Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Scrapple

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 34 of 34
southjerseymichigan

• Total Posts: 38
Re:Scrapple Wed, 09/11/13 6:00 AM (permalink)
Scrapple is found in mid-Missouri but under a different name. meat shop will recognize "scrapple" and defer you to it. there is a large German presence including Amish and Mennonites so that may be why it's available.
to me, it was a metro Philadelphia breakfast "meat" although i, too, have heard of having it for other meals.
i do not care for scrapple. i think that it was invented as a way to get rid of unwanted guests who show up at your front door. i only get it when i'm in metro Phila.
Smithfield Meats of Virginia makes a scrapple that i've seen both in Michigan and Missouri.
HOWEVER.
a Chinese concern just took them over so i wonder if this product will continue.

hanvi

• Total Posts: 10
    Re:Scrapple Fri, 02/14/14 5:46 PM (permalink)
    Never heard of scrapple until I moved to Maryland, but loved it since I tried it.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9584
      Re:Scrapple Fri, 02/14/14 6:16 PM (permalink)
      southjerseymichigan

Scrapple is found in mid-Missouri but under a different name. meat shop will recognize "scrapple" and defer you to it. there is a large German presence including Amish and Mennonites so that may be why it's available.
      to me, it was a metro Philadelphia breakfast "meat" although i, too, have heard of having it for other meals.
      i do not care for scrapple. i think that it was invented as a way to get rid of unwanted guests who show up at your front door. i only get it when i'm in metro Phila.
      Smithfield Meats of Virginia makes a scrapple that i've seen both in Michigan and Missouri.
      HOWEVER.
      a Chinese concern just took them over so i wonder if this product will continue.

Actually, Scrapple was "Invented" as a way to use every part of the pig except the oink. Industrious Amish farmers made use of EVERYTHING to supplement their Spartan way of life.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
        Re:Scrapple Fri, 02/14/14 6:32 PM (permalink)
        Scrapple was actually first produced by the Dutch Colonists in Chester Co. PA. It became popular with the Amish and Mennonite populations in the area. I like it best fried crisp and with a little molasses poured on it. Great with eggs!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 34 of 34

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com