Sandwich "Roadfood" find in Williamsburg

Author
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
2005/06/04 16:03:47 (permalink)

Sandwich "Roadfood" find in Williamsburg

Last weekend, our family enjoyed some amazingly wonderful sandwiches. We bought them at The Cheese Shop in Williamsburg, Va. This is not a restaurant, but a terrific store with lots of wines and cheeses and other goodies. But they are most famous for their sandwiches which are made with freshly baked breads (at least 8 kinds to choose from) and their famous house dressing. They have an patio out in front which was a fun place to eat and to "people-watch". After we ordered our sandwiches, we picked out beverages (orangina for the small ones and the adults had 12 oz bottles of Chardonnay priced at a mere $2.40.

The sandwiches we selected were:

Prosciutto and Provolone on focaccia with sun dried tomatoes and house dressing

Provolone Cheese on French bread with alfalfa sprouts and house dressing

Braunschweiger on rye bread with alfalfa sprouts and house dressing

Barbeque sandwich on a large baguette

Peanut Butter and Jelly on whole wheat bread (2 little ones shared this)

My older granddaughter's cheese sandwich was the best cheese sandwich that I ever tasted and every single sandwich was absolutely delicious.

As I recall my Prosciutto sandwich at $5.25 was the most expensive.........a great bargain as it was so large that half of it was taken back to our hotel.

If you are headed to Williamsburg, make sure and stop here for a super sandwich.

http://www.cedarsofwilliamsburg.com/phototours/cheese-shop/

4 Replies Related Threads

TIPPY LEE
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Sandwich "Roadfood" find in Williamsburg 2005/06/04 16:54:19 (permalink)
    Sounds like a great find chezkatie!...Those sammich's sound SO good!...Tom B. in sandwich oblivion in Eastern Kentucky...
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Sandwich "Roadfood" find in Williamsburg 2005/06/04 17:22:22 (permalink)
    Have to reply to this cause last poster was a Tom B from E KY. I too am a Tom B and can affirm that the Cheese Shop is the real deal as chezkatie so enthusiastically points out. Oldest daughter graduated from the College of W & M in W-burg and every time she and her hubby go back down there for h-coming or whatever they can't wait to get to the Cheese Shop. They usually eat some there and "people watch" as chezkatie points out and they bring some home to store in the refrig--especially the bread and the special dressing.

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Sandwich "Roadfood" find in Williamsburg 2005/06/04 18:53:25 (permalink)
    Sounds good, but just about all the food in Williamsburg is first rate. The last I heard was that all the "official" Williamsburg establishments are all operated or controlled by the Williamsburg Inn. As a perineal 5 star establishment, the Willimsburg Inn does it right, the first time and every time.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Sandwich "Roadfood" find in Williamsburg 2005/06/04 19:26:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greyghost

Sounds good, but just about all the food in Williamsburg is first rate. The last I heard was that all the "official" Williamsburg establishments are all operated or controlled by the Williamsburg Inn. As a perineal 5 star establishment, the Willimsburg Inn does it right, the first time and every time.

We love the Williamsburg Inn but we did have a bad experience there last Easter. The children were enchanted with all the tables that were set up in the dining room area and were filled with wonderful Easter candies but our meal and service suffered dreadfully. Our waiter seemed to be too tired to really care about the service he gave us and the menu was limited (HELLO! We should have known it would be like this on a holiday.) The food was not 5 star quality at all. We had dined at La Yucca, The Fat Canary, and Trellis in the preceding days and had much better service and meals at each of those places.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1