Seafood in Newport, KY? YES!!!

Author
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
2004/07/13 04:52:18 (permalink)

Seafood in Newport, KY? YES!!!

My wife and I celebrated our fifteenth anniversary on Saturday night and decided on a local place for dinner. The Washington Platform Oyster House had recently opened in a building that once housed another of our favorites called September's, so we were anxious to give it a try. My wife isn't much on seafood of any kind, but she kindly allows me to occasionally indulge as long as the menu features something she'll eat, and the WP fit the bill. We entered to find that we could immediately be seated, which we found odd for 7:00pm on a Saturday night. (They weren't busy, but they weren't dead either.) We started out with a fried oyster appetizer, something I rarely think of, but which sounded pretty good. They were served with cocktail sauce and lemon and were pretty good as it turns out. For my entree I chose something called Blue Crab Bleu, which was a pasta dish that featured chunks of blue crab in a bleu cheese cream sauce. Stuff like this might wind up killing me one day, but this was worth it. Not really teeming with crab, but it didn't matter because the sauce was far and away the star of the show. My bowl was so clean that it could have passed for fresh from the dishwasher. (My new favorite Lenten dish when the time comes.) My wife had a vegetarian dish in a half size. (Which lets her save room for dessert, her reason for living anyway.) Despite the half size, she wasn't able to finish it all, which says something about the portions. It did allow her to save room for the Opera Creme Pie from the Bon Bonerie. (Apologies if I mis-spelled that.) This turned out to be an entirely reasonable night out, the bill coming to $35 despite my wife's two glasses of wine. Definitely not a place to take the kids, the Washington Platform is a great choice for an intimate dinner for two and we plan on giving it another try. If the other two entree's that I decided against are half as good as my meal was, it's already worth it.

4 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    RE: Seafood in Newport, KY? YES!!! 2004/07/13 08:29:24 (permalink)
    I can't bring myself to do anything at the Newport on the Levee complex....too many poor folks robbed of their homes for the sake of having more entertainment for the rich.

Mind you, I am not upset at anyone who goes there, just at how it all came together.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Seafood in Newport, KY? YES!!! 2004/07/14 00:06:30 (permalink)
    You're preaching to the choir, brother. I hate the levee. Kiddy wonderland. We had a laugh at the traffic jam it causes on I-471 on the weekends when we were on our way to Kenwood before dinner. I wouldn't walk across the street to visit there, and I sure wouldn't pay to park.
    When I delivered for Godfather's back in my college days, there was a drop dead looking girl who babysat down in one of those houses one Friday a month. The kids got to order pizza and I got to deliver it. She had a boyfriend at the time, or so she said.
    Washington Platform is nowhere near the levee. It's on Monmouth between 9th & 10th. You can eat with a street view if you want. It was a great meal, especially considering the price, so I told my wife I'd post a review to try to give them a fighting chance.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    RE: Seafood in Newport, KY? YES!!! 2004/07/14 08:29:01 (permalink)
    My bad, it seems like every restaurant opening in Newport is on the Levee
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Seafood in Newport, KY? YES!!! 2004/07/14 22:51:45 (permalink)
    I agree. That's part of what made this a nice experience.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1