Scrapple?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Craig328
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
2003/05/16 22:11:39 (permalink)

Scrapple?

Long ignored but a Pennsylvania mainstay miss my tender pork pieces. Any receipies?.. Stuck in Florida and needing help!

84 Replies Related Threads

RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/05/16 23:01:08 (permalink)
    I’ve never made this before but it’s from one of Edna Eby Heller’s books and she usually has the PA Dutch cooking down pat.

SCRAPPLE

3 lbs. spareribs
    2 14-ounce cans beef broth (3 1/ 2 cups)
    1 tsp. salt
    1/ 8 tsp. black pepper
    1 medium onion, peeled and chopped very fine
    1 tsp. parsley flakes
    2 bay leaves
    2 cups water
    2 1/ 2 cups corn meal
    flour
    shortening

Cook spareribs in beef broth in which salt, pepper, onion, parsley and bay leaves have been added. Simmer for 2 1/ 2 hours/ Remove meat and bones from broth and strain broth. Put broth in large pot. Cut meat from bone and gristle. Put meat through food chopper. Return to broth and bring to a boil.

Slowly add water to corn meal while stirring. Add some of the hot broth too. Pour corn meal mixture into boiling broth and cook until very thick (about 10 minutes). Pour into 2 loaf pans, 9X5X3 inches. Chill.

When cold, cut into 1/ 2 inch slices and coat with flour before frying. Fry in very little shortening until outside is very brown and crisp.

Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/20 13:45:29 (permalink)
    Ruby, you're too kind. The recipe you listed is ok but it's rather PC. The real scrapple I grew up with (my uncle was a butcher) was made with parts, is parts if you know what I mean. Scrapple was one step above chittlin's and one step after bologna. So your recipe is a classy version of real scrapple. After scrapple, they made a dish called pudding, which some call livermush. It was mixed w/ cornmeal and formed into blocks about the size of meatloaf. You can still get it at the farmers markets in PA Dutch country. Some eat it cold in sandwiches, my mom used to heat it until it became a thick saucy mixture and we had it over bread for supper. Next stop - Pig Stomach for supper. Scrapple and eggs for breakfast.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/20 18:26:25 (permalink)
    Hi Mr. Iron and Craig! Below is a recipe for scrapple from From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens by Phyllis Pellman Good and Rachel Thomas Pellman. My mom bought me this book so I wouldn't get too homesick for the food of my youth.

The recipe says this will make 3-4 lbs. of scrapple.

1 lb. pork pudding meat (I have no idea what goes into pork pudding meat. oneiron, can you expound?)
    1 qt. pork broth
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 1/2 cups corn meal
    1/4 cup buckwheat flour

Stir pudding meat into 1 qt. seasoned, rapidly boiling pork broth.

When the mixture reaches the boiling point, slowly add the corn meal and buckwheat flour. Stir constantly until thickened.

Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.

Pour into two loaf pans. Cool thoroughly; then refrigerate promptly.

When scrapple is set, cut in 3/8 to 1/2 inch slices and fry in hot, greased skillet. When slices are brown and crusty, turn and brown on other side.

Serve hot with catsup, syrup (my fave--meowzart), or apple butter.

Now how does that sound to ya???

Meowzart
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/20 18:37:00 (permalink)
    Oh yeah...I forgot to put this in my previous post. Pig stomach: We called it hog maw and was our traditional Easter supper. It was stuffed with sausage and potatoes and slow-baked in the oven. I still remember my mom and grandma sewing up the hog maw like surgeons.

AND...

In Bridgeville, DE they have an annual Apple-Scrapple Festival (Bridgeville is the home of Rapa Scrapple). It is set for October 10-11 this year.

Meowzart
    RubyRose
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/20 19:16:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

Ruby, you're too kind. The recipe you listed is ok but it's rather PC.
    Well, oneiron339, you’re exactly right. I have another recipe that starts “Boil together one cleaned hog’s head with heart and liver and whatever other pieces of pork you have. Cook several hours. Remove the meat from the bones and measure. What is left can be used for making meat pudding.” But most people don’t have access to the ingredients listed, let alone the “other pieces”, which was the genteel description for piggy prairie oysters. Now you Know what pork pudding meat is, meowzart. Interestingly, both of my non-PC grandmothers used to call spareribs “trash meat”, and when I was a little girl, it was one of the cheapest cuts of meat in the butcher shop.

Now, stuffed pig stomach is a different story. Fresh pig stomach is available in our area year round but I understand that it doesn’t turn out right if frozen is used. There is a restaurant called The Willows in East Texas PA (less than 10 minutes off I-78 but you could never find it unless you were lost) that makes a very good version. But the best is a late fall Lioness Club dinner for eat-in or carry-out with sides of pepper cabbage, applesauce and potato rolls. Last year, they served about 500 dinners.

As a side note, my daughter did her 7th grade science project on the effects of different types of soft drinks on pig stomach, which has the closest composition of all animals to the human stomach. With her showpiece of a whole one floating in a jar labeled “Look what The Dew can do to you”, she won first prize for her school and was supposed to go to the state finals but at the last minute, some PETA lady from an area in PA where they don't sell pig stomachs or eat them protested to the state science project committee and she was disqualified.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/20 19:47:30 (permalink)
    RubyRose, I am so sorry that the PETA lady messed over your daughter. People eating tasy animals (PETA) always make an A-- out of the selves and I am sure it upset you daughter.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/20 20:57:10 (permalink)
    quote:

As a side note, my daughter did her 7th grade science project on the effects of different types of soft drinks on pig stomach, which has the closest composition of all animals to the human stomach. With her showpiece of a whole one floating in a jar labeled “Look what The Dew can do to you”, she won first prize for her school and was supposed to go to the state finals but at the last minute, some PETA lady from an area in PA where they don't sell pig stomachs or eat them protested to the state science project committee and she was disqualified.

Where in PA don't they sell pig stomachs??!???!???!???!! Not in any "recklar" part of PA, that is for sure!

NOW...I've got a real problem with this PETA lady. It's not like the pig was killed so your daughter could do her science project!! If that was the case, maybe I could see her point. But gee whiz...give me a break! That piggie was already somebody's dinner. So why NOT put the stomach to good use in the cause of science and a good grade?? Grrrr...
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/20 21:12:25 (permalink)
    Most of us are really lucky that we will never run across any PETA people in the BBQ joints we like to frequent - Let's drink a toast to that !
    RubyRose
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/22 23:19:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Most of us are really lucky that we will never run across any PETA people in the BBQ joints we like to frequent - Let's drink a toast to that !

Based on the results of her experiment, I'll drink a toast with anything but Coke. I'll keep it in reserve for soaking my venison roasts in.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/22 23:49:45 (permalink)
    Your right on the target RubyRose, Coke and especially Dr Pepper make great basting bases for BBQ.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/23 08:39:47 (permalink)
    A guy with an alligator goes into a bar and asks, "Do you serve PETA members in here?" The bartender says, "Sure we do." "Well, then bring me two well done for my alligator." Old joke, but expresses the sentiment.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/23 10:41:32 (permalink)
    We're having a local dispute over beavers being trapped to prevent flooding. Anyone have any good beaver recipes?
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/23 11:16:31 (permalink)
    mmmmmmmmmmm, I'd just roast'em on an open flame like I do Raccoon !! I hear they are awfully fatty though !!!

Which, come to think of it, might not be a bad thing !!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18267
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/23 13:51:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

We're having a local dispute over beavers being trapped to prevent flooding. Anyone have any good beaver recipes?

Baked Beaver

1 beaver, skinned and all fat removed.
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Garlic powder to taste
    Celery top from one rib
    1 large onion,peeled
    2 carrots, peeled
    1/2 cup brandy
    2 cups water

Season the meat with salt and pepper and garlic powder. Place the meat in a roasting pan with the celery tops, onion and carrots Bake covered at 350 degrees for one hour. Add the brandy and water, and bake for one hour and fifteen minutes longer, basting occasionally with the liquid from the bottom of the pan.

By the way, this works equally well with raccoon.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/06/23 22:51:52 (permalink)
    Michael H: Thanks for the beaver recipe. Would you object if I submit it to our local weekly ? Just want to stir up the local PETA's a bit...
    practans
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/07/06 12:41:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

Ruby, you're too kind. The recipe you listed is ok but it's rather PC.
    I just checked my package of Dietz & Watson Philadelphia Scrapple and the listed ingredients are: pork stock, pork, pork snouts, pork skins, corn meal, pork liver, whole wheat, salt, spices.

I'm pretty sure that the ingredients of Habbersett's Scrapple (The King of Scrapples in the Philly area) also includes pork hearts.

But forget the ingredients, Pennsylvania scrapple is great tasting stuff. (Sorry Rapa and Parks)
    practans
    Junior Burger
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/07/06 12:54:51 (permalink)
    I don't know how we got from scrapple to beaver, but...
    One day many years ago my teenage daughter came to dinner with two female friends. She had asked me to make something unusual for them. After prowling the Reading Terminal Market in Philly looking for something unusual, I bought some beaver. I found a recipe for it somewhere and made dinner. The girls liked it and as they ate, they kept asking what they were eating, but I wouldn't tell them. When they finished they asked again and I said think of a popular family sitcom on TV. They talked among themselves and asked "Leave It To Beaver?" I smiled and their eyes got real big and they screamed "Beaver??" EEEEWWWWWW!
    practans
    Junior Burger
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/08/05 11:52:16 (permalink)
    Had some scrapple for breakfast this morning (Dietz & Watson). Boy, was it tasty!
    a noid
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/09/21 11:10:11 (permalink)
    My gram used to make both scrapple and pudding, and I love them both but the store versions are a pale imitation. We managed to make some good scrapple when my cook butchered, but I need a good recipe for pudding. Anyone?
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/09/22 01:50:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    (you could never find it unless you were lost)
    Isn't that a, if not the, definition of RoadFood?
    retired & glad
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/09/22 06:02:41 (permalink)
    Craig

Pork Scrapple [the only kind I know] is easy to make.

Simmer about 1/2 - 3/4 lb pork [we use neck bones] in 1 quart of water for about 1 hour, or until very tender. Cool. Remove fat from top of broth; discard fat, reserving broth. Remove meat from bones & chop medium fine. Combine 2 1/2 cups of reserved broth, chopped meat, 1/2 cup cornmeal, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, & 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium cook pot and cook over direct heat, stirring, until thickened. Transfer to a double boiler, cover and cook for about 1 hour. Then pour into a buttered loaf pan, chill & then slice about 1/2 inch thick. Brown both sides of slices quickly in a hot skillet with butter or bacon fat and serve hot. UUUM! Good! Unfried scrapple will keep in refrigerator for about one week.

Enjoy!
    David
    marvel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/09/29 18:39:49 (permalink)
    Here is my scrapple recipe for Arkansas Sausage Scrapple. It is simple and doesn't require killing the pet pig.

1 pound sausage meat
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 teaspoons rubbed sage or poultry seasoning
    2 1/2 cups chicken or beef stock or water
    1 cup yellow corn meal
    4-6 Tablespoons bacon drippings, butter or margarine

1. Stir-fry the sausage in a large heavy skillet (not iron) over moderate heat about 5 minutes, breaking up large clumps.
    2. Place the corn meal in a bowl. Add a small amount of the stock liquid. Mix thoroughly. Add a little more stock. Mix thoroughly. The mix should be uniform and about the consistency of cake batter.
    3. Blend in salt, pepper and sage or poultry seasoning, then add remaining stock and bring to a boil.
    4. Gradually whisk in the corn meal, beating vigorously lest the corn meal lump.
    5. Turn heat to lowest point, cover skillet and let cook very slowly 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    6. Pack the scrapple mixture into 2 (8 1/2 X 4 1/2 X 2 1/2") loaf pans. The lightweight foil loaf pans that you buy in sets in dime stores work well.
    7. Lay a piece of foil on top of scrapple. Press down.
    8. Chill several hours or overnight until firm then un-mold.
    Yield: 12 servings
    cunamara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/11/23 12:00:48 (permalink)
    marvel, In regard to your recipe for Arkansas Sausage Scrapple, does that freeze well? -Tom
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/11/23 13:34:05 (permalink)
    I was amused by this whole thread even if it doesn't directly concern me as I have a strict personal policy against eating anything that rhymes with "crapple."

No ****.

Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/11/23 15:07:34 (permalink)
    I love playing scrabble but my wife always gets mad at me because I take too long. Oh, you said scrapple.

Never mind.
    cunamara
    Junior Burger
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/11/23 15:08:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by i95

I was amused by this whole thread even if it doesn't directly concern me as I have a strict personal policy against eating anything that rhymes with "crapple."

No ****.

As in "apple?"
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/11/23 15:22:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by i95

No ****.

Is this a little more information than we need

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Petunia62249
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/11/23 16:19:39 (permalink)
    this was tooo cooool to read! scrapple as a kid was good because your ma said to eat it. Ma did a lot of that
    "eat it, it's all we got" so ya did! BUT...
    Now as adult, we have choice!!!!!
    No scrapple for me!
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Scrapple? 2003/11/23 18:54:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cunamara

quote:
    Originally posted by i95

No ****.

As in "apple?"

...and Snapple.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1