and I ate there in April and we absolutely loved the place.  The burgers, fries, shakes, everything was top notch.  Highly recommended!  If I ever get around to finishing that trip report, there will some photos posted.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 16:32:07 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

EdSails-
    Taylor's Refresher in St. Helena is now known as Gott's Roadside.  Cousin Johnny and I ate there in April and we absolutely loved the place.  The burgers, fries, shakes, everything was top notch.  Highly recommended!  If I ever get around to finishing that trip report, there will some photos posted.

Thanks, BB. Looking forward to the photos. Will make it a must stop. And I bet it's a bit cheaper than the French Laundry!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6647
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 16:35:49 (permalink)
    Ed
    Do go to Yountville and if you can, stay at the Vintage Inn.  Avoid The French Laundry.......been there........great but hundreds of dollars for one meal seems like a lot.  Go visit Domaine Chandon in Yountville and have lunch outside.  Also Bistro Jeanty and Brix......two other wonderful restaurants.
    I know you'll probably make it to St. Helena.  Go and visit Burgess Vineyards.  It's beautiful.  Tell Tom Burgess I said Hi.  Also in Napa, visit Calistoga which has many, many wonderful restaurants.  I love Napa!
    post edited by lleechef - 2013/07/16 16:48:15
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2876
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 17:05:04 (permalink)
    Taylor's Refresher in the Ferry Building is closed. It's still worth a visit for Cowgirl Creamery, Miette's bakery,  Recchiutti Candy and Slanted Door restaurant.

Where to eat in SF:
    John's Grill
    The Tadich Grill
    Tommy's Restaurant (Mexican)
    Tommy's Joynt (Hofbrau - Roadfoodiest of them all)
    B Restaurant
    La Taqueria on Mission Street

Where to stay in Monterey:
    Monterey Hotel. Ask for a room in the back of the building because revelers on Alvarado Street will keep you awake. The place has so much "Atmosphere" it seems haunted. 

Just about anywhere on the waterfront in Monterey will have good seafood.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5046
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 17:07:42 (permalink)
    A big second for Bistro Jeanty. If they still do them, have the beef cheeks! Also, unless they've gotten better, I think Mustards Grill, is over rated. Especially, service wise. They were very condescending last time I was there. That service issue seems to be a local malady in Napa.
    Andoo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 17:28:49 (permalink)
    In Monterey, try The Fish House on DelMonte, if you can get in. It can't be beat. Or, on Wharf II (the commercial wharf) go to the Sand Bar and Grill. In Carmel, Lil Napoli (also if you can get in), or Club Jalapeno or Baha Cantina. Both are excellant.
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1351
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 20:06:08 (permalink)
    I agree, definitely visit the Ferry Building!  The array of offerings is wide and yes, changing.  In fact, this list may already be out of date by the time you get there.  http://www.ferrybuildingm....com/merchant_list.php

Of course, you know I love Tartine for pastries and Bi-Rite Creamery for ice cream.  They're within a block of each other!  You can get the pastries to go, so you can have the ice cream right away.  And if you're in a wild mood, try Humphry Slocumbe for ice cream as well, although that's in a different part of town.

Tommy's Joynt, mentioned above, is a fun place.  And wild (in a good way).

House of Prime Rib is a classic, old school, meat and potatoes, with creamed spinach and Yorkshire pudding place.
    http://houseofprimerib.net/  Not much variety, but what they do is delicious and substantial.

Not Roadfood, but I absolutely adore Brenda's French Soul Food.  http://frenchsoulfood.com/  Her food has a lot of New Orleans influences, so not quite indigenous to SF, but really really good.  She does a fantastic breakfast/brunch which always makes me happy.

I, too, like Little Napoli in Carmel--have gone there for years.  Their pizza is always good, with a nice blistery crust, but next time I might try the spaghetti and meatballs.  The photos on their Yelp page look awesome.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz_p...qTSqnqufVyIvysr2ppfhFA

I'm hoping to get to Tadich Grill before the summer's over!

When your plans firm up, please send me a PM if interested in trying to meet somewhere, and we'll see if our schedules mesh.
    post edited by love2bake - 2013/07/16 20:07:12
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 20:09:28 (permalink)
    If you can be more specific about what you want I will make suggestions. Or PM me. Wide range of options in the SF Bay area for all kinds of great food at all price points.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10083
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 20:19:27 (permalink)
    Ed, here

is my Wisconsin Sourdough burger from Gott's.  This is mushrooms, bacon, cheddar and bbq sauce on grilled sourdough.  This was a heck of a burger.
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/07/16 20:20:54
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 20:25:01 (permalink)
    lleechef

Ed
    Do go to Yountville and if you can, stay at the Vintage Inn.  Avoid The French Laundry.......been there........great but hundreds of dollars for one meal seems like a lot.  Go visit Domaine Chandon in Yountville and have lunch outside.  Also Bistro Jeanty and Brix......two other wonderful restaurants.
    I know you'll probably make it to St. Helena.  Go and visit Burgess Vineyards.  It's beautiful.  Tell Tom Burgess I said Hi.  Also in Napa, visit Calistoga which has many, many wonderful restaurants.  I love Napa!

The wineries are what my son is in charge of. He has worked in the wine biz for 6 years now and has set up some private visits with wineries that he knows. I just am in charge of food and driving! I will ask him if he knows Tom Burgess.
    I will check with him about Rodney Strong. Unfortunately, Rodney is no longer with us. It's great that you have that memory of him.
    post edited by EdSails - 2013/07/16 21:28:02
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 20:30:21 (permalink)
    EliseT

Taylor's Refresher in the Ferry Building is closed. It's still worth a visit for Cowgirl Creamery, Miette's bakery,  Recchiutti Candy and Slanted Door restaurant.

Where to eat in SF:
    John's Grill
    The Tadich Grill
    Tommy's Restaurant (Mexican)
    Tommy's Joynt (Hofbrau - Roadfoodiest of them all)
    B Restaurant
    La Taqueria on Mission Street

Where to stay in Monterey:
    Monterey Hotel. Ask for a room in the back of the building because revelers on Alvarado Street will keep you awake. The place has so much "Atmosphere" it seems haunted. 

Just about anywhere on the waterfront in Monterey will have good seafood.

BB has suggested Taylor's new named place in St. Helena so that is a must. John's and Tommy's Joynt are on my short list of places to go. In the Ferry Building, we are doing Hog island Oyster Co. with a stop also at Chris Cosentino's salumi place. How can you resist a place that has a sign out front saying "we sell salted pig parts"?
    Thanks for the tip in Monterey. I will contact them immediately. 
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 20:32:02 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

A big second for Bistro Jeanty. If they still do them, have the beef cheeks! Also, unless they've gotten better, I think Mustards Grill, is over rated. Especially, service wise. They were very condescending last time I was there. That service issue seems to be a local malady in Napa.

I had my first pork cheeks last sunday and they were amazing. I may have to try that place you mentioned just to try the beef cheeks.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 20:34:59 (permalink)
    Andoo

In Monterey, try The Fish House on DelMonte, if you can get in. It can't be beat. Or, on Wharf II (the commercial wharf) go to the Sand Bar and Grill. In Carmel, Lil Napoli (also if you can get in), or Club Jalapeno or Baha Cantina. Both are excellant.

Which one is better of the two, as far as being comfy with fresh seafood? Not looking for fancy, but great seafood.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 20:38:15 (permalink)
    Go and visit another friend.......Rodney Strong.  Many years ago when I was chef at Kevin's At The Heritage in Quincy, MA we did a 7-course wine dinner focused on Rodney Strong wines.  He came to the dinner and it was wonderful.  Somewhere I have a picture of him kissing my hand.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 21:24:17 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Ed, here

is my Wisconsin Sourdough burger from Gott's.  This is mushrooms, bacon, cheddar and bbq sauce on grilled sourdough.  This was a heck of a burger.

Cliff, that looks amazing. We are definitely going there.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:San Francisco, Napa and Monterey in September----where to eat and stay these days 2013/07/16 21:59:37 (permalink)
    I'm sorry to hear about Rodney Strong.  I've been out of the "loop" for awhile.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1