"Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS

Author
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
2003/07/03 21:50:59 (permalink)

"Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS

I caught this documentary last night on our local PBS station. If they show it near you, I urge you to watch it. You will not be disappointed. It is by the same guy that did "The Hot Dog Program." He covers local-color sandwiches from all over the country...lobster rolls, po-boys, muffalettas...you name it!

http://www.wqed.org/tv/natl/sandwiches/main.html

I wonder if the filmaker has ever contacted the Sterns while doing his research for his documentaries?

Meowzart

19 Replies Related Threads

signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2003/07/03 22:12:56 (permalink)
    I saw it for the second time and Hot Dog for about the 6th. Will watch them each and every time they are shown. I've been to 9 places covered on the Sandwich show and 7 of the Hot Doggeries. That leaves a lot of uneaten territory.

I love Maryland Crab Cakes, but I guess you always take what you have for granted. They're just not served in a real roadfood environment like a Primantis or Varsity. Maybe there's just not enough different things in a crabcake sandwich. The best way to eat them is on crackers with yellow mustard. On a roll with lettuce and tomato is just not right. That pales in comparison to Primantis, open 24/7 and loaded with cole slaw, cheese, and fries, or a Varsity Slaw Dog with mustard, onions chili and slaw. Only the lobster roll is served naked, but usually from a roadside stand. Baltimore's Pit Beef sandwich hardly measures up to a Philly cheesesteak or hoagie.

This is a long winded way of saying. Lets do a roadtrip.

Howard in Baltimore
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2003/07/03 22:26:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

I caught this documentary last night on our local PBS station. If they show it near you, I urge you to watch it. You will not be disappointed. It is by the same guy that did "The Hot Dog Program." He covers local-color sandwiches from all over the country...lobster rolls, po-boys, muffalettas...you name it!

Not to tout the "competition", but Holly Moore, one of the featured guys in this docu, is a master roadfooder. This is an excellent video, and he's worth listening to.

(Yes, I often end sentences with a preposition.)

His website is excellent, also.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2003/07/16 12:38:27 (permalink)
    I watched this program the other night and really enjoyed it.

In my teen years, my father was transferred to Pittsburgh where we lived for two years. We became immediate fans of Isleys chipped/shaved ham, and I had completely forgotten about it until I saw their segment on the program. I have been wanting some since!
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2003/07/16 14:36:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

I saw it for the second time and Hot Dog for about the 6th. Will watch them each and every time they are shown. I've been to 9 places covered on the Sandwich show and 7 of the Hot Doggeries. That leaves a lot of uneaten territory.

I love Maryland Crab Cakes, but I guess you always take what you have for granted. They're just not served in a real roadfood environment like a Primantis or Varsity. Maybe there's just not enough different things in a crabcake sandwich. The best way to eat them is on crackers with yellow mustard. On a roll with lettuce and tomato is just not right. That pales in comparison to Primantis, open 24/7 and loaded with cole slaw, cheese, and fries, or a Varsity Slaw Dog with mustard, onions chili and slaw. Only the lobster roll is served naked, but usually from a roadside stand. Baltimore's Pit Beef sandwich hardly measures up to a Philly cheesesteak or hoagie.

This is a long winded way of saying. Lets do a roadtrip.

Howard in Baltimore
    Hey Howard Signman, I'm ready. I only lack two of the hot dog places - Pinks in LA and the place in Las Vegas (1 lb. hot dogs)-from the show. BTW - a good hamburger special is on tonight on Food Channel at 10:30, the biggest and best I believe. Past my bedtime but I'm going to watch.
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2003/07/16 15:59:53 (permalink)
    The one sandwich that I found most fascinating was the St Paul - an American Chinese sandwich only available in St Louis. Egg Foo Young between 2 pieces of white bread.
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2004/01/31 14:36:19 (permalink)
    "That guy" is Rick Sebak, who works for WQED in Pittsburgh, PA. This is the public television channel that filmed all of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood shows.

He also produced and wrote the Hot dog show, Pennsylvania diners, and about 15 other great shows. They are aired all over the United States on public television stations.

Rick is a great guy and loves new restaurant tips. You can also buy his vhs and dvds at www.wqed.org

Fair warning: you might want to lick your television screen while viewing!!!!
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2004/01/31 21:43:03 (permalink)
    Rick Sebak was the man, is the man, will always be the man when it comes to Americana documentaries. I would love to see him tag along with the Sterns.
    I haven't been able to catch this special yet, but I might buy it. The hot dog show is a family favorite.

And for the record, I'm really sick of snow!
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2004/02/02 08:44:14 (permalink)
    I also saw the sandwich and hot dog show several months ago. I'm wondering if there are any travel agents/tour operators out there who could put a sandwich roadfood tour together. I would love to eat at each one of the featured sandwich places. I too am weary of the snow. Here in Northwest NJ, I still have two feet of the stuff on the sides of my driveway.
    Oneiron339
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2004/02/02 08:48:51 (permalink)
    ANybody remember exactly where in Maine was Red's Lobster Roll stand? It's on US 1 but I didn't catch the name of the town. I'm going to Freeport next week and would like to visit Red's.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2004/02/02 15:18:04 (permalink)
    Oneiron,

Go to http://www.hollyeats.com/NewEngland.htm ! Scroll down to the section on Maine and check out the links there.

This should point you in the right direction.

CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2004/02/02 15:19:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

ANybody remember exactly where in Maine was Red's Lobster Roll stand? It's on US 1 but I didn't catch the name of the town. I'm going to Freeport next week and would like to visit Red's.

Wiscasset
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2004/02/02 15:37:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

I think you mean this place, which I'm pretty sure is not open in the winter:

Red’s Eats
    Water St. & Main St.
    Wiscasset, Maine
    207-882-6128
    Oneiron339
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2004/02/02 16:08:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info all, and Michael, you are correct, Red's is not open in winter. I'll go there next summer.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2004/02/02 19:54:04 (permalink)
    Hey...about a Roadfood tour (sort of). A guy drove the entire length of Rt.1 and wrote about his eats on the way. I bought it at B. Dalton but lent it out and it disappeared. I can't find the author's name. But it's a good read. Sorry this is so vague.

Lynne
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2004/02/04 17:24:07 (permalink)
    For those who are interested, there is a companion book to this show, written by Becky Mercuri. It is available online, at bookstores, or at www.wqed.org.

It features the sandwiches in the show, plus recipes for many of them. Now you can make your own favorites if it is too far to travel (or you are iced in your driveway, like some of us in the northeast).

Enjoy!!!

jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2004/02/04 18:39:08 (permalink)
    quote:

(Yes, I often end sentences with a preposition.)

You're in good company, Bushie. Winston Churchill despised pedantic writing. He once returned to an underling a document in which a sentence had been tortuously reworded to avoid ending it with a preposition. Churchill underlined the offending sentence and wrote in the margin: "This is nonsense up with which I will not put."
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2004/02/04 18:58:19 (permalink)
    JMCKEE - LOL!!

I had forgotten about this old post of mine. Mr. Churchill is one of my intellectual heroes, and I thank you for reminding me of his famous retort. I wish there were leaders like him today.

And jm199, thanks for the link! Lots of good stuff on there!
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2004/02/07 14:44:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

JMCKEE - LOL!!

I had forgotten about this old post of mine. Mr. Churchill is one of my intellectual heroes, and I thank you for reminding me of his famous retort. I wish there were leaders like him today.

And jm199, thanks for the link! Lots of good stuff on there!

As Justin Wilson once said about another politico, former La. Gov. Jimmie Davis (who wrote "You Are My Sunshine"), "Also, too, he is a good knife and fork man." The prologue of William Manchester's second volume on Churchill in his The Last Lion two-volume bio is a walk through a typical day at Churchill's home, Chartwell, during the years he was in political exile before WWII. It includes fabulous descriptions of Churchill's eating habits....
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: "Sandwiches That You Will Like" on PBS 2005/08/12 13:33:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart
    [brI wonder if the filmaker has ever contacted the Sterns while doing his research for his documentaries?

I don't know if he's ever contacted/spoken to the Sterns, but I have on good authority that he definitely knows of them and this site. I can't divulge how I know this, just that I do.

(Yeah, I know, way late. I was searching "Pittsburgh" for some suggestions of where to take my husband's visiting cousin (and girlfriend) tomorrow for lunch while husband is at his restaurant. )
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1