Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf

Author
Green_Chile
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
2004/03/27 03:46:21 (permalink)

Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf

Ok I wasn't sure whether I should put this in recipes or here...I think it's best here though. So I was jonesin' for a nice sub tonight and wanted to try a "dressier" version than I usually make or find avaliable locally. Me being a late riser...I wasn't going to find a decent sandwich shop open anyway and decided on homemade. First off, I immediatly knew my main problem was going to be finding decent bread. Decent sub bread and me seem to be polar opposites as I have yet to find anything "just right". Walmart here has some ok italian bread, but with an easy 6 or 7 inch mid span it's hardly suitable for a proper sub...french bread anywhere around here has the same potbelly problems. Both of these styles always seem to lack in a nice crust as well....I mean a teaspoon or 2 of oil/vinegar sub dressing should never make for a sandwich which seems to have resided in the fridge for a few days, but I digress. I finally found a semi-decent loaf at the local grocer, called "parisian bread" which had a nice crust, a daintly 3-1/2 inch wide uniform width, nice 24 inch length, and a price tag to break the bank...it turned out to be alright with a 5 second nuke. Finally, the dressing. Now that I've become fed up with the old stand-by oil and vinegar splashes and the cheating, "just use some italian salad dressing" sandwich suggestions, I decided to find a Submarine Sandwich Dressing recipe. No easy task let me tell you, moving past the premade buy online or at the store versions, I scoured for hours to find what I thought to be a proper mix. I found 3 recipes in that time. Also actually found some sub dressing as I read was recommended, at the deli counter at my grocer...2.99 sale price reg price 3.99 for 8 oz " />. Ok so being a frugal person CoughcheapCough I read the ingredients and compared them to the recipes I had found online...and came up with this:

Submarine Dressing
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used soybean...evoo probably nice too)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 red pepper flakes (I removed the seeds)
1/4 teaspoon dried onion flakes (rehydrated if using within 2 hours)
1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/8 teaspoon dried minced garlic (rehydrated if using within 2 hours)
1/16 teaspoon celery salt
salt and pepper to taste, stir well or put in jar and shake.....refrigerate overnight for flavor to develop

I used mine after a short 2 hours in the fridge and it was fantastic bet it's really kick butt tomorrow

On a last note does anyone...anyone have a good recipe for a nice sub/italian sandwich bread loaf? I have an electric oven but I do own a nice pizza stone if that helps.

Yowsa didn't realize how long this was...promise to keep the next sandwich post down to a lean 12 or 8 inch sub if I can get a nice bread recipe

8 Replies Related Threads

Rhodes
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf 2004/03/27 08:33:20 (permalink)
    I'm always ready to applaud devoted culinary research - cheers! And you didn't even mention what you put on the sub besides the bread and dressing
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf 2004/03/27 08:58:06 (permalink)
    A simple marinade of olive oil,crushed red pepper,black pepper and maybe a splash of balsamic vinegar is all you really need.I use this on antipasta too.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18956
    RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf 2004/03/27 10:52:24 (permalink)
    I grew up eating subs made in Italian grocery stores where they put olive oil on the bread, sprinkled some oregano, salt and pepper, and that was it. I still make them that way. The bread, meats and cheese are the stars, although good olives help.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf 2004/03/27 13:48:59 (permalink)
    The first Grinder I ever tasted was the best I've ever had. It came from a little storefront Italian deli operation on old Rt 1 near Madison Connecticut. It must have been 1943, but I remember the place like it was yesterday. It was all white tile and glass counters, spotlessly clean and smelled deliciously like a peppery Genoa salami. I dont remember that there were a lot of choices, but in any case i always had the same grinder: A six inch crusty roll, sliced open and a portion of the doughy insides torn out, a liberal dose of excellent olive oil, shredded iceburg lettuce, sliced fresh ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced onion. piles of salami and provolone cheese, a little extra sprinkle of black pepper, a slight splash of cider vinegar and that was it - sheer delight! (I always removed the onion slices, but there was still a lingering taste and aroma of onion that was perfect for me). I dont remember what we drank along with the Grinder- probably beer or Coke or even milk - to this day I like a cool glass of milk with my Grinder.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf 2004/03/27 14:17:50 (permalink)
    Here is the copy-cat recipe for Avanti's sweet bread. Avanti's are a very popular local chain of Italian restaurants (which also have pick-up and delivery), that use their crusty bread to accompany their pasta meals, make their popular "Gondola" (sub), and even sell their bread outright. I think you will find it satisfactory. This recipe is from: http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/BREAD/ABM_Avantis_Sweet_Bread.html

Bread machine recipe:

3 cups bread flour
    3/4 cup water
    1 egg, beaten
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 scant cup sugar
    2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
    Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf 2004/03/28 00:11:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rhodes

I'm always ready to applaud devoted culinary research - cheers! And you didn't even mention what you put on the sub besides the bread and dressing

Ahh how could I forget, a pretty basic homemade sub from me:

sliced roasted turkey
    sliced ham
    assortment of provolone, mozzarella, romano and parmesan
    thin sliced cucumber
    thin sliced tomato
    thin sliced onion
    dill pickle chips
    sweet banana peppers
    shredded lettuce
    plain yellow mustard
    fresh ground black pepper
    fresh ground sea salt
    and of course the dressing I had made...Yum!
    Thanks for the applause Rhodes

quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

The first Grinder I ever tasted was the best I've ever had. It came from a little storefront Italian deli operation on old Rt 1 near Madison Connecticut. It must have been 1943, but I remember the place like it was yesterday. It was all white tile and glass counters, spotlessly clean and smelled deliciously like a peppery Genoa salami. I dont remember that there were a lot of choices, but in any case i always had the same grinder: A six inch crusty roll, sliced open and a portion of the doughy insides torn out, a liberal dose of excellent olive oil, shredded iceburg lettuce, sliced fresh ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced onion. piles of salami and provolone cheese, a little extra sprinkle of black pepper, a slight splash of cider vinegar and that was it - sheer delight! (I always removed the onion slices, but there was still a lingering taste and aroma of onion that was perfect for me). I dont remember what we drank along with the Grinder- probably beer or Coke or even milk - to this day I like a cool glass of milk with my Grinder.

Oh my, Connecticut Grinders! I lived in Groton Connecticut from age 5-9, in Navy housing, and attended grade school at Charles Barnum elementery school. Now the school had only a tiny kitchen so the policy was Monday through Thursday, all the kids had to brown bag it. The four days of waiting were worth it more often than not as 2 Fridays a month were "Ice Cream Friday" where for a mere 50 cents you could select from Ice cream sandwiches, chocolate eclair bars or strawberry shortcake bars. Wow, 1 friday a month was set aside for "Pizza Friday" 2 Slices for a buck. Last and best was "Grinder Friday". A parent willing to go into debt to keep their 6 kids happily fed were a child's dream. Those dollar grinders were the first and best grinders I had ever had. They were dressed just like seafarer john described above only with ham and no onion. I am still to this day always on the lookout for good grinder recipes. I'm drooling just recalling this. Thanks for reminiscing(sp) about grinders seafarer john!

quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

Here is the copy-cat recipe for Avanti's sweet bread. Avanti's are a very popular local chain of Italian restaurants (which also have pick-up and delivery), that use their crusty bread to accompany their pasta meals, make their popular "Gondola" (sub), and even sell their bread outright. I think you will find it satisfactory. This recipe is from: http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/BREAD/ABM_Avantis_Sweet_Bread.html

Bread machine recipe:

3 cups bread flour
    3/4 cup water
    1 egg, beaten
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 scant cup sugar
    2 1/2 tsp dry yeast

Great...thank you for this 6star, anyone know how to adjust this recipe for use without a bread machine? I sold mine at a garage sale because the thing caused me more grief than good bread

Thanks to everyone for responding. I can never get enough or read enough about sandwiches.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf 2004/03/28 01:28:32 (permalink)
    Green Chile: I found this recipe for the Avanti's in Bloomington, which should be the same as the ones in Peoria. It is a non-bread machine recipe & gives you step by step directions. Their loaves are about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter when baked.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=82680
    Good luck and have fun!
    Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf 2004/03/28 01:55:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

Green Chile: I found this recipe for the Avanti's in Bloomington, which should be the same as the ones in Peoria. It is a non-bread machine recipe & gives you step by step directions. Their loaves are about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter when baked.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=82680
    Good luck and have fun!

Awesome 6star, can't wait to try this one out. I'll post the outcome when I do. Thanks
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1