San Francisco

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bosco lover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
2008/05/23 15:27:25 (permalink)

San Francisco

hubby is going out to san fran next week for a convention and i'm tagging along. we are not going to have time to get out of the city into napa or muir woods, etc. may not even get over the bridge to sausalito. so any reccomendations for in the city. we are staying fisherman's wharf area, but will ofcourse be moving around the city some. looking for fairly inexpensive,casual, aurthentic places. hoping for an italian place in north beach and some seafood. is the chinese food really terrible in chinatown? that's what i keep hearing. if so how disappointing.
thanks

44 Replies Related Threads

sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/23 15:51:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    so any reccomendations for in the city. we are staying fisherman's wharf area, but will ofcourse be moving around the city some. looking for fairly inexpensive,casual, aurthentic places. hoping for an italian place in north beach and some seafood. is the chinese food really terrible in chinatown? that's what i keep hearing. if so how disappointing.
    thanks

your looking for fairly inexpensive,casual, authentic places ...well that looks like a job for our man about town and resident San Francisco's expert........our very own BT
    I will e-mail him and have him answer your request............

also go here http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27366
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/23 15:55:22 (permalink)
    My favorite Italian place in SF is Bertolucci's in S. San Fran accross the expway from the airport. It's been there for 70+ years with many of the same wait staff it seems. Great food and sourdough bread.
    Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/23 15:57:17 (permalink)
    Please try the search function for this, as there are many recent detailed treads on this topic, as well as use the restaurant tab above for reviews.

I change planes at SFO far more often than I go into town. If you're waiting for a morning flight inside security in the United domestic terminal, try the Buena Vista Cafe, a branch of the one in town. Not bad at all grub for an airport.

Driving and parking are frustrating experiences in the downtown area. You can take cable cars between Fisherman's Wharf and near the Moscone Convention Center (the Hyde one is most scenic), but there are often waits especially northbound.

An excellent alternative is the #30 MUNI electric trolley, which takes you right past the convention center. See this pdf file for a route map: http://transit.511.org/static/providers/maps/SF_712200711012.pdf

You'll go right through Chinatown, where my favorite restaurant is the House of Nanking. http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=4404&RefID=4428 I've suggested this here before, and some posters reply "tourists, tourists, tourists," but who cares if the food is so delicious and so different from the usual Chinese restaurant cuisine found in the U.S? Try to time your visit at opening or before the evening rush, or the wait may be too long.
    bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/23 16:00:22 (permalink)
    great suggestions so far, thanks
    we will not have a car so won't have to worry about the night mare of $40 a day parking
    BBq King
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/23 16:50:16 (permalink)
    A really great Italian choice is the Fillmore-Jackson which is right at the corner of Fillmore and Jackson Streets. The Muni will take you right to their doorstep. No reservations for parties of 2, but the wait is worth it and you can always eat at the counter.
    Another super outing would be to go to the Ferry Bldg. Taylor's Refresher is there as is The Slanted Door (Vietnamese). Nice stalls there for cheese, olive oil, etc. direct from the makers. The Ferry Bldg. is San Francisco. As far as food goes, The saying is "If you get a bad meal in San Francisco, you deserve it. There's just too many really great place to dine in THe City."
    If your going to do a lot of shleping around the city, get Muni passes. They're well worth the money. Muni will take you everywhere and on a couple of routes Muni uses restored trolleys paint to look like they were in service in Philly, Boston, etc. even Milan, Italy.
    Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/23 18:06:56 (permalink)
    I heartily second Taylor's Refresher in the Ferry Building at the end of Market Street. Wonderful upscale fast food.

http://www.taylorsrefresher.com/

Glance through the press section.

BBq King
    Cheeseburger
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/23 18:19:06 (permalink)
    A good time to go to House of Nanking is about 11:30 AM for an early lunch. Not to crowded at that time. The best bet is to let your server know it's your first time there and let them just bring out somes dishes.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/23 20:29:21 (permalink)
    No: The Chinese food is NOT "really terrible in Chinatown". The crowds, however, at places like Hunan (924 Sansome) can be. Frankly, I wouldn't let that stop me--just go at off hours (when I dine while travelling, I often eat at the most popular places by eating dinner at 4:30--or being there when the place opens for dinner service). And few of these places are too crowded at lunch time.

San Francisco does, however have a secondary Chinatown on Clement St. in the Richmond District (reachable from Downtown on the 2 Clement Bus or the 38 Geary which requires you to walk over a block) and few tourists know about it or visit it. It's especially active on Sundays when the dim sum shops and markets are bustling.

And there are good Chinese places all over town. One of my favorites--as I've said time and time again--is Shanghai Dumpling Shop 3319 Balboa--but that's WAY out in the Richmond (near the ocean).

If you don't have access to good Chinese food at home, you probably should try Dim Sum in San Francisco and the most reliable place downtown for that is Yank Sing (101 Spear of 49 Stevenson)--but its wildly popular so avoid peak lunch hours. But good Dim Sum can be had in plenty of places in Chinatown or on Clement St.

I don't often eat Italian food out--I'm a pretty good Italian cook at home--but by reputation, you wouldn't go wrong at Delfina (3621 18th St). Jackson Fillmore, mentioned above, is pretty good too. Other places to consider: Acquerello (1722 Sacramento), Allegro Romano (1701 Jones). If you must have something on the main drag in North Beach, try Franchino (347 Columbus). Or, for Italian seafood, consider Sotto Mare (552 Green St.).

You mentioned "authentic". That brings to mind a couple of "grills"--truly historic "old San Francisco" places: (1) Tadich Grill, (2) John's Grill. Neither is cheap, both have more atmosphere than great food. But "authentic" they are.

You should also consider Thai food in SF. Although there are good Thai places all over town, a few stand out: (1) Manora's (1600 Folsom), (2) Marnee Thai (1243 9th Ave.), (3) Khan Toke Thai House (5937 Geary Blvd). Manora's is closest to downtown. But, frankly, if you pass a Thai place anywhere in town that looks good, it probably will be--you can't go too far wrong. I have been going recently to Thai Stick (there are 2 of them--one near downtown at 698 Post and one a bit further at 925 O'Farrell--but I usually get take-out). They are plain but the food is tasty.

There are a couple of simple raw bars to consider if you like oysters or other plain seafood: The one you'll see a lot of references to here is Swan Oyster Depot on Polk (a very small place with very fresh seafood you eat at a counter). Another--bigger, more pleasant--is Hog Island Oyster Co in the Ferry Building. Finally, there is Anchor Oyster Bar at 579 Castro (in SF's gay Castro neighborhood but, seriously, that shouldn't dissuade you--it's a very pleasant hood full of renovated Victorians, but maybe avert your eyes from a few shop windows on Castro itself). Or, a popular option, grab a crab cocktail from one of the stands at Fisherman's Wharf.

Oh, and if you've never had a "mission style" burrito, try one. The best are in the Mission District at places like Taqueria Can-Cun, El Toro Taqueria, Taqueria Le Cumbre or Pancho Villa Taqueria. But there are places downtown.

BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/23 22:08:39 (permalink)
    PS: I just noticed you're from Florida. For goodness sake, be sure to bring a coat. You might luck out and have warm weather--80s, 90s or even over 100--because if it's going to happen, June is often when it does, but the odds are you'll be freezing. Right now, at 7 PM, the wind is blowing 20 or maybe even 30 MPH and it's 56 degrees. And we don't even have any fog yet tonight.
    BBq King
    Cheeseburger
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/23 23:15:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

PS: I just noticed you're from Florida. For goodness sake, be sure to bring a coat. You might luck out and have warm weather--80s, 90s or even over 100--because if it's going to happen, June is often when it does, but the odds are you'll be freezing. Right now, at 7 PM, the wind is blowing 20 or maybe even 30 MPH and it's 56 degrees. And we don't even have any fog yet tonight.

Sounds like a nice day in The City. Been there when it's been 90, ugh. Also there in 100 degrees, Double Ugh.
    I wonder who said Chinese food in SF Chinatown is terrible? Must be folks from the Eastern Time Zone. Have you seen the thread abot Chow Mein Sandwich? Now that's terrible.
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/23 23:47:33 (permalink)
    YAY BT! Always says the right thing...

I just want to add (don't stop me, BT, I know you have heard me say this before) that while Yank Sing is very good dim sum (and I go there more often than anywhere else these days), it's among the most expensive dim sum places. So, if you are on a budget, you can eat just as well for a lot less if you get the right rec. Last I heard Hang Ah was still good. It's in Chinatown (well, on the edge if you are a tourist & Grant = Chinatown!).

Oh yeah, I also recommend Eastern Bakery on Grant for very good Chinese sweets/pastries. Try a Po Lo Bau (if they don't understand say "pineapple bun", but it has no pineapple! just sugar & sweet bun).

Seafood, did anyone say Swan Oyster Depot?! It's reviewed here, but be prepared to wait! (Personally I think you can get good fresh stuff off the vendors at Fisherman's Wharf, but whaddooIknow, I'm just a native... )

For a GREAT San Francisco meal, though pricey but not break-the-bank pricey, I'd go to the Slanted Door in the Ferry Bldg. Reserve (difficult), go at an off hour, or eat at the bar.
    cecif
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/23 23:52:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

You mentioned "authentic". That brings to mind a couple of "grills"--truly historic "old San Francisco" places: (1) Tadich Grill, (2) John's Grill. Neither is cheap, both have more atmosphere than great food. But "authentic" they are.

p.s. If I could only eat one more meal - ever - in San Francisco... it would be at Tadich. NO question.

Somehow, BT, I missed you had mentioned Swan & FW seafood and... well, next time I promise to read more thoroughly. But hey, if I repeat your suggestions, it just backs 'em up (not that you need that!!!!!!).
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/24 00:15:43 (permalink)
    for some true roaDFOOD IN THE CITY TRY TOMMY'S JOINT,,,GOOD OLD FASHIONED HOF BRAU
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/tommys-joynt-san-francisco

ALSO AM NOT SURE WHERE YOU ARE FROM BUT FOR SOME GREAT NY STYLE PIZZA TRY ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK IN HAight ashbury
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/24 02:17:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cecif

I just want to add (don't stop me, BT, I know you have heard me say this before) that while Yank Sing is very good dim sum (and I go there more often than anywhere else these days), it's among the most expensive dim sum places. So, if you are on a budget, you can eat just as well for a lot less if you get the right rec. Last I heard Hang Ah was still good. It's in Chinatown (well, on the edge if you are a tourist & Grant = Chinatown!).

Oh yeah, I also recommend Eastern Bakery on Grant for very good Chinese sweets/pastries. Try a Po Lo Bau (if they don't understand say "pineapple bun", but it has no pineapple! just sugar & sweet bun).

Why would I stop you? I said myself there's good dimsum all over Chinatown (and on Clement) and I agree it's cheaper there than at Yank Sing (if not always so elegant). I've had it in the past but I don't go to Chinatown to eat so much lately--mostly I just get take-out Chinese nearer to home--so I'm glad someone knowledgeable can name the places which I can't any more.

quote:
    Originally posted by californiaguy

for some true roaDFOOD IN THE CITY TRY TOMMY'S JOINT,,,GOOD OLD FASHIONED HOF BRAU

ALSO AM NOT SURE WHERE YOU ARE FROM BUT FOR SOME GREAT NY STYLE PIZZA TRY ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK IN HAight ashbury

Yeah, I'm a Tommy's fan too (and it helps it's only 4 blocks from my condo). It really is "authentic" in the sense that it's representative of a type of place that used to be really common in SF in past decades and was still not uncommon when I moved here around 1980 but as far as I know, Tommy's is the last of--the "Hofbrau" which is a local term for a cafeteria style place. Tommy's serves "real food" meaning whole steamship rounds of beef, large briskets (corned and uncorned), monster turkey legs, home-made bean soup, buffalo stew and other carnivore treats which they carve in front of you as you go through the line with your tray. They also have over 100 types of bottled beer. Tables are communal (plus a few smaller individual tables and booths) and the TVs on the wall are perpetually tuned to the sports channel. But, heck, on a cold foggy night a big plate of brisket with mashed potatoes covered with gravy is mighty yummy.

Speaking of pizza, I've never been a fan of west coast pizza. Escape from NY is OK. So are many other places. I think Pronto--the local pizza joint in my hood--is OK too. But one place you might want to try that's a little above the ordinary is Tommaso's in North Beach (1042 Kearny). The pizzas and calzones are pretty good and the atmosphere is old time, but the place is best known for the fact that in times past Francis Ford Coppola was known to drop by and insist on making pizzas out in the kitchen.

One more thing that just occurred to me. You'll note I mentioned eating oysters above and I just recalled that back east we didn't do that in non-"R" months. But out here on the left coast we do. I think it's because the pacific water is so cold--in the 50's off San Francisco, even in high summer.

I just had an oyster po-boy for lunch the other day--at an excellent place on Polk St. near Eddy named Brenda's. I didn't recommend this above because they serve Cajun-Creole food (beignets, seafood po-boys, gumbo, etc) and that is hardly typical of SF (in fact, I wouldn't be able to tell you anywhere else good in SF to get it).

cecif
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/24 08:46:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

Why would I stop you? I said myself there's good dimsum all over Chinatown (and on Clement) and I agree it's cheaper there than at Yank Sing (if not always so elegant). I've had it in the past but I don't go to Chinatown to eat so much lately--mostly I just get take-out Chinese nearer to home--so I'm glad someone knowledgeable can name the places which I can't any more.

I was trying to be funny, apparently I failed...

Say, speaking of pizza, I have to guess you might have tried Zachary's. (I miss it so much, my mom is freezing one to bring out here - tried before & it worked great!) So, just wondering... do you like Zach's??

I'm putting Brenda's in the mental file to be tried (since I always want to go to NOLA and never seem to get there...). Love a good po' boy. Thanks.

Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/24 10:24:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    . . . we are not going to have time to get out of the city into napa or muir woods, etc. may not even get over the bridge to sausalito.

A quick and easy way to Sausalito is using the Golden Gate commuter ferries from the Ferry Building. If you time this with no fog, you'll have wonderful views of San Francisco Bay, the city skyline, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Beats the price of the regular harbor tours too. You can just turn around in Sausalito by taking the same boat back or stay as long as you wish, in order to walk, etc.

http://www.goldengateferry.org/

If you can spare just a half day, Gray Line San Francisco offers a half day combo tour to Muir Woods and Sausalito. This is well worth the time. See:

http://www.sanfranciscosightseeing.com/

On that S.F. transit map I posted above, you'll notice the #39 line in the Fisherman's Wharf area. A quick sightseeing trip is to take it to the Colt Tower on top of Telegraph Hill for awesome views when there is no fog. You can then walk down the hill to explore the Washington Square area, one of my favorites. If you continue southeast on Columbus Avenue, you'll come the the famed City Lights Bookstore (ask for an Ann Coulter book. I dare you!) and, after that, go back a half block to Grant Avenue (or see an online map for a shortcut via Jack Kerouac Alley), which takes you south into the heart of Chinatown.

http://www.citylights.com/

BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/24 13:31:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Voyageur

[ask for an Ann Coulter book. I dare you!

Not a good idea anywhere in this town!

As for transit, if you are going to use it, you should strongly consider a 1, 3 or 7-day pass: http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

And here are the official versions of the transit maps: http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mmaps/official.htm

Again, if you are going to use public transit (which I recommend--the system is an experience in itself and will get you anywhere you want to go (almost) in the city), buy an official map at a bookstore (Stacey's on Market St. or Borders on Union Square) or maybe Walgreen's. Or you could print one out from the PDF file at the site I posted.
    Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/24 17:15:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Voyageur
    ask for an Ann Coulter book. I dare you!

Not a good idea anywhere in this town!

That was evil of me to suggest--even as a joke--that bosco lover try that perilous request. Although I don't know her, she seems like a nice lady from her posts. I long for the days when people like Barry Goldwater and John F. Kennedy could be close friends. There’s such gross intolerance of political differences these days.
    bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/24 22:56:13 (permalink)
    wow wow wow
    you guys are the best. thank you so much for all the information. if i follow every single reccommendation i will gain 300 pounds. and i am okay with that, i'll walk it off.

and thanks BT for the weather tip, i was planning on bringing a sweater or jacket but looks like i'll need long pants as well. here in florida it's been 90 and swimming weather, i had forgotten other places get cool.
    as far as hearing about bad chinese food, i think that was when i was on yahoo local, looking for reviews. won't waste anymore time there
    Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/26 08:25:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    if i follow every single reccommendation i will gain 300 pounds. and i am okay with that, i'll walk it off.

With that positive attitude, you may wish to try Suppenkuche for dinner or Sunday bunch. Excellent and not terribly expensive German food in a very rustic atmosphere. (You eat at shared farm-style tables, but do not share dishes.)

You can easily reach this using the westbound Muni #21 electric trolley along Market Street, just north of the Moscone Convention Center.

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: San Francisco 2008/05/26 12:23:41 (permalink)
    Oh, and EliseT did San Francisco last year--this post and a few previous: http://kikimaraschino.blogspot.com/2007/09/san-francisco-thursday-friday-and-wrap.html
    bosco lover
    Cheeseburger
    RE: San Francisco 2008/06/20 13:04:24 (permalink)
    a month later- just thought id say thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. i ate very well my week in SF, and managed not to gain any weight i think due to the intense amount of walking and some bike riding in golden gate park. we dont have hills here in florida, so going up them is challenging. had wonderful dim sum at hang ah, great salt and pepper shrimp at house of nanking ( crowded, loud, no service, but all part of the atmosphere-and great food). good italian at some place on columbus, next to stinking rose-i forget the name, but amazing bruschetta. but i think my favorite was the farmer's market down by the ferry building-walked around and sampled everything, and had the best sandwich. some kind of rotisserie pork roast with carmelized onions and watercress on artisan roll. fabulous. again thanks for all the help. i will hopefully be back soon
    cecif
    RE: San Francisco 2008/06/23 14:43:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bosco lover

a month later- just thought id say thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. i ate very well my week in SF, and managed not to gain any weight i think due to the intense amount of walking and some bike riding in golden gate park. we dont have hills here in florida, so going up them is challenging. had wonderful dim sum at hang ah, great salt and pepper shrimp at house of nanking ( crowded, loud, no service, but all part of the atmosphere-and great food). good italian at some place on columbus, next to stinking rose-i forget the name, but amazing bruschetta. but i think my favorite was the farmer's market down by the ferry building-walked around and sampled everything, and had the best sandwich. some kind of rotisserie pork roast with carmelized onions and watercress on artisan roll. fabulous. again thanks for all the help. i will hopefully be back soon

YIPPEEEEEE! We love a happy traveler!
    oldredeyez
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: San Francisco 2008/06/24 21:31:36 (permalink)
    Go to the Washington bar and grill.Just ask a cab driver and they will take you there.For Italian try Original Joes in North beach.Something different,try Fog City Diner down by the water front,and don't be shy about asking the concierge at your hotel,there must be over a thousand places to eat in SF,all good and an experience.Don't forget Chinatown either.Tommy Toy's and the Mabuhay Gardens
    No Talent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 262
    RE: San Francisco 2008/06/24 22:54:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oldredeyez

Go to the Washington bar and grill.For Italian try Original Joes. Don't forget Mabuhay Gardens

From The Yahoo Facts & Rumours Update Desk;

Mabuhay Gardens closed in 1986 and Dirk Dirksen who owns the name is not likely to let it be used again.

Original Joe's had a bad fire in 2007 and may not be back until 2009.

The Wash Bag closed a while ago but is rumoured to be back later this year and it's legendary bartender says, if that happens to count on him to return.
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: San Francisco 2008/06/24 23:20:32 (permalink)
    Mabuhay Gardens wasn't in Chinatown. And although technically a restaurant, it was the birthplace of the SF punk scene. Fun place.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: San Francisco 2008/06/25 23:14:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oldredeyez

Go to the Washington bar and grill.Just ask a cab driver and they will take you there.For Italian try Original Joes in North beach.Something different,try Fog City Diner down by the water front,and don't be shy about asking the concierge at your hotel,there must be over a thousand places to eat in SF,all good and an experience.Don't forget Chinatown either.Tommy Toy's and the Mabuhay Gardens

Washington Square Bar and Grill is dead, gone, kaput. Maybe it'll rise from the dead. I'm not holding my breath. The best meal anyone ever had there was the Peregrine Falcon who nailed a pigeon and devoured it on the sidewalk right out front at lunchtime to the admiration of other diners.

Mabuhay was in North Beach on Broadway, a block east of Columbus--not Chinatown.

Original Joe's is in the Tenderloin on Taylor St. but still closed. Little Joe's was in North Beach (almost next to Mabuhay) but no longer--there are 2 now, one in SoMa and one on Van Ness. I was a regular in North Beach. Never tried the new versions.

Fog City Diner is still there--but don't expect diner food or diner prices.
    No Talent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 262
    RE: San Francisco 2008/06/26 02:04:22 (permalink)
    If anyone is thinking of visiting there, the districts are next door to one another.

That would be kind of funny for someeone to hail a cab in North Beach to go to Chinatown.
    Especially if they were at Columbus & Broadway because Chinatown is across the street.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: San Francisco 2008/06/26 11:34:48 (permalink)
    oh man! After reading this thread, I realize that I did indeed leave my heart in San Francisco. I miss the place. That was one of the best trips in my life. Not too many places to add, most were already mentioned. But here were some good ones too:
    Cha Cha Cha - cuban food in Haight Ashbury

more to come. I'll add them on. I need to refer to my travelogue.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1