Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick.

Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2365
2012/09/22 21:42:21 (permalink)

Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick.

We will be driving from Phoenix, to Santa Barbara, looking for a good lunch place, "mid way stop" before we get to SB. I think there is a Bakery that Buffetbuster always talks about that could be on my Route ???  I am also looking for your favorite Restaurant idea in Santa Barbara. .................Thanks .................Bill

26 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10199
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 04:21:28 (permalink)
    That's a pretty long haul!! What route will you be taking?? There's several ways to get there. Will Molly be with you?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18344
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 10:51:30 (permalink)
    Calling Mar!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 11:57:00 (permalink)
    This link was invaluable while in Santa Barbara....... http://www.santabarbara.com/dining/best_of_sb/
    pnwchef
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 11:58:23 (permalink)

http://mapq.st/RScUci 
    We are planning to leave on a Sat, get to SB Sat night. I need to have a full day in a half in SB and then down to San Diego area. I don't want to do anything with the LA attractions, Mollie could walk through these places blind folded, she has been to these many times. What would be a good Roadfood/family approach to traveling the 467 miles........If I left Phoenix a Day earlier what would be some good ideas. ...........Thanks Bill
    pnwchef
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 13:01:20 (permalink)
    OK, Mar knows I'm a Shack/dive kind of guy " her words, not mine" I knew I shouldn't have worn the shoes with holes in them when we had dinner. You only have one time for a first impression, next time I'll use a fork too.

OK, OK ok... I punched Phoenix to Santa Barbara into Mapquest, when the line started going through the map, I smelled Pastrami on Rye bread, kosher pickles and matzo ball soup........What's up with that you ask!!!!!!!!   Shermam's Deli in Palm Springs..........Would it be a good idea to spend a few days in Palm Springs and cut my Phoenix trip a bit shorter ???????????????..........thanks Bill
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 15:11:09 (permalink)
    A couple of years ago my brother and I were racing our super comp NHRA car in Pomona.  As usual on Saturday morning we took a drive to Santa Barbara and had lunch at Chucks Waterfrom Grill.  It was outstanding at that time.  Great view and super food.

http://www.chuckswaterfrontgrill.com/menu.html

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville TN
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7829
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 15:17:54 (permalink)
    Okay, I'm here.

Bill...  Take Mollie and Joyce and leave your bib at home.

From things I've read, I've wanted to stop at...

La Super Rica
    622 N Milpas St
    Santa Barbara, CA 93103

This is what put it on my list of want to tries:

http://theeatenpath.com/2...s-st-santa-barbara-ca/

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 15:49:58 (permalink)
    I like Sherman's.  I've eaten there many, many times.  They have 2 locations in the Palm Springs area.

It's not outstanding, but it's good. 

Then again I might not know that it is outstanding I'm eating because I dream that when I get my first bite (or sip) at Carnegie (not the Las Vegas location) or Goodman's in New Jersey or Katz's in New York I'll then taste "outstanding".

Right now the bar is set at Langer's in Los Angeles.

Sherman's is a typical neighborhood Jewish Delicatessen.  Good food worth going back to when in the area.

If you're passing through Indio you might stop for ONE date shake at Shields.  It's so sweet and big it's enough for the three of you.  They'll even split it so you have your own cups.  You can have fun there sampling the different varieties of dates.

http://www.shieldsdategar...ields_dates_store.aspx

pnwchef
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 15:50:40 (permalink)
    mar52

Okay, I'm here.

La Super Rica
    622 N Milpas St
    Santa Barbara, CA 93103

Mar, I have been looking through Yelp, looking at all the Mexican Restaurants in San Diego. Of all the Mexican food pictures and descriptions I have read and looked at, La Super Rica looks the most Authentic, by far. The food looks wonderful, now I know why we are friends, you like shacks/dives toooooooooooooooooooooo.........Thanks Mar, that s on the list for sure........thx ..........Bill
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 15:57:37 (permalink)
    Bill, You could always pick us up on your way there.  (Hoping the train could take us home but know it's out of the question)

I love authentic, "fill the plate" ooey, gooey, hand made Mexican food. Did you see one bit of cilantro anywhere on their food?  It's authentic!

Yep, I think we're alike in the shack/dive department and I also think Mollie is a cutie pie.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6725
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 16:07:06 (permalink)
    Bill, another great place in Palm Springs is Tyler's Burgers.  I went there with RedPatti and Jeff and we had to wait over an hour but it was well worth it!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 16:21:22 (permalink)
    Tyler's does serve a great burger.  My Palm Springs condo wasn't far from there.  We'd drive all the way to Indio for a hot dog in those days.  (Gas was about 50¢ a gallon)
    iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 448
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 17:03:13 (permalink)
    It's off to Kohls for us today in a few and then to Smash Burger!  Smash burgers are GREAT!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 17:13:11 (permalink)
    pnwchef

mar52

Okay, I'm here.

La Super Rica
    622 N Milpas St
    Santa Barbara, CA 93103

Mar, I have been looking through Yelp, looking at all the Mexican Restaurants in San Diego. Of all the Mexican food pictures and descriptions I have read and looked at, La Super Rica looks the most Authentic, by far. The food looks wonderful, now I know why we are friends, you like shacks/dives toooooooooooooooooooooo.........Thanks Mar, that s on the list for sure........thx ..........Bill

Every one of the many times I've eaten al La Super Rica, Someone is sure to remind me that 
    Julia Child ate there very often.
    pnwchef
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 18:22:12 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

pnwchef

mar52

Okay, I'm here.

La Super Rica
    622 N Milpas St
    Santa Barbara, CA 93103

Every one of the many times I've eaten al La Super Rica, Someone is sure to remind me that 
    Julia Child ate there very often.

Twinwillow...Then it looks like I will be following in some good foot steps, hers, and yours.....Thanks for the SB site......................Bill
    pnwchef
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 18:27:00 (permalink)

lleechef, I saw pictures of Tyler's on yelp, I knew from the pictures, it was my kind a place............Thanks for the heads up.............Bill

Sundancer7..Thanks for the Chuck's site, I'll take a look at the menu.........
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/23 23:29:29 (permalink)
    Bill....I just emailed friends that have lived in SD for 30 yrs, they are shackey/divey Mexican food kind of people. I'll let you know what their suggestions are.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 553
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/24 01:02:41 (permalink)

Agree with mar52 on the date shake at Shield's Date Garden in Indio.  

We also like El Gallito (Mexican) in Cathedral City a little east of Palm Springs.     

The coconut cream pie is terrific at The Wheel Inn at the Cabazon Truck Stop (west of Palm Springs on
    Interstate 10).  The banana ceam pie there is also supposed to be great, but I had the coconut cream instead, which I generally pick when given the choice of those two at an eatery.     

El Indio (Mexican) in San Diego was excellent. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2012/09/24 01:06:16
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/24 01:47:43 (permalink)
    What is the exact date you'll be driving from PHX to Santa Barbara?
    The reason I ask is because there's a VERY interesting town right on the AZ - CA border----The Rock Capital of the World - Quartzite AZ!
    This town is unique!
    Famous for rocks & gems and VERY large RV, Rock & Gem and Car shows.
    They have the largest Flea Markets and Swap Meets I've ever seen!
    There are literally 1000's of Vendors there along with Food Vendors too.
    "The Season" runs from November to March with something going on almost every weekend.
    Since you're traveling on a Saturday, it's a good place to stop for Breakfast, early lunch. It's about 3 hours West of PHX.
    Look at some of the pictures on this link:
    http://www.qzchamber.com/town.html
    http://www.quartzsitervshow.com/
    The Chamber of Commerce office is in a Trailer to give you some idea of how Classy Quartzite is!
    From November to March, it's the largest concentration of  RV's, Campers, etc in the World!
    The Snowbirds, like a mob of chattering starlings settling into a too-small tree, start landing in November. By mid-January, the mechanical car counter at the Interstate 10 exit is ticking off 26,000 vehicles a day. Within weeks 175,000 RVs cram inches apart into 79 trailer parks, onto front yards, and spill out seven miles on either side of town. Every year more than a million people reset their internal navigation and drive from Everywhere, North America, to this western Arizona dot on the map. Luxury motor homes, fifth wheels, cab-over campers, trailers, and converted school buses plunk down on the same patch of land.
    It's a Hoot!
    It's been several years since we've been over there but there's a Western -style place on Main St. that has a good Breakfast. Don't remember the name.
    Also the Mountain Quail Cafe  490 Moon Mountain St. (Half mile North of Main St.) is famous for their Breakfasts, Cinnamon Rolls, Bread Pudding & Pies. Good Burgers too. Clean and friendly.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/mountain-quail-cafe-quartzsite
    Also - http://www.yelp.com/biz/q-town-cafe-quartzsite
    pnwchef
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/24 10:07:44 (permalink)

Glenn1234: Thanks for the picks, I have to get to El indio on this trip. Thanks for the tip on the cream pie,  the Restaurant could have a list of 150 cream pies and I would pick the Coconut cream every time. I think the thing you and I worry about is, if we pick another pie it may not be good. We know the Coconut cream will me great............Thx..Bill

Foodbme: Thanks for the heads up on how long of a drive the trip is to SB. That would have been to long of  a day, I would have missed out on a few good restaurant picks.
      Mollie is in a Rock club in our home town, this will be right up her alley. I planned on leaving Phoenix a few days early, so I could spend a day in Palm Springs. I'll need to check into Quartizite, if I keep to the new schedule, I would be traveling past there on the Thursday after Christmas. I can change my plans, or dbl back on Saturday morning before I travel over to Santa Barbara ??????????? what's your take..Would stopping there be good enough for Mollie, or is the Saturday flea mkt the big deal ????????? If I tell Mollie about this place, she will not sleep until then.............thx...Bill
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10178
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/24 10:20:23 (permalink)
    pnwchef
    I think there is a Bakery that Buffetbuster always talks about that could be on my Route ???

Sorry, but I'm not 100% sure which one you are referring to.  It could possibly be Hob Nob Hill, which we discussed in the San Diego thread.  Their homemade muffins and coffeecake in the morning are wonderful.  And I do talk about Hob Nob frequently.  The only other possible place could be Julian Pie Company, which locations in Julian and Santa Ysabel.

pnwchef
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/24 10:37:37 (permalink)
    BB, I just found it, "The Donut Man" in Glendora, California......I remember you and Mr Chips talking about it, I just couldn't remember the name.....Take care..................Bill
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/24 11:31:39 (permalink)
    pnwchef-
    I hate to tell you this, but I have never been to The Donut Man before.  But, I am glad that you found it! 
    pnwchef
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/24 13:02:04 (permalink)
    Buffetbuster, sorry it was Ayersian....

Hey Mr Chips, thanks for much for the props for Donut Man and Galco's, two of my favorite SoCal places! Some places that we visit kinda write the review themselves, and those two certainly fit the bill. Your praise for Donut Man is huge, coming from you who can have Voodoo Doughnuts anytime you wish!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/24 13:13:13 (permalink)
    No worries pnwchef.  I am already looking forward to your trip report!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Santa Barbara What would be your favorite Restaurant pick. 2012/09/25 02:03:16 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF,
    I think there will be enough rock & gem places and other places open that time of the year so that a double-back won't be necessary.
    Too bad you won't be there a week later. Molly would go nuts here:
    http://www.tysonwells.com.php5-16.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/events-services/rock-gem-show/
    Since she's such a Rock Hound, be sure to go to the Heard Museum when you're in Phoenix. They have some nice exhibits there with vast assortments of beautiful Turquoise Indian jewelry there.
    Holidays at the Heard
    Wednesday, December 26 to Monday, December 31, 2012
    Monday to Saturday: 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    Sundays: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

A Southwestern tradition, Holidays at the Heard is a great way to spend time with family and friends. Exciting performances and artist demonstrations introduce visitors to traditional and contemporary American Indian music, dance and art throughout the week. Included in general museum admission.
    Cultural performances: 11:30 a.m. & 1 p.m.
    Artist demonstrations: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
    The museum is beautiful during the Holidays.
    They have the largest Kachina Doll Collection in the World. Molly would get a kick out of that I think.
    The Courtyard Cafe is nice for Lunch. Try the Frybread Sundae!!!
    http://heard.org/visit/index.html
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1