Seafood South Of Tallahassee

Author
Beukeboom
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2009/06/08 03:08:10 (permalink)

Seafood South Of Tallahassee

Even though Tallahassee is mere 20-25 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico and several excellent seafood distributors, it's hard to find a good seafood restaurant around here. However south of Tallahassee I recommend the following:

In Panacea, FL I recommend Posey's Up The Creek Steam Room & Oyster Bar which is located on U.S. Hwy 98 (a.k.a. -- Coastal Highway). It's nothing fancy but excellent gumbo and very fresh seafood. Angelo's & Sons just west of Panacea is good but since they reopened (the restaurant suffered severe damage a while back due to a tropical storm) it's not as good as it once was IMHO and rather expensive.

However, a very, very good seafood restaurant that's a little out of the way but well worth the trip is Spring Creek Restaurant which is located on Ben Willis Rd. south of Crawfordville, FL. Either call them for directions or Google map "Ben Willis Rd." It's south of U.S. Hwy 98 and is just a few dozen yards from the Gulf of Mexico.

Speaking of Crawfordville, a nice little restaurant on the north side of town with really fresh seafood (and HUGE homemade desserts as my wife found out). It's called "Forgotten Coast Seafood Shack" and it's right on Crawfordville Highway (U.S. Hwy 319). Very inexpensive with ample portions. Nice atmosphere (it's more than a mere "shack").

9 Replies Related Threads

ai4gf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Seafood South Of Tallahassee 2009/12/24 15:49:11 (permalink)
    The Seineyeard in Woodville is my favorite seafood restaurant in the Tallahassee area.  They are more of a fried seafood rather than broiled kind of place , whereas I think of Angelo's as a better broiled than fried place.  Be sure to get the house dressing, a greek feta/ranch dressing.  Just good, fresh seafood in good portions.

I agree on the lack of good seafood places within Tallahassee.  We briefly had a Stinky's Fish Camp, which was better than the name indicates, but it was only open a few weeks before it burned down.  they do plan to rebuild, though.

Mimi_Reeves
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Seafood South Of Tallahassee 2010/04/09 14:38:21 (permalink)
    If you are traveling south of  Tally and happen to be going down near the Bay area, Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater, I can recommend a great place for grouper and shrimp.
    On Hudson Beach, U.S. 19 in Hudson, turn at the sign for Hudson Beach called "Clark St." and head towards the beach. Can't miss the place. Inn on the Gulf.  Great fish, sweetest, flakiest grouper I have tasted.  Lunch specials are fair priced.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    Re:Seafood South Of Tallahassee 2010/04/12 11:57:53 (permalink)
    Barnicle Bill's in Tallahasse is OK.  The raw & baked oyster prices have jumped quite a bit.  http://www.barnaclebills.com/

George & Louie's in Thomasville, GA (40 or so miles N. of Tally is good also).  Their Greek salads are killer.  Their sweet 'tater fries are yummy.  :)
    http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-13893363R-george_louie_s_thomasville-i  (The do not have a local website.)

The Pond House Restaurant (near Bainbridge, GA and again about 40 miles N. of Tallahassee) has most excellent fried catfish and smoked pork chops.  Again no local website:  http://local.yahoo.com/info-24504691-pond-house-restaurant-brinson

In Dothan, AL (about 60 miles W. of Bainbridge); Go here:
    http://www.huntsrestaurant.com/
    (Go to the oyster bar room in the back; full menu available there also.)  This is one of those 'don't miss' places.  Don't believe me (?); well then; ask The Mayor.  :)
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15244
    Re:Seafood South Of Tallahassee 2010/04/12 21:27:46 (permalink)
    I agree totally with the Adjudicator...   Hunts was (and still is) a great roadfood find for anyone running up and down on US 231 in Southern Alabama !

OYSTERS Raw and Baked

Our Favorite (after Oysters) are the fried CrabClaws !!

And our Dinner  (Shrimp and Oysters!!!)  All done perfectly !

post edited by mayor al - 2010/04/12 21:37:19
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    Re:Seafood South Of Tallahassee 2010/04/12 21:48:55 (permalink)
    here are reviews of 19 Restaurants in Apalachicola, Fl, home of the BEST Oysters in the world!
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g29168-Apalachicola_Florida.html

Let's hear from some of you who have been to some of these places. I've been to several of them, but that was 25 years ago!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/04/12 21:51:27
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    Re:Seafood South Of Tallahassee 2010/04/16 21:07:17 (permalink)
    Foodbme

here are reviews of 19 Restaurants in Apalachicola, Fl, home of the BEST Oysters in the world!
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g29168-Apalachicola_Florida.html

Let's hear from some of you who have been to some of these places. I've been to several of them, but that was 25 years ago!

There is no need to review them, IMO.  Apalalach. oysters shipped locally.  I do miss $3/pound jumbo gulf shrimp from there.  :(

-Sigh

Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Seafood South Of Tallahassee 2010/05/31 08:06:12 (permalink)
    If you get around the voulsia county area theres a place called essix ll excellent seafood !! fried clams (whole belly) etc. not that fancy bt you will get your $$ worth. run by people from mass. also if your traveling west on hiway 40  in the ocala national forrest stop by "Lenas" same thing just simply GREAT new england sea food
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15244
    Re:Seafood South Of Tallahassee 2010/06/03 21:29:22 (permalink)
    Just a few days later and current events are bringing us closer and closer to disaster for seafood lovers in this area. I hope they can find a way to 'boom-off' that wonderful Oyster producing area.

We have loved every visit to the Gulf Shores and hope with all we have that it will be saved.

**** 24 hours later the news shows folks scooping up TarBalls with their little buckets and sand-toy spades on the Pensacola Beaches........
    post edited by mayor al - 2010/06/04 20:39:09
    DeanMac
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Seafood South Of Tallahassee 2010/10/29 13:38:06 (permalink)
    Our favorite is cook our own from what we buy at the local fish store.

Rock shrimp, bay scallops,  crab claw cake, blue crab cake, gumbo and hush puppies.  That was dinner on our last trip to Carrabelle.

The gumpo and blue crab cakes came from our local favorite take out place "Fishermans Wife"  you can see the shrimp boats parked out back.  

Man this post has made me hungry.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1