Who has the best cioppino in the city?

13 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10353
    icecreamchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re:San Francisco 2012/07/27 15:00:12 (permalink)
    Mike, I am a "fish frowner," so I don't know where that would be. But, I highly recommend the Bi-Rite Creamery for ice cream there.

For gourmet bites and treats, the Ferry Building is a great place. It has lots of little shops, including one with the best chocolates I can remember tasting. Sadly, the endorphins have clouded my mind andI don't remember any useful or helpful details, like the name of the place.

To me, a trip to San Fransisco isn't complete without a trip to Ghiradelli Square for a more affordable chocolate fix. I love their squares and the dried fruit/chocolate pastlles.

One last suggestion: if you're looking for Italian in North Beach, we have fond memories of the Mona Lisa. When we were there last several years ago, the food was good and the staff was really friendly and good.

Have a great trip!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:San Francisco 2012/07/27 16:19:57 (permalink)
    icecreamchick

Mike, I am a "fish frowner," so I don't know where that would be. But, I highly recommend the Bi-Rite Creamery for ice cream there.

For gourmet bites and treats, the Ferry Building is a great place. It has lots of little shops, including one with the best chocolates I can remember tasting. Sadly, the endorphins have clouded my mind andI don't remember any useful or helpful details, like the name of the place.

To me, a trip to San Fransisco isn't complete without a trip to Ghiradelli Square for a more affordable chocolate fix. I love their squares and the dried fruit/chocolate pastlles.

One last suggestion: if you're looking for Italian in North Beach, we have fond memories of the Mona Lisa. When we were there last several years ago, the food was good and the staff was really friendly and good.

Have a great trip!

Do Recchiuti Confections ( http://www.recchiuticonfections.com/index.html ) or Scharffen Berger Chocolate Maker ( http://www.scharffenberger.com/ ) ring any bells?
    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1037
    Re:San Francisco 2012/07/27 16:20:17 (permalink)
    I was starting to recommend The Golden Spike, but I checked and it is gone.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    Re:San Francisco 2012/07/29 02:38:50 (permalink)
    If nothing else I'll try 1 of the places on the wharf.

Tumbleweed365
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:San Francisco 2012/07/29 09:47:23 (permalink)
    I would recommend the Tadich, SF oldest restaurant.

Everything is Old School here, and I haven't tried anything here I didn't love.
    The menu has a lot of things on it that you don't see anymore, and the waiters
    Are models of old time efficiency.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re:San Francisco 2012/07/29 09:59:54 (permalink)
    Mike, I have been to Scoma's many time, it has never failed. The restaurant is just off the main street down a very narrow alley, easy to miss. The food has always been good, good clam chowder, good seafood and pasta combo dishes. If your eating on the Wharf, knowing how touristy the Wharf is, Scomas is the place. I'm not saying Scoma's Cioppino is the best in SF, I'm saying you will not be disappointed. Eat the Cioppino like an Italian, (Both hands moving) bread in one hand while spooning the flavorful tomato seafood broth up with the other. A great Cioppino should make you want to pick up the bowl and drink every drop...Scoma's is a busy place, try to get a spot at the bar, relax your on vacation in a real busy tourist area..........Make the waiting part of the journey, have fun Mike..................Bill
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 410
    Re:San Francisco 2012/07/29 11:04:26 (permalink)
    MikeS.

If nothing else I'll try 1 of the places on the wharf.

Fisherman's Wharf if VERY touristy. But, that said, you can still get a decent Cioppino at believe it or not, Cioppino's on Jefferson St.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5108
    Re:San Francisco 2012/07/29 11:35:30 (permalink)
    San Francisco is my second home of sorts for many reasons. One including, having lived there.
    In my personal opinion, The Wharf is waaaay too "touristy" for me. And that's that's exactly what you'll get. A tourist's Cioppino.
    I love Tadich Grill but, not for Cioppino. Too expensive and, a smaller bowl.
    I would suggest Sotto Mare, Anchor Bar or my personal favorite, Swan Oyster Depot. 
    But regardless, you almost can't go wrong anywhere in the city for Cioppino.
    ENJOY!
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 410
    Re:San Francisco 2012/07/29 14:09:39 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

San Francisco is my second home of sorts for many reasons. One including, having lived there.
    In my personal opinion, The Wharf is waaaay too "touristy" for me. And that's that's exactly what you'll get. A tourist's Cioppino.
    I love Tadich Grill but, not for Cioppino. Too expensive and, a smaller bowl.
    I would suggest Sotto Mare, Anchor Bar or my personal favorite, Swan Oyster Depot. 
    But regardless, you almost can't go wrong anywhere in the city for Cioppino.
    ENJOY!

Hi, I lived in the east bay, and was in S.F. a lot. Just got back from a vacation there also! The place called "Cioppino" by the wharf is actually pretty darned good! I was surprised. 
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4119
    Re:San Francisco 2013/03/15 03:22:19 (permalink)
    pnwchef

Mike, I have been to Scoma's many time, it has never failed. The restaurant is just off the main street down a very narrow alley, easy to miss. The food has always been good, good clam chowder, good seafood and pasta combo dishes. If your eating on the Wharf, knowing how touristy the Wharf is, Scomas is the place. I'm not saying Scoma's Cioppino is the best in SF, I'm saying you will not be disappointed. Eat the Cioppino like an Italian, (Both hands moving) bread in one hand while spooning the flavorful tomato seafood broth up with the other. A great Cioppino should make you want to pick up the bowl and drink every drop...Scoma's is a busy place, try to get a spot at the bar, relax your on vacation in a real busy tourist area..........Make the waiting part of the journey, have fun Mike..................Bill

Sadly, I have to say that Scoma's was the only bad meal I had in SF last month. The clam chowder tasted like it was from a can with flour added so you could stand the spoon up straight. I ordered fresh halibut and it seemed more like frozen. The prices were ridiculous for it too----$10 for a CUP of chowder.
    My picks for great meals? The Hog Island Oyster Company in the Ferry Building was awesome. Clam chowder was different but some of the best I have had. Scala's Bistro had awesome duck liver terrine and roasted duck breast.
    Cioppino? It's been a while since I have ordered it out, since it is one of the more popular dishes I make when I have company. I might have to try that place "Cioppino's" though----I do love cioppino!
    post edited by EdSails - 2013/03/15 03:23:29
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re:San Francisco 2013/03/15 10:53:03 (permalink)
    EdSails

pnwchef

Sadly, I have to say that Scoma's was the only bad meal I had in SF last month. The clam chowder tasted like it was from a can with flour added so you could stand the spoon up straight. I ordered fresh halibut and it seemed more like frozen. The prices were ridiculous for it too----$10 for a CUP of chowder.
    My picks for great meals? The Hog Island Oyster Company in the Ferry Building was awesome. Clam chowder was different but some of the best I have had. Scala's Bistro had awesome duck liver terrine and roasted duck breast.
    Cioppino? It's been a while since I have ordered it out, since it is one of the more popular dishes I make when I have company. I might have to try that place "Cioppino's" though----I do love cioppino!

Ed, at one time Scoma's was the place to go, it was the old New York kind of Waiters and the food was great. I think in todays world there are better places to get a great meal in SF. I'm not sure I would put Scoma's at the top of the list anymore, it has a following that the food didn't keep up with the hype and tradition. It's really to bad, but it looks like the whole Wharf is a tourist trap. San Francisco is like any other town, the Roadfood places need to be sough out with some new fresh ideas.................pnwc...........P.S I remember the words to a Niel Diamond song

It used to be so natural
    To talk about forever
    But 'used to be's' don't count anymore
    They just lay on the floor
    'Til we sweep them away

I hate to see the old time great restaurants go away. I think it's time to say, ' used to be's don't count anymore they just lay on the floor Til we sweep them away. If someone asked me if I could relive a special memory, I would be 4 years old sitting on a stool at Woolworth's, next to my Mom, eating a English muffin and drinking hot chocolate.  ........................Bill
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4119
    Re:San Francisco 2013/03/15 16:43:34 (permalink)
    You are right, Bill. I only went to Scoma's because we had a pre-wedding dinner there. After the wedding, we went to a place called 54 Mint. The fresh halibut I had with a tapenade and fresh tomatoes was one of the best dishes I have ever had. In San francisco, it pays to avoid the wharf. A much better place it the Ferry Building, a foodie's paradise. With the Hog Island oyster Company that I love and Chris Cosentino's charcuterie place there (the sign says, "We sell smoked pig parts"), it is a foodie paradise. Lefty O'Doul's was a blast, a combination dive bar and cafeteria style food place with great entertainment. I had an excellent corned beef sandwich there. Not many places you can have a corned beef sandwich and wash it down with Maker's Mark!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1