Sandwich Breads

Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2004/11/23 22:50:14 (permalink)

Sandwich Breads

I'm thinking the sandwich bread itself is very important to the end product. Those of you who make sandwiches at home, do you buy bread from a grocery store or from a bakery that may make a special roll or a type of bread not sold in a store?

11 Replies Related Threads

Sasaku
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Sandwich Breads 2004/11/24 19:57:48 (permalink)
    I always make sure to have 3 types of bread at home, wheat, rye, and a baquete. Sourdough for special occasions, and good sourdough.

Wheat for breakfast, but rarely a sandwich
    Rye for most sandwichs
    and Baquettes for where the ingrediants are intended to stand out and the bread is just texture like Italian sandwichs, or something similar.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Sandwich Breads 2004/11/24 22:09:46 (permalink)
    Because we are serious sandwich people, we search out the best bread we can find. To us the bread is as important as the stuff in between. I buy banh mi rolls at our asian market, I usually make teleras or bolillos for tortas or buy them from a nearby panaderia, and we buy good crusty Italian bread made by a local bakery at our neighborhood grocery store for panini. We live 2 blocks from a Palestinian bakery, so we get pita from there, sometimes still warm. I really like Orowheat 7Grain for vegetarian sandwiches and Pepperidge Farm (trans fats and all!) for grilled cheese, even if it is mass produced, it's good! We just really like bread, I make alot of our bread, challah, focaccia, ciabatta, but this time of year I'm working 60 -70 hours a week until Christmas, so store or bakery bought it is. There is good bread to be bought in our area. But we do have to go to several different places to get it. And that's okay.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Sandwich Breads 2004/11/24 23:17:28 (permalink)
    Interesting comments, and BTW I'm envious of anyone living within 2 blocks of a Palestinian bakery. But I was wondering about, for example, what kinds of bread make the best sub rolls, deli sandwiches, etc. Can I buy those at the store or do I have to go to a special bakery?
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Sandwich Breads 2004/11/25 22:53:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Interesting comments, and BTW I'm envious of anyone living within 2 blocks of a Palestinian bakery. But I was wondering about, for example, what kinds of bread make the best sub rolls, deli sandwiches, etc. Can I buy those at the store or do I have to go to a special bakery?

I think you do indeed need to go to a bakery specializing in particular breads to get the best. At least in my area. My local grocery store does have an in store bakery, but the sub rolls are not exactly great. And forget good rye. I can't find it.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Sandwich Breads 2004/11/25 23:35:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

I think you do indeed need to go to a bakery specializing in particular breads to get the best. At least in my area. My local grocery store does have an in store bakery, but the sub rolls are not exactly great. And forget good rye. I can't find it.

I like a dark Latvian style rye... It's getting hard to find since our Polish baker on the west side retired (though he imported it from Chicago in the last years). Now the only place you can find it is an Indian place in town (Not the original countrys settlers, but folks from India).. And I have to agree with Zaatar's comment on grocery store bakery's... Not all that great (atleast the 2 or 3 I visit).. Though they all seem to make a decent French Bread! (Great for French Bread Pizzas)..
    carlton pierre
    RE: Sandwich Breads 2004/11/26 00:43:34 (permalink)
    I'm agreeing that the typical grocery store bakery doesn't offer much (Jungle Jim the exception) but there aren't many bakeries any more either.
    juliev
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 147
    RE: Sandwich Breads 2004/12/26 15:14:48 (permalink)
    A long time bakery in the area makes a wide variety of breads. I love a good multi-grain bread for sandwiches. When I was a kid, I loved white bread (wonder, mostly) and wouldn't touch other kinds of bread. I have made oatmeal bread. That is great for toast and sandwiches. Peanut bread is great for french toast with warm strawberry preserves on top. It's also good as a grilled cheese!... especially with Havarti cheese!
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Sandwich Breads 2004/12/26 16:18:06 (permalink)
    I like the Country French loaf (round) that Whole Foods bakes. I usually eat about half a loaf with butter within the hour I bring it home.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13495
    RE: Sandwich Breads 2004/12/26 17:53:59 (permalink)
    The Sundancer certainly enjoys the bread machine. Besides the simplicity of operation, the smell of the fresh bread baking makes the place smell really good. All types of bread recipes are available at Walmart or other grocery outlets. I enjoy the sourdough, Italian herb and the sweet bread that is often available. When you pull it out of the machine and butter it hot and fresh, it is wonderful.

I just pulled a loaf of oat bran out of the machine and had it with a pork picnic shoulder glazed with buttered syrup, orange marmalade and mustard glaze. I sliced this wonderful morsel and had it with spiced mustard and I cooked up some green beans with bacon grease, onions and garlic. I had this with some wonderful Canadian libation and my Sunday evening was complete. I finished it up with a slice of rum cake. Rum cake sure is good with a cup of Mello Joy. Wish you were here.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Sandwich Breads 2004/12/27 07:56:07 (permalink)
    we always have white, wheat and rye on hand.. they each have their place in our 'sandwich world'.. some are better on each bread.. depends.. for instance.. nothing beats a salami and provalone on rye with a little mustard .. but that wouldn't taste the same on white? see... depends on the sandwich-but those are the breads we have at our house........:)
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Sandwich Breads 2004/12/27 20:07:13 (permalink)
    Pwingsx, who firmly believes bread and crust are only vehicles for carrying the 'good stuff' has one weakness when it comes to bread.

I love Grant's Farm oatnut bread. It even makes a humble cold Spam and Miracle Whip sandwich taste good.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1