Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks

Author
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
2013/12/02 15:57:10 (permalink)

Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks

Talk about bad timing - not that there is a good time to have a restaurant hit by a car.  We haven't had too many of these incidents lately, although there was a rash for a while, including the Tim Horton's down the street from Schwabl's.   I will miss being able to go there and get my roast beef fix.

http://www.wivb.com/news/local/schwabls-closed-after-car-hits-building

27 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10515
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2013/12/04 22:53:53 (permalink)
    BT-
    Thanks for posting this.  I saw the photos on Schwabl's Facebook page and poor lady really did a number on them.  Hard to believe that this isn't the first time they have been hit with a car.  Thankfully, nobody got badly injured. 
    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1038
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2013/12/05 14:48:02 (permalink)
    You mean a car weck?  Again?  We were there a couple of years ago.  About a week afterwards someone posted here about Schwabl's building getting hit by a car. 

Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2013/12/06 15:46:07 (permalink)
    This is the first time I recall that they were hit by a car, so I did not know about any previous occasions.  Last year we had a rash of cars hitting buildings, but it has been quiet until now.  I also saw the Facebook pictures, including the sign about being hit by an elderly driver.  That brought out some comments about elderly drivers, both for and against testing them at a certain age.  I drove by the other night and saw men working outside, so they are trying to get back in business soon.  I certainly hope so, for Schwabl's sakes and for the customers.
    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1038
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2013/12/06 21:36:07 (permalink)
    Buffalo Tarheel

This is the first time I recall that they were hit by a car, so I did not know about any previous occasions.  Last year we had a rash of cars hitting buildings, but it has been quiet until now.  I also saw the Facebook pictures, including the sign about being hit by an elderly driver.  That brought out some comments about elderly drivers, both for and against testing them at a certain age.  I drove by the other night and saw men working outside, so they are trying to get back in business soon.  I certainly hope so, for Schwabl's sakes and for the customers.

Wait a minute.  I just searched it. It was YOU who posted it on 10/19/11.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=672275&high=Schwabl's
    post edited by plb - 2014/02/09 12:08:47
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2013/12/06 21:44:52 (permalink)
    Now that's funny!  I am so busted.  Actually, I had forgotten about the other posting, which shows where my memory is going.  And you did a much better job of searching the site than I have been able to do.

I did see that the lead story tonight was about the sign in front of Schwabl's stating they were closed because of careless driving.  Some of the driver's friends and relatives took offense to that characterization of her, so the owner toned down the words.  But he was still unhappy about having his restaurant knocked off line (again, it seems).
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2013/12/07 08:04:57 (permalink)
    Another risk for small business owners...and then to have "friends and relatives" knock your freedom of speech rights after shutting down your business and perhaps keeping employees from paychecks is just so wrong.

I just had my building, 3 feet to the right of front door, hit by a driver.  The repair has not begun and it's been 5 weeks this coming Monday.  After the accident was taken care of and the fire, police, paramedics and tow truck was gone we needed a few things.  First we need an emergency inspection, then and emergency repair, then a structural engineering study, then the drawings, then the GC's bidding process began, then permits, then insurance negotiation, then acceptance of bids by insurance, ordering of steel and materials.  I am hoping for completion by Christmas which would be about 7 weeks.  Included in all this is the disruption to my staff and myself as there will be no compensation for all the hours we have spent working on this unexpected project! 

I was fortunate in that no one was injured, the building is repairable, no business was lost, no employees effected...but it stopped short by one inch of a plate glass window behind which an office staff meeting was taking place! 

I hope they stand their ground and put up anything they want on the sign! 
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2013/12/07 16:04:54 (permalink)
    ChiTownDiner,

I agree with you completely.  The owner was on the local news and reminded people that he is now out of business at the busiest time of the year, and 27 employees are out of work also.  It will probably be after Christmas before he is back in business again.  I am sure that the person who hit the restaurant did not intend to do so and feels bad about it, but the fact is that she did a lot of damage.  Where is the sympathy for the people who are out of work?

I believe they will be adding bollards to prevent damage from future accidents.  The town seems to be working with them, but this is New York State, so you can never count on anything happening in a reasonable amount of time.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2013/12/07 16:20:14 (permalink)
    Wait til they factor in the bs factor...now you need this, where is this form, on and on ad nauseam!  Hope they make it back quickly as I really loved my visit there once upon a time!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/02/08 21:22:55 (permalink)
    I was under the assumption that this would be a quick fix and that Schwabl's would be back open rather shortly.  Turns out, that wasn't the case as they are still closed, per their Facebook page.  It seems some things need to be brought up to code, including things they were originally grandfathered in. 

Here is hoping that they get everything fixed up and can reopen real soon! 
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/04/04 08:07:22 (permalink)
    I will be driving through Buffalo tonight on my way to Rochester.  Schwabl's would definitely be my stop for a beef on weck fix, but they have not been able to reopen yet.  From the most recent update, it looks like it won't be until mid-April.  This has to be such a disappointment for this great Roadfood restaurant and their employees.

As for me, it looks like dinner will be at Eckl's tonight.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 718
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/04/04 09:27:56 (permalink)
    buffetbusterI will be driving through Buffalo tonight on my way to Rochester.  Schwabl's would definitely be my stop for a beef on weck fix, but they have not been able to reopen yet.  From the most recent update, it looks like it won't be until mid-April.  This has to be such a disappointment for this great Roadfood restaurant and their employees.

As for me, it looks like dinner will be at Eckl's tonight.
    Thanks for posting this bb.  We'll probably be visiting our nephew at St. Bonaventure sometime late April to mid May, and we planned on going to Buffalo for both Schwabl's and the Anchor Bar.

If Schwabl's isn't open by then, Eckl's looks fantastic.  If Schwabl's is open, it'll be a beef on weck taste-off at both.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/04/04 09:31:33 (permalink)
    Now that's how you do it eruby!  Hopefully, Schwabl's will be back open in time for your visit.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/04/04 09:39:40 (permalink)
    BB,  By any chance,  are you going east of Rochester, or is that your final destination?   There is a wonderful diner in Oswego, NY that you must try sometime.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/04/04 09:49:36 (permalink)
    Greymo-
    Rochester is my final destination for the weekend.  But you know who gets to that are (Syracuse/Oswego) occasionally is Billyboy.  Can you tell us about the diner and maybe he can check it out and possibly review it for Roadfood.
    Ed Face
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/04/04 11:29:25 (permalink)
    I believe the diner in Oswego is Wade's Diner. They have amazing omelets and homemade cinnamon raisin bread that they grill, not toast. Try to sit at the counter if possible.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/04/04 12:32:27 (permalink)
    Ed, you are right.

Wade's Diner should have been in Roadfood years ago. It has a fun history and is a real breakfast destination.  When I lived in that area, we went there for breakfast any Saturdays that we were not traveling. It was fun standing in line chatting with the other people and even more fun as we got in the door and could watch the wizard of a grill man in action.

My big problem, each time, was whether to order the cinnamon raisin french toast or the wonderful ham and cheese omelette. They have their own little bakery right there and bake all of their breads, the cinnamon raisin being the most popular.  I was last there two years ago and was happy to find it the same.  I wish we had a great breakfast place like that around here!

http://wadesdineroswego.com/
    post edited by Greymo - 2014/04/04 12:44:00
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/07/01 10:54:42 (permalink)
    The bad news:  Here we are in July and Schwabl's still isn't open!  The good news is that they updated their Facebook page this morning and they are getting very close.  As soon as they announce their reopening, I will post it here.

Just in time too, since I am a few weeks away from driving my nephew to a week long camp in Rochester.  And if Schwabl's is open, it will be a must stop as we drive past Buffalo.
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/07/01 10:55:56
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7965
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/07/01 11:19:06 (permalink)
    buffetbuster, I hope they open in time for your to Rochester.

Not being able to visit Schwabl's on my trip to Buffalo 2 1/2 months ago was a big disappointment. Although the Beef on Weck at Bar Bill was very good, nothing beats the atmosphere at Schwabl's
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/07/04 22:45:29 (permalink)
    I drove by the other day, and they are still closed, but with a sign stating that they wil be open soon.  I never throught that they would be closed this long. I too will be watching their FB page for the opening date.

Buffetbuster,

If you are looking for an alternative to the hot roast beef sandwich on white bread from Schwabl's, I have found a place nearby that is very good.  The Olive Branch is a couple of miles up Union Road and is a very good diner.  I have found their hot roast beef sandwich with Greek potatoes to be outstanding.  Of course, it is not beef on weck, so it is a substitute for only one variation from Schwabl's.  For that, Bar Bill or Eckl's might be a better substitute.  Here is hoping that Schwabl's opens soon - from someone suffering serious withdrawal pains.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3323
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/07/05 05:47:15 (permalink)
    This must be the week of driving into a business. On Monday, some one jumped the curb, took out a handicap hand railing, and took out the entire front window of a United States post office in a small northern Wisconsin town and I'm the owner of the building. Fortunately, no one was injured.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/07/05 07:32:38 (permalink)
    BT-
    Thanks so much for the tip on Olive Branch.  It definitely sounds like a place I will be interested in trying in future trips.  My mother and nephew will be with me and neither one has ever had beef on weck before.  So, if for some reason Schwabl's is not open, Eckl's will be the choice, which is a really good place for a back up plan.

Since we are also discussing other Nickel City restaurants, have you ever been to Peter K's in Cheektowaga?  They claim to be the home of the stuffed potato pancake!  Hopefully, I haven't asked you that before!
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/07/05 07:52:53 (permalink)
    BB,

I hope Schwabl's is open by the time of your trip.  Eckl's is a good back-up, as you said.

I have not been to Peter K's, but it sounds like a good place to try.  Thanks for the tip!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/07/31 10:18:17 (permalink)
    Our trip to Buffalo/Rochester got cancelled, but we wouldn't have been able to eat at Schwabl's anyway, since they haven't reopened yet.  It sounded like at the beginning of the month that it was imminent, but they must have run into some last minute snags.  For their sake, I sure hope they open soon..... 
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/08/25 17:36:43 (permalink)
    Saw it on their Facebook page today, Schwabl's is finally open again!  Best of luck to them.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/08/25 17:52:17 (permalink)
    I also just saw the Facebook message that Schwabl's is back open after 9 months.  I am looking forward to goin back soon.  When they closed, I never thought it would be so long before reopening.  I hope no one else takes them down, although maybe the moat and alligaters will protect them better - OK, no moat or gaters are there.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/10/27 21:18:11 (permalink)
    We had lunch on Saturday at Schwabl's, which was the first visit since they reopened.  The inside looks exactly the same, though it appears the exterior isn't completely finished. 

Our table right next to the carving station

allowed for close ups of Paul, who was more than happy to let us photograph him in action.  The food was just as great as ever! 

The big surprise was when I spotted roast beef on weck poutine as an appetizer.  Ok, we are close enough to the Canadian border to give this a shot. 

I have never been a fan of crinkle cut fries and they were the weak spot on this dish.  The cheese curds could also have been squeakier.  What did work was the excellent slivers of roast beef in a delicious gravy, all topped with coarse salt and caraway seeds.   
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5233
    Re:Schwabl's hit by a car and closed for a few weeks 2014/10/28 10:33:54 (permalink)
    I've had a couple of variations of poutine but have never seen it with caraway seeds before...looks good!

The fries do look pale.  I wonder if Schwabl's would make the poutine to order with ones that've spent a little more time in the fryer.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1