Scrapple?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Scrapple? 2004/01/13 17:00:12 (permalink)
RubyRose has it right. I found a recipe for scrapple ("pawnhaus" in German; PA Dutch is a corruption of "Deutch?")

Anyway, the recipe starts with" "Take one pig's head, split. . . ."
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Scrapple? 2004/01/15 05:42:43 (permalink)
Finally had the pleasure of scrapple for breakfast durong my holiday trip east---Haags Hotel and Restaraunt in Shartlesville Pa---loved it!You folks that get squeamish about pigs heads---you still eat hot dogsor for that matter--has it occured to you that a ham is a pigs butt cheeks!!
katmaan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Scrapple? 2004/03/06 20:16:07 (permalink)
My mother was Pa Dutch and grew up in a family with thirteen siblings in Central PA. When I was young she used to tell me stories of butcherings and the making of scrapple, and "puddin meat". This thread sure brings back a lot of memories.
I used to love scrapple that was fried in butter and served with maple syrup. Yum!
Haven't had any for years but I'm going to change that this week.
Thanks to all of you for the reminder of a fond memory from my childhood in Central PA.
Oh yea, what about that Shoefly Pie??? Yum, Yum!!!
Sure can't find that in OHIo or at least I haven't.
Any ideas???
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Scrapple? 2004/03/06 21:18:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by KATMAAN

Oh yea, what about that Shoefly Pie??? Yum, Yum!!!
Sure can't find that in OHIo or at least I haven't.
Any ideas???

If all else fails, you can always have one shipped to you from one of these Pennsylvania websites:
Dutch Haven = http://www.800padutch.com/dutchhaven.html
Bird-in-Hand = https://store.bird-in-hand.com/home.do
katmaan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Scrapple? 2004/03/07 14:02:25 (permalink)
At 15 dollars per pie, I'll just make my own but thanks for the idea.

Katmaan
Copperman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Scrapple? 2004/05/26 12:20:13 (permalink)

Has anyone used any of the recipies listed here. My 96 year young mom is visiting CA from PA and we are thinking of giving one a try.

A local place (Betty's oceanview cafe) has great fresh made scrapple, but they look weird at me when I ask for Maple syrup. Served with grilled fresh tomatoes. And is spicey hot.
Copperman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Scrapple? 2004/05/26 12:29:57 (permalink)
Actually the correct name is: Bette's Oceanview Diner

http://www.worldpantry.com/bettes/home.html

Another favorite is the Philadelphia scrapple made from cornmeal cooked up with pork butt and fresh ham hocks. The sage-scented loaf is sliced and fried, served with grilled green tomatoes, poached eggs and toast
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18450
RE: Scrapple? 2004/05/26 12:30:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Michael H: Thanks for the beaver recipe. Would you object if I submit it to our local weekly ? Just want to stir up the local PETA's a bit...

Wow! Somehow I missed your request. I'm sorry. Feel free to submit the recipe. I'm for anything that'll shake up those PETA people.
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Scrapple? 2004/05/26 12:42:51 (permalink)
Michael! You've turned purple. Congratulations, Mr. Double Chili Cheeseburger.
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Scrapple? 2004/07/28 12:10:15 (permalink)
During preparation for a good Thanksgiving Turkey stuffing I use about 12oz. of Pa. Scrapple to my bread,herbs and eggs. It is delicious when the turkey juices mix with the scrapple in the stuffing.

Also like it fried in butter with maple syrup for breakfast.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Scrapple? 2004/07/28 12:33:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by axvawe

During preparation for a good Thanksgiving Turkey stuffing I use about 12oz. of Pa. Scrapple to my bread,herbs and eggs. It is delicious when the turkey juices mix with the scrapple in the stuffing.

i think i love this idea!---now ---to find scrapple here in Oklahoma---may have to make some myself---
santacruz
Cheeseburger
RE: Scrapple? 2004/07/28 12:51:46 (permalink)
Tiki,
I used to be able to get Pa. scrapple frozen at most Grocery stores in Lawrence Kansas.

In your post on how you like your eggs you mentioned N. Suan Juan Ca.
The Red and White egg and steak combo. There is an article about the store up there this week in the Grass Valley Union. I think it is now called Mothertruckers. Is that the same one you used to go to?
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Scrapple? 2004/07/28 15:40:35 (permalink)
Actually Mothertruckers was an abandoned building at "4 Corners"--a crossroads out side of No San Juan ---i had a lease on five acres catty corner from it.----the place i went to then was called Petersons Corner and it was back on Hy 49 just south of "downtown No San Juan."---there was aslo a great little Japanese american cafe right in town--now gone sadly---fun by a the Japanese "war bride" of a Marine named Bill---great lady---introduced me to yaki soba---among other japanese culinary drlights----i've been to MMothertruckers---remember when the original bunch of "hippies" that put it together first started----long ago--ment we locals didnt have to drive to the Bay area to get brown rice and yoghurt!Its a great place to stop in for a snacks on a trip up to Malakof Diggings or into the hills.

BTW---where are you living that you get the Grass valley paper? I live in Chico for 20 yrs before we moved aout here--loved Grass Valleys local radio station---terrific stuff---they had one news crew guyb tyhat play a killer ukelele and would come up to chico to the Senior Center in the Park District that i worked for---he led a group called the Vokelelees--a dozen seniors that sang and played ukes every week---nice guy!
santacruz
Cheeseburger
RE: Scrapple? 2004/07/28 16:01:11 (permalink)
Tiki,
I like the Willows steakhouse on the way to N. San Juan.

My wife was on KVMR for years she lived in Nevada City. The Grassvalley Union is on the web http://www.theunion.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

We live in the bay area, but lived out in Kansas for sometime.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Scrapple? 2004/07/28 18:32:24 (permalink)
i got a feeling that the old Petersons Corner is now the Willows---its was the ONLY thing on the road before N San Juan---on the left just after the turn to Four Corners,Malakoff Diggings etc---once lived in a house just before it set back in the trees but it burned down---i gather that there are homes in there.
santacruz
Cheeseburger
RE: Scrapple? 2004/07/30 11:21:08 (permalink)
Tiki,
My wife remembers the Japanese place, she said the the food was very good, and the woman who cooked it was very gracious, but the husband was a tyrant. I like to go through there on my way to Downeyville.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Scrapple? 2004/07/30 14:37:28 (permalink)
quote:

Tiki,
My wife remembers the Japanese place, she said the the food was very good, and the woman who cooked it was very gracious, but the husband was a tyrant. I like to go through there on my way to Downeyville.

your wife is right---Bill was a tyrant and Toki--his wife and the resteraunt namesake--was extremely gracious,genuinly freindly and a great cook to boot!
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Scrapple? 2004/07/30 14:38:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:

Tiki,

your wife is right---Bill was a tyrant and Toki--his wife and the resteraunt namesake--was extremely gracious,genuinely freindly and a great cook to boot!
red106
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Scrapple? 2004/08/04 12:43:31 (permalink)
Originally from Spring Mount PA, raised on Habbersetts scrapple (and lebanon bologna), my family was transplanted to sunny CA. My daughter married a Delgado and now her family is being raised on the scrapple and egg burrito. Always have to take an extra suitcase when we go home to carry the frozen scrapple.
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Scrapple? 2004/08/04 12:52:10 (permalink)
Red106,
Instead of schlepping that scrapple across the country you can order from RAPA Scrapple http://www.rapascrapple.com/mailorder.html
They are very good about shipment & their prices are fair. They don't take credit cards but they accept checks or money orders (they are a small company) Come Fall Bridgeville is home to the apple/scrapple festival.
red106
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Scrapple? 2004/08/06 22:22:16 (permalink)
Thanks for the info, I'll order some from them real soon. Is it true they make scrapple for Habbersett? Daughter's birthday is coming up soon, what a surprise that will be delivered to her door.
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Scrapple? 2004/08/07 01:18:21 (permalink)
I'm only familiar with them under the Rapa brand here in Baltimore. I started using the mail order when a batch I took to my sister's in Texas went bad!!
Heartburn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Scrapple? 2004/08/07 06:16:40 (permalink)
Originally posted by Craig328

Long ignored but a Pennsylvania mainstay miss my tender pork pieces. Any receipies?.. Stuck in Florida and needing help!
[/quote

iN Ocala Florida we get our scrapple at Publix markets.
Look in the frozen food section.
They carry two Pa. brands]
markeble
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Scrapple? 2004/09/10 11:57:45 (permalink)
We eat lots of scrapple and related items like sagey souse here in Indiana. Miscellaneous pig parts.

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals!
chef joe
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Scrapple? 2004/09/10 21:53:24 (permalink)
Great Topic,
You guys are on top. I was raised in South Philly - lived in Florida for the past 25 years, been a Chef for 35 years, worked in center city Philly, Society Hill, Jersey, So. Philly, etc. I have a couple of Scrapple stories for you, hope I am not too long winded with this ( we are waiting for Hurrricane Ivan to hit us!!!!, we are all crazy) When I was a kid in the fifties we had a man delivered us food items from UPSTATE ( as we called it back then) he was known as "JOE EGGS", he was from the Pennsylvania Dutch Country, he came on Fridays, each and every week, back in those days no one never knocked on your door, they opened it and announced themselves "JOE EGGS" and walked in - IT WAS A WONDERFUL TIME! He had a pad and a pen and would ask my grandmother what she wanted and how much. Eggs, Bacon, Ham, Scrapple, etc. Then he'd bring in the eggs and large peices of ham, bacon and scrapple and she'd measure with her fingers how big she wanted the peice and he'd slice it. It was the BEST, us kid's would fight over who would put the scrapple away because spread across the top of it was a layer of cold fat and underneath it was a baloon with the the word ROBERT'S SCRAPPLE on it, so when you blew it up it spread out. GREAT DAYS AND GREAT PEOPLE! Years later a lot of us are getting back from the NAM' and we're down the Oregon Diner at 3rd & Oregon and my cousin Mickey (What a Character) is eating scrapple and eggs, it's 4 in the morning . we're out all night - partying! Anyway he's chewing and chewing and he jumps up (he's nuts anyway) yelling and screaming there's something WRONG and he pulls something out of his mouth and it's the top of a pig's ear _WOW! Well, we laughed and carried on until they threw us out - bodily. Looking back, it was so funny and also a great time and a great memorie and a great story that's been told a zillion times in the family - but we still eat and love our scrapple - EVEN MICKEY! Take Care You Guys and think of us, we are about to get whacked with our third BAD HURRICANE in three weeks. CHEF JOE!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15278
RE: Scrapple? 2004/09/10 23:07:44 (permalink)
Hang in there Joe, We're hoping you dodge it this time.

Scrapple for me is a Winter food. That and Fried Mush make great sides for some Fried Eggs and Country Ham.. Put some Grits in a bowl there also and you have a real heavy duty Breakfast.
Both the Scrapple and the Mush need to be fried so the edges are crispy brown.
We used to get slices of both Scrapple and Mush at the Columbus (NJ) Flea Market, at an Amish foodstand. Great walk-around food on a Winter day.
Rayme
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Scrapple? 2004/09/12 13:05:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by oneiron339

Ruby, you're too kind. The recipe you listed is ok but it's rather PC.
Well, oneiron339, you’re exactly right. I have another recipe that starts “Boil together one cleaned hog’s head with heart and liver and whatever other pieces of pork you have. Cook several hours. Remove the meat from the bones and measure. What is left can be used for making meat pudding.” But most people don’t have access to the ingredients listed, let alone the “other pieces”, which was the genteel description for piggy prairie oysters. Now you Know what pork pudding meat is, meowzart. Interestingly, both of my non-PC grandmothers used to call spareribs “trash meat”, and when I was a little girl, it was one of the cheapest cuts of meat in the butcher shop.

Now, stuffed pig stomach is a different story. Fresh pig stomach is available in our area year round but I understand that it doesn’t turn out right if frozen is used. There is a restaurant called The Willows in East Texas PA (less than 10 minutes off I-78 but you could never find it unless you were lost) that makes a very good version. But the best is a late fall Lioness Club dinner for eat-in or carry-out with sides of pepper cabbage, applesauce and potato rolls. Last year, they served about 500 dinners.

As a side note, my daughter did her 7th grade science project on the effects of different types of soft drinks on pig stomach, which has the closest composition of all animals to the human stomach. With her showpiece of a whole one floating in a jar labeled “Look what The Dew can do to you”, she won first prize for her school and was supposed to go to the state finals but at the last minute, some PETA lady from an area in PA where they don't sell pig stomachs or eat them protested to the state science project committee and she was disqualified.

Yes I always thought scrapple was made from whatever you had left over like the pig's face. I remember being in a diner in Scranton once and my friend who had never had scrapple before innocently asked the waitress if it had potatoes in it - 'No honey, it doesn't.'
What are piggy prairie oysters like? I've always found the beef version somewhat chewy but maybe they were overcooked.
Rayme
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Scrapple? 2004/09/12 13:07:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by seafarer john

We're having a local dispute over beavers being trapped to prevent flooding. Anyone have any good beaver recipes?

Baked Beaver

1 beaver, skinned and all fat removed.
Salt and pepper to taste
Garlic powder to taste
Celery top from one rib
1 large onion,peeled
2 carrots, peeled
1/2 cup brandy
2 cups water

Season the meat with salt and pepper and garlic powder. Place the meat in a roasting pan with the celery tops, onion and carrots Bake covered at 350 degrees for one hour. Add the brandy and water, and bake for one hour and fifteen minutes longer, basting occasionally with the liquid from the bottom of the pan.

By the way, this works equally well with raccoon.

I found half an armadillo in a Chinese market nearby; must taste like chicken.
Heartburn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Scrapple? 2004/09/12 14:44:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Craig328

Long ignored but a Pennsylvania mainstay miss my tender pork pieces. Any receipies?.. Stuck in Florida and needing help!

I live in Ocala Fl. and get Pa. scrapple in the frozen food section
at Publix super markets.
They carry two brands.
Cole-Lamasney
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Scrapple? 2004/09/12 20:14:16 (permalink)
So is scrapple supposed to be sweet (with syrup) or savory (salt)? I think the same debate goes for matzo brei, with different folks taking different approaches to same. Inquiring minds want to know.

Lori
(who plunks for savory in both cases)
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1