Sanchos

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
2008/09/11 11:42:52 (permalink)

Sanchos

In Springfield, MO all the mexican restaurants from sit downs to corner take outs had a sancho on the menu. I can't recall what diferentiated them from a burrito...anyone know the subtle nuances? Thanks. BKK

33 Replies Related Threads

uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Sanchos 2008/09/11 23:53:32 (permalink)
    Thats a new one for me - can't wait to hear about it!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Sanchos 2008/09/12 00:37:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Big Kahuna Kooks

In Springfield, MO all the mexican restaurants from sit downs to corner take outs had a sancho on the menu. I can't recall what diferentiated them from a burrito...anyone know the subtle nuances? Thanks. BKK

I was born and raised in Springfield, MO, and I grew up on Mexican Villa food. The Sancho has lettuce inside the burrito. That's the difference.

Whenever I go back to Springfield, my first meal is a Sancho Enchilada-Style at any one of the Mexican Villa's.

It's a Springfield thing, just like Springfield Cashew Chicken. Neither can be had anywhere else.

And most outsiders complain about both of those wonderful foods. That just leaves more for us natives.
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sanchos 2008/09/12 08:32:04 (permalink)
    bushie; i went to SMS for two years back in the mid 70's and supplemented my diet of dorm food with late nite sanchos. Mexican Villa was reserved for special occasions. There was a take out on the corner of Glenstone pretty close to campus that we used to stumble into after late frat parties. Is it still there? BKK
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Sanchos 2008/09/12 10:22:48 (permalink)
    A couple places here serve sanchos. I actually prefer them to a burrito.
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sanchos 2008/09/12 10:49:56 (permalink)
    nebguy; where is here?
    dancinhomer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Sanchos 2008/09/12 11:19:12 (permalink)
    I went to SMS from 87-89.... some of the best years of my life were spent in Springfield. I'd move there again in a heartbeat if my job weren't elsewhere.

I don't remember the Mexican Villa at all, but I don't remember that as a time when I ate a lot of Mexican food. I did, however, eat many times my weight in cashew chicken. I don't think there was a joint in town I didn't try.

Where was Mexican Villa. Is it still there?
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Sanchos 2008/09/12 11:26:59 (permalink)
    quote:

nebguy; where is here?

Omaha
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sanchos 2008/09/12 11:37:57 (permalink)
    dancinhomeer; this is the location i remember
    Mexican Villa 434 S. Glenstone, Spfld., MO. I think it was across the street from some tennis courts or a park. It's interesting that for years I've been eating sanchos without realizing it. When at home, I have to have lettuce on my "burrito". BKK

MGWerks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Sanchos 2008/09/12 15:24:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

I was born and raised in Springfield, MO, and I grew up on Mexican Villa food. The Sancho has lettuce inside the burrito. That's the difference.

Whenever I go back to Springfield, my first meal is a Sancho Enchilada-Style at any one of the Mexican Villa's.

It's a Springfield thing, just like Springfield Cashew Chicken. Neither can be had anywhere else.

And most outsiders complain about both of those wonderful foods. That just leaves more for us natives.

Bushie,

Most outsiders in Minnesota complain about lutefisk, leaving more of it for those natives too. Doesn't make it any better-tasting. I do make my burritos with tomato and lettuce on the outside, however.

It's the broad variety of foods across the country that makes roadfooding great, though!
    BQ Matt
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/06 04:23:45 (permalink)
    The local fast food taco chains around here (Kansas)all serve "sanchos". They are a burrito that includes shredded lettuce here also.

When I lived in New Mexico, the folks of Mexican heritage thought it was a hilarious name for a food, as the word "sancho" is often used in Mexican slang as a noun to describe a guy who is having a sexual affair with a married woman. I think there are some phallic connotations in there as well.
    doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/06 05:56:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BQ Matt

The local fast food taco chains around here (Kansas)all serve "sanchos". They are a burrito that includes shredded lettuce here also.

When I lived in New Mexico, the folks of Mexican heritage thought it was a hilarious name for a food, as the word "sancho" is often used in Mexican slang as a noun to describe a guy who is having a sexual affair with a married woman. I think there are some phallic connotations in there as well.

My only problem with lettuce is that I treat burritos as something that can be partially eaten and finished later if desired. Wilted lettuce doesn't do it, but cabbage does work fine in fish burritos and tacos.
    Once I did a burrito special only to see that the owner added lettuce to the mix. It made no sense, now I know why. So it seems that it may be the norm here in CT.

It's Sancho who is taking your space in the bedroom while you are not home. He must be busy as it seems that he is in every bedroom while men are working...

mark
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/06 08:59:20 (permalink)
    I miss Sanchos --- I used to get them at Taco Tico. With all the Mexican restaurants we have around here, you'd think they'd be on the menu but I haven't found them yet. I can, however, make them at home but would also like to have them out.

Andrea
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/23 08:42:37 (permalink)
    Last night we had sanchos and I tried something different...i sliced lettuce, squeezed some lime juice over it and mixed in some salsa in a bowl. Used this mixture instead of adding all the items separate. Seemed to be a little more convenient...
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/24 00:01:39 (permalink)
    quote:

bushie; i went to SMS for two years back in the mid 70's and supplemented my diet of dorm food with late nite sanchos. Mexican Villa was reserved for special occasions. There was a take out on the corner of Glenstone pretty close to campus that we used to stumble into after late frat parties. Is it still there? BKK

Really sorry for the delay in responding; I just now came back to this thread.

The place you're talking about is owned by Mexican Villa now, but I think they started independent. It's still there.

In response to dancinhomer, the original Mexican Villa is at Bennett and National. It's still there, but there are 6 locations around town.

I was back in Springfield last week to see a friend who was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident. I saw a lot of old friends, and we ate at "the villa" each day I was there. I had the Sancho Enchilada-Style each time.

Like I said, it's a "Springfield thing". Nothing else tastes like it.
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/24 08:30:09 (permalink)
    i dont remember the cashew chicken...what made it unique?
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4617
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/24 19:24:33 (permalink)
    quote:

here ya go, BKK-
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/119964
    and-
    http://afridgefulloffood.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/03/springfieldstyl.html
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/24 22:08:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

quote:

here ya go, BKK-
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/119964
    and-
    http://afridgefulloffood.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/03/springfieldstyl.html

Great links, Bill. It was fun reading the old posts.

Big Kahuna, Springfield Cashew Chicken is chunks of white breast meat, breaded and fried, topped with an oyster sauce based "gravy", then topped with cashew halves and diced green onions.

It was originally created at Leong's Tea House, then it spread. Gee's East Wind (I believe it was a brother who opened that) served an excellent version, and a place named Cheong's (also related, but I don't remember how) opened several places around town.

Back in the heyday, you could hardly walk down any street in Springfield without passing by a place serving cashew chicken (and every place also served sweet & sour chicken).

All the original places have long since closed, and although there are many places that still serve it, there are very few places that make a quality version.
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/25 09:32:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info...while we're talking about Springfield, MO eateries do you remember a coffee shop at on glenstone almost at the interstate.that served great cheap breakfasts. also is a place named ebenezer's still there? bkk
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/26 13:30:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BQ Matt

I've never heard of sanchos in NM. What part of the state do you refer to?

I also never heard of sanchos in NYC either.

Are they a regional thing (regional US and/or regional Mexico migrant)?

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/27 10:30:28 (permalink)
    quote:

Thanks for the info...while we're talking about Springfield, MO eateries do you remember a coffee shop at on glenstone almost at the interstate.that served great cheap breakfasts. also is a place named ebenezer's still there? bkk

Wow, Ebenezer's. Haven't thought of that in a long time. When it opened, it was quite the buzz. First place in Springfield to serve quiche. They're gone, and I think it was a long ago, probably in the 90's, but maybe earlier.

As for a place on Glenstone near the interstate, I'm drawing a blank. There were several places further south on Glenstone, but let me give it some thought...
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/29 08:30:04 (permalink)
    Bushie; Went i was at SMS Ebenezers was a "date" spot. Pretty pricy back then for a guy on limited budget. We also used to hit the Friday happy hour at afew spots...buy a drink and eat our weight at the buffet.
    BQ Matt
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/30 05:37:19 (permalink)
    NYNM.. I live in Kansas now, where "sanchos" are basically a burrito with lettuce inside. When I lived in NM, the word "sancho" had an entirely different meaning, and it had nothing to do with food.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sanchos 2008/10/31 23:18:37 (permalink)
    quote:

Bushie; Went i was at SMS Ebenezers was a "date" spot. Pretty pricy back then for a guy on limited budget. We also used to hit the Friday happy hour at afew spots...buy a drink and eat our weight at the buffet.

Yeah, that was during the "disco days". My friends and I hated disco (although we would get out and dance for "Macho Man" and "Funky Town" just to have fun), but the idiots that ran those bars would always have a free buffet if you bought a drink. No telling how much free food we would eat by just buying one drink.

Thanks for starting this thread, BK. It's brought back some good memories. (And memories of good mammarys.)
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sanchos 2008/11/01 10:37:35 (permalink)
    My pleasure...hey remember the Vets wopuld do their annual Pig Roast ina big farm field...the aroma of ganja would roll in like the san franciso fog..
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4617
    RE: Sanchos 2008/11/01 11:28:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

Yeah, that was during the "disco days". My friends and I hated disco (although we would get out and dance for "Macho Man" and "Funky Town" just to have fun), but the idiots that ran those bars would always have a free buffet if you bought a drink. No telling how much free food we would eat by just buying one drink.

Thanks for starting this thread, BK. It's brought back some good memories. (And memories of good mammarys.)

our man bushie
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sanchos 2008/11/01 19:35:32 (permalink)
    Bill, I shudder to think that I actually owned a leisure suit. However, it was dark green denim, not polyester.
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sanchos 2008/11/03 07:22:07 (permalink)
    i had a dark green nehru jacket....hehehe
    Pastor Chris
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Sanchos 2009/02/02 15:47:08 (permalink)
    The difference is they have no beans as well as lettuce inside.  Here is a link to the menu description.

http://www.mexicanvilla.net/menu.html
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    Re:Sanchos 2009/02/02 15:57:54 (permalink)
    Hmmmmm, what the difference between burrito sauce and enchilada sauce???
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1