San Francisco

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: San Francisco 2008/06/26 12:42:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Voyageur

quote:
quote:
ask for an Ann Coulter book. I dare you!

Not a good idea anywhere in this town!

That was evil of me to suggest--even as a joke--that bosco lover try that perilous request. Although I don't know her, she seems like a nice lady from her posts. I long for the days when people like Barry Goldwater and John F. Kennedy could be close friends. There’s such gross intolerance of political differences these days.

Younger Roadfooders may not know that both Kennedy and Goldwater were very conservative by today's standards. Both were tax cutters, supporters of free enterprise, and advocates for a strong, aggressive defence.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty. This much we pledge—and more". JFK's Inaugural

Those WERE the days!

These days a sovereign state's right under the 8th and 10th Amendments to execute child rapists is casually brushed aside not by referring to the Constitution, but by "Justice" Kennedy citing a self-divined reference to a "national consensus against capital punishment for the crime of child rape."

Neither Kennedy nor Goldwater were tolerant of Stalinism!

But, both would agree that http://www.kuletos.com/ is an excellent exemplar of SFO Italian cuisine. It's on Powell, just off Union Square.

sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1685
RE: San Francisco 2008/06/26 13:45:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

Washington Square Bar and Grill is dead, gone, kaput. Maybe it'll rise from the dead. I'm not holding my breath. The best meal anyone ever had there was the Peregrine Falcon who nailed a pigeon and devoured it on the sidewalk right out front at lunchtime to the admiration of other diners.

BT, did you plagiarized that sentence or are you just a student and admirer of Herb Caen ....

damn that sounds so Caenish
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: San Francisco 2008/06/26 13:59:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:
Originally posted by BT

Washington Square Bar and Grill is dead, gone, kaput. Maybe it'll rise from the dead. I'm not holding my breath. The best meal anyone ever had there was the Peregrine Falcon who nailed a pigeon and devoured it on the sidewalk right out front at lunchtime to the admiration of other diners.

BT, did you plagiarized that sentence or are you just a student and admirer of Herb Caen ....

damn that sounds so Caenish

TOTALLY!

Side note to new poster (the one who suggested Washbag), welcome, but fyi did you even notice the peron who asked for recs had already been there and said they had a good trip?! Contributions are always good but so much more worthy when they are in active pre-trip threads (yeah I know, not always, I know I know). But making sure a spot still exists is even more helpful!
sizz
RE: San Francisco 2008/06/26 14:10:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim

quote:

quote:
quote:
ask for an Ann Coulter book. I dare you!

Not a good idea anywhere in this town!

That was evil of me to suggest--even as a joke--that bosco lover try that perilous request. Although I don't know her, she seems like a nice lady from her posts. I long for the days when people like Barry Goldwater and John F. Kennedy could be close friends. There’s such gross intolerance of political differences these days.

Younger Roadfooders may not know that both Kennedy and Goldwater were very conservative by today's standards. Both were tax cutters, supporters of free enterprise, and advocates for a strong, aggressive defence.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty. This much we pledge—and more". JFK's Inaugural

Those WERE the days!

These days a sovereign state's right under the 8th and 10th Amendments to execute child rapists is casually brushed aside not by referring to the Constitution, but by "Justice" Kennedy citing a self-divined reference to a "national consensus against capital punishment for the crime of child rape."

Neither Kennedy nor Goldwater were tolerant of Stalinism!

But, both would agree that http://www.kuletos.com/ is an excellent exemplar of SFO Italian cuisine. It's on Powell, just off Union Square.

Jim: ..I hear what your saying ..................... and on a second thought Kuleto's aint bad ether
No Talent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 262
RE: San Francisco 2008/06/26 19:20:46 (permalink)
To oldredeyez,

It's still nice you brought up old places. I'm the same way.

I tend to live in the past because so much of my life is there.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: San Francisco 2008/06/27 00:38:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cecif
[making sure a spot still exists is even more helpful!

When it comes to San Francisco (or New York, Chicago, LA and some others), an easy way to do that is via Yelp! http://www.yelp.com/

I always check them before I mention anyplace I haven't been in a while because restaurants, even good ones, come and go.

I may channel Herb Cain from time to time, but the idea scares me--they way he left us and the age at which he did it scare me.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: San Francisco 2008/06/27 00:43:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by No Talent

If anyone is thinking of visiting there, the districts are next door to one another.

That would be kind of funny for someeone to hail a cab in North Beach to go to Chinatown.
Especially if they were at Columbus & Broadway because Chinatown is across the street.

That seems to be a common phenomenon--Chinatown and Little Italy being adjacent. It's certainly true in New York as well.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: San Francisco 2008/06/27 00:50:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim

FYI Pat Kuleto has 2 new places at Folsom and the Embarcadero. One a beef place called Epic Roasthouse ( http://www.epicroasthousesf.com/ ) and the other is a seafood spot called Waterbar ( http://www.waterbarsf.com/ ).
sizz
RE: San Francisco 2008/06/27 01:29:07 (permalink)
there is also a Kuleto's Trattoria across the Bayshore Freeway from the SF Airport..
.that would be the city of Burlingame .....
.. one can see this fine restaurant clearly as you drive the freeway south to the real Big city of San Jose ... the tenth largest city in the United States and capital of Silicon Valley

When you make it big in the world of technology you move to a cute little town of Los Gatos a bedroom community of San Jose were you'll also find a Kuleto's Italian Restaurant. cuz that's where the money is..........
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: San Francisco 2008/06/27 03:45:21 (permalink)
Pat Kuleto is actually the Bay Area's premier restaurant designer and co-owner of a number of them (I have no idea how many) but the ones I mentioned above are his newest.
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1965
RE: San Francisco 2010/07/12 16:51:26 (permalink)
I pulled this back rather than start a new thread.
We just got back. We tried a few new places that I will not knock here, and have nothing to add about the standbys, especially since I didn't take pictures,,,,,,,,but

If you are at a SFO airport hotel on your first or last night, I suggest that you skip the airport hotel restaurants and check out restaurant row in SOUTH San Francisco (a small town near the airport). There are over a dozen small places, and I understand that they are all good. We happened to eat at de Napoli, a rather small place that didn't have a line. (it used to be even smaller.......they just expanded.) We had a very thin crust pizza, very nice salads, and wonderful desserts. 9 out of 10 at least. I can only imagine how good the places with a line were.
FoodSherpas.com
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Flagged as Spam (3)
RE: San Francisco 2011/08/18 10:53:04 (permalink)
As another poster mentioned, there is a place that I consider to be pivotal for all my San Francisco trips:

Suppenkuche.

As my first contribution to this site, I did just do a formal review and uploaded photos here. Once/if approved, I'll post a link in this post to the RoodFoods.com review of Suppenkuche.

For now, i can only share my own experiences with :

"Just like pizza, pastrami and Virgil's BBQ are necessary components of every New York trip I go on, Suppenküche is the key to my trips to San Francisco.
I always try to plan a SF trip with a Saturday involved, since it's the only say they serve their special, suckling pig.

You can't go wrong with the rest of the items on the Suppenküche menu. 
When I'm fortunate enough to be in the Bay Area for a few days, I usually go there for the venison medallions for my second trip. Swapping out the spätzle for potato pancakes is a big win.

It's time for a new dish to be added to the Suppenkuche mix here. Behold: roast goose in bier sauce with potato pancake and red cabbage. This dish is perhaps even better than the suckling pig, which is saying a lot."

My own review as at 

Thanks,

- Matt

post edited by FoodSherpas.com - 2011/08/18 11:00:45
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 724
RE: San Francisco 2011/08/28 01:55:07 (permalink)
bosco lover

wow wow wow
you guys are the best. thank you so much for all the information. if i follow every single reccommendation i will gain 300 pounds. and i am okay with that, i'll walk it off.

and thanks BT for the weather tip, i was planning on bringing a sweater or jacket but looks like i'll need long pants as well. here in florida it's been 90 and swimming weather, i had forgotten other places get cool.
as far as hearing about bad chinese food, i think that was when i was on yahoo local, looking for reviews. won't waste anymore time there

The SF Bay Area in general has seen more FOG this summer than usual (thanks to a series of persistant Low Pressure systems in the northern pacific)...the warmer it is inland, the more the fog is pulled in from the ocean...and you can expect temperatures in the 50's at night, perhaps 65 to 75 in the day. 2 days ago KPIX-TV5 showed footage of tourists trying to get pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge but were hampered by the fog...

I was BORN in the (SF) East Bay, and know "The City" climate, and I'm really trying hard to remember when on earth it was ever 100* in SF...

A very famous quote from Samual Langhorn Clemmons (aka Mark Twain) is: "I never spent as cold a winter as a summer in San Francisco"...  and there ARE "banana belts" in SF where the sunshine is more likely...and the rule of thumb everywhere in California is: you want to be cooler then go west (to the coast / beach) and if you want to be warmer then go east (inland).

Too bad you don't expect to get out of The City...I would suggest Banchero's in the north end of Hayward (in the East Bay) on Mission Blvd for Italian food (we've been eating there since the 1950's)

Further "out of town" in Occidental (Sonoma County) is Negri's for Italian food (been eatin' there since the 1960's
Please give us a "post trip report" when you get back home...
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 724
RE: San Francisco 2011/08/28 02:28:41 (permalink)
BT

When it comes to San Francisco (or New York, Chicago, LA and some others), an easy way to do that is via Yelp!

I always check them before I mention anyplace I haven't been in a while because restaurants, even good ones, come and go.

I may channel Herb Cain from time to time, but the idea scares me--they way he left us and the age at which he did it scare me.

BT... I don't feel Yelp is OBJECTIVE...

YELP has come under attack because business owners feel they're being blackmailed:  unless you pay money to Yelp to get a higher rating (which translates to a higher screen page position)... And it's easy for a competing business to ambush another business with a bogus review...

And these Yelp credibility problems HAVE been the subject of newscasts (KPIX-TV & KTVU-TV, and others)

I put MORE credence with the reviews I read HERE than I do with Yelp...

And when it comes to channeling Herb Caen, be careful...it can lead to the use of "3 dots" when tossing words onto a screen (or page)...something Herb was not only unashamed of, but at times made fun of...

I don't quite understand the comment about the "way he left" and his age...It was cancer wasn't it (hard to remember)...???  We rarely get to choose the way we leave this earth, and he lived a long life & got one hell of a sendoff at his public memorial (down at the foot of Market St if I remember correctly)

PS...I was at KMPX-FM on Dusty Streets FIRST DAY at the radio station (as an engineer), but have tried to avoid the hub-bub of the Bay Area for the last 4 decades...y'all forget to turn the lights out at night (!!!)

(THANKS "foodbme")
post edited by BackRhodes - 2011/08/28 02:54:16
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10115
RE: San Francisco 2011/08/28 02:48:35 (permalink)
BackRhodes

BT

When it comes to San Francisco (or New York, Chicago, LA and some others), an easy way to do that is via Yelp!

BT... I don't feel Yelp is OBJECTIVE...

YELP has come under attack because business owners feel they're being blackmailed:  unless you pay money to Yelp to get a higher rating (which translates to a higher screen page position)... And it's easy for a competing business to ambush another business with a bogus review...

And these Yelp credibility problems HAVE been the subject of newscasts (KPIX-TV & KTVU-TV, and others)

I put MORE credence with the reviews I read HERE than I do with Yelp...

And when it comes to channeling Herb Caen, be careful...it can lead to the use of "3 dots" when tossing words onto a screen (or page)...something Herb was not only unashamed of, but at times made fun of...

I don't quite understand the comment about the "way he left" and his age...It was cancer wasn't it (hard to remember)...???  We rarely get to choose the way we leave this earth, and he lived a long life & got one hell of a sendoff at his public memorial (down at the foot of Market St if I remember correctly)

PS...I was at KMPX-FM on Dusty Streets FIRST DAY at the radio station (as an engineer), but have tried to avoid the hub-bub of the Bay Area for the last 4 decades...y'all forget to turn the lights out at night (!!!)

PS...something is screwy on this web page...it want's to turn my reply into quote text...

It's screwy because you used "Blockquote" . Look at the top header of the page next to font family and font size.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1