San Francisco to Menocino?

Author
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
2003/08/13 21:30:57 (permalink)

San Francisco to Menocino?

I'm headed to work at Ft. Bragg, Cal (just north of Mendocino) next week, flying into SF & driving north - I expect it'll be dinnertime about midway across. I'll go up 101 to save time; I drove up Hwy. 1 last time and found few places open when I got hungry (Ended up at the posh restaurant/lounge at the Sea Ranch and had an expensive but good hamburger - every other likely place seemed to be open weekends only). So, any good place near, say, Cloverdale?

Ft. Bragg itself does have some good places - I'll have to splash out at Carine's once. And definitely go back to Cafe One, the nicest organic restaurant I've been to. Sunny, cheerful, great cheap food, not entirely veg (salmon from the local harbor), and the pancakes come with butter and maple syrup - my kind of organic.

5 Replies Related Threads

tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: San Francisco to Menocino? 2003/08/14 15:17:26 (permalink)
    While in Fort Bragg, do yourself a favor and stop by the North Coast Brewery. http://www.ncoast-brewing.com/index.cfm About 6 years ago we had quite a bit of their beer and dinner. The dinner was quite good, I had salmon on a board, and I had about 6 or 7 beers, I believe I sampled all but their darkest beer that night. The atmosphere was very intimate, and I recommend it as a place to spend a laid back couple of hours.
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: San Francisco to Menocino? 2003/08/16 16:09:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tamandmik

While in Fort Bragg, do yourself a favor and stop by the North Coast Brewery. http://www.ncoast-brewing.com/index.cfm About 6 years ago we had quite a bit of their beer and dinner. The dinner was quite good, I had salmon on a board, and I had about 6 or 7 beers, I believe I sampled all but their darkest beer that night. The atmosphere was very intimate, and I recommend it as a place to spend a laid back couple of hours.

I was working in Ft. Bragg 2 weeks; of course I had to go there! A substantial bowl of soup and a sampler of their beers made for a fine meal. I only regret I couldn't make the Saturday brewery tour. Love the seafood in the area but it can get pricey.

In my limited time in SF I had some fine Asian food, but I'm just passing through this time - I only hope someone can contribute some points-between places soon - I'm off Monday morning. If this post is up when I'm back I'll post what I found.
    Chef Susan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: San Francisco to Menocino? 2003/08/19 15:47:37 (permalink)
    You might want to try stopping 20 minutes south of Cloverdale and check out Healdsburg. It is right off the freeway and has a great selection of restaurants. My favorite is Zin Restaurant and Wine
    Bar. They do updated American regional food but in a totally comfortable and casual atmosphere. Try their Mexican Beer Battered Green beans with the Mango salsa...to die for! Another good restaurant is Manzanita. They do interesting bistro style food taking advantage of their wood burning oven. Let us know where you end up!
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: San Francisco to Menocino? 2003/08/22 16:32:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chef Susan

You might want to try stopping 20 minutes south of Cloverdale and check out Healdsburg. It is right off the freeway and has a great selection of restaurants. My favorite is Zin Restaurant and Wine
    Bar. They do updated American regional food but in a totally comfortable and casual atmosphere. Try their Mexican Beer Battered Green beans with the Mango salsa...to die for! Another good restaurant is Manzanita. They do interesting bistro style food taking advantage of their wood burning oven. Let us know where you end up!

Aww, now you tell me! I just got back; went right through Healdsburg to Santa Rosa, and ate at a Googie-esque cafe. Cool architecture, boring food. If I'm back that way again, I'll know where to go...

On the way up I went through Cloverdale, and main street was as ripped up as it was in May - one likely spot was closed Mondays except for the bar; the barmaid pointed out a spot just north of town - the Hamburger Ranch. Just a little shack with an extensive covered porch, and they also serve pasta dishes, but since it wasn't called 'Pasta Ranch' I went for the mushroom burger. A skilletful of tasty sauteed mushrooms covered the open-face burger, so I had to get most of those eaten before picking it up - top side down, as the bottom bun was starting to get juicy. Gotta say, it was one darn good burger, too... and eating outside at a picnic table in the northern California mountains on a late sunny afternoon was a transcendent experience.
    Their 'world famous' brag is supported by the numerous post cards of their printing tacked up on the walls mailed back by customers from far flung locales.

If Main Street hadn't been trashed I would've stopped at an in-town joint, a great-looking drive-in open since the 1920s, whose concession to sit-down dining was stools at the open-air counter. Maybe someone can give us the lowdown on this place.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: San Francisco to Menocino? 2003/08/22 20:21:29 (permalink)
    if your anywhere near Guerneville along the river theres a great breakfast place in the middle of town right on the river---The River Inn---awesome cream waffles----havent eaten anything there but breakfast but it was always really good!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1