Scranton Baseball Weekend

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7681
2010/06/29 19:56:10 (permalink)

Scranton Baseball Weekend

This past weekend I took advantage of my favorite summer past time as well as a brief respite from my diet.

I had a work related meeting in Glastonbury CT on Friday and luckily we got out early, however it still took three hours and 40 minutes in very heavy traffic  to get to Long Island- only 135 miles away. I stayed overnight on Long Island, still technically on my diet that day, the only real fun I had was going to see Toy Story 3 with my friend, his wife and their two little ones.

Saturday June 26

This is when the fun begins. I left Long Island after a quick breakfast at a relatively new coffee house called Massapequa Perk, across from the Massapequa Park train station. I arrive at my friend Ian's house in Woodcliff Lake NJ and we were on our way to Scranton after another delay involving a 5 car pile up on Route 17.

We arrived at around 3:30 PM at our first stop

Arcaro and Genell
in Old Forge PA

Since we arrived a few minutes early we sat down to a complimentary appetizer  of marinated beans

Shortly afterwards our guest joerogo
arrived in style..

The three of ordered a tray of red "Old Forge Style" Pizza..

Although it looks like Sicilian Style Pizza, its not. The crust is not nearly as dense and has a "toasty" texture. I believe that there is a combination of several cheeses, I do taste American and wonder if it's mixed in with Mozarella, Provolone or both? Either way I enjoyed it much more than Salerno's which visited approximately 7 years ago. Although the red pizza was good..........

I enjoyed the double crusted spinach pizza even more....Joe pointed out that unlike the red pizza which is twice baked, the double crusted pizza is made with fresh dough, and it shows. My mouth is watering right now just thinking about it (yes unfortunately I've been back in diet mode since yesterday)

After our meal, my friend Ian took a departing photo of Joe and I.

Our next stop was

PNC Field

Home of the triple A  Scranton Wilkes Barre Yankees in Moosic PA

They did a fine job of renovating the field since my last visit in 2003. Back then the ballpark hosted the Scranton Wilkes Barre Red Barons who were the triple A team for the Phillies.

One of the things I noticed was that they did away with the astroturf which was my biggest gripe about the ballpark during my last visit.

I also noticed that Old Forge Pizza is included at one of the concession stands...

The Yankees hosted the Rochester Red Wings, who are the triple A farm team for the Minnesota Twins.
This was a long drawn out game with two rain delays. One lasting close to 30 minutes in the 5th inning and another brief rain delay in the 9th inning leaving the score tied at one all...

Even the team mascot

Champ sat down for a while just to chill out. We decided to leave at the end of the 11th inning since it was after 11pm and it was over a two hour drive back to Jersey. We found out the next day that the Yankees finally scored in the 13th inning and beat the Red Wings 2-1.

Sunday June 27

Even though we got home late we got up early at 8AM- my friend's wife and kids were still sleeping.
We took a 15 minute drive to Ridgewood NJ and got a cup of dark roast from Ridgewood Coffee Company to go and decided to have a real breakfast at

Country Pancake House a block or two away..

http://www.countrypancakehouse.net/

There was almost a 1/2 hour wait to get in.
Country Pancake House reminds me of the defunct Royal Canadian Pancake House in NYC which was popular back in the 1990's. Focusing more on variety than quality there are over 100 varieties of Pancakes including oven baked. I went with the Oatmeal Flapjacks, which included chocolate chips in the batter with Fresh Strawberries and Banana on top. Although I was hungry I could barely finish half of my meal due to the size of these monstrous pancakes  Unfortunately I did not bring my camera so therefore there are no photos.

We returned back to my friend's place and we parted ways shortly afterwards. My last stop before the return trip home was Edgewater NJ, my friend Glenn, his wife and their one year old daughter live there.

This is the view of the George Washington Bridge overlooking their condo...

My friend and I ended up going to Lunch at It's Greek to Me in Fort Lee NJ

http://www.itsgreektome.com/

We shared the GTM combo which included gyro meet, chicken, beef, fries Tzatziki, grilled peppers tomato, onion and pita. I still wasn't very hungry from my huge breakfast. Unfortunately I did not bring my camera so no photos here too...

I left New Jersey at around 3:30PM only to be greeted again with some even more traffic. Crawling through the Bronx I hit two more traffic snags in Darien CT but managed to miss the second one by getting onto Route 1 in Milford CT a couple of  towns away from my final dinner stop...

Zuppardi's Apizza

in West Haven CT

although I looked at the menu

I already knew what i wanted...

The fresh clam pizza!

I obviously saved the best meal for last. Although it traditionally doesn't come with Mozarella, I asked them to add some very light mozzarella

Loaded with freshly shucked clams, olive oil and garlic

the firm crust held up to the generous toppings..

Although this was a small pie, spending $22.00 (market price) was well worth it, and yes, I finished the entire pie...

It was an easy ride back to Rhode Island and I was home by 8pm.

post edited by wanderingjew - 2010/06/29 20:01:08

34 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/06/29 20:18:46 (permalink)
    You just had to show that damned clam pie.

Hey, ain't minor leage ballparks great? The last time my wife and I went to that ballpark it didn't look that good.

By the way, last night was Dime-A-Dog Nite at Huntington Park in Columbus.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/06/29 20:50:18 (permalink)
    wanderingjew, It was a pleasure meeting you and Ian.  Come back again and we will do some serious pizza damage.  I still want you to try the regionally appropiate(geografica tipica)selections of tripe and soffrito.  You never know, you just may like them

The pizza you saw at the stadium is from a local franchise owned by Dennis Bonvie.  He was a hockey player with the Baby Penguins in Wilkes-Barre.  After retirement, he decided he liked our area and has opened several eateries. 

Great report and photos, especially the clam pie. 

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/06/29 21:41:08 (permalink)
    Nice to see you and JOE ROGO breaking bread together!!!
    Love to see my fellow Roadfooders "meating up" and getting along like this !

I tried that Old Forge style pizza once, and it was'nt my thing...
    (the small squares reminded me of school lunch pizza, and I like more of a garlicky flavor, etc)  JMO...

I remember Roadfooder "Doggy Daddy" telling me that Zuppardi's was a great, little hidden locals pizza place....we passed near there when he was dropping me off at the New Haven airport car rental...

Your Zuppardi's pizza looks SO juicy !!!!
    post edited by ellen4641 - 2010/06/29 22:36:51
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2973
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/06/29 22:15:53 (permalink)
    The pizza at A&G's is fine, but they really shine on the Italian dinners. I've never had a bad meal there. I wish, I wish I could have been there. I missed both your visit and my old friend Gail's, she was in town for the railroading convention at Steamtown.
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1587
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/06/29 22:31:40 (permalink)
    Re: The Country Pancake House: My wife's cousin lives in Ridgewood and for several years we would meet about once a year with him and his wife for Breakfast there (always early on a Saturday, we would never dare try a Sunday, none of us likes waiting on lines).

We all definately noticed a decline in both quality of food and quality of service over the past few years to the point that last year, by mutual agreement we switched to the nearby Daily Treat Coffee Shop. While I can't really say the food was any better, it was a lot more relaxing and they let us stay as long as we wanted, which is good because we only get together once a year. It's coming up again next month.

Great report, quite  lot of driving, but, Oh that Clam pie looks amazing!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10082
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/06/29 22:31:41 (permalink)
    That is some great looking pizza WJ.   And that photo looks nothing like JoeRogo!  (There, I beat you to it AHI MPLS)
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/06/30 02:54:03 (permalink)
    The clam pizza looks great. The old forge Pizza looks interesting and it is nice to see a picture of Joe Rogo. As always a sensational report, WJ.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/06/30 08:22:29 (permalink)
    joerogo

Even after enjoying Rocky Mountain Oysters out west, I'm still on the fence with Tripe and Soffrito.

Michael

You definitely came to mind while I was enjoying that clam pie.
    I hope to make it out to Huntington Park next year. I hope to check out a game there with you.

Mosca,

We will be back. Next year is going to be slim pickings with trips for me since I have to complete stage 3 of my condo renovations so there will be a few weekend trips to the NYC area staying at "chez friends" and hopefully a couple of day trips to Scranton and perhaps even Allentown to see the triple A Iron Pigs.

Ken

The Daily Treat
    was our other option if the line at Country Pancake House was going to be too long...If you're a fan of coffee, you should check out the Ridgewood Coffee Company
    http://www.ridgewoodcoffeecompany.com/
     a block or two away (on the same side of the street)
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/06/30 08:36:35 (permalink)
    ellen4641
    I tried that Old Forge style pizza once, and it was'nt my thing...
    (the small squares reminded me of school lunch pizza, and I like more of a garlicky flavor, etc)  JMO...

Hey Ellen, Trust me, you just didn't try the right places.  Come on up and let me show you around.  Heck, I could fit you on the back of my scooter!

CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/06/30 11:51:42 (permalink)
    Dale: Nice report and good photos! Thanks for the invite; sorry I couldn't make it.
    When the Red Barons were with the Phillies, the park was built to the same field dimensions as Veterans Stadium and artificial turf was specified as that was in the Vet. The Phillies organization wanted their triple A players to play in a replica of the home stadium.

Zuppardi's is on my "gotta' do" list and I will get there now that I work for a CT-based company.

Thanks for posting.

Ahi Mpls.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 922
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/06/30 12:14:14 (permalink)
     I am going to print out the pictures of the spinach & the clam pizzas...I shall carry them in my wallet and show them to people on the bus everyday. I will gush over how beautiful and and talented they are.  I may be asked to leave the bus, I will not care.     
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/07/01 08:49:37 (permalink)
    Nice pie pics! We hit Zuppardi's a few months back (ok, maybe a bit longer than that), and although we didn't get the clam pie, the sausage one we had was really great. Slightly different from a Pepe's style pie - I think it was the cheese, but I loved it.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/07/01 09:48:07 (permalink)

Dale,

What a great post!!!  It hit me in two ways with Zuppardi's being your final stop.  I am so glad that they are getting noticed here in Roadfood. (Oddly my original review disappeared..)
    Those photos belong in the current review.  I feel that West Haven has a few places that are really worth checking out. It is a 'sleeper' town and off the map for now.

The "Old Forge' style pie is of interest too. You said that the crust is less dense.  Is it airy and light?
     I ask this as at my job, I make scratch made bread and I have been playing around with the recipes.  I had some extra dough and I rolled and stretched it onto a small sheet pan, about the same as your photo.  I threw it into a 550 degree convection oven.  I blinked; and it turned into a New Haven style pie;  it had a very dark outer crust. The crust was light and pliable with a sweet yeast taste and it was very good.  I expected a denser crust but who knows?  Maybe I made a Old Forge pizza unencumbered by the thought process. 
    Next time I try this, I hope I have a camera nearby.

mark
    post edited by doggydaddy - 2010/07/01 09:55:24
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/07/01 10:07:35 (permalink)
    doggydaddy

Dale,

What a great post!!!  It hit me in two ways with Zuppardi's being your final stop.  I am so glad that they are getting noticed here in Roadfood. (Oddly my original review disappeared..)
    Those photos belong in the current review.  I feel that West Haven has a few places that are really worth checking out. It is a 'sleeper' town and off the map for now.

The "Old Forge' style pie is of interest too. You said that the crust is less dense.  Is it airy and light?
    I ask this as at my job, I make scratch made bread and I have been playing around with the recipes.  I had some extra dough and I rolled and stretched it onto a small sheet pan, about the same as your photo.  I threw it into a 550 degree convection oven.  I blinked; and it turned into a New Haven style pie;  it had a very dark outer crust. The crust was light and pliable with a sweet yeast taste and it was very good.  I expected a denser crust but who knows?  Maybe I made a Old Forge pizza unencumbered by the thought process. 
    Next time I try this, I hope I have a camera nearby.

mark

Mark,

Airy, light and crispy would be the best way to describe it. Almost like toasted italian bread versus dense pizza dough.
    Thanks for the compliment. Not to pat myself on the back, but I'm amazed at how many people are interested in my photos, I've actually made some $ already considering  I'm just an amateur with an average camera.
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/07/01 10:35:06 (permalink)

Dale,

Great report.  I tried to get out to Scranton to see Chin Ming Wang pitch last season while he was rehabbing, but couldn't make it happen.

The white clam pie looks amazing.  I hope you ordered a frozen sausage pie to go!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/07/01 10:43:44 (permalink)
    Foodosaurus

Dale,

Great report.  I tried to get out to Scranton to see Chin Ming Wang pitch last season while he was rehabbing, but couldn't make it happen.

Who???!!!
    Foodosaurus
    The white clam pie looks amazing.  I hope you ordered a frozen sausage pie to go!

No frozen Pies for me-I've been back on the strict diet.
    7 weeks until the big road trip...

In between there will be one more "cheat weekend" and  one or maybe two "cheat days".

ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/07/01 12:00:00 (permalink)
    I was curious about the attendance for the BB game. How many would you say were there? Here in my area we have the Florida State League which is class A. Attendance is all over the place. I've seen as few as 150 and as many as 2000 (usually for $1 beer and hotdog night)
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/07/01 12:44:56 (permalink)
    ces1948

I was curious about the attendance for the BB game. How many would you say were there? Here in my area we have the Florida State League which is class A. Attendance is all over the place. I've seen as few as 150 and as many as 2000 (usually for $1 beer and hotdog night)

I couldn't tell you about all the games, however it was a Saturday night and Youth Baseball Night and Fireworks Night . The stadium seats approx 10,350 and according to their website there were approximately 8350 people in attendance.

What I can tell you is that that the Pawtucket Red Sox (Paw Sox) play here at McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket, the ballpark seats approximately 10,000 and every weekend they're in town is almost a guaranteed sellout.
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/07/01 13:11:49 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/07/01 13:17:38 (permalink)
    Foodosaurus

wanderingjew

Who???!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chien-Ming_Wang

I know, I know, I was just being facetious, snarky, cynical....etc
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 899
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/07/13 09:12:50 (permalink)
    doggydaddy
    ...Zuppardi's being your final stop.  I am so glad that they are getting noticed here in Roadfood. (Oddly my original review disappeared..)

Mark, that is indeed strange.  Your original photos are still there, but where is the review -- the one that drew me and everyone else there in the first place? 

Dale, AMAZING clam pie photo.  I've tried twice going down there for a meal -- now it's at the top of my hit list for sure!  Thanks!    Chris

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/09/12 15:47:21 (permalink)
    "Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded." Yogi

That was always my opinion of Arcaro and Genell.  Every time I tried to dine there it was just crazy.  Large crowds, no sense of order.  I told Wanderingjew when we met last June that this was my first time eating at A & G.  

Well, on Friday we were passing by and decided to give it one more try.  It was early, about 5:30PM and there was a parking space right out front.   Glad we did, I just found my new favorite restaurant for red sauce Italian food.

I had the veal with peppers and tomatoes.  One of the best meals of my life.(cellphone pic)

The peppers had a little wang to them, probably a shot of red wine vinegar.  The tomatoes were probably San Marzano.  They had a natural sweetness that screams quality.  The veal was fork tender and flavorful.

My wife went with her standard....chicken parmesan.  The portion was huge.  Three breasts and about 1/2 pound of pasta.  Sorry about cropping the photo down so much.  After I took the picture we noticed that there were five breasts in the picture

The chicken was plumb(not beaten)and juicy with a light breading.  But the sauce was the clear winner.

As we were leaving there were about 50-60 people in the bar area waiting for a table.  The place probably only holds about 75.  Yes, the food is THAT good.

So Dale, Thank You for introducing me to a fine Italian restaurant in my own back yard
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/09/12 15:57:54 (permalink)
    Wow Joe!   We agree on something.  Our  family  from  Syracuse meets us  there once a year  for a get together.  We  love this place.   Great service,  friendly,  and  terrific   food!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/09/12 17:17:28 (permalink)
    And you never invited me?  I'm hurt.

At least you didn't make fun of my cellphone pic
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/09/12 18:21:17 (permalink)
    Actually, I wanted to point out that your pictures did not begin to do  the food justice  but  I  am  trying  very  hard   (and with  much difficulty) to  be on my best  behavior.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/09/30 11:58:23 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Zuppardi's Apizza

in West Haven CT

although I looked at the menu

I already knew what i wanted...

The fresh clam pizza!

I obviously saved the best meal for last. Although it traditionally doesn't come with Mozarella, I asked them to add some very light mozzarella

Loaded with freshly shucked clams, olive oil and garlic

the firm crust held up to the generous toppings..

Although this was a small pie, spending $22.00 (market price) was well worth it, and yes, I finished the entire pie...

I got a chance to try Zuppardi's.  Great little place in a residential neighborhood.

No question what I was going to order either....The fresh clam pie!  It tasted every bit as good as it looks in WJ's photo.  The nice briney, salty flavor of the clams with a mild sprinkling of cheese on an excellent crust. 

Funny though, there were a lot of weird people there.  They all had cameras and were taking pictures of their food  It must have been an unofficial food blogger day.  I met a very nice girl from Hong Kong.  She was traveling up the coast eating regionally appropriate food.  WJ would have been proud.

One sour note..WJ got more clams than I did  Everyone was ordering the fresh clam pie, I guess they were overwhelmed.  

eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/09/30 14:01:29 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Arcaro and Genell
    in Old Forge PA

Since we arrived a few minutes early we sat down to a complimentary appetizer  of marinated beans

Several summers ago we were in Scranton for a Little Leauge tournament.  In addition to the Glider Diner and Coney Island Lunch (the one on Lackawanna), we wanted to go to Arcaro and Genell which we had read about here.

Of course the family of the Little Leaguer wanted to go to Olive Garden, so we picked at salad and pasta, saving room for the real dinner later. 

The marinated beans, which we knew nothing about, arrived minutes after we were seated.  All I can say is they were like crack.  What a great surprize. We had a few slices of various pizza, and some pasta dish. but the beans were unforgettable.

Thanks for a great memory!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/09/30 16:03:35 (permalink)
    eruby, I forget the Italian name for this dish, but it is considered peasant food.  This is what you made with your stale bread.  
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Scranton Baseball Weekend 2010/09/30 18:02:36 (permalink)
    joerogo

I got a chance to try Zuppardi's.  Great little place in a residential neighborhood.

No question what I was going to order either....The fresh clam pie!  It tasted every bit as good as it looks in WJ's photo.  The nice briney, salty flavor of the clams with a mild sprinkling of cheese on an excellent crust. 

Funny though, there were a lot of weird people there.  They all had cameras and were taking pictures of their food  It must have been an unofficial food blogger day.  I met a very nice girl from Hong Kong.  She was traveling up the coast eating regionally appropriate food.  WJ would have been proud.

One sour note..WJ got more clams than I did  Everyone was ordering the fresh clam pie, I guess they were overwhelmed.  

Joe,

I'll let you take some extra clams off the pizza in my photo!

Glad to hear enjoyed Zuppardi's as much as I did.
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2010/09/30 18:03:41
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1