Hot!Scrapple

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
southjerseymichigan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
Re:Scrapple 2013/09/11 06:00:16 (permalink)
Scrapple is found in mid-Missouri but under a different name. meat shop will recognize "scrapple" and defer you to it. there is a large German presence including Amish and Mennonites so that may be why it's available.
to me, it was a metro Philadelphia breakfast "meat" although i, too, have heard of having it for other meals.
i do not care for scrapple. i think that it was invented as a way to get rid of unwanted guests who show up at your front door. i only get it when i'm in metro Phila.
Smithfield Meats of Virginia makes a scrapple that i've seen both in Michigan and Missouri.
HOWEVER.
a Chinese concern just took them over so i wonder if this product will continue.
hanvi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Scrapple 2014/02/14 17:46:27 (permalink)
Never heard of scrapple until I moved to Maryland, but loved it since I tried it.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10329
Re:Scrapple 2014/02/14 18:16:51 (permalink)
southjerseymichigan

Scrapple is found in mid-Missouri but under a different name. meat shop will recognize "scrapple" and defer you to it. there is a large German presence including Amish and Mennonites so that may be why it's available.
to me, it was a metro Philadelphia breakfast "meat" although i, too, have heard of having it for other meals.
i do not care for scrapple. i think that it was invented as a way to get rid of unwanted guests who show up at your front door. i only get it when i'm in metro Phila.
Smithfield Meats of Virginia makes a scrapple that i've seen both in Michigan and Missouri.
HOWEVER.
a Chinese concern just took them over so i wonder if this product will continue.

Actually, Scrapple was "Invented" as a way to use every part of the pig except the oink. Industrious Amish farmers made use of EVERYTHING to supplement their Spartan way of life.

Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Scrapple 2014/02/14 18:32:41 (permalink)
Scrapple was actually first produced by the Dutch Colonists in Chester Co. PA. It became popular with the Amish and Mennonite populations in the area. I like it best fried crisp and with a little molasses poured on it. Great with eggs!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1