Scam

Author
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2099
2012/11/25 09:22:29 (permalink)

Scam

Yesterday morning about 11:15, FedX pulled up  in my yard with an overnight package. In it was 2 US Postal money orders for $995 each and instructions to test Western Union services as a Secrete Shopper by sending the money less my $200 fee to an address in the Philippines.   ... 20 mins later, my local Post Office was taking custody of the foraged Money Orders.  These looked good and would fool a lot of people, but to me the colors were slightly darker than real USPS Money Orders.  I have seen and used USPS Money orders before and know what one looks like.

Anyway, I knew if these were valid, the Local Post Office would cash them and I would have the money 'in-hand' before 12 noon when the office closes.   By going through my Bank per instruction of the letter, it would be 3 to 4 days before the money would be credited to my account or be notified the money orders were forgeries.   ... An immediate verification if the money order is a forgery or not.

Now about a week & half ago, I received and email asking me to do a 'secret shopper' job at Walmart & Western Union.   ... I have done legitimate secret shopper jobs 3 or 4 years ago, but found the pay was not worth the effort.   The email headers check out to be good and the question  form did not ask for any confidential banking info, so I replied asking for more details.   ... FedX drives up in my yard with a $45 overnight letter.  ... Alarms, Alarms, Alarms  ... The Fedx driver and I stand there joking FedX is the only one that made any money on this deal while reading the letter.

About the foraged Money Orders:
  • The over all colors are darker, but close
  • the left hand watermark is very visible; while the real watermark can only be seen with back lighting
  • the vertical repeating 'USPS' watermark on the left hand watermark is missing
  • the vertical silver metal strip is sightly wider than the real one
  • the zip code of the issuing Post Office is none existent 
  • the package was sent from Delaware, while the Money Orders (by the zip code) were from somewhere in Postal Center/hub 3 (Ga, Al, Ms, Fl, Tn, SC; first number of the zip)
I get home from the post Office and there is email instructing me to process the Money Orders & Western Union money order immediately; there is another job for me on Sunday as soon as I fill out the Secret Shopper report.

Darn, ... why can't these idiots send REAL USPS Money Orders????    I may be born & raised in the South, but I didn't fall off a 'turnip truck' yesterday.   ...

Anyway, if any RoadFooders gets a USPS Money Orders or any Money Order (especially large & unexpected money orders), take it directly to the local issuing office to verify and/or cash.   Do Not put these through your bank.

24 Replies Related Threads

edwmax
    Re:Scam 2012/11/25 09:23:16 (permalink)
    Any one else have a close call with a Scam?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4117
    Re:Scam 2012/11/25 09:55:03 (permalink)
    Several months ago I received a very official-looking (including the bank name in the sending address) e-mail from one of our banks asking me to change my password.  Conveniently, they gave me a link within the e-mail with which to do this.

Of course, it was an attempt at fraud.  Two days later there was a major news story about how a "highly sophisticated hack" thought to originate in Iran had been made on some major U.S. banks.  Yikes!  Looks like I dodged a bullet!
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3515
    Re:Scam 2012/11/25 10:09:09 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Several months ago I received a very official-looking (including the bank name in the sending address) e-mail from one of our banks asking me to change my password.  Conveniently, they gave me a link within the e-mail with which to do this.

Of course, it was an attempt at fraud.  Two days later there was a major news story about how a "highly sophisticated hack" thought to originate in Iran had been made on some major U.S. banks.  Yikes!  Looks like I dodged a bullet!

I got one of those, too! Except for the part where they chose a bank at which I used to have an account, but had closed it about four years ago. Even if it had been from my bank, I get enough email from mine that I know better. Mine NEVER includes a link in their emails, but rather sends me an email telling me they've sent me a message via their secure online banking site and I should go look at it. I'm also skeptical enough I don't look just at the sender address printed on an email (which you can make say anything you want), but I open it and look at the details. Usually that gives it away, as my bank certainly can afford its own server and doesn't typically use hotmail.

We did have to bail my grandmother out on a couple of scams before she died, luckily none too bad. Mostly she would cash the "rebate" checks from "the phone company", which would then switch her service over to some company no one had ever heard of and didn't want. We finally solved that problem when my mother became her official representative in all matters financial so she couldn't cash checks any more.
    post edited by felix4067 - 2012/11/25 10:10:30
    edwmax
    Re:Scam 2012/11/25 10:23:29 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

I get these all the time, usually indicating a Bank & account that I never had.   These are easily verified by looking at the email headers for the sender.   The sender name never matches the Bank's name or network name.    ... Even the FBI scam email is never sent from the correct FBI government network.

In the first email to me, there was nothing that stood out as being a scam, and since I have done 'secret shopper' type jobs before I asked for more details of the job.   The first email just indicated it was a store and customer service review & report.  That was no indication of a large sum of money transfer.
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/11/25 10:29:57
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4612
    Re:Scam 2012/11/25 11:38:54 (permalink)
    My uncle fell for the "Hi we're from Microsoft and noticed a problem with your computer ..." telephone scam.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6878
    Re:Scam 2012/11/25 12:25:47 (permalink)
    Nah, nothing for me.  All I own is a cat and Michael.  Nobody calls us.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    Re:Scam 2012/11/25 14:53:40 (permalink)
    LOL, lleechef!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Scam 2012/11/25 15:58:08 (permalink)
    I get emails daily for secret shoppers, I just send them to spam.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18483
    Re:Scam 2012/11/25 16:02:38 (permalink)
    Sorry lleechef, I got one yesterday purporting to be from my bank telling me there had been several attempts to log on to my accounds using different passwords, and that I should click on a link to change my password. I reported it to my bank and forwarded the e-mail to their fraud unit.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Scam 2012/11/25 17:40:25 (permalink)
    edwmax

Yeah, I once bought fried chicken at KFC!

edwmax
    Re:Scam 2012/11/25 18:34:12 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

edwmax

...   ...  that's good !!!

I haven't been back to the local KFC since they tried to charge extra for the sides already included with 3pc meal.  It total over $8 for the meal.  The cashier insisted the sides were not included.  ...
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6379
    Re:Scam 2012/11/25 18:42:58 (permalink)
    Simple rule. Never click on a web link from an unsolicited e-mail.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5099
    Re:Scam 2012/11/26 08:43:51 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Sorry lleechef, I got one yesterday purporting to be from my bank telling me there had been several attempts to log on to my accounds using different passwords, and that I should click on a link to change my password. I reported it to my bank and forwarded the e-mail to their fraud unit.
    Maybe you should check lleechef's browser history...
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1314
    Re:Scam 2012/11/26 09:19:50 (permalink)
    I almost got taken in by a phishing email; it was a complaint that the item had never arrived on Ebay. By coincidence, it was similar (but not identical) to an item that I had just shipped out the week before, and I didn't read it carefully enough. I clicked on the link without hovering first, but when my browser didn't put in my user name in the login screen, I looked, and found that I was on a different site. After that, I never, under any circumstances, clicked on a link in an email without checking it first.

One annoyance is that sometimes legitimate business emails send you to sites other than their own (like Surveymonkey), so even if you like the business and want to help out, you have to take extra time for due diligence.

Bart
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Scam 2012/11/26 09:37:58 (permalink)
    I have been getting emails from people I know that has only a link to open up. I know that none of these people would ever send me just a link. I open up the "more details" behind their email name and there is always another, unknown name behind their name. If you go to reply, it goes to that unknown name. This only happens with people who have Yahoo accounts. I have never opened any of the links.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Scam 2012/11/26 11:33:02 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

edwmax

I got married.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4534
    Re:Scam 2012/11/26 12:23:04 (permalink)
    Hook, Line AND Sinker!
    edwmax
    Re:Scam 2012/11/26 13:17:48 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

chewingthefat

edwmax

I got married.

I can fully understand that answer, I got rid first wife 35 years ago.  
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1019
    Re:Scam 2012/11/26 14:30:23 (permalink)
    I don't know if any companies still do it, but some finance companies used to send out unsolicited checks to people that they could actually cash, but of course they'd have to pay the money back.
    My ex-mother in law would cash them, then pretend she didn't know she had to pay it back, that she thought she "won" the money. So she'd turn an attempt to lure people into a high interest loan into free money for herself.
    Of course, she'd brag about it right in front of me, thinking it was the funniest thing ever, while never offering to pay me back all the money she owed me. In short, she didn't do it to put one over on anyone, but because she was greedy and didn't want to have to work for a living. If she knew how to use a computer, she'd probably be in jail for fraud right now.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Scam 2012/11/27 08:13:31 (permalink)
    Luckily, I will not have to deal with such trivialities as scams once my $24.6 million "fee" is deposited in my bank account courtesy of Prince Makere Dzakpe of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.  On a more serious note, I have come to expect the fake USPS/Western Union scam anytime I post something for sale on craigslist.  I guess it must work enough times to make it worth their while to send them out.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7959
    Re:Scam 2012/11/28 22:12:55 (permalink)

Wells Fargo called me a couple of times today. First asking me if I wrote a $449.00 check to a Briana Pearce. No was my answer. Well Briana was at the Culver City Fox Hills branch trying to cash the check I wrote her.

I only write checks to pay bills and my checkbook does not leave my house.

The manager of the branch said she supplied a picture ID and when it was noticed on the computer that I had a flag on my account (my purse was stolen a little over a year ago) she told Briana that she was calling me. That's when Briana bolted for the door.

I was told to go to the branch tomorrow because my account has been compromised and that they're printing checks with my information on them.

Then call number two was that their guard caught Briana as she was running out. They said that she said she works as a caregiver for me!!!!

I told them... no, she did not work for me, I'm unemployed AND I did not write her a check.

They were calling the police.

Now the unemployed person has to BUY new checks! Damn.
    Like · · Unfollow Post · 2 seconds ago
    iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 475
    Re:Scam 2012/11/29 15:25:31 (permalink)
    You just cant seem to catch a break! 
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1314
    Re:Scam 2012/12/05 12:28:00 (permalink)
    edwmax

You realize, of course, that there is no statute of limitations on murder.

Bart
    edwmax
    Re:Scam 2012/12/05 13:08:50 (permalink)
    bartl

edwmax

You realize, of course, that there is no statute of limitations on murder.

Bart

That would have been the less expensive method of getting rid of her.   Heck, I would have gotten out of jail a little more than 25 years ago.  ... darn, live and learn ...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1