The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf

Author Message
Green_Chile

  • Total Posts: 115
  • Joined: 3/15/2004
  • Location: Albuquerque, NM
Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf Sat, 03/27/04 3:46 AM (permalink)
Ok I wasn't sure whether I should put this in recipes or here...I think it's best here though. So I was jonesin' for a nice sub tonight and wanted to try a "dressier" version than I usually make or find avaliable locally. Me being a late riser...I wasn't going to find a decent sandwich shop open anyway and decided on homemade. First off, I immediatly knew my main problem was going to be finding decent bread. Decent sub bread and me seem to be polar opposites as I have yet to find anything "just right". Walmart here has some ok italian bread, but with an easy 6 or 7 inch mid span it's hardly suitable for a proper sub...french bread anywhere around here has the same potbelly problems. Both of these styles always seem to lack in a nice crust as well....I mean a teaspoon or 2 of oil/vinegar sub dressing should never make for a sandwich which seems to have resided in the fridge for a few days, but I digress. I finally found a semi-decent loaf at the local grocer, called "parisian bread" which had a nice crust, a daintly 3-1/2 inch wide uniform width, nice 24 inch length, and a price tag to break the bank...it turned out to be alright with a 5 second nuke. Finally, the dressing. Now that I've become fed up with the old stand-by oil and vinegar splashes and the cheating, "just use some italian salad dressing" sandwich suggestions, I decided to find a Submarine Sandwich Dressing recipe. No easy task let me tell you, moving past the premade buy online or at the store versions, I scoured for hours to find what I thought to be a proper mix. I found 3 recipes in that time. Also actually found some sub dressing as I read was recommended, at the deli counter at my grocer...2.99 sale price reg price 3.99 for 8 oz . Ok so being a frugal person CoughcheapCough I read the ingredients and compared them to the recipes I had found online...and came up with this:

Submarine Dressing
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used soybean...evoo probably nice too)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 red pepper flakes (I removed the seeds)
1/4 teaspoon dried onion flakes (rehydrated if using within 2 hours)
1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/8 teaspoon dried minced garlic (rehydrated if using within 2 hours)
1/16 teaspoon celery salt
salt and pepper to taste, stir well or put in jar and shake.....refrigerate overnight for flavor to develop

I used mine after a short 2 hours in the fridge and it was fantastic bet it's really kick butt tomorrow

On a last note does anyone...anyone have a good recipe for a nice sub/italian sandwich bread loaf? I have an electric oven but I do own a nice pizza stone if that helps.

Yowsa didn't realize how long this was...promise to keep the next sandwich post down to a lean 12 or 8 inch sub if I can get a nice bread recipe
 
#1
    Rhodes

    • Total Posts: 281
    • Joined: 12/19/2003
    • Location: Dickerson, MD
    RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf Sat, 03/27/04 8:33 AM (permalink)
    I'm always ready to applaud devoted culinary research - cheers! And you didn't even mention what you put on the sub besides the bread and dressing
     
    #2
      jellybear

      • Total Posts: 1135
      • Joined: 10/15/2003
      • Location: surf city, NC
      RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf Sat, 03/27/04 8:58 AM (permalink)
      A simple marinade of olive oil,crushed red pepper,black pepper and maybe a splash of balsamic vinegar is all you really need.I use this on antipasta too.
       
      #3
        Michael Hoffman

        • Total Posts: 17852
        • Joined: 7/1/2000
        • Location: Gahanna, OH
        RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf Sat, 03/27/04 10:52 AM (permalink)
        I grew up eating subs made in Italian grocery stores where they put olive oil on the bread, sprinkled some oregano, salt and pepper, and that was it. I still make them that way. The bread, meats and cheese are the stars, although good olives help.
         
        #4
          seafarer john

          RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf Sat, 03/27/04 1:48 PM (permalink)
          The first Grinder I ever tasted was the best I've ever had. It came from a little storefront Italian deli operation on old Rt 1 near Madison Connecticut. It must have been 1943, but I remember the place like it was yesterday. It was all white tile and glass counters, spotlessly clean and smelled deliciously like a peppery Genoa salami. I dont remember that there were a lot of choices, but in any case i always had the same grinder: A six inch crusty roll, sliced open and a portion of the doughy insides torn out, a liberal dose of excellent olive oil, shredded iceburg lettuce, sliced fresh ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced onion. piles of salami and provolone cheese, a little extra sprinkle of black pepper, a slight splash of cider vinegar and that was it - sheer delight! (I always removed the onion slices, but there was still a lingering taste and aroma of onion that was perfect for me). I dont remember what we drank along with the Grinder- probably beer or Coke or even milk - to this day I like a cool glass of milk with my Grinder.
           
          #5
            6star

            • Total Posts: 4388
            • Joined: 1/28/2004
            • Location: West Peoria, IL
            RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf Sat, 03/27/04 2:17 PM (permalink)
            Here is the copy-cat recipe for Avanti's sweet bread. Avanti's are a very popular local chain of Italian restaurants (which also have pick-up and delivery), that use their crusty bread to accompany their pasta meals, make their popular "Gondola" (sub), and even sell their bread outright. I think you will find it satisfactory. This recipe is from: http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/BREAD/ABM_Avantis_Sweet_Bread.html

            Bread machine recipe:

            3 cups bread flour
            3/4 cup water
            1 egg, beaten
            1 1/2 tsp. salt
            1/2 scant cup sugar
            2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
             
            #6
              Green_Chile

              • Total Posts: 115
              • Joined: 3/15/2004
              • Location: Albuquerque, NM
              RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf Sun, 03/28/04 12:11 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Rhodes

              I'm always ready to applaud devoted culinary research - cheers! And you didn't even mention what you put on the sub besides the bread and dressing


              Ahh how could I forget, a pretty basic homemade sub from me:

              sliced roasted turkey
              sliced ham
              assortment of provolone, mozzarella, romano and parmesan
              thin sliced cucumber
              thin sliced tomato
              thin sliced onion
              dill pickle chips
              sweet banana peppers
              shredded lettuce
              plain yellow mustard
              fresh ground black pepper
              fresh ground sea salt
              and of course the dressing I had made...Yum!
              Thanks for the applause Rhodes

              quote:
              Originally posted by seafarer john

              The first Grinder I ever tasted was the best I've ever had. It came from a little storefront Italian deli operation on old Rt 1 near Madison Connecticut. It must have been 1943, but I remember the place like it was yesterday. It was all white tile and glass counters, spotlessly clean and smelled deliciously like a peppery Genoa salami. I dont remember that there were a lot of choices, but in any case i always had the same grinder: A six inch crusty roll, sliced open and a portion of the doughy insides torn out, a liberal dose of excellent olive oil, shredded iceburg lettuce, sliced fresh ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced onion. piles of salami and provolone cheese, a little extra sprinkle of black pepper, a slight splash of cider vinegar and that was it - sheer delight! (I always removed the onion slices, but there was still a lingering taste and aroma of onion that was perfect for me). I dont remember what we drank along with the Grinder- probably beer or Coke or even milk - to this day I like a cool glass of milk with my Grinder.


              Oh my, Connecticut Grinders! I lived in Groton Connecticut from age 5-9, in Navy housing, and attended grade school at Charles Barnum elementery school. Now the school had only a tiny kitchen so the policy was Monday through Thursday, all the kids had to brown bag it. The four days of waiting were worth it more often than not as 2 Fridays a month were "Ice Cream Friday" where for a mere 50 cents you could select from Ice cream sandwiches, chocolate eclair bars or strawberry shortcake bars. Wow, 1 friday a month was set aside for "Pizza Friday" 2 Slices for a buck. Last and best was "Grinder Friday". A parent willing to go into debt to keep their 6 kids happily fed were a child's dream. Those dollar grinders were the first and best grinders I had ever had. They were dressed just like seafarer john described above only with ham and no onion. I am still to this day always on the lookout for good grinder recipes. I'm drooling just recalling this. Thanks for reminiscing(sp) about grinders seafarer john!

              quote:
              Originally posted by 6star

              Here is the copy-cat recipe for Avanti's sweet bread. Avanti's are a very popular local chain of Italian restaurants (which also have pick-up and delivery), that use their crusty bread to accompany their pasta meals, make their popular "Gondola" (sub), and even sell their bread outright. I think you will find it satisfactory. This recipe is from: http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/BREAD/ABM_Avantis_Sweet_Bread.html

              Bread machine recipe:

              3 cups bread flour
              3/4 cup water
              1 egg, beaten
              1 1/2 tsp. salt
              1/2 scant cup sugar
              2 1/2 tsp dry yeast


              Great...thank you for this 6star, anyone know how to adjust this recipe for use without a bread machine? I sold mine at a garage sale because the thing caused me more grief than good bread

              Thanks to everyone for responding. I can never get enough or read enough about sandwiches.
               
              #7
                6star

                • Total Posts: 4388
                • Joined: 1/28/2004
                • Location: West Peoria, IL
                RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf Sun, 03/28/04 1:28 AM (permalink)
                Green Chile: I found this recipe for the Avanti's in Bloomington, which should be the same as the ones in Peoria. It is a non-bread machine recipe & gives you step by step directions. Their loaves are about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter when baked.
                http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=82680
                Good luck and have fun!
                 
                #8
                  Green_Chile

                  • Total Posts: 115
                  • Joined: 3/15/2004
                  • Location: Albuquerque, NM
                  RE: Sandwich Dressing and The Perfect Sub loaf Sun, 03/28/04 1:55 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by 6star

                  Green Chile: I found this recipe for the Avanti's in Bloomington, which should be the same as the ones in Peoria. It is a non-bread machine recipe & gives you step by step directions. Their loaves are about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter when baked.
                  http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=82680
                  Good luck and have fun!



                  Awesome 6star, can't wait to try this one out. I'll post the outcome when I do. Thanks
                   
                  #9
                    Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                    Jump to:

                    Current active users

                    There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                    Icon Legend and Permission

                    • New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

                    2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com