Sausage gravy recipe ....

Author
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
2003/12/15 14:35:26 (permalink)

Sausage gravy recipe ....

Forgive me if I should be posting this on the Breakfast or Sausage boards folks. Friend and I were talking about various eating experiences whilst abroad and she confessed to a hankering for biscuits and sausage gravy. I have to agree , when well made its one of the tastiest things in the world so I'd like to make some for the both of us next time we're working together. Biscuits I have gotten the hang of, being not dissimilar to scones, but its the gravy ...

I get the general gist of how to make it, but here in the UK I dont think our " sausagemeat " is quite the equivalent of US bulk sausage, I think Ill have to buy good quality link sausages and crumble them up. I know I could Google this one and come up with a zillion recipes, but I figure I'd ask the experts :) Im more looking for good proportions, hints and do's/donts than accurate recipes as such, as Im more the " throw a handful of this and a pinch of that " fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants type cook.

Thanks in advance .....

13 Replies Related Threads

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Sausage gravy recipe .... 2003/12/15 14:47:45 (permalink)
    I use one roll of Jimmy Dean regular and 1 roll of Jimmy Dean hot sausage. Crumble and cook in a large cast iron skillet until done and crumbly. Remove from skillet.

Add enough bacon grease to the skillet for the amount of gravy you wish to make. When the grease is hot, wisk in enough flour to make a "roux" - rule of thumb is 1:1 fat/flour ratio.
    Salt and pepper the flour mixture, stirring constantly until mixed and bubbling - the amount of time you cook it is up to you - just keep stirring!

Slowly wisk in evaporated milk or whole milk - I use a combination of both and let it simmer til desired consistency. Stir in the sausage and ladle over hot biscuits.

There you have it - straight from a Texas kitchen. Good luck!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Sausage gravy recipe .... 2003/12/15 14:50:24 (permalink)
    I am not a expert sausage and gravy maker but here is how I do it.

I use medium hot sausage which is sold here in the USA by the pound. I fry it which leaves you with quite a bit of sausage grease. I pour most of off leaving only a few table spoons. I add about two table spoons of flour while the grease is still hot and I stir it until it gets as brown as I want and then I add milk slowly while stirring until it gets to the thickness I desire.

I have screwed it up several times until I finally got it the way I like it. I also add black pepper at the end.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    vinelady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Sausage gravy recipe .... 2003/12/15 14:58:54 (permalink)
    I prefer to use chorizo sausage.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Sausage gravy recipe .... 2003/12/15 16:08:46 (permalink)
    This is daily eatin' in the south for many folk....love it...
    Lone Star
    RE: Sausage gravy recipe .... 2003/12/15 16:15:36 (permalink)
    I probably make it once every 3 months, usually for supper. Someone will say "How about sausage and gravy for dinner?". About that often.

I rarely make it for breakfast. It is a good cold night supper.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Sausage gravy recipe .... 2003/12/15 18:17:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

I use one roll of Jimmy Dean regular and 1 roll of Jimmy Dean hot sausage. Crumble and cook in a large cast iron skillet until done and crumbly. Remove from skillet.

Add enough bacon grease to the skillet for the amount of gravy you wish to make. When the grease is hot, wisk in enough flour to make a "roux" - rule of thumb is 1:1 fat/flour ratio.
    Salt and pepper the flour mixture, stirring constantly until mixed and bubbling - the amount of time you cook it is up to you - just keep stirring!

Slowly wisk in evaporated milk or whole milk - I use a combination of both and let it simmer til desired consistency. Stir in the sausage and ladle over hot biscuits.

There you have it - straight from a Texas kitchen. Good luck!

Cream gravy is one of the few things that I'll say I do well. It's one of the first things my mother taught me to make, and I've made it since I was a kid.

I can't really improve on Lone Star's method, although she uses a lot more sausage than I do.

One thing I want to say (and the main reason for my posting on this topic) is that making gravy is not as easy as it sounds, so don't be discouraged if you aren't happy with your first try. (If you are though, then WONDERFUL! ) It literally took me years to develop the "feel" necessary to turn out consistently good gravy. And you also have to develop the skills to "save" a screw-up right in the middle of making a batch.

Trust me, when making gravy, it's REAL easy to screw up.

All I'm saying is, "Hang in there!" Please let us know how things turn out.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Sausage gravy recipe .... 2003/12/15 18:45:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by vinelady

I prefer to use chorizo sausage.

Vinelady,
    Mercy, that sounds good. That's a brilliant idea. If any of y'all try it, get back here and let us know how it turned out, please.
    You make me think of the idea of using a real good, garlicky kielbasa similarly. Or maybe even a Portuguese chourico (we can find Gaspar's from Massachusetts here at Publix).
    Gracious, the possibilities are endless. All this influx (in the South where I am, anyway) of recent immigrants is going to cause Southern cuisine to adapt. Remember, our forebears adapted to what was locally available lo those many generations ago... it had ought to be an ongoing and dynamic, not a static, thing.
    Seriously For Once, Ort. Carlton in Warmer-Tonight-For-Once Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. How about a dash of curry powder in that sausage gravy? Now THAT'S an idea!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Sausage gravy recipe .... 2003/12/15 18:59:13 (permalink)
    The type of sausage you use depends on taste. Perhaps it is what I grew up on but I like just plain on country sausage seasoned with sage and some hot pepper.

Grand dad use to grind his own and it was great but grand dad has long passed and I buy East Tennessee Pride now.

This type of sausage gravy over a hot bisquit and even hot cornbread is one of my favorite meals.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Sausage gravy recipe .... 2003/12/15 19:57:16 (permalink)
    I like gravy over white bread, too. Especially a good brown, or rich turkey giblet gravy. Mmmm. Mmmm. Sausage gravy on biscuits is good too, though sometimes I just prefer an old-fashioned, country, creamy milk gravy heavy with black pepper. Like the kind that goes with country fried cubed steak, or just on it's own with bacon drippings. I love gravy. Period.
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sausage gravy recipe .... 2003/12/16 11:12:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for all your replies and so fast too !

I think what Ill do is buy some really good quality peppery butchers link sausage, hike em out of their skins and maybe add some crushed hot peppers to taste as I go along. My late grandfather was a butcher and used to make his own sausages too, so happily Ive grown up knowing what the proper stuff should taste like [:P]

I will be doing a couple of test runs before I feed some to Jo, and dont worry I dont get discouraged if something doesnt turn out right the first time. I am mostly an instinctive cook and my middle name has to be Trial and Error. Jo and I both have to watch what we eat somewhat, but we have weekly treats and its getting pretty cold here sooo its definitely time for comfort food.
    Lone Star
    RE: Sausage gravy recipe .... 2003/12/16 11:20:17 (permalink)
    Last night I made chicken-fried venison steaks, mashed potatoes, and cream gravy. It was very good ir I do say so myself.

Bushie is right - I have made some bad gravy in my time! It will usually tast okay, but be too thin or too thick. Trial and error will add up to some mighty fine cream gravy.
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Sausage gravy recipe .... 2003/12/16 15:37:24 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Last night I made chicken-fried venison steaks, mashed potatoes, and cream gravy. It was very good ir I do say so myself.

Mm now chicken fried venison, that sounds like a terrific idea. And dont get me started on mashed potatoes. Sometimes, when winter hits and my body screams for me to hibernate, all I want to do is curl up for the next four months with a big fluffy duvet and an even bigger and fluffier bowl of warm and perpetually lasting prime grade mashed potatoes[:P]
    Lone Star
    RE: Sausage gravy recipe .... 2003/12/16 16:01:13 (permalink)
    The door is always open - just come in and blend in with the kids.

We may have to go get another deer though.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1