Savannah Restaurant Week

Author
sudie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 236
2012/01/26 16:06:24 (permalink)

Savannah Restaurant Week

Restaurant Week in Savannah is January 27-February 5.  We have reservations at 700 Drayton and Alligator Soul, two places we've never tried before.  Will report back.

11 Replies Related Threads

sudie
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Savannah Restaurant Week 2012/01/31 10:31:03 (permalink)
    We ate at Alligator Soul last night...$30 for 3 courses during Restaurant Week.  I'd have to say it was a bargain, especially compared to the prices on the regular menu which were high, but the menu looked good.  We started with their Belvedere martini flight...3 small martinis on a tray.  It was a good presentation, and we split them.  There was a cosmo, dry and citrus-y, not sweet as some I've had and better than I expected.  We also had a dirty martini and a citrus infused one. All very good.  My husband opted for the house salad, which he really liked (I loved the crouton I stole from him).  I had what was purported to be a cup of shrimp and grits, but in reality it was a large serving.  It was nicely spiced and full of sausage and a few nice sized shrimp.  We both got smoked roast beef for the main entree.  It came with a horseradish sauce, mashed potatoes and thin al dente green beans.  The beef was very flavorful but a small pile of very thin slices, not what I expected, but it was very good.  Mine was medium rare as I wanted it, my husband's a little more done (also his choice).  For dessert, they had a small white/dark chocolate mousse cake, the mousse balanced on a nice piece of chocolate cake.  It was delicious!  The only wrong note was that the service seemed a little uneven and poorly paced.  Our waiter was great, but the timing of the drinks ( a very long wait) and the other courses could have been better.  Looking around, the service at everyone's table was proceeding at about the same pace.  We weren't in a rush, however, and it was a good evening and dinner at a good price.  On to 700 Drayton tomorrow night!
    sudie
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Savannah Restaurant Week 2012/02/07 19:54:21 (permalink)
    700 Drayton was definitely the winner.  It is a beautiful dining room, high ceilings, exquisite window treatments  and wonderfully paneled walls.  We started with fried green tomatoes and a wonderful presentation of she-crab soup, probably among the best I've ever had.  My husband had a small filet with blue cheese, and I opted for the scallops, wonderfully tender and nicely spiced.  Dessert was a blackberry cream brûlée, really nicely done.  All this was $30.00 apiece...we'll come back in a few weeks for the regular menu.  Highly recommended.
    chickenplucker
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 203
    Re:Savannah Restaurant Week 2012/02/07 21:23:09 (permalink)
    If you ever have the chance check out Garibaldi. The Crispy Scored Flounder is awesome. Every restaurant in the area has a version of it but they excel at it.  PS you made 2 wonderful choices...

http://garibaldisavannah.com/flash.html
    post edited by chickenplucker - 2012/02/07 21:26:11
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:Savannah Restaurant Week 2012/02/07 21:47:22 (permalink)
    We ate at 700 Drayton in December.  It was wonderful.

However,if you ever come to  Savannah again,  you must try  a real Roadfood experience.  It is called "Sweet Potatoes".  The food is awesome and it is dirt cheap!
    chickenplucker
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Savannah Restaurant Week 2012/02/07 21:52:38 (permalink)
    I have to agree Greymo. Good call.
    sudie
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Savannah Restaurant Week 2012/02/08 10:07:02 (permalink)
    We are fortunate enough to be on Tybee Island for several weeks this winter.  Restaurant Week was our foray into fine dining.  We have several Roadfoodish places on our list to try.  Sweet Potatoes Kitchen is one of our favorites.  We have been several times in years past and I suspect we'll hit it again before we have to go back home. We've already been to Green Truck and Wiley's Championship BBQ, as well as Sundae Cafe, Social Club, North Beach Grill, and The Breakfast Club on Tybee.  We want to try SOL, Al Salaam Deli, New Sisters of the South, Sandfly BBQ, among others.  I appreciate the tip about Garibaldi's.  I loved the scored grouper at the Old Pink House last year, part of the same restaurant group as Garibald's.  We'll keep eating and try to remember to keep reporting!
    sudie
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Savannah Restaurant Week 2012/02/08 10:14:59 (permalink)
    Oh, and on an anti-Roadfood note, I read in the Savannah paper this AM that Joe's Crab Shack is coming to River Street!
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 410
    Re:Savannah Restaurant Week 2012/02/08 10:52:23 (permalink)
    sudie

Oh, and on an anti-Roadfood note, I read in the Savannah paper this AM that Joe's Crab Shack is coming to River Street!

That's blasphemy!!!
    chickenplucker
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Savannah Restaurant Week 2012/02/08 21:13:06 (permalink)
    A suggestion for lunch sudie !!!! Used to be on Posey Street. New and nicer location downtown.
    http://www.ranchoalegrecuban.com/intro.html
    chickenplucker
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Savannah Restaurant Week 2012/02/08 22:24:00 (permalink)
    Also just across the street from Sweet Potatoes there are 2 (??) BBQ restaurants. A Shanes Rib Shack and The Smoke Station. The Smoke Station does a tremendous job with ribs and the owner is a deep water fishing guide. One of the best in the south. He buys fresh fish daily and always has nightly off menu specials on them.

chickenplucker
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Savannah Restaurant Week 2012/02/08 22:31:50 (permalink)
    One more and I will rest sudie. If you and the husband dont mind takeout and want something to take to one of the beautiful downtown parks I am about to let you in on a local secret. The best fried shrimp in Savannah and thats saying a mouthful.
    David Cha Crab Seafood House
    1218 Montgomery Street, Savannah
    912-232-4795
    in the West Victorian district
    This is in the edge of the hood so lunchtime is best. They dont cook em until you place your order.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1