San Simeon and Cayucos California. NO PICS

Author
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1511
2009/07/23 22:13:05 (permalink)

San Simeon and Cayucos California. NO PICS

We spent a week at the central coast of california, but since the suite had a fridge and microwave, we only ate out twice to save money.

Sebastian's General Store
http://sebastiansgeneralstoreandcafe.com/

We'd been aware of this place for sometime, but it has been open and closed and reopened so many times, I wasn't aware it had been reopened until I read about it in Central Coast Magazine.  This time they offered sandwiches  and groceries including lots of assorted bottled sodas and beers.
We came at lunch time and there was a line out the door.  Since there are only 3 people to take orders and cook, it took some time to get our food.  To be fair this is their busiest season, and they are very friendly people who do everything they can to make you happy.
I had the much touted homemade meatloaf sandwich and a whoopie pie, made by a local baker.
The meatloaf itself was very good and a little different.  It seemed to have a taco taste to it with red peppers and black olives. It was wrapped in very good bacon. It was on a huge toasted roll with romaine lettuce, some of the best tomatoes I've ever eaten, good smoked cheddar, mayo and mustard. I could NOT finish it in one serving. 
The whoopie pie was very dense and not too sweet, with a creamy filling.  I'd never had one before since I live on the west coast and don't get to the other side of the country much.
My eldest daughter had the BLT, with the same good lettuce and tomatoes and the plenty of the same bacon that the meatloaf was wrapped in, also on a large toasted roll.
My youngest had the classic grilled cheese with tomatoes and toasted sourdough.
I also bought a large homemade raspberry scone for breakfast which turned out to be very flaky and tasty.
Sandwiches run between 4 (classic grilled cheese)and 13.00 (for the housemade smoked salmon).  They also sell huge salads, homemade cookies and scones.

When we went to Cayucos up the coast, we found a new cookie place called Brown Butter Cookie Company. http://brownbuttercookies.com/
The owner told me they'd only been in business for 7 months, quite the contrast from Sebastian's that has been open since the 1800's!
We sampled their signature cookie, the brown butter and sea salt original.  It was small but packed with flavor.  Very buttery, a little salty, not too sweet and similar to a soft shortbread.  We also bought a chocolate variety that added a cocoa note to the original mix.  We finished by buying a large peanut butter cookie that was good but standard.
The smaller cookies are 1 dollar apiece, the larger cookies (also in chocolate chip and oatmeal) are 2 dollars apiece.  All the cookies are available in 1/2 dozen, dozen, and more.
They also sell homemade granola, and various varieties of sea salt.

post edited by Jennifer_4 - 2009/07/24 15:48:01

10 Replies Related Threads

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:San Simeon and Cayucos California. NO PICS 2009/07/23 22:20:48 (permalink)
    I love that part of California. We've been to Hearst Castle, twice! Stayed at a romantic little motel on Moonstone Beach near Cambria.
    I think we also went to Sebastion's. Don't remember too much about the food. Possibly because we hadn't been married very long at that time.
    Glad you and your family had an enjoyable trip.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8089
    Re:San Simeon and Cayucos California. NO PICS 2009/07/24 00:07:27 (permalink)
    I stayed at the Moonstone.  Great place.

I love both Cayucos and Cambria.

I think I ate at the Grey Fox in Cambria but that was years ago.

It's one of Californias pretty coasts.  Did you get to see any otters?  I loved watching them.  They'd dive and come up with clams. Then they'd open them while on their backs.  Hard to explain but great to watch.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:San Simeon and Cayucos California. NO PICS 2009/07/24 08:45:27 (permalink)
    Both those places sound wonderful.  I love a good sammitch.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15305
    Re:San Simeon and Cayucos California. NO PICS 2009/07/24 11:33:52 (permalink)
    Jennifer

Did you get to Hearst Castle etc thru the Southern Approach (Morro Bay) or from the North (Big Sur Rt.1 end). I would be interested in hearing about any places you found from Fresno over to the coast???

AL
    Jennifer_4
    Re:San Simeon and Cayucos California. NO PICS 2009/07/24 15:49:33 (permalink)
    mar52

I stayed at the Moonstone.  Great place.

I love both Cayucos and Cambria.

I think I ate at the Grey Fox in Cambria but that was years ago.

It's one of Californias pretty coasts.  Did you get to see any otters?  I loved watching them.  They'd dive and come up with clams. Then they'd open them while on their backs.  Hard to explain but great to watch.

We usually see a few otters in one particular part of morro bay. We saw many seals, sea lions and dolphins.
    Jennifer_4
    Re:San Simeon and Cayucos California. NO PICS 2009/07/24 15:53:49 (permalink)
    mayor al

Jennifer

Did you get to Hearst Castle etc thru the Southern Approach (Morro Bay) or from the North (Big Sur Rt.1 end). I would be interested in hearing about any places you found from Fresno over to the coast???

AL

Al, we got there from the south as we were staying in Cambria.
    As far as places between Fresno to the coast, there is the Jack Ranch Cafe, just near the 41/46 junction.  It has the distinction of being the place where James Dean was killed in his car so many years ago.  They have great burgers, fries, and homemade desserts (the kind that are displayed in pyrex dishes and tupperware).
    I can also recommend the Jack Creek Farms country store for cider slushies, fudge, nuts, preserves, etc ...as well as a wonderful confection called Golden Caramel Corn Nuggets, that we couldn't stop eating. Imagine corn pops cereal coated in a crunchy caramel coating.

vmarinoRoad
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:San Simeon and Cayucos California. NO PICS 2009/07/24 15:55:46 (permalink)
    Which part of Morro Bay has the otters? I'm following all this because we are moving there soon.

Vince M
    Jennifer_4
    Re:San Simeon and Cayucos California. NO PICS 2009/07/24 18:10:45 (permalink)
    vmarinoRoad

Which part of Morro Bay has the otters? I'm following all this because we are moving there soon.

Vince M

As you are driving out to the rock, there is an unpaved parking area across from the main beach. There are otters there constantly.

Jennifer_4
    Re:San Simeon and Cayucos California. NO PICS 2009/07/24 18:29:20 (permalink)
    A few other central coast restaurants that I have visited before and can recommend: In Cambria:
    Sow's Ear: fireside fine dining,  dark and light bread baked in a flowerpot, great food and customer service.  Best for romance.
    Linn's: one word - PIE or more specifically - Ollalieberry pie.
    Robin's: international organic cuisine in a comfortable patio setting, while there is indoor seating, the weather is always too nice for that.
    Mustache Pete's: homemade pastas, very accomodating for special requests, sign up for their insider club and receive free food throughout the year.
    Moonstone Beach Bar and Grill: within walking distance to most of the hotels on the beach drive.  Amazing Sunday brunch and interesting twists on old classics.

Cayucos:
    Duckie's near the pier.  Great clam chowder right near the beach.
    Ruddell's Smokehouse:  Best smoked fish around! Like any good smokehouse, you can smell it before you see it!

Morro Bay:
    Yummy sandabs and fresh fish, good coleslaw, housemade "dutch" hot sauce available for purchase either online or at the restaurant.  On the Embarcadero, like every restaurant there, great views and awesome service!
    Dorns: on the bluff above the Embarcadero, once again great views (ok, there is NO WHERE in this town without a great view), HUGE portions, very friendly and accomadating.  Best clam chowder in town.
    Giovanni's Fish Market.  Besides the usual fish and chips fare, they also feature freshly cooked crabs and fresh fish you pick out and they will cook up for you.  Dockside views with noisy seals to watch.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15305
    Re:San Simeon and Cayucos California. NO PICS 2009/07/24 20:04:09 (permalink)
    I'll second the vote on the M B Chowder. We had a large cup on a fall day some years back. Warm and filling, It really hit the spot.

VMarino Road,  I always thought that folks moved INTO Siver Lakes then never left !!!  Welcome to Roadfood. My old Principal, who the last I heard was Supt. of Schools in Boron ( A step up from Hesperia??), was still a neighbor of yours in Helendale!  It will be a major change for you moving to Morro Bay from the High Desert !!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1