Scones near Millburn, NJ?

Author
HughYeman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
2004/11/29 12:35:47 (permalink)

Scones near Millburn, NJ?

Hello all. I realize that scones are not exactly a road food, but I'm desperate. I moved to Millburn from Brooklyn a few months ago, and it seems that few people in Millburn even know what a scone is, let alone make them. I miss the big, wonderful scones I used to get at Eagle Provisions on 5th Avenue & 18th Street in Brooklyn. Does anyone know where I might find such a thing nearby? I've looked in several bakeries in Union, the bakery in the plaza by Vaux Hall Road, and The Bagel Chateau, to name a few.

Thanks for any leads you can provide.

-Hugh

8 Replies Related Threads

varelas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Scones near Millburn, NJ? 2004/11/29 12:54:56 (permalink)
    Hugh, scones are not hard to make yourself. I found out not long ago that you can make the batter the night befor and bake then in the morning.
    HughYeman
    Hamburger
    RE: Scones near Millburn, NJ? 2004/11/29 13:06:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by varelas

Hugh, scones are not hard to make yourself. I found out not long ago that you can make the batter the night befor and bake then in the morning.

I actually made some recently and the results, while not bad, were far from what I expected. I used the _New York Times Cookbook_ recipe, and they came out denser and more biscuity than I anticipated: nothing like the fluffy scones I'm used to.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Scones near Millburn, NJ? 2004/11/29 13:30:19 (permalink)
    Hugh, the cafeteria at work offers scones most mornings, and I love their blueberry or cranberry scones. But these scones are dense, sort of the consistency of a "pecan sandy" type cookie. They are definitely not fluffy in any way.

Must be lots of different recipes for different style scones. Keep searching and good luck.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7849
    RE: Scones near Millburn, NJ? 2004/11/29 13:30:23 (permalink)
    This reminds me of the Seattle Gyros thread. To find the best scones, I would suggest traveling approximately 3000 miles west to Seattle. I'm from the NYC area, lived in Brooklyn and have had scones there. They couldn't even begin to compare to the phenomenal pastry gems in the Pacific Northwest.
    brookquarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 280
    RE: Scones near Millburn, NJ? 2004/11/29 13:51:34 (permalink)
    one place that you might want to try is the Argyle in Kearney, reviewed on this site (scones are not mentioned, but given its British/Scottish cuisine, it seems likely they would have them
    HughYeman
    Hamburger
    RE: Scones near Millburn, NJ? 2004/11/29 15:30:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brookquarry

one place that you might want to try is the Argyle in Kearney, reviewed on this site (scones are not mentioned, but given its British/Scottish cuisine, it seems likely they would have them

Thanks! I'll check that out.
    E.L.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Scones near Millburn, NJ? 2004/12/26 14:41:34 (permalink)
    Hugh,

You should try the scones in Maplewood, NJ www.savortheflavor.us by chef Paula Ricker. Scones are her specialty item with many varieties and baked fresh by order.
    HughYeman
    Hamburger
    RE: Scones near Millburn, NJ? 2004/12/27 13:46:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by E.L.

Hugh,

You should try the scones in Maplewood, NJ www.savortheflavor.us by chef Paula Ricker. Scones are her specialty item with many varieties and baked fresh by order.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot, although I have less reason to venture beyond my own kitchen since I discovered the following fantastic recipe. I plan to make another batch of these soon, substituting raisins and whatnot for the ginger.

http://www.ladyshrike.com/scones.htm#ginger
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1