Sarnia, Ont. --> Goderich --> Owen Sound --> Windsor

Author
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 547
2012/07/15 03:05:02 (permalink)

Sarnia, Ont. --> Goderich --> Owen Sound --> Windsor

Hi all.

We're doing a hockey trip on Labour Day weekend to see some hockey games, and I've reviewed the regional forums, but I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for the specific route we're taking.

We're going to be in Sarnia for lunch on Saturday and we're staying in Goderich, Ont., Saturday night (yes we know the 2011 tornado wiped out much of the town). We're heading north to Owen Sound on Sunday, and then back down to Windsor via London on Monday.

We like pretty much everything.

Thanks for any help!

9 Replies Related Threads

Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Sarnia, Ont. --> Goderich --> Owen Sound --> Windsor 2012/08/28 13:39:18 (permalink)
    Bump.

Heading up this weekend, and we're especially curious about Owen Sound, since we're going to stay there for two nights.

Again, we like pretty much everything.
    Tampico
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re:Sarnia, Ont. --> Goderich --> Owen Sound --> Windsor 2012/08/28 17:32:28 (permalink)
    You are heading to one of the most beautiful places on earth. I spent my summers on the Bruce Peninsula when young. If you have any spare time travel north up the Bruce Peninsula. I do remember a lot of Taverns along the way to Owen Sound that were not bad. They served Whit Fish. The Birth Place of Gordon Lightfoot is Owen Sound. The water is extremely clear in Georgian Bay.  
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    Re:Sarnia, Ont. --> Goderich --> Owen Sound --> Windsor 2012/08/28 21:41:40 (permalink)
    Considering all the times we used the Port Huron/Sarnia to Buffalo, NY cut-off to avoid going south around L Erie to get to and from relatives in central Michigan from our home in Upstate NY...that I would have a list of food-stops near the border  crossing, but NOOOOOO, we would stop in Niagra Falls (ONT) then again In the Frankenmuth area north of Flint after we reentered the USA. Never even bought gas in the Great White North !!  We did use the TIM Hortons in Niagra Falls as a coffee and pastry stop now and then.
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Sarnia, Ont. --> Goderich --> Owen Sound --> Windsor 2012/08/29 10:53:02 (permalink)
    Well, gas has always been significantly more expensive there, so that was probably a good call. 

We've been to Canada several times the past few years and most of our food experiences have been positive.
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Sarnia, Ont. --> Goderich --> Owen Sound --> Windsor 2012/09/04 14:02:56 (permalink)
    Not many reviews available in the Owen Sound area and few restaurants have Web sites up there, but the highlight of our trip was a place called Shorty's. The site is here: http://shortysonline.com/

We got the Thai wings, which were delightfully sticky and messy with great flavor and the bacon-wrapped scallops which were incredibly fresh. The bacon was outstanding as well.

And we split the Rocky's burger, which is a huge burger with pulled pork, bacon, cheddar and chipotle aioli. Talk about flavorful. At $16 we were expecting a lot, and it delivered. One of the best burgers I've ever had.

Excellent beer and mixed drink selection as well.

We did dinner at the Best Western's restaurant -- Bishop's Landing -- which was also quite good. The highlight there is the view. The outside tables overlook the water and the view is breathtaking. The food is pretty good, too, but it's a touch pricy. Not outrageous, mind you. We'd go back for sure. 

Like Tampico said, one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Everyone who talked about the place had just gushed about it, so our expectations were almost unfairly high, yet Owen Sound delivered. I can't wait to go back.
    Tampico
    Hamburger
    Re:Sarnia, Ont. --> Goderich --> Owen Sound --> Windsor 2012/09/04 14:55:54 (permalink)
    I love Brador Beer, Extra Stock, and Molson Golden. Next time you go make sure you leave time to head up the Bruce Peninsula to Wiarton, Lions Head and Tobermory. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=2RI5l_nX-SY&vq=medium#t=13
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Sarnia, Ont. --> Goderich --> Owen Sound --> Windsor 2012/09/04 15:06:36 (permalink)
    We've already decided we're going back again in the next couple of years (possibly 2013), and we're definitely hitting the Bruce Peninsula.

We did visit Inglis Falls, which was very cool.
    Tampico
    Hamburger
    Re:Sarnia, Ont. --> Goderich --> Owen Sound --> Windsor 2012/09/04 15:50:47 (permalink)
    Its hard to explain but, the water is so clear you can see huge boulders that look like they are right under the surface when indeed they are 30 or 40 feet below. It is so dark at night you can see a sky that you have never seen before. The air is so clean. The fishing is amazing in some of the inner rivers and streams. Many different types of Salmon and Trout.  The area remains just about the same as it was in the 70s.  A step back in time. If I could find a way to make a living there I would move tomorrow. Manitoulin Island a ferry ride away from Tobermory is a great experience also. It is truly one of North Americas hidden treasures. My parents had a cottage on the Bruce until I turned 22. We went up from the Detroit area two weekends a month for over 15 years. I have lived in San Diego, Eureka Ca, Denver, Ohio, Northern Michigan,  and traveled all over and the Bruce Peninsula is my favorite.  
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Sarnia, Ont. --> Goderich --> Owen Sound --> Windsor 2012/09/23 21:51:55 (permalink)
    Tampico

The Birth Place of Gordon Lightfoot is Owen Sound.

I thought Gordon Lightfoot was born in Orillia, to the east.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Lightfoot
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1